ADVERTISEMENT

LWE AT GBW

On the serious side, if you’re coming to GW Saturday, map yourself in via Main St off Roosevelt. Main will dump you straight into the village and towards the school. Parking at the train lots leaves only a two block walk down to the field.

Park Blvd at Roosevelt is a complete clusterf@6k as the road is being rebuilt while not officially closing the road. The detour will wind you into nothing but headaches so best to just stay on Roosevelt until you go North on Main.

I’ve watched cars get brutalized driving through that work zone and hope everyone can avoid.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkinnyPorter
42-10 LWE
I'm not sure about a 32 point win - GBW scares me - only saw them once this year v York and that game took a turn when the York starting QB went out with an injury during their 2nd possession - not sure how much that impacted the final result. They hit hard - I know they take pride in that name (the Hitters). They have speed and can run with power! It will be a very tight game.
I have seen LWE 5X this year - we all know about them - may the best team win!!

On the serious side, if you’re coming to GW Saturday, map yourself in via Main St off Roosevelt. Main will dump you straight into the village and towards the school. Parking at the train lots leaves only a two block walk down to the field.

Park St at Roosevelt is a complete clusterf@6k as the road is being rebuilt while not officially closing the road. The detour will wind you into nothing but headaches so best to just stay on Roosevelt until you go North on Main.

I’ve watched cars get brutalized driving through that work zone and hope everyone can avoid.
Thanks Capn! Any good spots to pregame nearby?

42-10 LWE
I'm not sure about a 32 point win - GBW scares me - only saw them once this year v York and that game took a turn when the York starting QB went out with an injury during their 2nd possession - not sure how much that impacted the final result. They hit hard - I know they take pride in that name (the Hitters). They have speed and can run with power! It will be a very tight game.
I have seen LWE 5X this year - we all know about them - may the best team win!!
The good news is, we have a very capable back up QB.

Reactions: Magnum Opus
LWE dismantled everyone they played this year. The only games closer than 32 were the first two against good team in Crete and Naperville Central. They beat the brook by 31-0 and HF 48-6. GW is one dimensional and that doesn’t work against LWE.

The good news is, we have a very capable back up QB.
good to hear about the LWE backup - and btw, the York 2nd stringer was very capable - with just not getting the reps in practice that particular week and overall preparedness hurt him however - he eventually earned the starting spot

I love the Hitters! Great program. Great coaches and kids, but they are in for it this weekend. LWE is too big, too fast and too deep.

I love the Hitters! Great program. Great coaches and kids, but they are in for it this weekend. LWE is too big, too fast and too deep.

GW is built for old 7A version of LWE pre-merge. This LWE team is a monster and will bring waves I’m sure. The fun part is to see whether LWE decides to go right at GW’s D figuring they can wear them down. Loyola did that a few years ago and proved too much for GW. That team was pretty good, so we shall see.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverHelmets
Capt you must be watch Bones video of how to sandbag

The venerable calpreps predictor says 42-10 LWE. That’s not sandbagging. That is objective analysis.

I will take the 32 points and GW, but not due to any expert insights. I think Hetlet will come up with something to keep the game closer than five touchdowns, but bottom line is that LWE is too loaded.

Ellyn's, Shannon's or Maize + Mash. All great, Shannon's relatively small though. Ellyn's is not within walking distance, as a side note.

DO NOT DRIVE A DOMESTIC CAR INSIDE THE CITY LIMITS.

Maize & Mash is great, but will only confirm outsider’s perception of The Glen being pricey. Try the duck poutine and you may not be able to make it back over the tracks and down to the field.

Reactions: mchsalumni

Ellyn's, Shannon's or Maize + Mash. All great, Shannon's relatively small though. Ellyn's is not within walking distance, as a side note.

DO NOT DRIVE A DOMESTIC CAR INSIDE THE CITY LIMITS.

Maize & Mash is great, but will only confirm outsider’s perception of The Glen being pricey. Try the duck poutine and you may not be able to make it back over the tracks and down to the field.
Burgers and Beers for us!! Main St Pub it is.

I hope the Hitters can (keep it close) pull this off. Amazing experience at GBW-footballs past. The way it was meant to be played.

If it rains Saturday then how does LWE do on grass? I don’t think it matters but would this be a factor?

Game will be analogous to a little brother who is now 23 (LWE) coming home for thanksgiving and after some playful wrestling realizing he is stronger, bigger, and faster than his 26 y/o older brother (GBW) for the first time. Big bro holds a 2-0 advantage lifetime over little bro. Big brother will always hold a nonquantifiable psychological edge and level of confidence until he gets taken down by little bro like never before and realizes his edge is forever gone.
The LWE community in my opinion holds the GBW program in the highest level of esteem. For many years GBW was who many of us wanted to be. For us long time East fans GBW is the boogey man and Duchon field is Churchill Downs. This year however I think East makes the trip with a fearless group of top of class thoroughbreds that includes Secretariat and Man of War as part of the stable. Rain or shine, fast track or in the slop, the horses can still run.
28-17 LWE

Game will be analogous to a little brother who is now 23 (LWE) coming home for thanksgiving and after some playful wrestling realizing he is stronger, bigger, and faster than his 26 y/o older brother (GBW) for the first time. Big bro holds a 2-0 advantage lifetime over little bro. Big brother will always hold a nonquantifiable psychological edge and level of confidence until he gets taken down by little bro like never before and realizes his edge is forever gone.
The LWE community in my opinion holds the GBW program in the highest level of esteem. For many years GBW was who many of us wanted to be. For us long time East fans GBW is the boogey man and Duchon field is Churchill Downs. This year however I think East makes the trip with a fearless group of top of class thoroughbreds that includes Secretariat and Man of War as part of the stable. Rain or shine, fast track or in the slop, the horses can still run.
28-17 LWE
Love the analogies and agree wholeheartedly!

Too funny and real. 2010 and 2012 exist not to the current LWE team and the school is now the 18 year old pushing the boundaries of rules. Like the olde SNL skit and our Chicago Bears of long ago “The Bears 96 , Lions 14...halftime score” This has the makings of a great game either way. 2012 Champaign rematch a bunch earlier.

If it rains Saturday then how does LWE do on grass? I don’t think it matters but would this be a factor?
It won’t matter. Too big, too fast, too strong. The hitters have not been big enough to compete at the LOS in 8A at home the last two years. Loyola and Oswego have pushed them off the ball at Duchon. LWE will do the same. The grass will slow the hitters down as much as LWE. This is not the same massive front the hitters had 5-7 years ago.

I’m thinking the same thing. When I see the 7A field these last couple years - there are only a handful of teams that scare me. The other 26 teams are very easily beatable and not scary. When I look at 8A the past few years - there are 10-12 teams that scare me to death. 8A much deeper and much scarier.

With all due respect for GW. If LWE is who we think they are then I really believe it will be a +40 win.

Reactions: capnbillhitters
If LWE is who we think they
Yeah I think that's the question...How good is LWE? I have some lingering doubts after the Brook loss and HF only putting 21 on Fremd (I've seen Fremd and felt like a high caliber HF team should have Maine South'ed'em). I'm not doubting that LWE is the best team in the state, but again how good?

My other measure of comparison is the NC defense giving up 38 in week 2. Fairly confident GW defensively is more skilled and disciplined as whole defensively. Rodgers at mike backer is super fast, takes great angles, and tackles well. Metz is a ball hawk in the DB and great on run support (he's a 6'3 195lb safety who Hetlet has molded into something reminiscent of Hayden Carlson--- @capnbillhitters Is that a fair thing to say?).

At any rate, no doubt I'd take GW at +40.

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat
28-17 LWE

Well said but only clarification is little brother roided out while away at school ( by taking on 1,000 students/50 football players from LWN) so this is a different LWE than GW has previously played.

One thing I will say is big brother will lay everything out to maintain the family pecking order. Hetlet will have them playing out of their minds. Even if the score gets lopsided.

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat
Don’t forget you adopted out 1/3 of your family to Lincoln-Way Central because you could not afford to feed the kids and the dog. Kept the dog though for training purposes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT