ADVERTISEMENT

The Weekend?

We hit a grocery store in Burlington. It’s not cheap beer. $17 ish for a 12.
Yeah, I know it's not cheap anywhere in Wisconsin. I have been all over that state and $17.00 seems about right. I think it was around $19.00 at the Castle.

Over the weekend I was talking to my wife about this beer conversation and she reminded me of another beer I really like. Have any of you ever tried Moose Drool? It is brewed by Big Sky Brewing Company in Missoula, Montana. It's a brown ale and it's great. You can get it here. I haven't tried any of their other brews. I think I first tried it about 15-16 years ago.

Another good brown ale beer I like is New Castle.

We were in Gatlinburg, TN a couple years ago and I tried a Dunkel called Yee Haw. It is brewed in that area and you can't get it anywhere else. Also good stuff.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, beer is very heavily taxed in Wisconsin.
Actually, the excise tax Wisconsin adds to beer is the lowest in the country at 6 cents per gallon. Their wine tax is at .25 a gallon is 44th highest and their tax on spirits is 3.25 a gallon andis 21st highest. They have a 5% sales tax to start. I don't know if they have local taxes etc. But I did find it cheaper to buy Leinenkugels there than in Illinois.

By comparison the Illinois state sales tax is 6.25% then the excise state tax on beer is .23 a gallon making us the 22nd highest in the country. Wine is taxed at 1.39 a gallon which is 9th highest and spirits are taxed at a whopping 8.55 a gallon making us the 3rd highest in the country. I do know Cook county does have a separate liquor tax as well.

Edgy might have to change this from a football forum to a beer forum.
Everyone seems to get along pretty well when the topic is beer!

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Edgy might have to change this from a football forum to a beer forum.
Everyone seems to get along pretty well when the topic is beer!

Lol
Well isn’t that how it goes, most people like to knock one down every now and then. Maybe it’s that we all have that in common. Hahaha

Over the weekend I was talking to my wife about this beer conversation and she reminded me of another beer I really like. Have any of you ever tried Moose Drool? It is brewed by Big Sky Brewing Company in Missoula, Montana. It's a brown ale and it's great. You can get it here. I haven't tried any of their other brews. I think I first tried it about 15-16 years ago.

Another good brown ale beer I like is New Castle.

We were in Gatlinburg, TN a couple years ago and I tried a Dunkel called Yee Haw. It is brewed in that area and you can't get it anywhere else. Also good stuff.

I’m a big fan of the brown ales as well. If you ever get a chance St Louis has a pair of very good brown ales in Velvet Underbrown from Heavy Riff and American Brown Ale from Civil Life.

Great thread!

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
We now move on to beer.
As I used to spill more than I drink, I'll keep my thoughts brief.

1. I'm convinced beer is best enjoyed at an event and not alone. Further, you can't replicate its enjoyment alone.
  2. That said, it's nearly impossible for a beer to be bad at a tailgate.
  3. Anchor Steam is the best single beer ever. I'm proud to say I've toured the brewery in San Francisco. Fritz Maytag is an American hero. Unfortunately he sold it in 2010.
  4. Special Export was the best beer in these parts at one time. Beer didn't ship well (see Bandit, Smokey and the), thus competition was lessened. Honestly, it tasted like Heineken.
  5. Supposedly Schlitz was good, until the unfortunate l'affaire du snot. Related: Uihlein Signs With Northwestern
  6. Never forgot the time Paul and I found the case of Olympia in the fridge in the basement of the parish hall at recess. Shaking up the cans and spraying eachother like we'd just won the World Series was hilarious. Once the bell rang, we had no idea on how to explain why we smelled like a KofC smoker.
  7. Schmidt's of Philadelphia (The Instigator of the 700 Level) was one fragrant beer. Although it's been gone for decades, I can still smell it when I hear the theme of Monday Night Football.
  8. If elected, I will make the Reinheitsgebot the law of the land. Looking at you MillerCoors, Bud and the rest of the purveyors of the pisswater.
  9. Rice is for saki and we didn't recapture Corregidor so we'd be lapping up that tinkle like a bunch of poltroons. Malted barley, barkeep.
  10. Siebel Institute was, and still may be, the best school in Illinois when considering starting salary and the esteem in which you'd be held by your neighbors.
  11. Honeymoon Ideas: Wisconsin Brewery Tours LINK
  12. Here's to hoping we'll be able to enjoy an Old Style at Wrigley, a Fallstaff at Comiskey, a Stroh's at Tiger, a Piel's at Yankee, a Natty Bo at Memorial, an Iron City at Forbes, a Pabst at County, a Grain Belt at the Met, a Rheingold at Shea, a Ballentine at the Polo Grounds . . . SOON!

I was in Binny's yesterday to pick up some Moose Drool and they didn't have it. Not happy about that. I almost bought a six pack of Lone Star. That is good stuff. But I passed and left empty handed.

We now move on to beer.
As I used to spill more than I drink, I'll keep my thoughts brief.

1. I'm convinced beer is best enjoyed at an event and not alone. Further, you can't replicate its enjoyment alone.
  2. That said, it's nearly impossible for a beer to be bad at a tailgate.
  3. Anchor Steam is the best single beer ever. I'm proud to say I've toured the brewery in San Francisco. Fritz Maytag is an American hero. Unfortunately he sold it in 2010.
  4. Special Export was the best beer in these parts at one time. Beer didn't ship well (see Bandit, Smokey and the), thus competition was lessened. Honestly, it tasted like Heineken.
  5. Supposedly Schlitz was good, until the unfortunate l'affaire du snot. Related: Uihlein Signs With Northwestern
  6. Never forgot the time Paul and I found the case of Olympia in the fridge in the basement of the parish hall at recess. Shaking up the cans and spraying eachother like we'd just won the World Series was hilarious. Once the bell rang, we had no idea on how to explain why we smelled like a KofC smoker.
  7. Schmidt's of Philadelphia (The Instigator of the 700 Level) was one fragrant beer. Although it's been gone for decades, I can still smell it when I hear the theme of Monday Night Football.
  8. If elected, I will make the Reinheitsgebot the law of the land. Looking at you MillerCoors, Bud and the rest of the purveyors of the pisswater.
  9. Rice is for saki and we didn't recapture Corregidor so we'd be lapping up that tinkle like a bunch of poltroons. Malted barley, barkeep.
  10. Siebel Institute was, and still may be, the best school in Illinois when considering starting salary and the esteem in which you'd be held by your neighbors.
  11. Honeymoon Ideas: Wisconsin Brewery Tours LINK
  12. Here's to hoping we'll be able to enjoy an Old Style at Wrigley, a Fallstaff at Comiskey, a Stroh's at Tiger, a Piel's at Yankee, a Natty Bo at Memorial, an Iron City at Forbes, a Pabst at County, a Grain Belt at the Met, a Rheingold at Shea, a Ballentine at the Polo Grounds . . . SOON!
Bless you king

We are hosting "happy hour" in the parking lot with a couple of customers this Friday and going forward. Something about beers while standing on pavement draws men to such events for some reason.

The concept has been wildly embraced ... this could get out of hand!

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT