Scott with a pick six!

West Catholic 17
Swan Valley 0
11:11 2nd Quarter

@GRWCfootball

West Catholic 34-7 victory highlight

5th Straight 5a Michigan State Championship

Check out @statechampsnet's Tweet:

I wish. I want Montini to play them for a non-con game but with Montini going to the blue they need to schedule two non-con cupcakes.

They have any openings on their schedule next year?

Their head coach Joe Hyland went to Montini in the 90s and was a stud running back under Andriano. He was one of eight kids in his family. I think he played professional football in the Canadian League. This was his 2nd year at GRWC.

I believe coach Dobry is there also. He was a assistant coach at Montini in 2004 when Montini won its first championship. Mike Mucha was on that team along with Dobry's son.

Wassup

Reactions: Gene K. and ignazio
Maybe Hyland should have been Coach A successor

No Coach Bu is the right man for Montini. He is so dedicated to the school.

He has won 15 state titles in 3 different sports at Montini. I do think Montini needs a new scheme on defense that focuses on stopping the run.

Montini brought the Maine South offense to the school and the change has been great! It's now time to overhaul the defensive scheme.

Reactions: Gene K.
Coach Tumpane had been DB coach for about 10 years. Took over the reigns of defensive coordinator in 2014. 3 championship games in 4 years. Pretty good defenses too.
Montini's done pretty good with the defensive mind they currently have, how many championships?

It was great two years ago but we had a great defensive line and two all state linebackers.

Other than that it's been close to poor against the run and time of possession.

It's built to be good vs the pass and in the red zone but passive outside of the red zone and teams figured out not to play a 7 on 7 game against us but just run the football which is the weakness.

If you don't stop the run in the blue, you don't win any games.

Last edited:
Their head coach Joe Hyland went to Montini in the 90s and was a stud running back under Andriano. He was one of eight kids in his family. I think he played professional football in the Canadian League. This was his 2nd year at GRWC.

I believe coach Dobry is there also. He was a assistant coach at Montini in 2004 when Montini won its first championship. Mike Mucha was on that team along with Dobry's son.

Wassup

Wassup,

I don't think DObry was coaching at the time, but his son quarterbacked the team in 2004 against Coal City. You also forgot Joe Hyland's younger brother Marty was a tight end and defensive lineman on the 2004 title team. Mike Mucha is now coaching and teaching at Nequa Valley.

That Montini team just ran over everybody.

Reactions: Wassup13
In 2015 Montini allowed less than a touchdown 9 straight games, which included 4 shutouts. Teams only averaged 8.8 points a game! They can't all be 14-0 years.

In 2015 Montini allowed less than a touchdown 9 straight games, which included 4 shutouts. Teams only averaged 8.8 points a game! They can't all be 14-0 years.

I think the Montini defense outscored the opposition's offense for the year. But the d lineman were very good and you had Embrey and Kapp at linebacker.

They will not ever have that much talent again.

Wassup,

I don't think DObry was coaching at the time, but his son quarterbacked the team in 2004 against Coal City. You also forgot Joe Hyland's younger brother Marty was a tight end and defensive lineman on the 2004 title team. Mike Mucha is now coaching and teaching at Nequa Valley.

That Montini team just ran over everybody.

Yes Marty Hyland had about 30 sacks that year.

Possibly the best combination of four linebackers you'll see on that team.

John Embrey (Central Missouri) - 1st Team All State, 290 career varsity tackles, 4.5 40 @ 220 lbs.

Jake Kapp (Illinois Weslyan) - 2x All State, Conf player of the year (Glenbard South)

Luke Sheppard (Wash U.) - Maybe one of the smartest kids/ football players you'll ever be around.

Nick Foster (Grand Valley State) - Junior, some of the biggest hits you'll ever see!

.... Foster was the "weak link" so to speak, was the side they would check to when seeing Embrey and Kapp on the same side and he just got a scholarship to a d2 power.

Special Group. Included Spivak (Northwestern), Mike Ross (Western Illinois), Mitch West (Navy), Tommy Hyland (N.W. Missouri State),

Another good linebacker tandem at Montini was Nile Sykes (Indiana), Mike Maduko (Ohio State) and Quick.

I think the '04 linebackers were good. I can't remember all of them but Mucha, Blackwell, Joe Davis and Erlenbaugh. A young Dex Jones also on that roster.

83 Gorcyca, Krisch and Luka First Montini team to make it to the state semifinals for Montini.

08 Gorrell, Campanella, Tredeneck, Diedrick, Brucianelli, Walters

Last edited:
Possibly the best combination of four linebackers you'll see on that team.

John Embrey (Central Missouri) - 1st Team All State, 290 career varsity tackles, 4.5 40 @ 220 lbs.

Jake Kapp (Illinois Weslyan) - 2x All State, Conf player of the year (Glenbard South)

Luke Sheppard (Wash U.) - Maybe one of the smartest kids/ football players you'll ever be around.

Nick Foster (Grand Valley State) - Junior, some of the biggest hits you'll ever see!

.... Foster was the "weak link" so to speak, was the side they would check to when seeing Embrey and Kapp on the same side and he just got a scholarship to a d2 power.

Special Group. Included Spivak (Northwestern), Mike Ross (Western Illinois), Mitch West (Navy), Tommy Hyland (N.W. Missouri State),

Foster underrated. He played great junior year and just ok senior but this kid was very athletic and felt like he could be a very good college linebacker

In the beginning I believed he had the tools to be the best all time linebacker at Montini.

Another good linebacker tandem at Montini was Nile Sykes (Indiana), Mike Maduko (Ohio State) and Quick.

I think the '04 linebackers were good. I can't remember all of them but Mucha, Blackwell, Joe Davis and Erlenbaugh. A young Dex Jones also on that roster.

83 Gorcyca, Krisch and Luka First Montini team to make it to the state semifinals for Montini.

08 Gorrell, Campanella, Tredeneck, Diedrick, Brucianelli, Walters
what was gorcyca first name ? Jim?

Foster had a bum knee as a senior, thankful he's getting a redshirt year to let it heal at GVSU.

That '08 group is hard to argue with. Bruscianelli is still the alltime leader in tackles, Campanella was a stud and Gorell might be one of the most underrated players ever at Montini.

My money is still with 2015 with wins against Maine South, ESL, and St Rita... but this is a fun argument to have.

Agreed Gorrell was very underrated. Agree with you about 2015. They beat Maine South and East St Louis without Kapp.

Kapps first game was the St Rita game and on St Ritas first offense series Kapp stripped the ball from the St Rita running back and ran it in for a touchdown.

Never saw this kid miss a tackle and had the best technique and form for making a tackle. Kapp was the best tackler in Montini history. Teams should show his video when teaching young kids how to make a tackle.

Who would be in your all time Montini starting linebackers???

I would go with Sykes, Kapp and Embrey with reserves Gorrell and I really liked Joe Davis.

In 2015 they were in a 4-4 a lot. So I'll take the liberty to have 4 LB's.

You're really solid with those 4, but Bruscianelli is the all time leading tackler though, can he be left out? Really really tough discussion.

Sykes may be the best high school football player I've ever seen. Man amongst boys. He could do anything. So I'll stick him on the inside with Embrey, and put Gorell and Kapp outside.

And I believe at the Montini Youth Coaches Camp one year they did use Kapp/ Embrey/ Foster highlights as teaching tape.

In 2015 they were in a 4-4 a lot. So I'll take the liberty to have 4 LB's.

You're really solid with those 4, but Bruscianelli is the all time leading tackler though, can he be left out? Really really tough discussion.

Sykes may be the best high school football player I've ever seen. Man amongst boys. He could do anything. So I'll stick him on the inside with Embrey, and put Gorell and Kapp outside.

And I believe at the Montini Youth Coaches Camp one year they did use Kapp/ Embrey/ Foster highlights as teaching tape.

Just remembered side note. The plan was, Embrey was supposed to come up as a Soph but got hurt. So your 3 LB's would've been Sykes Embrey Maduko.... then maybe Maduko doesn't get hurt, and who knows... SHG can't just run away from Sykes all game.

Just remembered side note. The plan was, Embrey was supposed to come up as a Soph but got hurt. So your 3 LB's would've been Sykes Embrey Maduko.... then maybe Maduko doesn't get hurt, and who knows... SHG can't just run away from Sykes all game.
Optioned off Thompson and ran away from Sykes. Montini never adjusted.

That was the year Simmie Cobbs (Indiana) was supposed to be one of our wide receivers but he had to leave Montini a few days before school started because of funding falling through.

We would have beat Shg with Cobbs.

THAT may have been the most talented team in terms of sheer talent in Montini's history. I'm not saying BEST team just pure God given talent.

In 2014 Montini again could've beat SHG if not for two penalites on touchdowns. Montini had no business being in that game VS a team that scored a state record in points. Those two touchdowns would've made it 28-27 Broncos. (If my aunt had plums she'd be my uncle).. That may have been one of the best coaching jobs even in the loss. 2014 was a good prelude for 2015. Similar to what Naz is working with right now. 2017 is a prelude of whats to come in 2018.

Naz will be on a mission next year and are loaded

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT