ADVERTISEMENT

Be careful what you wish for

capnbillhitters

Gold Member
May 18, 2015
Just checked the Playoff Outlook and am looking forward to Catch-22’s post coming up shortly.

Looks to me like LZ, Bat, SCN & ESL would all land in the Upper Bracket while GW would be in the bottom bracket.

Not questioning the strength of Normal or Hononegah or WB or LWC, or Lincoln Park, but the four teams in the top bracket are arguably playing the best football in the state right now.

I guess ESL could fall to 10 seed which would put them in the bottom bracket possibly setting up a rematch of 2008’s barn burner.

Yowza

Just checked the Playoff Outlook and am looking forward to Catch-22’s post coming up shortly.

Looks to me like LZ, Bat, SCN & ESL would all land in the Upper Bracket while GW would be in the bottom bracket.

Not questioning the strength of Normal or Hononegah or WB or LWC, or Lincoln Park, but the four teams in the top bracket are arguably playing the best football in the state right now.

I guess ESL could fall to 10 seed which would put them in the bottom bracket possibly setting up a rematch of 2008’s barn burner.

Yowza

With only needing one of the Vally's to win Friday it would seem that GW was definitely 7A however both have tough games and could go 0-2.

Yowza

With only needing one of the Vally's to win Friday it would seem that GW was definitely 7A however both have tough games and could go 0-2.

Don’t think we need either Valley team to win. Joliet West likely will beat Joliet Central today and NV strong possibility of being in on opp wins. WV winning would likely put E’ville in 7A. Even Soucie agrees GW highly likely in 7A which tells me NV has enough to qualify already.

Don’t think we need either Valley team to win. Joliet West likely will beat Joliet Central today and NV strong possibility of being in on opp wins. WV winning would likely put E’ville in 7A. Even Soucie agrees GW highly likely in 7A which tells me NV has enough to qualify already.

I only see 32 points for NV so they will need at least 6 points this Friday. MV would have to beat RI which I believe will be their first win.

I only see 32 points for NV so they will need at least 6 points this Friday. MV would have to beat RI which I believe will be their first win.

Other possibilities. Zion-Benton became a strong possibility when they beat Warren last week. If they beat Lville they are in.

If Z-B, WV and NV all win, you could see MS drop to 7A.

The only thing that may change is looking at all the 4-4 teams in 8A. There’s a very good chance all of them could lose this week. And the ones that win will be shy on playoff points.

There are a couple 5-3 teams that may be shaky as well.

Stay tuned

Other possibilities. Zion-Benton became a strong possibility when they beat Warren last week. If they beat Lville they are in.

If Z-B, WV and NV all win, you could see MS drop to 7A.

Yes, but right now, it can go either way. All need to win or they will not be in. NV don't have the luxury of losing at this point. As a 7A guy I would love for GW to be in 7A however 8A 32 is very shaky and interesting.

The max points NV could get if they lose to GBN on Friday would be 6:
* 4 points for the 4 DVC games played
* 1 point if 0-8 Thornwood beats 3-5 Thornridge
* 1 point if 0-8 Metea beats 4-4 Rock Island.

If all that happened NV would have 38 playoff points.

I don't see both Thornwood and Metea both winning on Friday so it's more likely they would have 37 points (or even 36 if Metea can't handle Rock Island) Not sure that will be enough? I think they have to win and so does GBN so it should be a very chippy and hotly contested game!

Reactions: LHSTigers94

I don't see what you see ( per my previous post). I think NV has to win (and so does GBN) I think it's a crap shoot at 37 playoff points as I've heard 38 is looking like the minimum. I'd like to see NV make it and GBN make it - but I don't think both can if NV loses.

I don't see what you see ( per my previous post). I think NV has to win (and so does GBN) I think it's a crap shoot at 37 playoff points as I've heard 38 is looking like the minimum. I'd like to see NV make it and GBN make it - but I don't think both can if NV loses.

Are you counting the win picked up by GN if they beat NV?

Are you counting the win picked up by GN if they beat NV?

Yes.
* There are 9 DVC teams.
* 8 play each other each week.
* That means 4 games and 4 max points.
* If you lose your game - you get 1 point.
* In the other 3 games you get 3 points. From the 3 teams that won the game.

Then after that: you look at the one DVC team that is playing out of conference (Metea this week - last week it was WWS and they picked up a point for the conference vs Lockport)

Then finally - you look to your non conference game and see what that team did for you on Friday. DVC only has one non con game unfortunately. Normally your one non con game will get you 3 to 5 points during the season but since NV scheduled such a cupcake - this is the big problem with the points and why I think NV has to win to ensure they get in. Litterly they are getting zero points for their non con game which kills them. On the flip side WV is getting 7 points from LWC and probably will end up with 8 points.

This is why I dislike the points thing And the gerrymandering it can bring about. The best thing to do with your non con schedule as a 7A/8A team is play a quality 4A or 5A team in a 4A/5A closed conference and collect 5-7 playoff points.

Last edited:
Nice post. VD21

As an earlier post stated. Cut the season 1 week let everyone in the playoffs. Seed accordingly and move on from there, this way teams don't schedule "cupcakes" etc.

What's going to happen next year with the Valleys when they can't find enough 7/8A teams to play? Scheduling each other 2x in a season is really stupid.

Nice post. VD21

As an earlier post stated. Cut the season 1 week let everyone in the playoffs. Seed accordingly and move on from there, this way teams don't schedule "cupcakes" etc.

What's going to happen next year with the Valleys when they can't find enough 7/8A teams to play? Scheduling each other 2x in a season is really stupid.

Thx! I'm hoping something happens with another conference (we will see) but they can always get games with teams that play in top heavy conferences like FVC, WSS that need to schedule a strong non con.

Teams like
Hindsdale Central
Prairie Ridge
OPRF
ESL
Edwardsville
Stevenson
Etc etc.

All the teams will find the last few games - but they will all be quality teams. So just dump WWS/WN/LP/GBN and replace with some from the above list.

I'm not sure which "version" of the DVC will be tougher - maybe a wash? Maybe tougher depending on the non con selection?

Teams will still schedule to win games if everyone is in. Then it is about seeding.

SWC teams will need games soon with Granite City leaving the conference and Collinsville expected to follow. BV East/West, Alton, Eville and East side will all be looking to fill holes in their schedules.

SWC teams will need games soon with Granite City leaving the conference and Collinsville expected to follow. BV East/West, Alton, Eville and East side will all be looking to fill holes in their schedules.

Yup! WV playing Eville next year. There is lots of talks going on I think for a bunch of non con games between SWC and DVC in future upcoming years which is super awesome and exciting!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT