ADVERTISEMENT

This is why! A different perspective

This is exactly what I “the ESL fan” was saying, that there should have been some diversity and always should be.
What if that's not an option? Do you want the best officials doing the title games or do you value diversity more? What if a more diverse crew wasn't the top rated crew throughout the year? Should they be given the title game due to diversity over a more deserving crew who graded higher throughout the year?

What if a diverse crew made the same calls or made the same mistakes as you see them?

What if that's not an option? Do you want the best officials doing the title games or do you value diversity more? What if a more diverse crew wasn't the top rated crew throughout the year? Should they be given the title game due to diversity over a more deserving crew who graded higher throughout the year?

What if a diverse crew made the same calls or made the same mistakes as you see them?
In cases like this, diversity would likely yield the best results.

I’m assuming that you haven’t, and if my assumption is correct, I really wish that you could experience what it feels like to be underrepresented,. I’m sure it would help your understanding in matters such as this.

Understand please that we,ESL, have played games where the other team had zero penalties. So the hyper sensitive and eye for bs is there. If you go back and watch this game and say there's no bias in the calls YOU are part of our issue.
It’s called discipline and coaching, you don’t have to stare down players every time you make a tackle or players and coaches jumping on the field. Alex Prio was dragged down from the waist down 2-3 steps out of bounds. You start getting targeted once refs know you do it a lot.

The crazy thing I just thought about, 46, the sophomore RB, hopefully, partied his face off last night because he starts wrestling practice tomorrow. If he is walking around at 200, what does he cut to?
He probably started the season at 225, who knows what he weighs now. I saw a picture of him with a boot on his foot, so that may delay the start of his wrestling season, but I believes he wrestles HW, so he doesn't need to cut.
Then he goes right to track, where he qualified for state in the discus.

Knowing him, he probably lifted on sunday! He is a workout fiend.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
In cases like this, diversity would likely yield the best results.

I’m assuming that you haven’t, and if my assumption is correct, I really wish that you could experience what it feels like to be underrepresented,. I’m sure it would help your understanding in matters such as this.
I haven't and I do understand what you're trying to say but in my opinion the highest rated officials should do the title games. Using the knowledge Newt has provided what if a more diverse official was the back judge on the spot of the ball play, he would not have been the ref spotting the ball and would have never overruled the linesman who spotted the ball. So it wouldn't have mattered in that situation.

You also have said that this thread started as seeing it from the kids perspective, but the original post didn't include any of the plays you have complained about. So is it really about the kids or your opinions and perceived bias.

It’s called discipline and coaching
So you know they called a horse collar on that play right. So in your mind we play 9+ games a year and we the only undisciplined team. So cg players cheap shots are not a discipline issue. If you believe that narrative you part of the issue

FYI: officials working the state finals receive their assignment after the second round. Well in advance of knowing what teams are going to be at ISU.
So…….. that means that it’s impossible for them to have a natural bias??? What are you saying?

So you know they called a horse collar on that play right. So in your mind we play 9+ games a year and we the only undisciplined team. So cg players cheap shots are not a discipline issue. If you believe that narrative you part of the issue
Announcers said it was a late hit as well, in 2021 it was the same issue, players getting flagged for late hits and taunting. Esl HC had to run on the field to pull a player away from getting a Taunting flag on the last drive, matter fact the play of the face mask penalty. I just don’t understand so much back and fourth like if ESL is so innocent on the field . Cary grove beat you guys again in the finals 2-0, work harder maybe 3rd time is the lucky charm? On paper CG is expected to be back in the finals next year. Why don’t you guys blame your defense for not stopping the first few drives? Or your HC not calling a time out and letting your defense get gased. Simply weren’t prepared to fully stop the run and that’s why you lost. Move on to 2024

Reactions: juschill
Announcers said it was a late hit as well, in 2021 it was the same issue, players getting flagged for late hits and taunting. Esl HC had to run on the field to pull a player away from getting a Taunting flag on the last drive, matter fact the play of the face mask penalty. I just don’t understand so much back and fourth like if ESL is so innocent on the field . Cary grove beat you guys again in the finals 2-0, work harder maybe 3rd time is the lucky charm? On paper CG is expected to be back in the finals next year. Why don’t you guys blame your defense for not stopping the first few drives? Or your HC not calling a time out and letting your defense get gased. Simply weren’t prepared to fully stop the run and that’s why you lost. Move on to 2024
Why are you on this thread??? No one mentioned 2021. Go away. You’re trying to push a narrative that just isn’t there.

Stay on topic

It’s called discipline and coaching, you don’t have to stare down players every time you make a tackle or players and coaches jumping on the field. Alex Prio was dragged down from the waist down 2-3 steps out of bounds. You start getting targeted once refs know you do it a lot.
I am glad you typed this. The call on the field for the EXACT play you are talking about was horse collar tackle yet, your description is dragged down by the waist. This is the stuff that is being discussed. If it was ruled a late hit out of bounds, there is nothing to question as you couldn't see it from the other side of the field. It definitely wasn't a horse collar tackle. This is why comments are made. Next, there wasn't one unsportsmanlike penalty thrown during the game and if you think that CG players was talking smack on the field, you are sadly mistaken. Please stop with yet another narrative about ESL that is untrue.

Reactions: jha618
How many bad calls or situations do we have to point out to make it nefarious?

FYI: officials working the state finals receive their assignment after the second round. Well in advance of knowing what teams are going to be at ISU.
We are not speaking on cheating for CG or any other team. We are talking the simple bias that exists in society being brought to the field. Not one person from ESL thinks that CG had anything to do with the official assignment. As stated before, the week before was 20 times worse. In the championship game, CG had 2 penalties for 20 yards and ESL had 7 for 45 yards. There wasn't a lot of penalties on both sides of the ball.
Of the three main issues, only one was a penalty (the facemask on the other side of the field away from the play). The other two were the catch where the gentlemen was out of position and the spotting of the ball because said gentlemen was out of position.

As stated before it happens. The only suggestion I have is a 7 man crew for the state finals or mix crews. I understand the complexity that comes with mixed crews which brings about hesitation. Nothing may not ever change but, there shouldn't be an issue with having the discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: ODirty1
There was once a guy that came to ESL to be the dc. He coached at another school. When he first hand witness the NEFARIOUS way the games were called he asked "is it always like this" the answer was "this is mild". Needless to say he quit that same year.

CG 200 yards of total offense, ESL 300. Last drive for CG was 70 yards or so. Prior to that drive, 130 yards of total offense. I think ESL was very prepared to play the game. First drive #8 on defense made a great play for a tackle 6 yards in the backfield however, #8 on offense made an even better play and kept his balance to get the first down. That is a true example of how both teams played the game. It was a great game and CG has plenty of respect.
ESL has won 10 titles and have 5 runner up finishes. We know how to win and lose.

As an adult, what do you tell him? What lesson is this child to learn? Please be insightful as your advice just may help him “get over it”
If the worst mistake by another person this young man experiences is this, then he’ll have had a pretty great life. Part of the benefit of athletics is how to deal with adversity, especially when it’s out of your own control. So while it sucks, the reality is it was a mistake that may or may not have cost him a game. Not to diminish the hard work he put in or how much that meant to him, but in perspective there are kids out there losing loved ones everyday due to the mistakes of others. I feel for him, and as a ref I wish they would have nailed it, but there are many lessons he will be taught from this, at an overall not life changing expense. Maybe he’ll be inspired to become a really great official, we could use him

If the worst mistake by another person this young man experiences is this, then he’ll have had a pretty great life. Part of the benefit of athletics is how to deal with adversity, especially when it’s out of your own control. So while it sucks, the reality is it was a mistake that may or may not have cost him a game. Not to diminish the hard work he put in or how much that meant to him, but in perspective there are kids out there losing loved ones everyday due to the mistakes of others. I feel for him, and as a ref I wish they would have nailed it, but there are many lessons he will be taught from this, at an overall not life changing expense. Maybe he’ll be inspired to become a really great official, we could use him
He'll be fine. He's a very bright young man. The point is why must he and his team be continously asked to get over bad calls. This is not the first or last time that they will be asked to shrug off being unfairly treated. I'd say a couple of bad calls is unfortunate but a pattern of bad calls is unfair. Then to be told suck it up and/or yall brought it on yourself is a BRUTAL mentality

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerforFlyers
Oh, I understand what's being conveyed, what I said was I didn't see it as a logical application
How so? When you play a ball control team, possessions are limited. When you make mistakes or have penalties that extend drives/possessions for said team its becomes more costly. Average possessions per game is probably 12-14. When playing CG they may have had half of that.

He'll be fine. He's a very bright young man. The point is why must he and his team be continously asked to get over bad calls. This is not the first or last time that they will be asked to shrug off being unfairly treated. I'd say a couple of bad calls is unfortunate but a pattern of bad calls is unfair. Then to be told such it up and/or yall brought it on yourself is a BRUTAL mentality
Your perception is your reality. If you have the perception that it’s always against you, then the first thing that happens will confirm that narrative for you. ESL has been an unbelievablely successful program, im sure in their runs they’ve benefited from calls as well. Other schools have gotten the short end of the stick as well. It sucks. No one can change your perception or your experience. I’m just trying to give you some neutral perspective man. I’m sorry high school officiating doesn’t meet your standard There are a lot of other schools and fans that feel the same way.

ESL great program, tough for the kids, I think the problem this time is it was on tv and they have several camera views, the Rico bonds catch let’s be fair that’s a hard call as he was centimeters from the line, can’t argue much about that one in professional sports they miss those calls a lot. You can’t say they were prepared if they couldn’t stop the run completely , you can’t say they only had 200 yards if their game plan was to chew up the clock. If you know how to lose why keep insisting two hard calls changed the outcome of the game? Just because you’ve been runner ups doesn’t mean you know how to lose, just means you’ve gotten beat, the aftermath is when you know “how to lose”.

Your perception is your reality. If you have the perception that it’s always against you, then the first thing that happens will confirm that narrative for you. ESL has been an unbelievablely successful program, im sure in their runs they’ve benefited from calls as well. Other schools have gotten the short end of the stick as well. It sucks. No one can change your perception or your experience. I’m just trying to give you some neutral perspective man. I’m sorry high school officiating doesn’t meet your standard There are a lot of other schools and fans that feel the same way.
Thanks. If it were just me I would say I'm totally tripping. But I've been I situations were the other fans be like dam they f yall. It's not a one off bro. It's the norm. I feel our kids deserve a fair playing field.

Correct. The DB (Smilie) made a big hit on the final drive and had to stare down the opposing player. Nobody stared him down when he had to get carried off the field a few plays later. Sorry if poor sportsmanship doesn’t get you any sympathy.

Reactions: Bearsfan4197
How many bad calls or situations do we have to point out to make it nefarious?
What about the phantom hold against Cary on yet another drive or the phantom penalty against Cary on the kickoff return? Would that qualify as nefarious? Or does nefarious work only in one direction?

ESL great program, tough for the kids, I think the problem this time is it was on tv and they have several camera views, the Rico bonds catch let’s be fair that’s a hard call as he was centimeters from the line, can’t argue much about that one in professional sports they miss those calls a lot. You can’t say they were prepared if they couldn’t stop the run completely , you can’t say they only had 200 yards if their game plan was to chew up the clock. If you know how to lose why keep insisting two hard calls changed the outcome of the game? Just because you’ve been runner ups doesn’t mean you know how to lose, just means you’ve gotten beat, the aftermath is when you know “how to lose”.
To be clear I NEVER said any calls would change the outcome of the game. I will take it a step further, I haven't seen anyone suggest that any specific calls would change the outcome of who won or loss. The one statement I did see was someone emotionally suggested that some people were okay with winning that way. Outside of that I haven't seen a poster say this is the reason ESL loss. Losing the QB had the biggest impact on the game if you want to get technical.

The issue for you is ESL is not supposed to have an opinion regardless of winning or losing. If a statement was made after a win, the statement would be you won the game so why complain. The alternative is what you are saying in a loss. The bottom line to me is there are multiple perspectives and if we are really about the kids, ESL kids perspective should matter too.

Correct. The DB (Smilie) made a big hit on the final drive and had to stare down the opposing player. Nobody stared him down when he had to get carried off the field a few plays later. Sorry if poor sportsmanship doesn’t get you any sympathy.
Smiley was staring at Sunkett. The player was on the ground and he was looking straight ahead.

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
We are not speaking on cheating for CG or any other team. We are talking the simple bias that exists in society being brought to the field. Not one person from ESL thinks that CG had anything to do with the official assignment. As stated before, the week before was 20 times worse. In the championship game, CG had 2 penalties for 20 yards and ESL had 7 for 45 yards. There wasn't a lot of penalties on both sides of the ball.
Of the three main issues, only one was a penalty (the facemask on the other side of the field away from the play). The other two were the catch where the gentlemen was out of position and the spotting of the ball because said gentlemen was out of position.

As stated before it happens. The only suggestion I have is a 7 man crew for the state finals or mix crews. I understand the complexity that comes with mixed crews which brings about hesitation. Nothing may not ever change but, there shouldn't be an issue with having the discussion.

Would your preferred group of officials be immune from supposed bias existing in society? I suppose they would be pure and not bring it to the field, correct?

So are you suggesting that CG corner didn't stare down #3 on the screen play after he made a big hit? Stop with the stupid narrative on ONLY ESL playing with passion. This is the BS that we are talking about. This is why things go left!

Would your preferred group of officials be immune from supposed bias existing in society? I suppose they would be pure and not bring it to the field, correct?

I can't really answer you without taking the thread to a place that I don't want it to go. I will just say, the stuff you typed earlier is the reason why. I will leave it at that. For one kid is poor sportsmanship, for the other, well, it didn't happen. lol

So are you suggesting that CG corner didn't stare down #3 on the screen play after he made a big hit? Stop with the stupid narrative on ONLY ESL playing with passion. This is the BS that we are talking about. This is why things go left!
If you look at esl youtube videos, they’re always getting into with the opponents, esl is doing that to themselves, that’s on the coaches for allowing that, that just goes why they get flagged a lot because the refs notice that. Cmon dude be for real.

Smiley was staring at Sunkett. The player was on the ground and he was looking straight ahead.
Then why is he looking at the ground and why did Sunkett pull him away? You can rewatch it, it’s at 2:28 on the NFHS broadcast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT