ADVERTISEMENT

The Weekend?

Not much of a beer drinker anymore as the stomach can’t handle the older I get. But I do love me a frosty Spotted Cow now and then.
Oh yeah. Forgot about Spotted Cow. Real good stuff from New Glarus Brewing. Have you ever had the New Glarus Moon Man and Totally Naked brews? They are also good.

Oh yeah. Forgot about Spotted Cow. Real good stuff from New Glarus Brewing. Have you ever had the New Glarus Moon Man and Totally Naked brews? They are also good.
They're all pretty good (New Glarus). I too like some IPA's, Oswego Brewing Company has some pretty good ones out there as well. In fact, I'm heading to Binny's right now.

Standard stock in my fridge is revolution’s Anti Hero or Lagunita’s Lil Sumthin Sumthin or Hop Stoopid.

I like Commodore Perry ... most bang for buck ... and I really like Rogue’s Dead Guy.

Misfit is good - some batches are too floral, however.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
I haven’t tried those other two beers. We did drive up to New Glarus a couple years ago to visit the brewery and do a tasting. They have a really cool beer garden up there.

Reactions: ignazio
Craft beer made me a hop head. Give me an IPA. East Coast, West Coast, Third Coast, I don't care, as long as it has high IBU and a high ABV.

Indianas 3 Floyd’s Brewery has some pretty awesome craft beers. Zombi Dust & WarPigs Foggy Geezer are really good. You have to be careful because they have a high alcohol content and they sneak up on you. Lol

Indianas 3 Floyd’s Brewery has some pretty awesome craft beers. Zombi Dust & WarPigs Foggy Geezer are really good. You have to be careful because they have a high alcohol content and they sneak up on you. Lol
3 Floyd's is good. I'm pretty lucky out here in the Far West, there are quite a few local breweries within an easy 15-20 minute drive, including Oswego Brewing, 2 Brothers, Revolution, Garage Band Brewing and Black Dog Distillery.

Have you guys ever tried Anchor Steam? It's a craft beer brewed in San Francisco. I first tried it years ago when I was in Reno with my wife for a business convention I was attending. We stayed out there another few days and they had a beer festival on a Saturday in downtown Reno with several bands and several different beers, etc. You paid $30 each to get in. But you were able to have unlimited samples of all the different brews. Each tent also gave away several advertising products like, bottle openers, little posters, magnetic advertising, etc. Anchor Steam is good stuff and they do have it at Binny's. It was also the first time I tried Lagunitas. At that time I couldn't get either of those brews here. Of course they had brews from as far away as Alaska. But the Anchor Steam is what stood out for me.

We are really getting into the weeds here. I love it.

Last edited:
Are you making those names up? LOL! Sounds like the youngsters would like the Zombie Dust.

Reactions: Gene K.
There are four walking-distance breweries in my hood.

Here is one a DO NOT LIKE ... pretentious bull-dykes, all of them!
https://www.twistedhippo.com/beers/

Was asking a crew-cut chick about the make up of a beer - said I tasted grapefruit. "Oh no ... that's an allergen, there is no grapefruit or I'd have told you."

My buddy asks if we could bet shots on her knowledge ... sure ... showed her the Beer Advocate description provided by them ... she reneged on the shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: missingwalter
The Public Landing Restaurant in downtown Lockport use to carry Anchor Steam on tap. Not sure if they do anymore. I'm not a big beer guy, but it was really good.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
However this thread ended up on beer, thank you.

im not a hoppy guy (but I am a happy guy) so IPAs don’t do it for me. I think beers should be golden and colden. So I’m a lager and Pilsner guy so that puts me in the mass market beers. Dos Equis lager (green bottle) is probably the best example of what I enjoy. I tried Lagunitas Pils but didn’t like it, do any of you functioning alcoholics, I mean beer connoisseurs, know of good craft Pilsner I should consume this weekend?

Reactions: go_rice
Have you guys ever tried Anchor Steam? It's a craft beer brewed in San Francisco. I first tried it years ago when I was in Reno with my wife for a business convention I was attending. We stayed out there another few days and they had a beer festival on a Saturday in downtown Reno with several bands and several different beers, etc. You paid $30 each to get in. But you were able to have unlimited samples of all the different brews. Each tent also gave away several advertising products like, bottle openers, little posters, magnetic advertising, etc. Anchor Steam is good stuff and they do have it at Binny's. It was also the first time I tried Lagunitas. At that time I couldn't get either of those brews here. Of course they had brews from as far away as Alaska. But the Anchor Steam is what stood out for me.

We are really getting into the weeds here. I love it.

I have tried it was pretty good.

do any of you functioning alcoholics, I mean beer connoisseurs, know of good craft Pilsner I should consume this weekend?
I'd say just grab the first thing you can get your hands on. LOL! Not a big IPA guy either. I think almost all of them are too bitter for me.

Reactions: RockSoup
Did not make round two ... dozed with bottom remnants in the glass and a finger or two of beer left.

Went to bed. I’m old.
LOL!! I drank a few Hamm's last night. Now that's the beer of old guys and broke guys. Well, I am old anyway.

LOL!! I drank a few Hamm's last night. Now that's the beer of old guys and broke guys. Well, I am old anyway.
Olympia and Golden Global (I think) were our broke beers back in the late 70's early 80's, and occasionally Hamm's. :D:D

Can’t do Hamms it’s right up there with Old Milwaukee. Damn! If I am drinking on the cheap I will drink Coors Light before either of those two. Lol

Reactions: Gene K.
3 Floyd's is good. I'm pretty lucky out here in the Far West, there are quite a few local breweries within an easy 15-20 minute drive, including Oswego Brewing, 2 Brothers, Revolution, Garage Band Brewing and Black Dog Distillery.
You should check out Week Force in Plainfield, and Metal Monkey in Romeoville. DELICIOUS

Reactions: missingwalter
Yeah Work Force is good, I’ll try to get to the Monkey as well. I mentioned Garage band earlier, however not to take this a different direction, but the BBQ place attached to it, Station 1, is really good.

Milwaukee Best Light, college choice. 5.99 for 24 pack. Delicious

That’s .25/per beer. That’s sounds about right. No way I would drink anything that has a Milwaukee name. Taste bad and gives you a hangover. Lol
.25 is very cheap though! I could see how it’s a college choice.

In college we use to buy kegs right off the truck when they would deliver to the bars. Milwaukee's Best Ice, which eventually just got called "Jacob's lager"

However this thread ended up on beer, thank you.

im not a hoppy guy (but I am a happy guy) so IPAs don’t do it for me. I think beers should be golden and colden. So I’m a lager and Pilsner guy so that puts me in the mass market beers. Dos Equis lager (green bottle) is probably the best example of what I enjoy. I tried Lagunitas Pils but didn’t like it, do any of you functioning alcoholics, I mean beer connoisseurs, know of good craft Pilsner I should consume this weekend?

I also prefer Lagers to IPAs... here are a few local suggestions I highly recommend for Pilsners and other light lagers:

Church Street - as missingwalter suggested, they have some good light lagers. The Pils walter mentioned is my favorite, they also have a Helles Lager which people enjoy and a Maibock for a bit heavier punch.

Dovetail Brewing - they specialize in lagers, have a few options available via distro that you can find, plus some awesome offerings from the brewery. They are in north side chicago.

Metropolitan Brewing - another brewery that only focuses on lagers. This brewery maybe has the best taproom in Chicagoland/entire state overlooking the Chicago river. Once the state opens up, and you feel comfortable visiting bars/breweries, I highly recommend this one for the view, plus beers are top notch!

Nothing wrong with Dos Equis but id give these 3 breweries a chance for a “craft” version of a more “basic” style beer if you see them.

Loaded up the wife and kids yesterday for ride in the rain and snow up to Wisconsin for some Spotted Cow. And a few other things LOL.
LOL! I was tempted too. But Indiana is much closer to me than Wisconsin. Besides I had too much to do this past weekend. Finally finished drywalling, and painting bedroom walls and ceiling. Have to finish a paint job in our front room this weekend. That job won't be as bad.

I will get to Wisconsin very soon. I was thinking of going to the Mars Cheese Castle in Kenosha. Where did you get the Spotted Cow? It is over priced at the Castle.

LOL! I was tempted too. But Indiana is much closer to me than Wisconsin. Besides I had too much to do this past weekend. Finally finished drywalling, and painting bedroom walls and ceiling. Have to finish a paint job in our front room this weekend. That job won't be as bad.

I will get to Wisconsin very soon. I was thinking of going to the Mars Cheese Castle in Kenosha. Where did you get the Spotted Cow? It is over priced at the Castle.
We hit a grocery store in Burlington. It’s not cheap beer. $17 ish for a 12.

Never had spotted cow and never heard of it. Is it good? What type of beer is it?
I like it but I don’t really drink a lot of beer these days. It is good and smooth. Technically it’s closer to a cream ale. New Glarus brewery doesn’t sell beer in Illinois. If you like Oberon from Bells you might like this beer.

Last edited:
I like it but I don’t really drink a lot of beer these days. It is good and smooth. Technically it’s closer to a cream ale. New Glarus brewery doesn’t sell beer in Illinois. If you like Oberon from Bells you might like this beer.

I do like Bells 2 Hearted Ale. I will have to give it a try.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT