ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s have some fun: Most overrated program each year is….

Yea probably because for many there are still vivid memories of those late 90s teams. Doesn't seem that long ago it was Kustok vs Paus. Sandburg was very good for a bit. Then like you said...kids are choosing other schools. Let's see what the new coach can do. They COULD be legit if all athletes go there.
Sandburg still manages to pull some athletes in wrestling and baseball. Certain girls sports seem to have taken a big hit in recent years, too.

I don’t believe Sandburg is overrated. I can’t remember the last time they were good. In the past 20 years when we’re they a threat to win the state title?

Ever since Driscoll closed I’ve thought their program has been over rated. Montini’s and IC’s success is always looped in Driscoll.

“Montini and IC are great now and are doing it with the Driscoll kids”.

“This program is good now because they have Driscoll coaches”

When Driscoll closed it’s doors, the team wasn’t as good as the previous teams.

a lot of you don't know the meaning of overrated.

Hinsdale Central
Naperville Central
NV
Fenwick

Come to mind.

Ever since Driscoll closed I’ve thought their program has been over rated. Montini’s and IC’s success is always looped in Driscoll.

“Montini and IC are great now and are doing it with the Driscoll kids”.

“This program is good now because they have Driscoll coaches”

When Driscoll closed it’s doors, the team wasn’t as good as the previous teams.

The team was not overrated but the coaches never scheduled higher enrollment tough non-con games. But during their run they always had the top 2 or 3 players (Turner, Schwabe, Tranchatella, Jenkins) in the conference as well were the toughest team mentally and pound for pound easily in the SCC. They also had a great weapon at kicker named Rick Albreski who would never miss a kick even going as far out as 58 yards.

That conference, the SCC has 2 or 3x more state titles then any other conference since year 2000. So that itself shows they were great teams.

Upon closing they still had some talent but lost to a new upcoming power Aurora Christian in which Chad Beebe now is playing for the Minnesota Vikings.

Last edited:
Reactions: colin2229
The team was not overrated but the coaches never scheduled higher enrollment tough non-con games. But during their run they always had the top 2 or 3 players (Turner, Schwabe, Tranchatella, Jenkins) in the conference as well were the toughest team mentally and pound for pound easily in the SCC. They also had a great weapon at kicker named Rick Albreski who would never miss a kick even going as far out as 58 yards.

That conference, the SCC has 2 or 3x more state titles then any other conference since year 2000. So that itself shows they were great teams.

Upon closing they still had some talent but lost to a new upcoming power Aurora Christian in which Chad Beebe now is playing for the Minnesota Vikings.
I always really liked the tradition that was Driscoll, but I really wish that they would have played better programs for their nonconference games. I argue with some colleagues all of the time that those Driscoll teams could’ve hung with some bigger schools. Too bad we will never really know.

They did have some really good players, but I also agree that they were pound for pound extremely tough kids.

Reactions: Wassup13
I always really liked the tradition that was Driscoll, but I really wish that they would have played better programs for their nonconference games. I argue with some colleagues all of the time that those Driscoll teams could’ve hung with some bigger schools. Too bad we will never really know.

They did have some really good players, but I also agree that they were pound for pound extremely tough kids.

After Greg Turner's senior year JCA came to Driscoll to play a 7 on 7 in the summer. It was a lot of fun to watch the two schools on the same field but in the back of my mind was why did not these 2 teams schedule a non-con game in the past?

Another time both Driscoll and Addison Trail were playing a playoff game at the same time. For those of you who do not know the two schools are right next door to each other. Driscoll was blowing out their opponent and Providence beat Addison Trail bad right next door. All I could think about during the game was how great it would be if Providence was playing at Driscoll that day.

I'm sure Driscoll could compete with the larger schools but sometimes you just have to play them first before learning how to beat them.

Last edited:
After Greg Turner's senior year JCA came to Driscoll to play a 7 on 7 in the summer. It was a lot of fun to watch the two schools on the same field but in the back of my mind was why did not these 2 teams schedule a non-con game in the past?

Another time both Driscoll and Addison Trail were playing a playoff game at the same time. For those of you who do not know the two schools are right next door to each other. Driscoll was blowing out their opponent and Providence beat Addison Trail bad right next door. All I could think about during the game was how great it would be if Providence was playing at Driscoll that day.

I'm sure Driscoll could compete with the larger schools but sometimes you just have to play them first before learning how to beat them.
Makes me think about how many games could be played simultaneously at Joliet's Motor Speedway....even the drag racing venue could have a sod or field turf bed rolled.

I think it would be fair to slap the overrated label on them in the 2009 to 2015 range than now. They were very good then and capable of winning a title each year. From 2009 to 2013 is a five year stretch where they were quite literally one or two plays away from likely winning a state title or being in the mix in four games against Montini and one against richwoods. Always ranked very high and not being able to finish fits the bill of overrated. And the talent on those teams was off the charts. Similar in 2015.

2016 through now I think they are rated fairly. Rough 16 and 17 campaigns. Won a title in 18. Solid team in 19 dropped a disappointing quarterfinal game. But overall rated fairly because they aren’t really mentioned in the running of one of the states 5 to 10 best in general. Just a pretty decent team for their class who has the potential to win it all, which I think is fair.

Expectations for 2021 are higher than they have been the last 5 to 7 years. So if they come up with an early playoff exit this year, then yes they would have entered the season overrated.

But I don’t think we have seen these pre season expectation and ratings in at least a half decade. So it’s hard to say they were overrated when they weren’t really on many radars the last 5 to 7 years, even in their title season.

Now from 2009 to 2015 they were on everyone’s radar and delivered zero titles, so that was the stretch where I think the overrated or unfortunate or whatever you want to call it label could apply.
A fair and objective assessment

Half of my hometown's still hangin' around
Still talkin' about that one touchdown
They're still wearin' red and black
Go Bobcats, while the other half
Of my hometown, they all got out
Some went north, some went south
Still lookin' for a feelin' half of us ain't found

Even Kelsea Ballerini is on the red and black theory.

Another just popped into my head. No a program that is overrated, but a program that should be better is Lake Park. Really solid program in the 90s and the early portion of the 00s with their best team being 2003. I'm sure @LPCoachDB could argue that though. Only 3 playoff apparently since 2003 for a school that size in nearly 20 years is underachieving.

Another just popped into my head. No a program that is overrated, but a program that should be better is Lake Park. Really solid program in the 90s and the early portion of the 00s with their best team being 2003. I'm sure @LPCoachDB could argue that though. Only 3 playoff apparently since 2003 for a school that size in nearly 20 years is underachieving.

As a member of the Lake Park community the issue is not that we are a large school (IHSA has us our enrollment at 2,593) and should be achieving more, but that our other boys sports are excelling in State Playoffs & football cannot even qualify. Boys track won 4 straight State Championships in 2010, 11, 12 & 2013, and took second in State in 2014. Boys baseball had a 2nd place finish in State in 2021 & a 3rd place finish in 2018. Boys VB took 2nd in State in 2021, 3rd in 2017, and 4th in 2014. Boys soccer took 3rd in State in 2014. This winter either the Tribune or Sun-Times did a piece on the winningest basketball programs in the past decade and LP was listed.
It is not as if we do not have talent on the gridiron; one former player is in the Carolinas Panthers camp, one is playing for Oklahoma, one for Michigan State, as well as many others.
So yes, we have been underachieving. New football coach (Kradman for Maine West) will hopefully turn things around for us!

Of course I’m going to say Huntley. The Kramer of the FVC dojo.
Huntley needs to get out of the FVC if they ever want to do anything in the playoffs, Playing in a closed conference with most of the schools smaller than them is doing nothing but padding their regular season records. They need to get into a 8A conference if they every want to do anything in the playoffs.

Reactions: Anomalyout28
Hersey did the win the 6A championship in 87
Yes and I had long brown hair and viewable abs back then! I am thinking more over last 15-20 years as Prospect also had a great run in early 2000s but what have you done for me lately.

Hinsdale Central

Hinsdale Central, hands down

Hinsdale Central,

Hinsdale Central

And right on cue, Mike O'Brien has Hinsdale Central at No. 8 in the Sun-Times preseason ranking. Mike O'Brien, though, is far from infallible. Yesterday he claimed that JCA has won 14 state football titles, which is verifiably untrue. 13 is good, 13 is outstanding, but 13 isn't 14.

Last edited:
The worst. Is he just pandering to his readership? Wheaton North? HC? I don’t even need to watch these teams to know they will not accomplish anything in the playoffs.

Last edited:
The worst. Is he just pandering to his readership? Wheaton North? HC? I don’t even need to watch these teams to know they will not accomplish anything in the playoffs.

Did you see Wheaton North last year? I guess @EdgyTim is pandering to with his ranking of them right? They have two loaded classes and return a ton of starters from last years team that went 5-1. If you don’t think they are top 10 team you are crazy.

Reactions: Googertys Dog
Did you see Wheaton North last year? I guess @EdgyTim is pandering to with his ranking of them right? They have two loaded classes and return a ton of starters from last years team that went 5-1. If you don’t think they are top 10 team you are crazy.
Meh. He’s got them 5th in 7A behind all my CCLB boys. Good luck to North. Again, they won’t accomplish anything in the playoffs. They aren’t even a top 20 team. Go 9-0 or 8-1 and lose in the 2nd round. Guaranteed. That’s top 10 worthy? Yikes. Let’s just rank everyone in the Top 10. Garbage.

Last edited:
Meh. He’s got them 5th in 7A behind all my CCLB boys. Good luck to North. Again, they won’t accomplish anything in the playoffs. They aren’t even a top 20 team. Go 9-0 or 8-1 and lose in the 2nd round. Guaranteed. That’s top 10 worthy? Yikes. Let’s just rank everyone in the Top 10. Garbage.
What are the top 20?

Ah, but they’ll be in the playoffs every year.

I will say with confidence, HC’s goal every year is to be conference Champion, and State Champion. Do they reach the goal every year? No. But that is the attitude and culture for HC Football.

They do get a lot of kids every year to try lay at the next level - partly because universities know they’ll likely graduate. So don’t knock the kids who are going out every week, playing the team in front of them, and giving that team everything HC brings.

I wouldn't sleep on the Falcons this year..

As far as overrated, I would say most Naperville schools..

Ah, but they’ll be in the playoffs every year.

I will say with confidence, HC’s goal every year is to be conference Champion, and State Champion. Do they reach the goal every year? No. But that is the attitude and culture for HC Football.

They do get a lot of kids every year to try lay at the next level - partly because universities know they’ll likely graduate. So don’t knock the kids who are going out every week, playing the team in front of them, and giving that team everything HC brings.
Will someone please think of the children?!?!?

And right on cue, Mike O'Brien has Hinsdale Central at No. 8 in the Sun-Times preseason ranking. Mike O'Brien, though, is far from infallible. Yesterday he claimed that JCA has won 14 state football titles, which is verifiably untrue. 13 is good, 13 is outstanding, but 13 isn't 14.
JCA does in fact have 14 state football titles.

• Haha
Reactions: ClownBaby
13 is not 14 but 14 is 14:

TitleYearClassHead Coach
119754AGillespie
219764AGillespie
319774AGillespie
419784AGillespie
519815AGillespie
619875ABoyter
719904AStone
819994ASharp
920004ASharp
1020015ASharp
1120035ASharp
1220045ASharp
1320076ASharp
1420185AJaworski

As a member of the Lake Park community the issue is not that we are a large school (IHSA has us our enrollment at 2,593) and should be achieving more, but that our other boys sports are excelling in State Playoffs & football cannot even qualify. Boys track won 4 straight State Championships in 2010, 11, 12 & 2013, and took second in State in 2014. Boys baseball had a 2nd place finish in State in 2021 & a 3rd place finish in 2018. Boys VB took 2nd in State in 2021, 3rd in 2017, and 4th in 2014. Boys soccer took 3rd in State in 2014. This winter either the Tribune or Sun-Times did a piece on the winningest basketball programs in the past decade and LP was listed.
It is not as if we do not have talent on the gridiron; one former player is in the Carolinas Panthers camp, one is playing for Oklahoma, one for Michigan State, as well as many others.
So yes, we have been underachieving. New football coach (Kradman for Maine West) will hopefully turn things around for us!
Don't beat yourself up because Lake Park has had to play in a very tough football conference the last 15 years. Not the easiest place to go even 7-2.

A few schools over the past 10 years IMO that haven't lived up to expectations or just maybe caught a bad bread in the playoffs include Hinsdale Central, HF and Huntley.

Not understanding the reasoning here. I am no HC apologist, as a matter of fact we should eat them. But if they dont win 8A they were overrated at #8? Even if there are 8A teams ranked higher than them? Can someone explain it?

Not understanding the reasoning here. I am no HC apologist, as a matter of fact we should eat them. But if they dont win 8A they were overrated at #8? Even if there are 8A teams ranked higher than them? Can someone explain it?
i think the criticism isn’t that they haven’t won a title, it’s the fact that they have not advanced beyond the second round in each of their last 9 playoff appearances.

i think the criticism isn’t that they haven’t won a title, it’s the fact that they have not advanced beyond the second round in each of their last 9 playoff appearances.
Outside of a loss to Sandburg, who everyone here thinks should be champs every year somehow, I don't see them losing to any bad programs in the post season. Sure, you'd like to see more deep runs, but each and every one of those games they lost is a pick em by name or they were the dogs.

Reactions: corey90
Outside of a loss to Sandburg, who everyone here thinks should be champs every year somehow, I don't see them losing to any bad programs in the post season. Sure, you'd like to see more deep runs, but each and every one of those games they lost is a pick em by name or they were the dogs.
Although I never thought Sandburg should be a champ! Hahaha
Bones I believe your Raiders will put up a fight against Minooka, keep the faith. 👍

Reactions: Cross Bones
Although I never thought Sandburg should be a champ! Hahaha
Bones I believe your Raiders will put up a fight against Minooka, keep the faith. 👍
Yeah, I don't think anyone inside the conference does. But we've seen plenty discussions here about how Sandburg should be in the semi's at a minimum every year, somehow. Of all the lunacy I see here that is probably the most inexplicable.

zz
But the fact remains that they have not advanced in the playoffs. Every year they finish the regular season ranked pretty high and then fold in the playoffs.

But the fact remains that they have not advanced in the playoffs. Every year they finish the regular season ranked pretty high and then fold in the playoffs.
But still pretty high on overall 8A wins. That tells me there's a lot of parity outside of the top 3. So, who should be there instead? For example, I just looked at Edgy's top 30. SCN is above us......again. SCN will probably go farther than we go in the playoffs (if we make the playoffs). Are they better though?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT