ADVERTISEMENT

WIU fired head football coach, maybe they should look…

Derrick is a great coach, but WIU is about as good of a job as any HS coach with no college experience will get. There is so much more to coaching in college than just Xs and Os that hes never done before. Of all of the unbelievable HS coaches out there, why haven't these middling D1 programs picked off a few and turned their programs around?
This is why I think he has a shot.

I think Derrick is a dynamic leader and has a great football mind.
Recruiting is relationship and getting kids/families to buy into a vision. He would do outstanding at this.
He is so well respected across this state that coaches would be just fine recommending their players go play for him.

He is such a highly coveted clinic speaker and I know he has used this time to network with college coaches and build relationships as well as pick their brains on college coaching.

Reactions: Graz74

Recruiting is relationship and getting kids/families to buy into a vision. He would do outstanding at this.
He is so well respected across this state that coaches would be just fine recommending their players go play for him.

He is such a highly coveted clinic speaker and I know he has used this time to network with college coaches and build relationships as well as pick their brains on college coaching.
How do you know how good he would be at recruiting? He's at a public school and doesn't have to recruit. He would also need to recruit outside of Illinois where no one has ever heard of him. How would he be at convincing a kid from Nebraska to leave the school he's at and transfer to WIU? His system, while successful in high school in Illinois, is pretty much a standard offense in college where everyone throws all the time.

It's all pointless talk anyway, as another mentioned he has a nephew coming through Rochester and his son will be in HS soon.

Name any HS coach who has gone directly from HS to D1 head coach and been successful. It's an epic leap and just doesn't happen.
Trent Dilfer and Deion Sanders. : )

This isn't taking over a power 5 school. Heck, this isn't close to taking over a MAC program or high level FCS program.

Gus Mulzahn, Hugh Freeze, Tom Allen all spent numerous years at the HS level before ascending quickly up the college ranks. None went directly from high school to College HC however.

How do you know how good he would be at recruiting? He's at a public school and doesn't have to recruit. He would also need to recruit outside of Illinois where no one has ever heard of him. How would he be at convincing a kid from Nebraska to leave the school he's at and transfer to WIU? His system, while successful in high school in Illinois, is pretty much a standard offense in college where everyone throws all the time.

It's all pointless talk anyway, as another mentioned he has a nephew coming through Rochester and his son will be in HS soon.
I don't...I just think he would recruit well.

He's a good communicator and people like him across the state.

This isn't taking over a power 5 school. Heck, this isn't close to taking over a MAC program or high level FCS program.

Gus Mulzahn, Hugh Freeze, Tom Allen all spent numerous years at the HS level before ascending quickly up the college ranks. None went directly from high school to College HC however.
It's a little different when you have NFL experience.

Where WIU is currently at makes it an even more difficult situation and why a HS coach wouldn't be a good fit.

Right, they rose through the ranks, they didn't jump to the top.

I don't...I just think he would recruit well.

He's a good communicator and people like him across the state.
As I said, he'd need to go outside Illinois where he's an unknown and the recruiting game is cut throat and everyone is a good schmoozer and communicator.

He may do fine out on the road recruiting as a position coach, but as a HC hes responsible for developing the entire recruiting strategy for the program. He now also has to be a fundraiser, navigate the NIL, etc. Its completely different. There is too much he doesn't know and has no experience with to jump from small school HS football to D1 HC.

Reactions: 4Afan
As I said, he'd need to go outside Illinois where he's an unknown and the recruiting game is cut throat and everyone is a good schmoozer and communicator.
I'd rather have a coach who knows the state and is well known instate than someone who doesn't know the state.

Unless it's power 5...is there really ever a coach who people know outside the home state? Does anyone even in IL know who Chris Wilkerson is who has revamped the EIU program? His only HC experience was D3 football.

If you can coach and lead.....than you can coach and lead.

I'd rather have a coach who knows the state and is well known instate than someone who doesn't know the state.

Unless it's power 5...is there really ever a coach who people know outside the home state? Does anyone even in IL know who Chris Wilkerson is who has revamped the EIU program? His only HC experience was D3 football.

If you can coach and lead.....than you can coach and lead.
Illinois is a second or third tier state when it comes to high school football so really who cares if he can recruit this state.

Yes, coaches who have been around and coached and had success in more than one location are well known in various states. Derek has had success in one location at one school.

Like another mentioned, it's just not recruiting, it's developing the recruiting strategy, handling NIL, and transfers, and overseeing staff that would be double or triple what he has now.

For context, Jared Elliot was the HC before Hendrickson. Elliot was making $60,271 as the OC and upon getting promoted to HC, made $115,497 in year one.

WIU Jared Elliot Salary

Hendrickson came from the NAIA level. I'd venture to guess they paid him less than that.

Your pool is very small with this budget.

Illinois is a second or third tier state when it comes to high school football so really who cares if he can recruit this state.

Yes, coaches who have been around and coached and had success in more than one location are well known in various states. Derek has had success in one location at one school.

Like another mentioned, it's just not recruiting, it's developing the recruiting strategy, handling NIL, and transfers, and overseeing staff that would be double or triple what he has now.
Well, the rest of the FCS level disagrees with this statement. Arguably the most important factor in hiring the next coach. The best state for FCS football is arguably Illinois.

Illinois kids on top tier FCS rosters....
NDSU - 10
SDSU -12
SD - 6
ND - 7
SIU - 30
ISU - 52
EIU- 46

Reactions: stl705

Illinois is a top 10 producing state when it comes to talent it’s why every power 5 team recruits it. The quality of the high teams may lag behind other states but the individual talent does not.

Reactions: Bwm57

Rip Engle

I would love to be in the Union when they interview the leader of the Vets club to take over HC of the football program between frames in the bowling alley. That is currently how bad things are at Western Illinois. A beer frame may be the signing bonus. Even the bowling alley is now gone!

Illinois is a top 10 producing state when it comes to talent it’s why every power 5 team recruits it. The quality of the high teams may lag behind other states but the individual talent does not.

much of that is based on size alone. Illinois has a larger population than the majority of states. Even if they are top 10, that would still be 2nd or 3rd tier. They aren't even close to Texas, Florida, or California and probably behind Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey as well.

Reactions: corey90
Well, the rest of the FCS level disagrees with this statement. Arguably the most important factor in hiring the next coach. The best state for FCS football is arguably Illinois.

Illinois kids on top tier FCS rosters....
NDSU - 10
SDSU -12
SD - 6
ND - 7
SIU - 30
ISU - 52
EIU- 46
Even with using 3 in state schools that is 163 kids from Illinois in your example. There are 133 FCS schools and each has ~100 kids on the team. So you're talking about 1% of kids coming from Illinois. So Illinois is FAR from the top state for FCS talent.

Reactions: corey90 and jha618
much of that is based on size alone. Illinois has a larger population than the majority of states. Even if they are top 10, that would still be 2nd or 3rd tier. They aren't even close to Texas, Florida, or California and probably behind Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey as well.
So you wouldn't want to be a two hour drive from a large population of talent?

Even with using 3 in state schools that is 163 kids from Illinois in your example. There are 133 FCS schools and each has ~100 kids on the team. So you're talking about 1% of kids coming from Illinois. So Illinois is FAR from the top state for FCS talent.
Bud, I said top tier FCS schools. Numbers I provided were strictly from the top 25 schools...and not all of them at that.

If you don't think Illinois is a great state for FCS recruiting, you simply don't know recruiting.

Bud, I said top tier FCS schools. Numbers I provided were strictly from the top 25 schools...and not all of them at that.

If you don't think Illinois is a great state for FCS recruiting, you simply don't know recruiting.
I think the initial argument that was disagreeable was Illinois was the BEST state for FCS recruiting. And picking the 3 in-state schools will drastically skew the numbers of how many illinois kids actually make up the rosters of the top FCS teams. There are 18 other teams and the majority of the likely wont have more than a handful of Illinois kids on their rosters.

Illinois schools are not top tier FCS schools. SIU is ranked 17, EIU is 24 and ranked for the first time this year, and ISU is not ranked. Other than a handful of breakout seasons the FCS schools in Illinois are not perennial FCS contenders.

Reactions: jha618
Illinois schools are not top tier FCS schools. SIU is ranked 17, EIU is 24 and ranked for the first time this year, and ISU is not ranked. Other than a handful of breakout seasons the FCS schools in Illinois are not perennial FCS contenders.
Never said that….
Said Illinois is a great state for FCS recruiting

I think the initial argument that was disagreeable was Illinois was the BEST state for FCS recruiting. And picking the 3 in-state schools will drastically skew the numbers of how many illinois kids actually make up the rosters of the top FCS teams. There are 18 other teams and the majority of the likely wont have more than a handful of Illinois kids on their rosters.
Did I say it was the best state for FCS recruiting?

If I was WIU, my first call would be to the coach at North Central
He makes more money at NC and would never leave for that job.

If I were him, I’d be pretty nervous about what happened to the previous HC when he left.

Reactions: forlouann
Yes, you said exactly that.
Never said that….

I said “arguably”. Didn’t say it was simply the best.

You followed it up talking about FCS IL programs success which are two separate things.

I’d be curious to know FCs players by state. I bet IL is near the top.

I mean you certainly were trying to make the case that it was, and you used faulty data to try and prove that point. Which is where the disagreement came. I dont think anyone can make the argument that its the best state for recruiting and the numbers don't bear that.

NDSU, SD, and ND all have more kids from Minnesota than Illinois. 7 of the top 10 FCS teams have more kids from Minnesota than Illinois. There are more Minnesota kids on the roster of top 10 FCS teams than Illinois. The recruiting hot bed of MINNESOTA!

I said “arguably”. Didn’t say it was simply the best.

You followed it up talking about FCS IL programs success which are two separate things.

I’d be curious to know FCs players by state. I bet IL is near the top.
Facts seem refute your assumptions. The top 5 FCS recruiting classes from 2023 belong to Campbell, Sam Houston St., Jackson St., Western Carolina, and Cal Poly. None of those signees were from Illinois. Of the teams you mentioned South Dakota had the highest rated recruiting class, but still wasn't in the top 20 in terms of FCS classes and they had no one from Illinois. EIU had 4 rated recruits sign in the 2023 class and only one was from Illinois.

I mentioned FCS IL program success because you were the one who said they were top tier.

I mean you certainly were trying to make the case that it was, and you used faulty data to try and prove that point. Which is where the disagreement came. I dont think anyone can make the argument that its the best state for recruiting and the numbers don't bear that.

NDSU, SD, and ND all have more kids from Minnesota than Illinois. 7 of the top 10 FCS teams have more kids from Minnesota than Illinois. There are more Minnesota kids on the roster of top 10 FCS teams than Illinois. The recruiting hot bed of MINNESOTA!
K

Facts seem refute your assumptions. The top 5 FCS recruiting classes from 2023 belong to Campbell, Sam Houston St., Jackson St., Western Carolina, and Cal Poly. None of those signees were from Illinois. Of the teams you mentioned South Dakota had the highest rated recruiting class, but still wasn't in the top 20 in terms of FCS classes and they had no one from Illinois. EIU had 4 rated recruits sign in the 2023 class and only one was from Illinois.

I mentioned FCS IL program success because you were the one who said they were top tier.
ok

He makes more money at NC and would never leave for that job.

If I were him, I’d be pretty nervous about what happened to the previous HC when he left.

I agree, Brad shouldn't take the job. But he should still be WIU's first call. That was my point.

Reactions: colin2229
Why not give the kid who was named interim head coach in Brandon Kretczmer a shot. An WIU alum, has head coach experience all be it at a small high school who won a state title. He knows the state cuz he went to St Pats. Just saying, at least give him an interview!

Reactions: eireog
Why not give the kid who was named interim head coach in Brandon Kretczmer a shot. An WIU alum, has head coach experience all be it at a small high school who won a state title. He knows the state cuz he went to St Pats. Just saying, at least give him an interview!

this is not a shot at coach k here, but to answer your question of "why" - i think it's reasonable for the school to want to move on from anyone who was on the staff of a team that is 0-22 in the last 2 seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT