ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early predictions for 2022

So I’ll start as soon as next Saturday. For the 10th straight year the brown & white school on Dante will claim they tested the most boys of any school other than Marist with a crazy number of test takers. (Come August BR will somehow still have more kids in the school.) Next fall BR goes 0-9 and drops football & MC goes 14-0 steamrolling everyone by 30 + points. It turns out our new coach was a state champion rodeo clown in Texas & knows nothing about football. In addition, no 8th grader who plays football anywhere on the SouthSide considers BR because the concept of going to the local Catholic schools & selling his football program & school is the equivalent of rocket science & Coach Q can never quite grasp it as so many here believe. Merry Christmas everyone in Edgyland, see ya next fall!

2022 Preseason Top 20

1. Lincoln-Way East
2. Mt. Carmel
3. Loyola
4. Nazareth
5. Maine South
6. East St. Louis
7. Marist
8. Brother Rice
9. Prairie Ridge
10. Rochester
11. Cary-Grove
12. Joliet Catholic
13. Fenwick
14. Batavia
15. Lockport
16. Crete-Monee
17. St. Rita
18. Warren
19. Sacred Heart - Griffin
20. Richmond-Burton

2022 Preseason Top 20

1. Lincoln-Way East
2. Mt. Carmel
3. Loyola
4. Nazareth
5. Maine South
6. East St. Louis
7. Marist
8. Brother Rice
9. Prairie Ridge
10. Rochester
11. Cary-Grove
12. Joliet Catholic
13. Fenwick
14. Batavia
15. Lockport
16. Crete-Monee
17. St. Rita
18. Warren
20. Richmond-Burton
I think you put Joliet Catholic a little too high for a preseason poll. They COULD possibly end up that high but we lose a ton on offense and lose some very good players on defense.

Reactions: Abtyson24
This is my biggest confusion but would make sense.

I thought they didn't re-add Multipliers and/or Success Factors until the beginning of the next 2 year cycle, which in this case wouldn't be until 2023/2024 2 year cycle. Am I wrong?

I think your way makes more sense, but the IHSA making sense is not a priority.
You don't get success factored after 1 championship. Rule states 2 in a 2 year cycle.

2022 Preseason Top 20

1. Lincoln-Way East
2. Mt. Carmel
3. Loyola
4. Nazareth
5. Maine South
6. East St. Louis
7. Marist
8. Brother Rice
9. Prairie Ridge
10. Rochester
11. Cary-Grove
12. Joliet Catholic
13. Fenwick
14. Batavia
15. Lockport
16. Crete-Monee
17. St. Rita
18. Warren
20. Richmond-Burton
I’d flip Rochester and SHG. SHG returns 15 starters, including QB Ty Lott, WR/DB Keshon Singleton, and WR/DB Jake Hamilton. Rochester returns 8-9 starters and has to replace QB Hank Beatty. There’s size and potential at the lower grades but it will take some time to develop.

Reactions: Alexander32
I’d flip Rochester and SHG. SHG returns 15 starters, including QB Ty Lott, WR/DB Keshon Singleton, and WR/DB Jake Hamilton. Rochester returns 8-9 starters and has to replace QB Hank Beatty. There’s size and potential at the lower grades but it will take some time to develop.
I understand, and your points make sense. These rankings provide a little different perspective than most others in that they are based on a modified frequency rating. As such they emphasize program consistency and place a fair amount of faith in a coach's ability to identify and develop talent. It wouldn't surprise me if Sacred Heart-Griffin wins the regular season matchup, but by the time the playoffs arrive I suspect Rochester will have the better team. Rochester is the only team in the state to have reached the semifinal round in each of the last five playoffs, and the only team to win three state championships in that same time span. With regard to Sacred Heart, despite their offensive firepower they will need to develop a much better run defense before they can be considered a top-notch title contender. Both Rochester and Joliet Catholic really took them to task on the ground in these last two games.

Edited Note: Both IC Catholic and Lena-Winslow have also won three state championships in the last five playoffs. So I should have said Rochester is the only team to do so at the 4A or higher class level.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketnation
The QB is a very good athlete. D1 baseball kid. About 6'2 and 190 lbs. Yes I see Bonsu and Powell and probably Mau or maybe a junior in the backfield. Van Tassell is a nice WR and have some big linemen led by Birsa. Entire D front four comes back and Hernandez and Weston are nice line backers. There are a handful of decent athletes who will compete for the DB spots. Overall, it's a pretty good group. Numbers in the program really help.
Oh no! Van Tassels are on the next generation???? They harassed MC from John to Joe in the 90’s!!

Did Naz roll with a freshman QB this season?
For the last 6 games [I think] of regular and playoffs
Logan Malachuk. Throws a very pretty ball, great poise for a true frosh [first ever to start under Racki]. Returns Justin Taylor [#2, a beast] and Kaleb Miller [#5]

Also had Gabe Kaminsky at DE as a true FR. Might go down as our most decorated DL ever

Last edited:
OL always scares me in our conference. Teams are always strong in the DL trenches

MS will be good. Sophs were very good this year.

WN, SR, Eastside, Kankakee all have a bunch back. SHG will dominate. LA and LWE should be tops in 8A.
MS4EVER with the scouting report for next year on Cascia!

How specific was your conversation with TK about "high school football" when you met with him last week? LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: MS4EVER
Logan Malachuk. Throws a very pretty ball, great poise for a true frosh [first ever to start under Racki]. Returns Justin Turner [#2, a beast] and Kaleb Miller [#5]

Also had Gabe Kaminsky at DE as a true FR. Might go down as our most decorated DL ever

Fair to say the Roadrunners have the early edge for taking the Green next year, with Rita just behind?

Reactions: LincolnT213
No multiplier but I think they will be success factored up to 5A because they both were in the championship game.
All.... I have "discussed" this for about a month. In anticipation of continued disagreement I go to a source. About once a year I e-mail Matt Troha with the Ihsa. He is great with prompt responses. I asked my reading of the rules is that SHG and JCA will be in class 4A next year. He replied back that is correct both schools will be in class 4A. I didn't bring up the success factor as well as the multiplier which he already knows about. Ratsy

For LWC...I'll wait to see who the new coach is
I don't think he will be for fall 2022, just a hunch
The "next man up" should be clear that this job involves 3 annual cross-over games against the Lockport, LWE, Brook, H-F and Sandburg division. Ever getting to host a Round 1 playoff game with this as part of the deal is tough unless you have a VERY exceptional team.

The "next man up" should be clear that this job involves 3 annual cross-over games against the Lockport, LWE, Brook, H-F and Sandburg division. Ever getting to host a Round 1 playoff game with this as part of the deal is tough unless you have a VERY exceptional team.
Also has to fight off providence's new coach from recruiting them down the street. Tough spot for LWC

Reactions: johnndoe
MS4EVER with the scouting report for next year on Cascia!

How specific was your conversation with TK about "high school football" when you met with him last week? LOL!
I’m basically an assistant coach now! 😂

Logan Malachuk. Throws a very pretty ball, great poise for a true frosh [first ever to start under Racki]. Returns Justin Turner [#2, a beast] and Kaleb Miller [#5]

I'd expect that Naz team to be very good then in 2023 and 2024

LA, MS, NV and LWE will all be very good but that isn't anything new.

Looking for some new names (who used to be old names)....I can see HF having a nice year. Could also see Stevenson or LZ unseating Warren this year unless Warren picks up a QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT