ADVERTISEMENT

LWE AT GBW

I think if the chants get dirty, it's uncalled for. Most of the LWE chants are clever. For instance, last year at LWC, they were chanting "We don't miss you" in reference to the reconfiguration of the schools. This year with LWC visiting LWE the LWC students responded with a cheer about having higher SAT scores. If you want to shut the LWE student section up, then beat the Griffins on the field.
The “F$@k Loyola” chant at the 8A game last year was clever.

Reactions: Gene K.
I keep thinking someone will bring this up, but I guess I have to. If the discussion is that LWE was guilty of "offensive" chants Saturday, with the chant of "Lockport's better" being submitted as a prime example of the "offensive" behavior, may I provide a competing perspective as a Hitters fan. Other than maybe a handful of knowledgable fans, that chant meant nothing to the GBW fans and students. Lockport? Not sure most GBW students know Lockport has a high school or football (no disrespect to Lockport, people from Lockport probably get confused by the four Glenbards or why the Hilltoppers call themselves Hitters.) If the LWE students were guilty of anything with that chant, it was of "not knowing their audience." ;) Nothing I heard was offensive...well, the Na na na na na, hey hey..." is very stale...LWE kids were having fun...all good.

I'd rather have teens in the stands, at fall football games, doing a black out, a white out, dancing, chanting and going crazy... than doing any of the other hundred things we'd rather them not do.

I'd rather have teens in the stands, at fall football games, doing a black out, a white out, dancing, chanting and going crazy... than doing any of the other hundred things we'd rather them not do.

This.

I guess a lot of folks are okay with the negative chanting. My opinion is my opinion, sorry I don't share some of your views. I like Lockport too Bones. Still think 99% of those chanters would shit their pants if confronted by most of the players on the field. It's all fun and games if you like taunting others. IMO root for your team but not get negative towards another team or player. Guess I'm old fashioned when it comes to sportsmanship whether on the field or in the stands.

BTW Could this negative behavior carry over into the classroom with bullying or other egregious acts? Remember its all fun and games unless you are the target then its not okay right?

GW can take the heat. GW has been better in prior years as we had more size and depth and played mostly in 7A. I think we hang better there, but unfortunately, we picked up some extra students and now pay for our sins.

Chanting that GW is not as good as Lockport is funny and silly. Some of the responses here have been spot on and clever. No lines crossed and happy to hear most LWE fans had a good game day experience in The Glen.

Sorry I had to be in Raleigh, cause I would love to have seen the game at field level. What I saw on NFHS was difficult to watch, mostly because the camera missed so many plays. I don't see anyone beating The Beast. Best of luck to you.

The crowd for GBW was awesome and very hospitable. Parking and directions given for game day was spot on. I have seen the facility before but never watched a game there. The student section for GBW was very small but with todays youth Saturday games are secondary to way too many activities. Overall it still did not replace the lost Holy Grail of 2012 in Champaign vs. the Hitters.

... but unfortunately, we picked up some extra students and now pay for our sins.

There was a slight increase, but with IHSA playoff format, it's more a relative enrollment issue. GW enrollment has remained steady (with slight increase) the last 10 or so years while many perennial playoff schools that once had larger enrollments have lost more than 200 students and are now smaller than GW.

A few current playoff contenders are now consistently bigger, like Huntley and St Charles East (maybe more, but 2008 enrollments list is not archived by IHSA).

With the decline in Glenbard North enrollment, I wonder if the Glenbard District 87 board will consider having students from Queen Bee District 16 (north of North Ave and west of Bloomingdale Road) attend Glenbard North again. Glenbard West would then only have Elementary District 41 feed into GW and Queen Bee would all attend GN. I am not sure if Marquardt District 15 feeder is still split between GN and GE.

https://www.glenbard87.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/12/boundary-map.pdf

2008-2009 enrollments
--
3963 - Brother Rice
2953 - Mt Carmel
2765 - GN
2625 - GE
2592 - Maine South
2575 - Schaumburg
2514 - St Rita
2514 - Jacobs
2492 - Edwardsville
2423 - WWS
2354 - Belleville West
2317 - Carmel
2286 - Lake Zurich
2270 - DGN
2216 - Wheaton North
2177 - South Elgin
2195 - Niles North
2175 - St Charles North
2127 - GW
2122 - St Charles East
1770 - Huntley

2018-2019 enrollments
--
2996 - Huntley
2733 - South Elgin
2512 - St Charles East
2401 - Maine South
2346 - Edwardsville
2321 - GW
2290 - Brother Rice
2248 - GE
2229 - GN
2206 - DGN
2158 - Belleville West
2148 - Schaumburg
2122 - Jacobs
2108 - Carmel
2096 - Wheaton North
2059 - Niles North
2042 - Mt Carmel
2022 - St Charles North
2009 - WWS
1933 - St Rita
1921 - Lake Zurich

Last edited:
... but unfortunately, we picked up some extra students and now pay for our sins.

There was a slight increase, but with IHSA playoff format, it's more a relative enrollment issue. GW enrollment has remained steady (with slight increase) the last 10 or so years while many perennial playoff schools that once had larger enrollments have lost more than 200 students and are now smaller than GW.

A few current playoff contenders are now consistently bigger, like Huntley and St Charles East (maybe more, but 2008 enrollments list is not archived by IHSA).

With the decline in Glenbard North enrollment, I wonder if the Glenbard District 87 board will consider having students from Queen Bee District 16 (north of North Ave and west of Bloomingdale Road) attend Glenbard North again. Glenbard West would then only have Elementary District 41 feed into GW and Queen Bee would all attend GN. I am not sure if Marquardt District 15 feeder is still split between GN and GE.

https://www.glenbard87.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/12/boundary-map.pdf

2008-2009 enrollments
--
3963 - Brother Rice
2953 - Mt Carmel
2765 - GN
2625 - GE
2592 - Maine South
2575 - Schaumburg
2514 - St Rita
2514 - Jacobs
2492 - Edwardsville
2423 - WWS
2354 - Belleville West
2317 - Carmel
2286 - Lake Zurich
2270 - DGN
2216 - Wheaton North
2177 - South Elgin
2195 - Niles North
2175 - St Charles North
2127 - GW
2122 - St Charles East
1770 - Huntley

2018-2019 enrollments
--
2996 - Huntley
2733 - South Elgin
2512 - St Charles East
2401 - Maine South
2346 - Edwardsville
2321 - GW
2290 - Brother Rice
2248 - GE
2229 - GN
2206 - DGN
2158 - Belleville West
2148 - Schaumburg
2122 - Jacobs
2108 - Carmel
2096 - Wheaton North
2059 - Niles North
2042 - Mt Carmel
2022 - St Charles North
2009 - WWS
1933 - St Rita
1921 - Lake Zurich

So we picked up 200 students.

Hard to believe WWS at 2,399 was a 7A school. Guess volumes are down overall for the most part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT