ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Bears draft

MS4EVER

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2004
The Bears have two second round picks, one fifth round, two sixth round and one seventh round pick. After this s#!+ show of a season who do you suggest the Bears draft?

There should not be one pick that doesn't play offensive line.

FA target TE, DE and QB.

Tell me we don’t have an underused TE in CP. What is a TE in today’s West Coast 2.0 offense anyway but a body-type speed mismatch creator in safety valve passes.

Maybe CP can’t block but he’s done everything coaches have asked him to do (RB in NE) so I think he will block (maybe not as good as Kittle or Kelce but who does). Dudes a football player and him being under used this year is very telling to me of Nagy’s ability.

Tell me we don’t have an underused TE in CP. What is a TE in today’s West Coast 2.0 offense anyway but a body-type speed mismatch creator in safety valve passes.

Maybe CP can’t block but he’s done everything coaches have asked him to do (RB in NE) so I think he will block (maybe not as good as Kittle or Kelce but who does). Dudes a football player and him being under used this year is very telling to me of Nagy’s ability.
You’re right about that. Most electric player on that offense for sure.

Reactions: RockSoup
The last thing the Bears want to do with a mid second round draft pick and another second rounder is to have tunnel vision.

In my opinion, the Bears should draft the best player available at that point in the draft, whether he plays offense or defense. There are such things as trades during or after the draft. These GMs do talk, to a point. I would not draft an offensive guy just for the sake of drafting one. At that point there may not be a lot of impact offensive guys left. But, there might be a guy on defensive side who has more of an upside and someone they can move to get a better guy on offense. That kind of thing happens more than you think. Creativity is gold.

A theory is out there that the Bears were dead set on Trubisky and moved up in the draft because SF might draft him with the idea of trading him. Draft the best player with the idea of being creative depending on who you get.

Trade all the 2020 picks for 2021 and stack 2021 draft, in the mean time go to the FA market and forget about anything better than a 6-10 2020 and build the future like I said a few years ago. There is NO short term fix...it’s the long play that needs to be the focus.

Trade all the 2020 picks for 2021 and stack 2021 draft, in the mean time go to the FA market and forget about anything better than a 6-10 2020 and build the future like I said a few years ago. There is NO short term fix...it’s the long play that needs to be the focus.
While I don’t disagree at all from a big picture organizational perspective, that is simply not possible. This regime (both coaching and front office) knows a 5 win clunker of 2020 is the end of the road. So they have to play to win immediately. And as soon as they made the Mack trade they forced their hand to play to win in 18,19, and 20.

would love to see them tank next year and stack 2021 draft picks but you can really only do that in the early years of a front office or if you have a front office with an established track record.

Reactions: go dogz
There should not be one pick that doesn't play offensive line.

FA target TE, DE and QB.

I think Bears #44 could be a good TE. Just need to find out if he can catch.

With Roquan back next year you could give Kwiatkowski a try at TE. He seems to already have a Kittle mentality.

Last edited:
I can't see any sense of this team tanking any more seasons. The 2021 season is a long way from now as far as teams go. I guarantee the defense will not look like it does today. This isn't baseball and football careers are short. Also, does anyone here know how all the defensive contracts line up? That is a big question.

The defense is and has been ready. The kicking game is not stellar, but it is adequate. They have to figure a way to get competitive next year, offensively. And their work is really cut out for them because of the squeeze they are under regarding the cap

The Bears seriously need to change their thinking, offensively

Reactions: Gene K.
The defense is and has been ready. The kicking game is not stellar, but it is adequate. They have to figure a way to get competitive next year, offensively. And their work is really cut out for them because of the squeeze they are under regarding the cap

The Bears seriously need to change their thinking, offensively
It really is astonishing to look back at why Nagy was allegedly hired. John Fox was thought to be a defensive coach first, and an offensive dinosaur. IMO, both of those thoughts are basically true. Nagy was allegedly going to modernize the offense and bring a more cutting edge approach to developing a young QB. Has Nagy even remotely met either one of those challenges. The offense is one of the worst in the league. And how is that young QB's development looking at the moment?

It really is astonishing to look back at why Nagy was allegedly hired. John Fox was thought to be a defensive coach first, and an offensive dinosaur. IMO, both of those thoughts are basically true. Nagy was allegedly going to modernize the offense and bring a more cutting edge approach to developing a young QB. Has Nagy even remotely met either one of those challenges. The offense is one of the worst in the league. And how is that young QB's development looking at the moment?
I won't disagree with anything you said. It is impossible to see into the future because Nagy came here with high recommendations and what looked like a modern type of offensive guy. There were more than just the Bears interested in him. A couple of us did warn about the Chiefs' collapse in the playoffs to the Titans that year due to Nagy's going conservative in the second half of that game as OC. Maybe you did too. I don't remember.

But, even with that, I didn't think he would be this bad. Is Trubisky making Nagy look bad? Or is Nagy making Trubisky look bad? OR, is a combination of the two?

I think Bears #44 could be a good TE. Just need to find out if he can catch.

With Roquan back next year you could give Kwiatkowski a try at TE. He seems to already have a Kittle mentality.
LOL What? He's about to make coin as a LB in free agency. He's not even in our control, let alone to switch positions

LOL What? He's about to make coin as a LB in free agency. He's not even in our control, let alone to switch positions

Yes I know I really like this guy at LB.

Just think he could play TE too if he wanted to.

I won't disagree with anything you said. It is impossible to see into the future because Nagy came here with high recommendations and what looked like a modern type of offensive guy. There were more than just the Bears interested in him. A couple of us did warn about the Chiefs' collapse in the playoffs to the Titans that year due to Nagy's going conservative in the second half of that game as OC. Maybe you did too. I don't remember.

But, even with that, I didn't think he would be this bad. Is Trubisky making Nagy look bad? Or is Nagy making Trubisky look bad? OR, is a combination of the two?
I have seen every MS QB over the last twenty years make throws that Trubisky doesn’t. It’s the QB

Reactions: Wassup13
Lamar Jackson, Tom Brady, Pat Mahomes, DeShaun Watson... Top AFC Playoff Teams ...

Jimmy Garopollo, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Carson Wentz, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins... Top NFC Playoff Teams ....

It's no secret what is needed to win in the NFL...

Lamar Jackson, Tom Brady, Pat Mahomes, DeShaun Watson... Top AFC Playoff Teams ...

Jimmy Garopollo, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Carson Wentz, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins... Top NFC Playoff Teams ....

You had me until Kirk Cousins. Yes, playoff team-not top nfc qb. As evidenced by last nights performance. He must have ticked off his Oline. They did him no favors either-

I agree...you need a good QB to win. But you have to look at all the supporting players for each of these QBs too. Every great QB has had good to great receivers. Every one of them.

Cris Collinsworth said on Sunday night that the Bears top receiver, Allen Robinson, would most likely be a number three on most good teams.

I am not disagreeing. You need a good QB. But you must also have a good O line and play makers to handle the ball. And the Bears are seriously lacking in all three departments.

My hope is the Bears got comfortable after 2018’s success and lost the edge they had going into 2019.

Hopefully the embarrassment of this season motivates all and they get it back for 2020. Hoping Nagy has a GREAT offseason figuring out how to improve his offense.

our offensive personnel needs improvement. Needs to be addressed.

I have seen every MS QB over the last twenty years make throws that Trubisky doesn’t. It’s the QB
And I am here to tell you, Trubisky, while never going to be a top tier QB, has little help. The Bears O line is terrible and the have no play makers who handle the ball with the exception of Robinson. This is the Rex Grossman, Jay Cutler, Mike Glennon, etc. argument. Gee if the Bears just had a good QB they would be champions. No, no and NO.

Do you know who George Kittle is? He's the TE out in SF and is arguably one of the best in the NFL. They drafted him in the fifth round the same year the Bears drafted Shaheen in the second round. How did that work out for both teams?

While Trubisky is a bust, the problem goes far deeper than just that.

Last edited:
How much did the Bears invest on the offensive side of the ball in draft picks and $$ the last 3 years??

The o line had contracts renegotiated paying them big time.

You don't know what you have on the offensive side of the ball until you get a great QB.

The first 7 plays of the game the Bears are calling HS plays. Why because Tribs can't handle NFL plays.

The o line gave up on Tribs a long time ago. So has 75% of the team except for Robinson. The Bears are a joke.

For the 1st time in 100 years they could have brought in one of the league's best quarterbacks. This is a very rare opportunity to get.

No they opted for the fools gold quarterback and that's where we are at now.

From coaching staff on down to the players, they all need to put their tails between their legs and quietly work their butts off in the off-season and get more game reps in pre-season. Nobody wants to hear the rationalizations, explanations and excuses for this sorry display. Circle the wagons, stay out of the limelight and get after preparing for next year. Their disappointing record should naturally keep them all from popping off about great they are - what we heard far too much of from last summer on. Tone down the rhetoric and minimize the time and content in front of the cameras and microphones. Far too much self-stroking occurred after last season. Winning talks, bulls**t walks ... out of the locker room after season-ending Game 16 without playoffs. Start by taking a pass on the interviews driving out of the Halas Hall complex next Monday as a good faith gesture to the fans.

And I am here to tell you, Trubisky, while never going to be a top tier QB, has little help. The Bears O line is terrible and the have no play makers who handle the ball with the exception of Robinson. This is the Rex Grossman, Jay Cutler, Mike Glennon, etc. argument. Gee if the Bears just had a good QB they would be champions. No, no and NO.

Do you know who George Kittle is? He's the TE out in SF and is arguably one of the best in the NFL. They drafted him in the fifth round the same year the Bears drafted Shaheen in the second round. How did that work out for both teams?

While Trubisky is a bust, the problem goes far deeper than just that.
I do agree with 99% of what you say. But sometimes a good QB can make a WRs career. It almost always seems like NE takes average guys and makes them great.

Reactions: jwarigaku
Trade Mack and recover assets at the deadline next year if this thing goes astray. Floyd must go, bring in Kap/Mariota/Winston to compete this training camp. We aren't getting rid of Mitch, we'd put him at receiver before that happens. This window is 1-2 yrs, once you pay the QB money dwindles for other positotns

I do agree with 99% of what you say. But sometimes a good QB can make a WRs career. It almost always seems like NE takes average guys and makes them great.
I agree, a good QB can help a WR and vice-versa. But what do the Bears really have at the WR position, OL, TE or RB? Not much at all. And a bad QB does make it all look worse.

But, if we are going to talk about replacing the QB, we had better talk about other positions as well. No QB is going to help this team much if the O line isn't doing its job.

It eventually comes down to the Bears doing a horrible job of assessing offensive talent. And this isn't new.

Trade Mack and recover assets at the deadline next year if this thing goes astray. Floyd must go, bring in Kap/Mariota/Winston to compete this training camp. We aren't getting rid of Mitch, we'd put him at receiver before that happens. This window is 1-2 yrs, once you pay the QB money dwindles for other positotns
Interesting. Just a few problems here. No one is going to pick up Mack's contract. And if he goes, there will be a big hole. He has been doubled most of the year. Someone has to pick that slack up.

As for the QBs you mention. Absolutely no way. Kap - will bring in more trouble and problems than he "might" solve. Mariota - the guy got benched this year by a team that has a grand total of one more win than the Bears. I believe Tennessee was 2-4 when he was benched. He is not better than what we already have and his QBR was 30.8 when he was benched. Winston - has thrown 28 INTs compared to 31 TDs. His QB rating is almost identical to Trubisky. The next closest guy to Winston's number on INTs is Baker Mayfield of Cleveland with 18.

I seriously don not think any of these guys competing with Trubisky will make Mitchell a better QB. And none of them will improve the Bears.

They are up against the cap.

Not sure if it's been noted yet, but they will likely get a 4th rounder as comp for Amos. They might have an extra 5th from the Mack trade (conditions unknown). Also the sixth from the Howard trade could become a fifth (conditions unknown)

How much did the Bears invest on the offensive side of the ball in draft picks and $$ the last 3 years??

The o line had contracts renegotiated paying them big time.

Please, please, please do not tell me you are saying the Bears O line is ok because they extended Jay Leno and his buddy on the other side who look like turnstiles most plays and cannot run block...

Please, please, please do not tell me you are saying the Bears O line is ok because they extended Jay Leno and his buddy on the other side who look like turnstiles most plays and cannot run block...

They were paying Long big time too for nothing. Pace invested big in the line so he must have believed in them too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT