ADVERTISEMENT

4A North Discussion

dcaudle68

Oct 13, 2011
Didn't mean to mess up another person's thread, my apologies for that. I think it's pretty clear barring something unforeseen given Althoff's drop this year that Rochester comes out of the 4A south. The new playoff outlook is out and the following teams can all make a case for 4A North Supremency:

Herscher
Raby
Dixon
Unity (Borderline 3A/4A) Probably be south anyway
Johnsburg
Coal City
Rock Island

Assuming at this point Morris stays 5A.

6 legit contenders in my mind.

Couple variables... 5% chance Rochester goes 5A, 20% chance Herscher goes 4A South

I would say the chances of either one is so slim I would not even take it into consideration. Are you ducking Raby already :p

I think the north/south cutoff right now using guru projections is between Pontiac and Herscher...

4A north looks really deep, but Rochester is still king until further notice.

And not sure if anyone else in 4A South can be within 4 scores of them.. but I am working on a masters and havent paid as much attention this year.

Looks like Soucie has both Morris and Dixon going 5A which waters it down a bit. Guess there is a slight chance Herscher heads south. I remember Manteno (north of Herscher) going south a few years back and giving Rochester a pretty good fight. 2 score game.

I'm just going to sit back and smile at everyone discounting Althoff after one poor performance. These are boys, remember, who were hyped about the new stadium - at the school at 5:30 AM for the local FOX station's "pep rally."

New to the board and thought I would give my 2 cents:

If Dixon and Morris both go 5A that takes 2 major roadblocks out of the field for Herscher, Johnsburg, and Raby. Coal City doesn't have enough offense to make a run. I don't see Alleman having the weapons to compete with the top 3. I like Raby from what I have seen this year. The Qb is a beast of an athlete. I'm still going with the 2 teams that made it to the quarterfinals and the state championship last year as the 2 teams that will emerge. Herscher and Johnsburg.

Rochester is still king until someone can beat them. Rochester was too much for Johnsburg last season. Maybe something has changed....maybe not. I would love to see a Rochester/Herscher matchup. I know the skill players for Rochester are really good but Herscher has quite a few skill players of their own. Only time will tell.

Reactions: zowens73
I'm just going to sit back and smile at everyone discounting Althoff after one poor performance. These are boys, remember, who were hyped about the new stadium - at the school at 5:30 AM for the local FOX station's "pep rally."

Not sure anyone is discounting them. Think most here would call them the second best out of will likely be 4A South.

Rochester will breeze to the championship game. Centrailia was just one example of showing how far Althoff has fallen. I see Rochester beating them by 4 scores. Unity might give them a better game than Althoff would

New to the board and thought I would give my 2 cents:

If Dixon and Morris both go 5A that takes 2 major roadblocks out of the field for Herscher, Johnsburg, and Raby. Coal City doesn't have enough offense to make a run. I don't see Alleman having the weapons to compete with the top 3. I like Raby from what I have seen this year. The Qb is a beast of an athlete. I'm still going with the 2 teams that made it to the quarterfinals and the state championship last year as the 2 teams that will emerge. Herscher and Johnsburg.

Rochester is still king until someone can beat them. Rochester was too much for Johnsburg last season. Maybe something has changed....maybe not. I would love to see a Rochester/Herscher matchup. I know the skill players for Rochester are really good but Herscher has quite a few skill players of their own. Only time will tell.

Great insight on your first post. Welcome, look forward to discussing 4A the rest of the season with you.

Their first 3 games were poor performances. The 2 "big" wins were against teams that a good 1A team would beat. By far 4A's "biggest" (pun intended) disappointment to date.

Rochester will breeze to the championship game. Centrailia was just one example of showing how far Althoff has fallen. I see Rochester beating them by 4 scores. Unity might give them a better game than Althoff would

And Unity would be maybe the 7th to 8th best team in 4A North

Cru, how would you say this years Althoff team would fare versus the past 2 years? I'm also curious about this years Rochester squad.

I've never said otherwise - I've only said I see a really good foundation and if they grow like a high school team should, they will be very competitive in 4a. They needed a smack in the mouth. They don't have the elite talent in the skill positions as last year but they have team size and good speed. Until last week, a bloodlust for the ball.

I'd expect after a bit of introspection this week, that will be ignited again.

This is not the team anyone (geography be damned, seed 1-32) wants to see in round three, is my belief.

Cru, how would you say this years Althoff team would fare versus the past 2 years? I'm also curious about this years Rochester squad.
Last year Rochester teams had two elite and one darned good receiver - one of the elites being 6-5. Then a Junior, Nic Baker feed them beautiful pass after another and I'm sure their athleticism helped him as well. He's a senior now - a Derek Leonard QB - and he has many good athletes to feed and he runs it himself too.

They are not big or really nasty on D or running the ball - in the early season games I saw.

With Prairie Central winning last night and going 3-2 with two easy games left, they are in good shape to make the field and shift the north/south line further away from Herscher, Manteno and Coal City

I've never said otherwise - I've only said I see a really good foundation and if they grow like a high school team should, they will be very competitive in 4a. They needed a smack in the mouth. They don't have the elite talent in the skill positions as last year but they have team size and good speed. Until last week, a bloodlust for the ball.

I'd expect after a bit of introspection this week, that will be ignited again.

This is not the team anyone (geography be damned, seed 1-32) wants to see in round three, is my belief.

I would tend to agree with you Crusader if it weren't for them escaping with a 4-point victory last night against a, let's face it, somewhat mediocre team. A victory is a victory however, and any victory from here on out will help their seeding. I just can't see them challenging Rochester even if they make it that far. I see a lot tougher road for them in the playoffs leading up to a POSSIBLE match with the Rockets.

Mediocre, no. They lost respectably to Dunlap and Highland before last night. Play Carbondale next week. They are not an easy Round 1 team.

Unfortunately, the Internet access to the ACHS broadcast crew failed but I listened online to the biggest bunch of homer hoosiers you could imagine - it was glorious! They stroked out over Jaden Lacy who made every catch comparable to OBJ - one-handed and acrobatic. In other words, they played out of their minds and likely their best game of the year, being that this is Week 6.

Add in that Althoff had two TDs off of kicks for 99 and 63 yards - they still have play makers that are faster than most (maybe all?) in 4A. What needs to be corrected - and I thought it had - is penalties and losing touchdowns for stupid penalties.

With a sophomore QB (kid started varsity baseball as a freshman - he's a player) getting used to the game still, they seem to "practice" passing during games - it's getting better! When they need yards, they run it - left or right side, and wide.

The D is swarmy! If even half of the commentary last night was hyperbole, then every tackle a Crusader made was like a Junior Butkus, the toughness of their players praised as the stood to play another down.

In the end, they won another conference game against a better than average team that hates the Crusaders and played very well and has all season long against damned good teams - and next week, they get Carbondale, another team you discount because they are South 7, I assume.

Would be nice if they had 1-32 seeding so folks could see other teams from across the state.

Reactions: Gene K.
Picture should become a bit clearer this week with Raby (6-0) taking on Phillips (6-0). If Raby can pull off the upset I think 4A may start to worry about the kids from the west-side. After talking to a couple coaches and a few players they feel like this is their year and Phillips is in the way but are very beatable.

Picture should become a bit clearer this week with Raby (6-0) taking on Phillips (6-0). If Raby can pull off the upset I think 4A may start to worry about the kids from the west-side. After talking to a couple coaches and a few players they feel like this is their year and Phillips is in the way but are very beatable.

Phillips will win by 30 points but Raby is still the favorite IMO to come out of the 4A North. Phillips could win 8A this year.

Read elsewhere that Unity QB was hurt last week.. seems like that will hurt them

I would love to see a Morris vs Phillips matchup. I know that Phillips has great athletes but Morris is going to line it up and bring it downhill right at you. I think that game would be much closer than some people think. And if Phillips has to come to Morris and play I like Morris in a close, low scoring affair. The same Morris team that was in the 5A semis a year ago. Don't count out the Redskins.

I would love to see a Morris vs Phillips matchup. I know that Phillips has great athletes but Morris is going to line it up and bring it downhill right at you. I think that game would be much closer than some people think. And if Phillips has to come to Morris and play I like Morris in a close, low scoring affair. The same Morris team that was in the 5A semis a year ago. Don't count out the Redskins.

Phillips prefers you run right at them.

I'm pretty sure Morris would gladly take that challenge. I'm not saying Phillips doesn't have a chance. I'm just saying that Morris isn't going to change who they are because Phillips is coming to town. Looking at Phillips schedule they don't play many teams that line it up and run it down your throat. Most if not ALL the teams they play are Spread based zone read teams. Morris might introduce them to a couple of TEs and FBs. Again not saying that Morris beats them easily. Just saying that Phillips would have their hands full with the physical running game of the redskins and the enormous offensive line. If this game happens I will be there no doubt about it.

If a team is going to beat Phillips, will be through the air.. Herscher had over 400 yards passing on them last year.

I'm pretty sure Morris would gladly take that challenge. I'm not saying Phillips doesn't have a chance. I'm just saying that Morris isn't going to change who they are because Phillips is coming to town. Looking at Phillips schedule they don't play many teams that line it up and run it down your throat. Most if not ALL the teams they play are Spread based zone read teams. Morris might introduce them to a couple of TEs and FBs. Again not saying that Morris beats them easily. Just saying that Phillips would have their hands full with the physical running game of the redskins and the enormous offensive line. If this game happens I will be there no doubt about it.

Says Mr. keep Morris out of the I8.

That will not go well for Morris or anyone that tries running right at them. It will be similar to Geneseo a couple of years ago when Geneseo got 2 or 3 first downs the entire game.

Reactions: Redskin_alum_30
If Dixon and Morris both go 5A that takes 2 major roadblocks out of the field for Herscher, Johnsburg, and Raby. Coal City doesn't have enough offense to make a run.

Dixon...enlighten me...when did they become a roadblock?

It would be refreshing to see a team that is truly competitive with Rochester. I am in FVC guy and Johnsburg used to be part of our conference. Therefore I kind of root for them come playoff time. I'm hoping that they can be the team to truly challenge Rochester.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT