ADVERTISEMENT

Montini Fans

Who would be in your all time Montini starting linebackers???

I would go with Sykes, Kapp and Embrey with reserves Gorrell and I really liked Joe Davis.

A discussion about Montini LBs without Tim O'Connor is ridiculous.

Reactions: BACAT5844
Just found out InterMat just ranked Montini Wrestling the #4 team in the Nation!

http://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/high_school/Team

I think the Montini Girls basketball team is ranked #1 in the State right now.

Coach Jason Nichols just won his 500th game over Lincoln Way East.
Where are girls hoops rankings. Naz has a really good team this year. Can't wait to see how they stack up in the Montini tournament.

MCHS, you remember the state title game in 2015, in the Naz broadcast that was on NFHS the commentators(comcast guys) were Joking/discussing that that was an excuses the Montini coaches used the year before...very unprofessional on their part as they didn't realize they were dealing with an open mic.

It was a limping LB and a DE who went to Ohio State not staying home all.damn.day.

MCHS, you remember the state title game in 2015, in the Naz broadcast that was on NFHS the commentators(comcast guys) were Joking/discussing that that was an excuses the Montini coaches used the year before...very unprofessional on their part as they didn't realize they were dealing with an open mic.

I do remember. Maduko being hurt really crushed them. The DE was just all over the place that day. I felt bad for him. 40 passes in a row didn't help either, particularly when they ran the ball so well in Q1.

I don't doubt that you heard that the Montini coaches used the weather as an excuse, or you thought you heard that they used it as an excuse for their loss or losses to SHG. That is the first time I have heard that story.
Both the title games in 2013 at NIU and 2014 at Champaign were played in beautiful weather. I don't think any Montini coaches used that for an excuse for their consecutive losses to SHG, and I have never heard a Montini coach use the weather as an excuse for any loss.

I never heard the weather excuse either. I was very confused when reading it here in this thead.

I don't doubt that you heard that the Montini coaches used the weather as an excuse, or you thought you heard that they used it as an excuse for their loss or losses to SHG. That is the first time I have heard that story.
Both the title games in 2013 at NIU and 2014 at Champaign were played in beautiful weather. I don't think any Montini coaches used that for an excuse for their consecutive losses to SHG, and I have never heard a Montini coach use the weather as an excuse for any loss.

I do remember it being tossed out there, but agreed, the coaching staff never used weather as an excuse.

Guys, breath for a minute...I didn't say it, in fact I said I thought it was completely unprofessional for the Comcast commentators to be saying it and they probably didn't realize the mic was open when talking. It was quite entertaining to listen to them making asses of themselves.

I do remember it being tossed out there, but agreed, the coaching staff never used weather as an excuse.

O'Connor was pure nasty, and could hit like a ton of bricks.....definitely a throwback great, he should be considered in the Montini all Time best LB. no doubt about it.

Guys, breath for a minute...I didn't say it, in fact I said I thought it was completely unprofessional for the Comcast commentators to be saying it and they probably didn't realize the mic was open when talking. It was quite entertaining to listen to them making asses of themselves.

The reason I commented was that your story about the Montini coaches blaming the weather for their loss or losses to SHG was improbable due to the fact that the weather for both games was excellent.
You take the commentators to task for their comments, but without the context that the weather was incredible both in 2013 and 2014, it might seem to the casual reader that the sportscasters said something that was true but they should not have said it.

I do remember. Maduko being hurt really crushed them. The DE was just all over the place that day. I felt bad for him. 40 passes in a row didn't help either, particularly when they ran the ball so well in Q1.
I remember watching that game vivdly. Kept thinking to myself Montini has one of the best DE in the country and SHG is making him look bad. Not his fault at all though. They weren't ready for it and got outcoached. That and wondering why Montini wasn't running the ball more.

We're all good jwar, I knew what you meant.

I remember watching that game vivdly. Kept thinking to myself Montini has one of the best DE in the country and SHG is making him look bad. Not his fault at all though. They weren't ready for it and got outcoached. That and wondering why Montini wasn't running the ball more.

Offline conversation about the DE is warranted.

All.... QB Gabe Green (SHG) was the best read/option player I have ever seen for the Cyclones. A prolific passer but take that away just good enough to hurt a team by running. Which he did in his high school career including those two championship games. A difficult offense to stop when it is run correctly. (making the right decisions) I have always felt to defend against it a defense must be willing to change up (if needed) on almost every play. No waiting till half time. Just my two cents.... Ratsy

Corner Rat,

Would like to see Gabe Green and that team vs Superman and PR.

They would have defenses very frustrated.

Mucha played some seldom linebacker. He was a very good wrestler.

I remember going to church on Christmas Eve and a lot of Glenbard East wrestlers were sitting by me and they kept talking before mass how a kid from Montini easily pinned their stud undefeated wrestler at Dvorak that day. They did not know who Mucha was so I was just laughing to myself.

Reactions: bronco man
Ok best Montini all time Montini wide receivers in the spread. Who are your picks??

I know you have to have Jordan Westerkamp. Who are the other two and reserves??

I am thinking for the other WR spots....

Bob Westerkamp
Joey Borsellino

Reserves Thornton and Taylor or Tumpane??

Millikan?? Anyone from the 70s 80s or 90s??

I would pick West but need him as my starting corner.

I think that is one of the keys to Montini's prior and future success is to get the bigger guys wrestling. It doesn't matter if they are state qualifiers or not, but wrestling technique is transferable to football offensive and defensive lineman and linebackers in terms of leverage, balance etc. A good example is Carl Foreside Jr. who only played football his senior year in 2007. Carl took 2nd place at the State Tournament at 189 pounds in 2008. If he had played from his freshman year, he would have played football at the next level.

I think that is one of the keys to Montini's prior and future success is to get the bigger guys wrestling. It doesn't matter if they are state qualifiers or not, but wrestling technique is transferable to football offensive and defensive lineman and linebackers in terms of leverage, balance etc. A good example is Carl Foreside Jr. who only played football his senior year in 2007. Carl took 2nd place at the State Tournament at 189 pounds in 2008. If he had played from his freshman year, he would have played football at the next level.

True I like wrestlers who play football but only the heavyweight level would give you a lineman. The 189 pounds is too small for a lineman. Also wrestling now has become a year round sport except for the heavyweight level.

Much of Montini's future success will depend on how many 240 pound and up lineman they can produce at the varsity level each year. They will need 12 to 14 every year to compete in the blue.

Wassup

Reactions: Gene K.
Senior Captain, QB, Gaetano Vallone (@swaggteam07) SR. season Film. #2

Offense: QB Passing Yards: 2,677
Passing TDs: 35
Rushing Yards: 934
Rushing TDs: 15

1st Team All-Conference, All-Area Offense, MLive Offensive Player of the Year, 4x State Champion

https://t.co/RHOMR9redo

https://t.co/Ia3cof0KGv

@GRWCfootball

Green was the perfect kid for that O, but like I said, if not for self inflicted wounds by the 2014 Broncos, that could've been a 28-27 winner. Embrey as a junior and remember Warden the Glenbard West transfer? He broke his arm the week before vs Geneseo and hardly played vs SHG in 2014. That kid was a killer. Had he not had issues with discipline he might've made the top LB's list. Def all time Scout team player.

As far as top WR's go in no order (2x2 formation) 1. Joey Borse 2. Jordan 3. Bob Westerkamp 4. Leon

Leon was extremely versatile on that 2014 team. Wildcat Qb, safety, corner, and WR.

Right next to Warden on the all "shoulda woulda coulda" team was Stephen Dennis. Would've had a huge senior year at WR, but just could not get healthy.

Milikin regressed as a senior after a really big junior year.

Coach Bu was once quoted as saying if he had to start a team with any player it's be Joey Borse. Said maybe the most complete football player ever at Montini.

Last edited:
I think if I were playing a all-timer game vs another team I would go with Borse, J Westerkamp and Thornton at starting wide receivers.

To make the team stronger Bob Westerkamp would be reserve wide receiver and play every 3rd down because he makes big plays.

Bob Westerkamp would be my only two way player and play full time between corner and free safety depending on the matchups. He was great at getting interceptions and had 5 in one playoff game. The opposite comer at full time would be West.

Wassup

West could've been maybe the best out of them all, maybe second best... jordan was pretty darn good. He was your home run hitter coming from Corner to WR. Some of the big plays he made were electric in a small sample size.

At all time running backs I would have Walker, Hyland. Taylor and Gorrell. Reserves would be Campanella and Borsellino's. Campanella would be part of my 3rd down package since he can run and catch.

Mike Mucha would be moved to strong safety and reserve linebacker. What WR would want to cross the middle of the field with Mucha out there?

Add Tucker Mucha to DB and Hollingshed to corner.

Last edited:
All time starting QB would be Rhode and Blake. Reserves Pechloff, older Norgle, Mastandrea.

Blake is absolutely your starter. 4.3 with a rocket arm. Running backs is HARD. That's a lot of all state guys. Mucha all time leading rusher, Prince just won Scout Team Player of the Year at Western Michigan and would've been the all time leader had he not torn that quad.

Johnny Borse was a college all american but team didn't win state. Joey Borse was all state next to Mucha. Gorell is a freak. Taylor.

This is hard. Hyland is a walking legend too. I have no answer here.

Reactions: Wassup13
Since I have no answer for running back, literally do it by committee. Like maybe you have an all Borsellino drive, then do Prince and Mucha little thunder and lightning, then Gorell and Taylor. Then bring in the hammer, Hyland for your 4th quarter with Campanella? Step on their throats? I have no answer here haha

Blake is my guy 100% I can think of 4 or 5 runs he had in 2015 that NOBODY in the state could hang with. Have an old friend that coached on that great 2015 Loyola team that was listed in that "Greatest Teams Ever" post (2015 Broncos were honorable mention). Even he said they couldn't hang with Blake. He was a four sport athlete. Could dunk, won the county high jump championship, and played center field in addition to being an all state Qb. I've attached his highlights for your viewing pleasure.

Yes Blake was great. Think he ended up with 30 touchdowns and 1 interceptions and the 1 mistake was when the wide receivers could not run through the snow.

Rhode' s numbers I know where off the charts and he misses the first 5 games of the season due to injury. But I know they were off the charts on a per game basis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT