ADVERTISEMENT

4-5 teams and playoffs

Lockport this season represents an anecdotal case favoring playoff expansion. They lose a difference-making starting QB from last season after the first 6 quarters of football this year. Some team struggles understandably follow. He returns Week 8 to start what will be a 2-game run, including somewhat of an upset last Friday. Here is a 4-5 team that belongs in.

Lockport this season represents an anecdotal case favoring playoff expansion. They lose a difference-making starting QB from last season after the first 6 quarters of football this year. Some team struggles understandably follow. He returns Week 8 to start what will be a 2-game run, including somewhat of an upset last Friday. Here is a 4-5 team that belongs in.

Imagine if they had scheduled a weaker team in week 1 or 2 for non conference. Likely would be a 5-4 playoff team and people would be talking about a massive 1 year turnaround, coach of the year discussion for sure.

Reactions: Gene K.
Imagine if they had scheduled a weaker team in week 1 or 2 for non conference. Likely would be a 5-4 playoff team and people would be talking about a massive 1 year turnaround, coach of the year discussion for sure.

Lol
Lockport maybe on the up swing but they are a very long way from being a top team we can talk about. They have 1 win against a team with a winning record. Andrew! Yet we have people talking about how they should be in the playoffs this year! Why? Stagg this week to round off their proud schedule of games they won. The school has 4,000 kids. No excuses all teams have injuries.

Reactions: forlouann
Lol
Lockport maybe on the up swing but they are a very long way from being a top team we can talk about. They have 1 win against a team with a winning record. Andrew! Yet we have people talking about how they should be in the playoffs this year! Why? Stagg this week to round off their proud schedule of games they won. The school has 4,000 kids. No excuses all teams have injuries.
No one said they were a top team yet.
But, considering they were 2-7 two years ago and 0-9 last year it’s a pretty damn good turn around.

Lol

Nowhere did I say they were a top team. Nowhere did I say they have a great schedule. The fact remains they almost were a playoff 5-4 team after a winless season, and if they did make the playoffs this year Czart would be getting accolades.

Reactions: Gene K. and Bwm57
Lockport sophs are 8-0 including haven beaten all of LWE, HF and Brook. Yes, I know, it is "only" sophomore ball.
What is the point? Needs to translate to varsity and also for your QB getting hurt ..it's part of the game. If tom Brady gets hurt and the pats go 6 and 10 should they make the playoffs if he comes back?

Nowhere did I say they were a top team. Nowhere did I say they have a great schedule. The fact remains they almost were a playoff 5-4 team after a winless season, and if they did make the playoffs this year Czart would be getting accolades.

Not saying you did. I apologize if I offended you. I am only reacting to earlier posts about LP. I feel like people are hoping the new coach has turned things around faster than even he could expect. This IMO is setting him up to fail. Give the guy a chance to change the culture, get to know the players and community so he can develop the program. It takes time. In a lot of ways it’s tougher to turn around what was once a proud winning program than starting with a new program.

Ok so at this point the playoff outlook page doesn’t mean squat besides a at this moment look “if it ended today look”

The outlook has improved over the years, but if you must it is in effect the if the season ended today list...Saturday at 5 the updated outlook would give us the classes, which can directly be converted into brackets for the 1-32 seeded classes. But as the season goes on, it gives a feeling for where the class splits might be...and it tells me that McNamara's hopes for dropping to 3A are probably dashed (they were 3A a couple weeks), and that Coal City will likely be the #1 seed in 4A because Mt. Zion will likely be eased into 5A with their abundance of playoff points after leading 4A all year...

Mt. Zion will likely be eased into 5A with their abundance of playoff points after leading 4A all year...
I’m not sure what your reference to playoff points means?
Their attendance could put them in 5A, not their playoff points.

I’m not sure what your reference to playoff points means?
Their attendance could put them in 5A, not their playoff points.

Mt. Zion has been the #1 team in the 4A outlook all season. Their 41 playoff points is second among all 8-0 teams after 8 weeks. But the 3A glut is likely to push them into 5A...

Mt. Zion has been the #1 team in the 4A outlook all season. Their 41 playoff points is second among all 8-0 teams after 8 weeks. But the 3A glut is likely to push them into 5A...
Teams don’t really get pushed up, but ok.
All I was saying is their number of playoff points is irrelevant, once they qualify their attendance is all that will determine what class they are in. Whether they were the number 1 ranked team during the season in 4 A or the 32nd if they have the largest attendance they would be the first team to slot into 5A.

Reactions: Gene K.
It is important to remember that a school's classification is not determined until the 256-team field has been selected on the final day of the season. The classes used in the Associated Press polls are a best guess at the final determinations, but they are unofficial and can be misleading. The fact that the AP ranks a school all season in a certain class has no bearing on the school's ultimate classification in the state playoffs. This can be determined only at season's end, after the entire 256-team field is selected.

So no,they really don't get pushed up or down since you really dont have a classification untill Saturday evening of pairings.

Reactions: Curtain 25
It is important to remember that a school's classification is not determined until the 256-team field has been selected on the final day of the season. The classes used in the Associated Press polls are a best guess at the final determinations, but they are unofficial and can be misleading. The fact that the AP ranks a school all season in a certain class has no bearing on the school's ultimate classification in the state playoffs. This can be determined only at season's end, after the entire 256-team field is selected.

So no,they really don't get pushed up or down since you really dont have a classification untill Saturday evening of pairings.
Amen !

There are games that will change what class some teams are in tonight.

Reactions: go dogz
The point trying to be made is that there are no classes until Saturday night...

Yes there are. They are JUST not final until tomorrow and 90% of the teams playing in Illinois know what class they are due to the math and history.

Yes there are. They are JUST not final until tomorrow and 90% of the teams playing in Illinois know what class they are due to the math and history.
Correct... not final until Saturday night...

Mchsalumni, No, actually they don’t.
If you are using projections of who MIGHT qualify they do move up or down as teams qualify or when they are ELIMINATED from the projections.
Because they start the count with 8A the first 32 teams that QUALIFY for the playoffs are technically in 8A, regardless of their enrollment, until more teams qualify. The next 32 are 7A and so on until all 256 slots are filled. Once there are 32 teams that have QUALIFIED that have larger enrollment than your school you will never be “pushed up” to 8 A you can only be pushed down to a lower class when a larger school qualifies after you.
When a school with a smaller enrollment qualifies after you they don’t “push the other qualified schools up”, because that would now mean the largest qualified school would fall off. Which, of course, doesn’t happen.
When you are talking PROJECTIONS sure, if a larger school that was PROJECTED to get in does not get in you might move up but you never move up over other qualified schools.
You have to think about the concept for a while to get it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT