ADVERTISEMENT

Parent / Coach Boundaries

It's a big time parent problem at CENTRAL!!!
This is not necessarily true. Are there parents with means - absolutely. Does that give them an assumption of access? Also yes.

But the former and current ADs are two of the best in the nation. Literally. Dan Jones was a finalist for National AD of the Year multiple time. He is an IL Hall of Fame AD. Ask any AD in the state, and Dan Jones is held in the absolute highest regard.

Mike Jezioro has come in eye wide open, fully understanding the community and who he is replacing. His allegiance is to the HC brand and the student athletes - not a parent who will be gone in 3-4 years. There is a strong championship legacy at Hinsdale Central - more overall State Championships than any other school in Illinois. You don’t get there by letting “parents run the school”. You don’t grow a nationally ranked girls and boys swim program by letting “parents run the school”.

Does D86 have some self inflected issues? Absolutely. Some are different than many other districts deal with. Let’s face it - an affluent community has a plethora of successful parents having an expectation of success.

However, in my personal experience as a parent of a couple of HC athletes, and with some personal relationships with coaches of multiple sports and administrators, I fully know the administration and the coaches of HC are in full control of their programs. Yes, there are “boisterous” parents who have tried - and failed - to flex. What they don’t realize is HCs budget, and the sort program they are complaining about, doesn’t rely on individual money and donations. That’s a positive of the public school funding system.

In my experience, travel ball is a different world than HS. In travel ball, people pay money for their kids to play and then there are travel expenses. So, people expect their kids to play. In my way of thinking, HS is different. You don't have huge fees and travel isn't crazy. I have said before. One way to head off arguments, etc. is to have that team meeting before the first game is played. And you have it to lay down rules. And most importantly, you have to stick to them.

My youngest daughter played SB at Lockport and played in the Stone City Sharks organization. Stone City always had strict rules regarding parents and players conduct. You F up? Your kid is gone. Doesn't matter who she is because they had a long waiting list of girls wanting to play for that organization. It was a very talented and competitive organization.

We were in a tourney in Alsip, I think. Anyway we had a male parent who was a giant. If I remember correctly, he was an O-lineman at U of I. But the guy was as nice as anyone you would meet. (thank heavens LOL.) Anyway, there was another male parent who was a loud-mouthed punk. He was drinking at the tournament and he said something to the big guy. Don't remember what it was because I was down the line and they were at least 100 feet from me. The big dude went off and was going to pulverize the other guy. It was so loud the game stopped. Word of that got back to the organization. The punk and his daughter were shown the door the next evening. The organization punished everyone by cancelling a national tourney we were going to the next week in KC MO. They didn't mess around with that nonsense.

Reactions: King MJ
Don't blame all this parent craziness on money and how affluent they are. One of the biggest parent fights I saw occurred at the old Bolingbrook HS when my younger daughter was playing in a grade school basketball tourney. The fight started in the bleachers right after a game and spilled into a hallway. My daughter's team and parents weren't involved as we had the next game. But in judging where those schools were I have no doubt you had people duking it out who weren't "financially affluent."

It isn't the money, it's the lack of character in some people.

Don't blame all this parent craziness on money and how affluent they are. One of the biggest parent fights I saw occurred at the old Bolingbrook HS when my younger daughter was playing in a grade school basketball tourney. The fight started in the bleachers right after a game and spilled into a hallway. My daughter's team and parents weren't involved as we had the next game. But in judging where those schools were I have no doubt you had people duking it out who weren't "financially affluent."

It isn't the money, it's the lack of character in some people.
Money = Privilege + Power - Character

Reactions: corey90
I am not disagreeing with you totally here. There are some people who feel that just because they have some money it gives them privilege and entitlement. The ones who are worse are the pretenders. The ones who don't have that kind of money but act like they do.

I look at privilege and entitlement this way. People who are at or near the top use it and people who are at or near the bottom use it just as much. But, they use it for very different reasons.

SOME People at the top say, "I have money and a lot of 'stuff' so I can do what I want." However just as many people at or near the bottom make excuses for their standing and say "it's because of certain people, that I, or, we can't get ahead." And nothing could be further from the truth.

Sorry, Privilege and entitlement do not depend on money. Those things are a state of mind. It really comes down to character. Some of the very nicest and caring people I know have a lot of money. And some of the people I know who don't have a pot to piss in think the world owes them something. Of course it also goes the other way at times in the two groups.

I am not disagreeing with you totally here. There are some people who feel that just because they have some money it gives them privilege and entitlement. The ones who are worse are the pretenders. The ones who don't have that kind of money but act like they do.

I look at privilege and entitlement this way. People who are at or near the top use it and people who are at or near the bottom use it just as much. But, they use it for very different reasons.

SOME People at the top say, "I have money and a lot of 'stuff' so I can do what I want." However just as many people at or near the bottom make excuses for their standing and say "it's because of certain people, that I, or, we can't get ahead." And nothing could be further from the truth.

Sorry, Privilege and entitlement do not depend on money. Those things are a state of mind. It really comes down to character. Some of the very nicest and caring people I know have a lot of money. And some of the people I know who don't have a pot to piss in think the world owes them something. Of course it also goes the other way at times in the two groups.
Agree
We have all seen people with a lot of money think they are entitled. It definitely comes down to their character!

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT