ADVERTISEMENT

This is why! A different perspective

LHSTigers94

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2004

What do you say to a kid that gave his all? What do you say to a kid who should have had a great moment in the championship game but taken away? Yes people are human and make mistakes but, let’s not forget that they are kids playing their hearts out for their last high school game.

For some, it’s just a bad call. For others it’s heart breaking and when kids hurt, you hurt. Every parent and coach can relate.

Congrats to Cary Grove as those kids played a heck of a game and deserve everything that championship brings to them. I was proud of EVERY kid on that field as it was one heck of a game again!

Last edited:
This call gets missed every Saturday and Sunday with 2 officials on the sideline. The difference is replay comes in and fixes it. It’s an incredibly tough call to get right. Full speed, watching a ball come in and his foot touches that close for a quarter of a second. It’s a 50/50 with one guy on the sideline.

It’s a miss. Not sure what you’re looking for with this? You want acknowledgment that it wasn’t called correctly? If you’re hoping to inspire change from it then go petition the state for replay in the title game. The stadium already has the equipment and capability. The 50/50 call isn’t changing. Sucks it happened to your team and those kids, but it’s an imperfect game played and officiated by imperfect people doing their best. Tomorrow is a new day.

We don't realize it most weeks, because many games aren't televised, or have relatively crappy video/video angles through youtube, and no replays. Then, you see games with multiple cameras and replays, and you realize how many calls are missed. That's not even meant as a shot at the refs. It's just the reality of the games.

Just look at the NFL, or high level college games. Those games have the "best of the best" referees, and there are multiple plays reviewed/overturned every game. It's not hard to understand that there are going to be more calls missed at the high school level.

This call gets missed every Saturday and Sunday with 2 officials on the sideline. The difference is replay comes in and fixes it. It’s an incredibly tough call to get right. Full speed, watching a ball come in and his foot touches that close for a quarter of a second. It’s a 50/50 with one guy on the sideline.

It’s a miss. Not sure what you’re looking for with this? You want acknowledgment that it wasn’t called correctly? If you’re hoping to inspire change from it then go petition the state for replay in the title game. The stadium already has the equipment and capability. The 50/50 call isn’t changing. Sucks it happened to your team and those kids, but it’s an imperfect game played and officiated by imperfect people doing their best. Tomorrow is a new day.
I provided a kid perspective and hurt. I personally don’t want anything from it. I’m an adult and have a different understanding.

Replay will take too long but a seven man crew may help. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I provided a kid perspective and hurt. I personally don’t want anything from it. I’m an adult and have a different understanding.

Replay will take to long but a seven man crew may help. Just a thought.
The game thread that got flushed got in to some of the missed/questionable calls. This would have been another. It has to be tough on the kids when every 50/50 judgement call goes against you.

Sounds like an excuse to me. I thought making excuses is unacceptable.

It’s a reality. The players aren’t perfect, the refs aren’t perfect. Just like the likelihood of missing a block on a great defender goes up as does the likelihood of an official not getting that call right every time.
All true. I think the misses are just magnified when playing a team like CG when there a very few possesions and there are a few possession sustaining calls go against you.

Hard to say this, but being a former BIG 8 umpire and 6A football official (dating myself here) I have made my fair share of comments regarding officiating. My biggest beef is when their mechanics suck, or they simply can’t get their fat —— up the field to be in proper position to make an educated decision. Some people just aren’t good at it. Period.

Now… having said that, the officials guilty of the above, affect both teams similarly, and rarely if never have a real interest in the game and could care less.

They are in most cases genuinely doing their very best. Capable or not, rarely nefarious intent.

I’ve always said they are the only people being paid specifically to be here, therefore their effort and performance should reflect so. I have personally witnessed actual incompetence at a level in 8A that is incomprehensible.

ON THE OTHER HAND…. Rarely do I see a post from someone calling out a a teammate for poor performance. poor tackling, poor blocking Dropped passes, stupid penalties. Overthrown balls, fumbles.
Rarely do I see a post from someone calling out a HC,OC, or DC for calling a shitty game.

Charlie Bliss COST us games at times because his ego would never allow him to be wrong .. EVER.

LWE in 2017 for example.

Between his shitty game plan, an obvious CHEAT play by LWE ( which they brought back last night and it worked)

WE LOST

After it was all said and done…. Not the officials fault at all. No way a five man crew catches that.

My point is… yes there is poor officiating at times.
FOR BOTH TEAMS.

If your players and coaches make as few mistakes as the officials.

YOU WOULD NEVER LOSE.

That same play was missed in the Mi/ OSU game yesterday so tough to fault the officials for that missed call. If coaches are that upset they should push for instant replay in the championship games both Wisconsin and Michigan currently use it.

Reactions: crazylegs777
Replay will take too long but a seven man crew may help. Just a thought.

7 man crew? We barely have enough officials for games on Friday and now we want to add more officials?

How about we just accept that people are human and will make mistakes especially on fast plays like the one mentioned above. It sucks for the kid/team that loses but it's a harsh reality, not everything in life goes your way.

If the officials were perfect they would have ruled this a catch but they also could have called a hold 2 or 3 plays earlier which would negate this play from ever happening. I am not saying there was a hold earlier but I am sure the refs missed a call here or there or held their flag to let the kids play.

Reactions: juschill
All true. I think the misses are just magnified when playing a team like CG when there a very few possesions and there are a few possession sustaining calls go against you.

If only they could have had one of the opponents scores erased by a phantom penalty on a kick return for a TD or if the opponent had one of their drives stalled due to a phantom holding call.

If only they could have had one of the opponents scores erased by a phantom penalty on a kick return for a TD or if the opponent had one of their drives stalled due to a phantom holding call.
Im not sure what you are referencing here.

Im not sure what you are referencing here.
CG had a TD called back and we never saw the penalty.

CG had a drive stalled due to a phantom holding call.

It’s like ESL think the universe revolves around them and they are the only ones getting a tough call here and there. They should be happy they didn’t give up two more scores and get routed.

Again I say… which team, coaches and players … NAME ANY OF THEM. That were flawless at all 11 positions on both sides of the ball for the entire game.

Name one!

Reactions: Silver Rain
In the flushed thread I put it out there at halftime that the writing was on the wall. CG had an impressive game plan and the players did a great job of sticking to it. It’s really easy to look at calls and say oh if this didn’t happen then that but come on ESL has and continues to have a problem playing against that type of offense/team. CG was in control of that game from the first whistle and it was very apparent even went for 2 on that first drive to make sure ESL would be playing catch-up in their clock control game plan. A child player acting childish and blaming a ref is one thing but adults should know better. Accept the fact you still got to watch your team the last week of the season and 2nd place is still a great accomplishment and move on.

A touchdown on a kick return? I missed that one.
No. It was a pretty clear hold on the LT i believe. Was called in the booth before they announced it.
It’s like ESL think the universe revolves around them and they are the only ones getting a tough call here and there. They should be happy they didn’t give up two more scores and get routed.
That's funny. You got the win yesterday so youve earned the right to poke your chest out a bit. But you won 2 games by a total of 4 points. CG will have another 3-6 season before they rout ESL.

JFA..
WGAF?
Whats your point?
You lost… Your team did not do what it takes to win.
Whats the question? Whats the Snarky bitch attitude?
Are you left alone in the bathroom AGAIN to finish yourself?

GTF over it.
Lol. You seem to care alot about a CG and ESL fan going back and forth about their teams. You could have seen yourself out a while ago...or not came in at all!

JFA… I could GAF about either.
But when someone presents themselves as a victim bitch, my patience for their nonsense is tested.
YOU, have tested the patience.

YOUR TEAM LOST. Period.

Quit blaming outside forces, deal with the disappointment, and get better.

Quit whining like a freshman girl who got dumped at the dance.

Geez

JFA… I could GAF about either.
But when someone presents themselves as a victim bitch, my patience for their nonsense is tested.
YOU, have tested the patience.

YOUR TEAM LOST. Period.

Quit blaming outside forces, deal with the disappointment, and get better.

Quit whining like a freshman girl who got dumped at the dance.

Geez
Please, go to my post in this thread where im whining? Or even show me where i said that esl would have won had the officiating been better? The other poster replied to a completely innocuous post from me where i was actually making a positive comment about CGs ball control game then he proceeded to say how CG should have routed ESL.

You can see yourself out as well..
Out of an esl thread, started by an esl fan because a maine south poster doesnt want to read comments from an esl fan? Makes sense

The audacity of some folks on a message board to come in to a thread MULTIPLE TIMES to tell folks to stop talking about a topic they arent interested in has always been crazy to me.

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
Please, go to my post in this thread where im whining? Or even show me where i said that esl would have won had the officiating been better? The other poster replied to a completely innocuous post from me where i was actually making a positive comment about CGs ball control game then he proceeded to say how CG should have routed ESL.
To be fair, you’ve been consistent with your comments which have merit. It’s another ESL supporter that has taken this personally and to a level that’s uncalled for.

Reactions: Gene K. and jha618
Out of an esl thread, started by an esl fan because a maine south poster doesnt want to read comments from an esl fan? Makes sense

The audacity of some folks on a message board to come in to a thread MULTIPLE TIMES to tell folks to stop talking about a topic they arent interested in has always been crazy to me.
The audacity!!!

Reactions: PRokie and jha618
I read the nonsense posted here. You JFA, are full of nonsense.

Yes, I am an AVID MS fan. Yes. I have been somewhat (lol) controversial in the past.

You however are whining and complaining like the girl who didn’t make the cheerleading squad.

STOP!

YOU LOST!

I read the nonsense posted here. You JFA, are full of nonsense.

Yes, I am an AVID MS fan. Yes. I have been somewhat (lol) controversial in the past.

You however are whining and complaining like the girl who didn’t make the cheerleading squad.

STOP!

YOU LOST!
Ill cash app you $100 right now if you go and find said whining or complaining post in this thread. Its only 28 posts long so its not many to parse through

Ill cash app you $100 right now if you go and find said whining or complaining post in this thread. Its only 28 posts long so its not many to parse through
My guess is you fall asleep every night watching Bravo and recording Andy Cohen.

Crusader and me started drinking yesterday, and just happened to run across your nonsense.

It doesn’t take a genius to read your posts on the matter to determine you must have been an acquired prom date.

My guess is you fall asleep every night watching Bravo and recording Andy Cohen.

Crusader and me started drinking yesterday, and just happened to run across your nonsense.

It doesn’t take a genius to read your posts on the matter to determine you must have been an acquired prom date.
OK boys, we CG guys appreciate the support but you’re piling on the wrong guy. There’s another poster who dropped some pretty deplorable comments last night that made me say I’m done here. Actually I don’t know why I am still here LOL. The game is/was what it is/was. Time to move on.

The call that has me shaking my head the most isn’t even one of these “judgement” calls.

Near the start of the 7A game the white hat announced a penalty for “illegal procedure”.

That doesn’t exist in high school football. There is no such thing in the NFHS rule book. Every ref knows that. Or so one would think.

How a state finals level ref used that term is troubling.

This may not seem like a big deal to most, but this lack of rules knowledge is a big deal.

Got it. You had multiple attempts to quote me about said complaining and we are 35min in and the best you can do is deflection and a poor attempt at some homophobic humor. It appears you are here just here to be argumentative about 2 teams you are not even a fan of. And somehow you thinks thats more admirable than my supposed whining? Ok champ.

JWar…. Help me out here
PRokie, I really can’t on this one. I have raised my four boys as you know, I have also raised others children in my home along side my boys and always treated everyone with the same love and respect. I have to tell you it’s made me look at the world differently because I had to have different discussions with my boys vs my adopted(pseudo) kids because they were not always treated the same way. I don’t want this to go down a rabbit hole like last night, but I share a different and unique perspective.

HaHaHa… you got me sweetheart.

Watching your clock and feeling hurt over what you thought was homophobic… must have struck a nerve…Classic Victim!

When you have something besides hypothetical officiating nonsense to propose, please do. Until then, lick your wounds ( and I say that carefully) and move on.

This thread was not about changing the outcome of the game. ESL just won last year and have been in the championship since 19. You win some and lose some. It is what it is. This is about a perspective from the kid who actually played the game. For some adults, the ability to brag until next season is all they care about which is cool. For the kid that played, their perspective is different. One ring and two second place medals are the results of a nice high school career. Nothing be sad or whine about!

PRokie, I really can’t on this one. I have raised my four boys as you know, I have also raised others children in my home along side my boys and always treated everyone with the same love and respect. I have to tell you it’s made me look at the world differently because I had to have different discussions with my boys vs my adopted(pseudo) kids because they were not always treated the same way. I don’t want this to go down a rabbit hole like last night, but I share a different and unique perspective.
As always… RESPECT. I just figured your knowledge of the game, youth football etc, the whole whining about the officiating would strike a similar nerve.
I hope you and yours are well these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT