ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s have some fun: Most overrated program each year is….

Springfield is the biggest school in the CS8, with an enrollment of 1,449. I wouldn’t say they are overrated, but I do think they have underachieved. On the positive side, they improved from 5-5 in 2017, to 6-4 in 2018, and 7-3 in 2019. Rashad Rochelle, who has committed to Rutgers, is returning this fall for his 4th year as starting QB. He is very talented but can’t win games against the better teams single handedly.

On the negative side, Springfield has lost in the 1st round of the 6A playoffs 3 years in a row. Their closest loss was by 15 points. Despite their large enrollment advantage over every school except Chatham, Springfield has struggled to field Freshman teams recently and only dressed 30 or so players for the Varsity games this spring. When Rochelle graduates, Springfield could fall back to being a 3-5 win team, rather than challenging SHG, Rochester, and Chatham for the conference championship.

Rich Central had a few seasons in the recent past when they were touted highly early on. They never seemed able to solve Crete-Monee in their league and had some early outs in the playoffs.

Rich Central is no longer with us.

Reactions: mullin17
Rashad Rochelle, who has committed to Rutgers, is returning this fall for his 4th year as starting QB. He is very talented but can’t win games against the better teams single handedly.

He is 2-1 vs SHG. Though this year didn't go very well.

He is 2-1 vs SHG. Though this year didn't go very well.
True. Springfield hadn’t beat SHG since 1999 before 2018-19. I was shocked to see him playing DB as well for most of the game against Chatham this spring. I can’t remember the last time I saw an elite QB also playing full-time on Defense.

After the 83-12 SHG win in April, I am very interested in the fall Week 4 SHG-Springfield game.

Reactions: Gene K.
Without question any team from the mid suburban . I say that having played for Hersey in the mid eighties, but every year they have a couple teams that roll through the season unblemished only to crap the bed in the 2nd round. Yes I am talking to you Barrington, Hersey and others
Okay. So A conference that has had a semifinalist in 5 of the last 6 seasons is overrated? Cmon. Do some research before speaking nonsense.

Springfield is the biggest school in the CS8, with an enrollment of 1,449. I wouldn’t say they are overrated, but I do think they have underachieved. On the positive side, they improved from 5-5 in 2017, to 6-4 in 2018, and 7-3 in 2019. Rashad Rochelle, who has committed to Rutgers, is returning this fall for his 4th year as starting QB. He is very talented but can’t win games against the better teams single handedly.

On the negative side, Springfield has lost in the 1st round of the 6A playoffs 3 years in a row. Their closest loss was by 15 points. Despite their large enrollment advantage over every school except Chatham, Springfield has struggled to field Freshman teams recently and only dressed 30 or so players for the Varsity games this spring. When Rochelle graduates, Springfield could fall back to being a 3-5 win team, rather than challenging SHG, Rochester, and Chatham for the conference championship.
FYI this isn't the underachieve thread....and I also disagree on several levels....I think actually Springfield has done a pretty good job of hanging with several of the CS8 power programs and have gotten maybe more from it's limited talent base than pretty much anyone else not named SHG or Rochester.

Reactions: mullin17
A few big boys that kind of never really deliver in my opinion are Lyons Twp, Hinsdale Central, New Trier, and Sandburg. Huge enrollments and they should be competing for state regularly.

FYI this isn't the underachieve thread....and I also disagree on several levels....I think actually Springfield has done a pretty good job of hanging with several of the CS8 power programs and have gotten maybe more from it's limited talent base than pretty anyone else not named SHG or Rochester.
Piggy backing on that point, since they're part of the CS8. The Peoria teams, Central and Notre Dame, have been very good for a limited talent base too.

I’ll get killed for this but I’ll say Joliet catholic. Look at their record over the past 10 years. One title(5a) and over the last few years some downright bad teams.

I’ll get killed for this but I’ll say Joliet catholic. Look at their record over the past 10 years. One title(5a) and over the last few years some downright bad teams.
And if Ty Gavin plays in that last regular season game, they don’t win the last one.

FYI this isn't the underachieve thread....and I also disagree on several levels....I think actually Springfield has done a pretty good job of hanging with several of the CS8 power programs and have gotten maybe more from it's limited talent base than pretty much anyone else not named SHG or Rochester.

True. Springfield hadn’t beat SHG since 1999 before 2018-19. I was shocked to see him playing DB as well for most of the game against Chatham this spring. I can’t remember the last time I saw an elite QB also playing full-time on Defense.

After the 83-12 SHG win in April, I am very interested in the fall Week 4 SHG-Springfield game.

All.... They will be out for blood. Don't believe they will pull their star qb and rb out of the game right before half time ever again. Regardless of what the score is at that time. Senator fans I know were irate. Even more when an "explanation" was given why.... Ratsy

I think it would be fair to slap the overrated label on them in the 2009 to 2015 range than now. They were very good then and capable of winning a title each year. From 2009 to 2013 is a five year stretch where they were quite literally one or two plays away from likely winning a state title or being in the mix in four games against Montini and one against richwoods. Always ranked very high and not being able to finish fits the bill of overrated. And the talent on those teams was off the charts. Similar in 2015.

2016 through now I think they are rated fairly. Rough 16 and 17 campaigns. Won a title in 18. Solid team in 19 dropped a disappointing quarterfinal game. But overall rated fairly because they aren’t really mentioned in the running of one of the states 5 to 10 best in general. Just a pretty decent team for their class who has the potential to win it all, which I think is fair.

Expectations for 2021 are higher than they have been the last 5 to 7 years. So if they come up with an early playoff exit this year, then yes they would have entered the season overrated.

But I don’t think we have seen these pre season expectation and ratings in at least a half decade. So it’s hard to say they were overrated when they weren’t really on many radars the last 5 to 7 years, even in their title season.

Now from 2009 to 2015 they were on everyone’s radar and delivered zero titles, so that was the stretch where I think the overrated or unfortunate or whatever you want to call it label could apply.

I think it would be fair to slap the overrated label on them in the 2009 to 2015 range than now. They were very good then and capable of winning a title each year. From 2009 to 2013 is a five year stretch where they were quite literally one or two plays away from likely winning a state title or being in the mix in four games against Montini and one against richwoods. Always ranked very high and not being able to finish fits the bill of overrated. And the talent on those teams was off the charts. Similar in 2015.

2016 through now I think they are rated fairly. Rough 16 and 17 campaigns. Won a title in 18. Solid team in 19 dropped a disappointing quarterfinal game. But overall rated fairly because they aren’t really mentioned in the running of one of the states 5 to 10 best in general. Just a pretty decent team for their class who has the potential to win it all, which I think is fair.

Expectations for 2021 are higher than they have been the last 5 to 7 years. So if they come up with an early playoff exit this year, then yes they would have entered the season overrated.

But I don’t think we have seen these pre season expectation and ratings in at least a half decade. So it’s hard to say they were overrated when they weren’t really on many radars the last 5 to 7 years, even in their title season.

Now from 2009 to 2015 they were on everyone’s radar and delivered zero titles, so that was the stretch where I think the overrated or unfortunate or whatever you want to call it label could apply.
Question: I honestly don't know the answer to this.
How many of those teams you mentioned had players from the defense go on and have success playing in college?
I know there were some offensive players-Ferguson, Butler, Isaac (limited), Jones (not so much) and I'm sure there are more. But I don't recall many on the defensive side.

Question: I honestly don't know the answer to this.
How many of those teams you mentioned had players from the defense go on and have success playing in college?
I know there were some offensive players-Ferguson, Butler, Isaac (limited), Jones (not so much) and I'm sure there are more. But I don't recall many on the defensive side.
2009 had LB stockman to Buffalo.
2010 had LB Elliott to UNO and then St. Cloud when they dropped football
2011 had Jones who played a lot of safety but was an offensive recruit.
2012 senior class had like 8 football players on the roster.
2013 had butler who played a ton of d line but more of a offensive kid at college level.

2015 had Aguirre to wmu and furcron/Witt shared time at one dt spot. I believe LB krisch started his career at Air Force but not sure if he finished there.

Several I am missing I’m sure. I know there were probably 1 or 2 more d1 guys and a ton of lower division players like rotnicki to Chicago and tucker to USF. Can’t speak to the success most of them had as i struggle to keep up. I just know where they wound up.

Definitely more defensive talent in the building the last few years. You could say part of that was selection by the staff to use the most talent in offensive positions about a decade ago. But kids like Isaac and Ferguson were not going to be big time defensive standouts/recruits. Could Ferguson have helped at corner in 2010 the same way Jones did at safety in 2011? I think so, but I also don’t think that changes the trajectory of the program or outcomes of those seasons. The Witt/furcron combo at d line was effective and yet, both of those guys were really only looked at as offensive like players in college.

It’s been nice to see the last few years with a few d1 db recruits and this year a lb/s to the Illini. But those types of talent just weren’t in the building 10 years ago. It’s not like they were stacking those kids on the offensive side of the ball and ignoring their defensive potential. Isaac was a glider and, while phenomenal on offense, would have been marginally effective in a defensive role.

Will be curious to see if Anderson is used at lb/dl at all this year. If he is, I don’t think it will be much and, like previous rb’s, I’m not sure if that would even pay dividends, but I’m just curious if guys like him and iannantone may be used sparingly on defense like Mack was this last year.

Last edited:
Palatine?

In 2015 as a 13-seed, they beat 4th-seeded Oak Park and 5th-seeded Brother Rice. They then give Loyola everything the Ramblers can handle and lose 24-22 in the semi's. Loyola, stays undefeated and blasts Marist 41-0 in the state title game.

in 2016, Palatine is rolling along until Oles gets hurt against ND in the first round of the playoffs. They still manage to make it to the semi's where they lose to Maine South 28-14. The Hawks go on to beat Loyola for the title. I'll contend to the day I die, that if Oles doesn't break his shoulder, Palatine wins 8A that year.

The next two years should be telling - especially fall of 2022. They have an absolute TON of talent in house, question is if they can put it all together.

They ought to be as good as 2015 & 2016 the next two years, but we'll see. This past spring they put up 40+ in 3 out of 6 games, but then their defense goes to sleep in a couple of games and they wind up 4-2.

FWIW, I wish Splitt were still the HC....

Theyve never made it past the quarterfinals either way
Didn’t that ‘92 team with Lezowski make it to the semi’s? It’s a shame, lots of talent through the years (Poorman, Shwantz, Sponsel, Matty Panzino, Pat Brown, etc.). Bunch of fantastic football players, but no state championships.

Didn’t that ‘92 team with Lezowski make it to the semi’s? It’s a shame, lots of talent through the years (Poorman, Shwantz, Sponsel, Matty Panzino, Pat Brown, etc.). Bunch of fantastic football players, but no state championships.
Not unless the brackets/season were different. They were 10-1. Lost to Conant in the second round

York. Large enrollment with plenty of size and talent each year. But for some reason the Dukes haven't been able to put together sustained success over the years. TBH, York should be challenging Glenbard West every season. Perhaps it's coaching? Have heard some good and bad things about Fitzgerald.

Woodstock Marian Catholic. They have had so many great players over the years and never make any noise in the playoffs for the past 10+ years. Really feel like Marian shiuld be a Montini caliber program.

Reactions: Gene K.
Woodstock Marian Catholic. They have had so many great players over the years and never make any noise in the playoffs for the past 10+ years. Really feel like Marian shiuld be a Montini caliber program.
That’s a tough one. They’ve had some great players but fielding a team of great players is getting tougher as more schools in McHenry County are building successful programs and less kids are being drawn to MC. A private school in a rural setting has to be a challenge. I also think they need to be rated to be considered overrated.

Last edited:
That’s a tough one. They’ve had some great players but fielding a team of great players is getting tougher as more schools in McHenry County are building successful programs and less kids are being drawn to MC. A private school in a rural setting has to be a challenge. I also think they need to be rated to be considered overrated.

good point. Underachieved would be more appropriate for them.

It has to be Sandburg.
The players and fans constantly spout off "Elite"
Elevated expectations, little results do not constitute "Elite"

They have not produced in 25 years since Mike Navarro.

Reactions: OLcoach65
It has to be Sandburg.

In some ways, though, they seem to be owning their shortcomings in football. Neither coaches in newspapers or forum contributors here seem to be popping off about anything nor making any excuses. I know it is only one factor, but in their division of the SWSC, the Sandburg facilities pale in comparison to LWE, H-F, Lockport and Brook. That place is strange in many ways and it will be interesting to see what McAllister can achieve. Maybe no one short of alum Pat Fitzgerald could perform a resurrection?

It has to be Sandburg.

If this was the 1998 edgytim.com I would agree. No one has viewed Sandburg as good in atleast 15 years.

Reactions: Cross Bones
If this was the 1998 edgytim.com I would agree. No one has viewed Sandburg as good in atleast 15 years.
I never understood the board's obsession with the idea that Sandburg should be a football power. It truly leaves me befuddled. Especially when they go into the "they should be in the semifinals every year" completely ignoring that they've said that about 16 different schools in the same class. I mean it's academic at that point.

I never understood the board's obsession with the idea that Sandburg should be a football power. It truly leaves me befuddled. Especially when they go into the "they should be in the semifinals every year" completely ignoring that they've said that about 16 different schools in the same class. I mean it's academic at that point.
Probably because Marist and Providence are filled with potential Sandburg students. Before everyone moved to Mokena and Frankfort from the South side, it was Orland in the 80s and 90s.

Another just popped into my head. No a program that is overrated, but a program that should be better is Lake Park. Really solid program in the 90s and the early portion of the 00s with their best team being 2003. I'm sure @LPCoachDB could argue that though. Only 3 playoff apparently since 2003 for a school that size in nearly 20 years is underachieving.

Reactions: Bobs2nd
Probably because Marist and Providence are filled with potential Sandburg students. Before everyone moved to Mokena and Frankfort from the South side, it was Orland in the 80s and 90s.
Yea probably because for many there are still vivid memories of those late 90s teams. Doesn't seem that long ago it was Kustok vs Paus. Sandburg was very good for a bit. Then like you said...kids are choosing other schools. Let's see what the new coach can do. They COULD be legit if all athletes go there.

Yea probably because for many there are still vivid memories of those late 90s teams. Doesn't seem that long ago it was Kustok vs Paus. Sandburg was very good for a bit. Then like you said...kids are choosing other schools. Let's see what the new coach can do. They COULD be legit if all athletes go there.
They were solid. They weren't a threat to win it all under any circumstance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT