ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Bears draft

Draft a tackle in the second round. Leno & Massie are frightening at times. Make one of them a backup...Then a real tight end.

The biggest need I think is to bring in an offensive coordinator. Nagy bit off too much trying to HC and OC at the same time. The jet sweep and the one yard crossing pattern are not compatible, you can't run them 10x a game in the NFL.

And play in the preseason. Having to work on timing during the regular season in base plays is silly...

I give Kyle Long a pass. Before they stupidly moved him to tackle, he was an All Pro at guard. That was incredibly stupid on the Bears' part. Then, he had a host of injuries.

Sorry, but Long was all-pro at guard MANY years ago and even MORE injuries ago... the guys career is over, and its shown on tape whenever hes been able to be on the field past 3 years.

I agree with OL and TE for Bears in round 2, then make your move with a 1st rd QB next yr when you’ve got your pick back. I’d also double down on OL late in draft.

Taking away playcalling from Nagy is the most important thing to do this offseason unless we can fire him (I don’t think Bears will.. yet). Nagy has proven hes one of the worst playcallers in the league, and the bears need to address that quickly.

Sorry, but Long was all-pro at guard MANY years ago and even MORE injuries ago... the guys career is over, and its shown on tape whenever hes been able to be on the field past 3 years.

I agree with OL and TE for Bears in round 2, then make your move with a 1st rd QB next yr when you’ve got your pick back. I’d also double down on OL late in draft.

Taking away playcalling from Nagy is the most important thing to do this offseason unless we can fire him (I don’t think Bears will.. yet). Nagy has proven hes one of the worst playcallers in the league, and the bears need to address that quickly.
I don't need you to tell me when Long was an All Pro and what position it was. I know. My point was, he shouldn't have been moved.

Reactions: Gene K.
Is Trubisky making Nagy look bad? Or is Nagy making Trubisky look bad? OR, is a combination of the two?
Repeatedly overthrowing wide open receivers shows you where the problem is. Trubisky can't do it and Nagy can't teach it. Keep Nagy but Ragone and Helfrich have to go. If you get rid of Nagy, go get Mike McCarthy. He's got some revenge on his mind.

Amazing how DeShawn Watson has one of the worst offensive lines in football and no QB gets hit more than Watson.

Yet his teams record is very good.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Bears no TDs in the 1st half in 10 of 15 games this year.

Is that going to continue vs the Vikings 2nd string defense?

Bears offense ranked 28th in the league. Is that what you had in mind Pace when you drafted Trubisky?

How the Bears offense works (the guy on the right)...

Last edited:
Bears no TDs in the 1st half in 10 of 15 games this year.

Is that going to continue vs the Vikings 2nd string defense?

Bears offense ranked 28th in the league. Is that what you had in mind Pace when you drafted Trubisky?

I don’t believe Pace is on Edgy to read your post. Lol

Reactions: Wassup13
IMO - too many in this thread are making completely valid football based decisions which will ultimately never happen due to the business and people aspect being ignored.
  • Trade Mack? - after what? two years? Pace bet the house on this trade. He can't give up on it after two years. It won't happen.
  • Fire Nagy? - again, two years in? The team made the playoffs in year one with a stellar defense and obviously improved offense. Could finish year two 8-8. On average there are 4 new playoff teams each of the past ~5 years. Bears aren't making the jump from bottom dweller to perennial playoff team in a year. It won't happen.
  • Replace Trubisky? - Pace bet the house on him. It's clear he has major deficiencies. it's clear he may not be a top tier NFL QB. I am not a fan of him in any way. That said, there is almost zero chance that Pace can fold his cards 3 years in to this experiment given his other gambles. Trubisky will be on the team in 2020. Pace and Nagy will have to adjust personal/game calling for the personal they have in 2020, not the personal they wish to have. Trubisky will be a Bear in 2020.
  • The draft/free agency - too many holes and too few draft picks. Pace has to prioritize certain holes vs available free agents and the best available at each Bears draft pick.
    • The Bears need to resign Robinson - he's their only receiver threat despite some talent in the lower ranks. They can't afford a high draft pick here or FA experiment vs a known commodity. Throw the $$ his way.
    • The Bears need OL help - their OL has majorly regressed this year. They've made rather dramatic mid season moves to address this without major benefits. They need to find the next one/two pro-bowl caliber offensive linemen now. 50/50 draft and FA focus.
    • Offensive parts - certified whiff on Sheehan. Open questions on lower tier WRs. Bears need to find supplemental offensive weapons that can plug in now. What happened to Burton? Find the answer in FA, supplement in the draft.
    • QB Competition - Bears need to plan the post Trubisky era. The combo Glennon signing and Trubisky trade up/draft in year one was ridiculous, but this is the year to mirror similar competition. No, don't pay a backup 15M$ per year, and I personally wouldn't spend a draft back in Round 1-4 on a QB, but an adequate back up that will force some competition is needed. That back up though, is not our savior.
    • Defense - need to pad the D-Line. Floyd is valuable, but not the answer opposite Mack. Hicks needs support. The secondary will always need some help. This is un-arguably still the strength of the team and will continue to be the focused strength in 2020. Draft and FA to address.
At the end of the day, the 2020 Bears should look largely similar to the 2019 Bears. Too many have put too much on the line to give up in such short time. I would hope for a few free agent signings on the offensive skill and line positions, coupled with best available people per our holes/draft picks.

I would expect the GM, Coach, and QB to remain the same. It will be up to them to figure out how to play together successfully. The great teams and coaches expand on their strengths and limit their weaknesses regardless of the year to year personal. Pace, Nagy, and the players need to each prove they can do the same.

Reactions: Gene K.
IMO - too many in this thread are making completely valid football based decisions which will ultimately never happen due to the business and people aspect being ignored.
  • Trade Mack? - after what? two years? Pace bet the house on this trade. He can't give up on it after two years. It won't happen.
  • Fire Nagy? - again, two years in? The team made the playoffs in year one with a stellar defense and obviously improved offense. Could finish year two 8-8. On average there are 4 new playoff teams each of the past ~5 years. Bears aren't making the jump from bottom dweller to perennial playoff team in a year. It won't happen.
  • Replace Trubisky? - Pace bet the house on him. It's clear he has major deficiencies. it's clear he may not be a top tier NFL QB. I am not a fan of him in any way. That said, there is almost zero chance that Pace can fold his cards 3 years in to this experiment given his other gambles. Trubisky will be on the team in 2020. Pace and Nagy will have to adjust personal/game calling for the personal they have in 2020, not the personal they wish to have. Trubisky will be a Bear in 2020.
  • The draft/free agency - too many holes and too few draft picks. Pace has to prioritize certain holes vs available free agents and the best available at each Bears draft pick.
    • The Bears need to resign Robinson - he's their only receiver threat despite some talent in the lower ranks. They can't afford a high draft pick here or FA experiment vs a known commodity. Throw the $$ his way.
    • The Bears need OL help - their OL has majorly regressed this year. They've made rather dramatic mid season moves to address this without major benefits. They need to find the next one/two pro-bowl caliber offensive linemen now. 50/50 draft and FA focus.
    • Offensive parts - certified whiff on Sheehan. Open questions on lower tier WRs. Bears need to find supplemental offensive weapons that can plug in now. What happened to Burton? Find the answer in FA, supplement in the draft.
    • QB Competition - Bears need to plan the post Trubisky era. The combo Glennon signing and Trubisky trade up/draft in year one was ridiculous, but this is the year to mirror similar competition. No, don't pay a backup 15M$ per year, and I personally wouldn't spend a draft back in Round 1-4 on a QB, but an adequate back up that will force some competition is needed. That back up though, is not our savior.
    • Defense - need to pad the D-Line. Floyd is valuable, but not the answer opposite Mack. Hicks needs support. The secondary will always need some help. This is un-arguably still the strength of the team and will continue to be the focused strength in 2020. Draft and FA to address.
At the end of the day, the 2020 Bears should look largely similar to the 2019 Bears. Too many have put too much on the line to give up in such short time. I would hope for a few free agent signings on the offensive skill and line positions, coupled with best available people per our holes/draft picks.

I would expect the GM, Coach, and QB to remain the same. It will be up to them to figure out how to play together successfully. The great teams and coaches expand on their strengths and limit their weaknesses regardless of the year to year personal. Pace, Nagy, and the players need to each prove they can do the same.
All this said, I will gladly eat crow and be proven wrong if the Bears take alternative approaches and actually improve in 2020.

Trade the house and see if you can get Cincinnati #1 pick Burrows. Build your team around a franchise QB. This guy will be good. I could live with a few down years to do so. Heck we’re most likely headed for some down years anyway.

Reactions: Wassup13
[QUOTE="stonedlizard, post: 235531, member: 7136"
The Bears need OL help - their OL has majorly regressed this year. They've made rather dramatic mid season moves to address this without major benefits. They need to find the next one/two pro-bowl caliber offensive linemen now. 50/50 draft and FA focus.
    • Defense - need to pad the D-Line. Floyd is valuable, but not the answer opposite Mack. Hicks needs support. The secondary will always need some help. This is un-arguably still the strength of the team and will continue to be the focused strength in 2020. Draft and FA to address.[/QUOTE]
If Charles Leno is still on the roster next year, there needs to be an investigation. Yes, Left-tackles are difficult to find, but Leno is the worst Left-tackle in the league. Cut ties now.

I would not pick up the option year on Floyd. He will not be worth the money. You can find a much cheaper alternative who can do what he does.

The Bears need OL help - their OL has majorly regressed this year. They've made rather dramatic mid season moves to address this without major benefits. They need to find the next one/two pro-bowl caliber offensive linemen now. 50/50 draft and FA focus.
If Charles Leno is still on the roster next year, there needs to be an investigation. Yes, Left-tackles are difficult to find, but Leno is the worst Left-tackle in the league. Cut ties now.

I would not pick up the option year on Floyd. He will not be worth the money. You can find a much cheaper alternative who can do what he does.[/QUOTE]

Agree about Floyd what does he do when Mack is double teamed on every play? Make him part of the trade.

Trade the house and see if you can get Cincinnati #1 pick Burrows. Build your team around a franchise QB. This guy will be good. I could live with a few down years to do so. Heck we’re most likely headed for some down years anyway.
Corey, we HAVE been living with down years. This was supposed to be the team that went to a Super Bowl, remember??

I would not pick up the option year on Floyd. He will not be worth the money. You can find a much cheaper alternative who can do what he does.[/QUOTE]

They already picked up Floyd’s 5th year option.

It really is astonishing to look back at why Nagy was allegedly hired. John Fox was thought to be a defensive coach first, and an offensive dinosaur. IMO, both of those thoughts are basically true. Nagy was allegedly going to modernize the offense and bring a more cutting edge approach to developing a young QB. Has Nagy even remotely met either one of those challenges. The offense is one of the worst in the league. And how is that young QB's development looking at the moment?

Do you remember the first quarter/third of the 2018 season in Nagy's first several games as HC? I'm not really a student of the game, so take this for what it's worth, but it seems to me that the play calling back then was far more imaginative than it has been since then. I have the feeling that Nagy has a very robust playbook that has been considerably limited/dumbed down to match the talent he has available.

Reactions: stonedlizard
What's the typical ramp up time for an OL drafted player out of college into the NFL? Instead of drafting inexperienced players to improve the OL over time while picking up a veteran FA QB like Newton or Mariota in 2020 ... why not go the other way?

Get the needed OL help via FA with NFL ready players that can immediately impact the 2020 season and then draft a young mobile QB like Jalen Hurts?

Young mobile QBs have done pretty well in the NFL recently (Balt, Hou, KC, etc..) plus that also reinforces Trubisky's ideal skill set as clear cut backup and decent option if QB1 gets injured.

The defense is already a win now unit so FA OL help might not require as long as a few college OL if they prove to be projects while any FA vet QB gets punished and frustrated .... and since Trubisky is mobile, adding another young mobile QB in the draft would give the Bears a QB1 & QB1a for the 2020 season that would be less likely to get frustrated by taking hits ... and that could help to try to win now to go along with the defense so that unit isn't wasted while the offense rebuilds over time ...

Just my 2 cents.....

Reactions: stonedlizard
If the focus of this team isn’t on three things this offseason everyone gets clipped.

QB
OL
TE

you realistically can add linebacker safety and wide receiver to this too.

Lots to fix but if you don’t address one and two on what I listed above it won’t matter.

not sure anyone could have succeeded behind this offensive line but Mitch has proven he isn’t an NFL level QB.

it’s a very good draft for QB.

Do they cut Mitch loose, sign Eli and draft a kid? Maybe not sign Eli but sign a veteran that can start right away.

Question.

Could Mitch possibly play another position for the Bears with his speed?

Slot reciever, PT running back, return kicks.

I just found out TE George Kittle was drafted in the 5th round. What a pick!!

Imagine Deshawn Watson pitching it to George Kittle. Instead we have nobody because Shaheen is on IR.

Last edited:
If the focus of this team isn’t on three things this offseason everyone gets clipped.

QB
OL
TE

you realistically can add linebacker safety and wide receiver to this too.

Lots to fix but if you don’t address one and two on what I listed above it won’t matter.

not sure anyone could have succeeded behind this offensive line but Mitch has proven he isn’t an NFL level QB.

it’s a very good draft for QB.

Do they cut Mitch loose, sign Eli and draft a kid? Maybe not sign Eli but sign a veteran that can start right away.

OL before QB.

No Eli, maybe a run at Teddy Bridgewater.

OL before QB.

No Eli, maybe a run at Teddy Bridgewater.

agree. Jim Finks always had said build your rosters from the line out. Look at the top seeds in each conference, they both have dominant offensive lines.

I like the Bridgewater thing but it could be too pricey.

Reactions: mchsalumni
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT