ADVERTISEMENT

4A North Discussion

Don't let Hinterland see that comment.

Too late! Seriously though, since 6A is already cut and dried, it would be better for everyone, MYSELF included, to discuss the other classes.

Regarding Rochester: I personally do not understand how they keep winning championships against the best the 4A North can offer. After all, they are a "boundaried" program, so how can they be so dominant year after year when we all know that the key to SUCCESS is being "non-boundaried? Come on somebody, help me out here!!

Reactions: Gene K.
It would be refreshing to see a team that is truly competitive with Rochester. I am in FVC guy and Johnsburg used to be part of our conference. Therefore I kind of root for them come playoff time. I'm hoping that they can be the team to truly challenge Rochester.

Haven't seen Johnsburg, and I know they graduated their stud RB from last year, but they've been putting beat downs on everybody they've faced.
I'd like to see Rochester play up. They are similar to some of the suburban private school small class powers in that they play bigger competition during the regular season and then "drop down" for the playoffs.
If anybody is gonna knock off Rochester, I'd think Johnsburg is at the top of that list with Herscher a close second. I'd be higher on Herscher, but their defense seems a bit suspect. Morris would be interesting in 4A, but they are almost certainly 5A.

Haven't seen Johnsburg, and I know they graduated their stud RB from last year, but they've been putting beat downs on everybody they've faced.
I'd like to see Rochester play up. They are similar to some of the suburban private school small class powers in that they play bigger competition during the regular season and then "drop down" for the playoffs.
If anybody is gonna knock off Rochester, I'd think Johnsburg is at the top of that list with Herscher a close second. I'd be higher on Herscher, but their defense seems a bit suspect. Morris would be interesting in 4A, but they are almost certainly 5A.

I don't see Johnsburg being able to knock Rochester off. Despite the scores this Johnsburg team is not as loaded as last years team. Last year was Johnsburg best chance to knock off Rochester and they still got stomped. They will never sniff the title game this year.

Dixon...enlighten me...when did they become a roadblock?

They gave Herscher a great game last year, return their RB, think the kids name was Cox.. they lost their top couple of linemen, but obviously have replaced them.

I don't see Johnsburg being able to knock Rochester off. Despite the scores this Johnsburg team is not as loaded as last years team. Last year was Johnsburg best chance to knock off Rochester and they still got stomped. They will never sniff the title game this year.

Not sure about your last sentence, especially if Morris goes 5A.. who is clearly better than them?

Anyone who has seen Johnsburg play this year knows that while they do not have the big names, they are better than last year. Completely different team. Ask Rochelle if Morris or Johnsburg is better. I am not saying they would beat Rochester (but this year's team is much better suited to do so) but they have to be considered the favorite in the north bracket, regardless of whether Morris goes 4 or 5.

Anyone who has seen Johnsburg play this year knows that while they do not have the big names, they are better than last year. Completely different team. Ask Rochelle if Morris or Johnsburg is better. I am not saying they would beat Rochester (but this year's team is much better suited to do so) but they have to be considered the favorite in the north bracket, regardless of whether Morris goes 4 or 5.
Morris/Rochelle are complete different animals...no disrespect to Johnsburg.

Well the 2 games I watched Johnsburg play last season they struggled to defend the pass. I was at Manteno and the state title game. If Herscher is good enough to make it to play Johnsburg they better get that fixed or it going to be a very tough game. I like the chances of Herscher/Johnsburg in the semis. Would love to see that game. Dixon returns a ton on offense with Cox and company. I also think we will have a much better idea or 4A north after tonight when we see how Raby competes with Phillips. Can't wait to see that score!

Read elsewhere that Unity QB was hurt last week.. seems like that will hurt them

He will not play tonight vs St.Thomas More. Being reevaluated Monday. Possibly return next week vs Rantoul or week 9 vs. Bloomington Central Catholic.

Johnsburg looks very good so far this year, pretty impressive after they lost so much last year..

Can Geneseo make the field?

Johnsburg better than Herscher!

Reactions: pjjp
Well the 2 games I watched Johnsburg play last season they struggled to defend the pass. I was at Manteno and the state title game. If Herscher is good enough to make it to play Johnsburg they better get that fixed or it going to be a very tough game. I like the chances of Herscher/Johnsburg in the semis. Would love to see that game. Dixon returns a ton on offense with Cox and company. I also think we will have a much better idea or 4A north after tonight when we see how Raby competes with Phillips. Can't wait to see that score!
They defend the pass much better but not quite as stout vs the run.

Raby loses to Phillips but gives them a pretty good game. Raby seems like they could be for real with that performance.

Additionally, Althoff was Blah - big plays called back and at times they seemed disinterested.

Game lulled with penalties and turnovers for both only to speed up with the occasional Althoff burst. Not sure if they come with the "business trip" mindset - calm and even - but they are not that good to coast. They need fire always.

Carbondale got a few Personal Fouls and Althoff one late, but it seemed one caused by a foul mouth, based on how the flag was tossed with Crusaders walking away from the ref. A Carbondale DT was in the middle of it all - he was frisky and fun the watch. He got one and as the ref walked off the yards, he impeded him - twice ... the old "I'm standing here" with a puffed chest.

Shocked he did not get tossed.

But one thing, Althoff kept their head.

And they won at their new digs and ceremonial opening. 6-1.

Herscher looked blah last night, plus bounces and calls went against them.. plus don't think Manteno is someone that a 8-1 team wants to face round 1

Herscher looked blah last night, plus bounces and calls went against them.. plus don't think Manteno is someone that a 8-1 team wants to face round 1
I made the trip over to Herscher last night to see the Tigers in action. I came away very impressed by Manteno. That is not the same Manteno team Peotone played week 1. The Warren kid at QB is a player. That being said the paper said Herscher had almost 550 yards of offense. The Tigers struggled in the 1st half to punch the ball in. They probably should have scored 2-3 more Tds in the 1st half. Week 9 matchup with the Blue Devils should be a good one. Looking forward to seeing it. Herscher has to clean up a few things but they are a team that should make a run in 4A

I made the trip over to Herscher last night to see the Tigers in action. I came away very impressed by Manteno. That is not the same Manteno team Peotone played week 1. The Warren kid at QB is a player. That being said the paper said Herscher had almost 550 yards of offense. The Tigers struggled in the 1st half to punch the ball in. They probably should have scored 2-3 more Tds in the 1st half. Week 9 matchup with the Blue Devils should be a good one. Looking forward to seeing it. Herscher has to clean up a few things but they are a team that should make a run in 4A

Manteno not have Steele anymore or did he get moved off QB? That kid pretty much single handedly beat Wilmington, they had nobody that could catch him.

Raby loses to Phillips but gives them a pretty good game. Raby seems like they could be for real with that performance.

I'm sure Raby is good based on them hanging with Phillips. I'd still put them behind Johnsburg and probably Herscher in a head to head matchup.

[2017] Johnsburg (IL) 38, [2017] Herscher (IL) 35
[2017] Johnsburg (IL) 35, [2017] Raby [Al] (Chicago, IL) 28
[2017] Herscher (IL) 38, [2017] Raby [Al] (Chicago, IL) 34
[2017] Herscher (IL) 40, [2017] Dixon (IL) 31
[2017] Herscher (IL) 34, [2017] Morris (IL) 28
[2017] Rochester (IL) 42, [2017] Johnsburg (IL) 28
[2017] Johnsburg (IL) 31, [2017] Althoff Catholic (Belleville, IL) 17

Manteno not have Steele anymore or did he get moved off QB? That kid pretty much single handedly beat Wilmington, they had nobody that could catch him.

Steele is playing wr/RB. He is a load too. The QB now Warren is a very good thrower and a good enough runner to keep you honest. That team will be scary at 6-3 or 5-4 in the playoffa

Looks like latest projections show Morris in 4A.. with injuries they might welcome that..

..and then Unity in 3A, which is good news for them, not sure how far they can go in 4A, saw them against Prairie Central and they looked very mediocre.. QB was ok, but not a great arm.. rest of team looked pretty average.

For the second straight year, Manteno made a major change in the middle of the season...Last year they gave up on any sort of regular running attack and left Zimbelman with an empty backfield, with the rushing attack basically all QB keepers. This year Steele was moved to RB/slot after the first couple games. the Warren kid's arm isn't as strong as Zimbelman's, but he seems to be quite accurate.

Based on the teams Souc has in 4A, my top 16

1. Rochester
2. Highland
3. Morris
4. Johnsburg
5. Herscher
6. Raby
7. Althoff
8. Dixon
9. Peotone
10. Genoa-K
11. Manteno
12. Coal City
13. Herrn
14. Effingham
15. Taylorville
16. Unity

1. Rochester
2. Highland
3. Morris
4. Johnsburg
5. Herscher
6. Raby
7. Althoff
8. Dixon
9. Peotone
10. Genoa-K
11. Manteno
12. Coal City
13. Herrn
14. Effingham
15. Taylorville
16. Unity

I got a screen shot of this HHS! "Johnsburg better than Herscher" and direct from the man himself!! YESssssssssss!!!

1. Rochester
2. Highland
3. Morris
4. Johnsburg
5. Herscher
6. Raby
7. Althoff
8. Dixon
9. Peotone
10. Genoa-K
11. Manteno
12. Coal City
13. Herrn
14. Effingham
15. Taylorville
16. Unity

I think an argument can be made to put Unity at #9, as I think they would beat any of your 9 through 15, though I think any of your last 8 playing each other would be good matchups. Just my biased opinion.

Might move Morris down a few spots based on injuries. Otherwise, pretty good list.

1. Rochester
2. Johnsburg
3. Highland
4. Herscher
5. Morris
6. Raby
7. Althoff
8. Dixon
9. Peotone
10. Unity (if QB is back)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT