ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s have some fun: Most overrated program each year is….

It’s a tough question because it changes every year....But based off the level of talent they have each year, with a roster of multiple D1 recruits, I would say HF should have more success in the State playoffs then they’ve been having. You could make a similar case for Bolingbrook.

I was going to say Fenwick, we’ve all read about their 4 D1 players on offense...then I realized the other 7 players are not D1 and I haven’t heard anything about their defense which appears to be pretty generous at letting up points.

id like to see thoughts on the opposite of this….what team(s) seem to be underrated/disrespectEd the most yet perform well well I’m their class?

id like to see thoughts on the opposite of this….what team(s) seem to be underrated/disrespectEd the most yet perform well well I’m their class?
LW West, a few years ago when they were down in 5A before LW North closed, had some playoff advancements that were not necessarily foreseen, as I recall. Hillcrest, too, before it was discovered that RB Irving was the real deal as a high school runner.

LW West, a few years ago when they were down in 5A before LW North closed, had some playoff advancements that were not necessarily foreseen, as I recall. Hillcrest, too, before it was discovered that RB Irving was the real deal as a high school runner.
I saw one of the 5A LW West teams in person, certainly didn’t look like they belonged in 5A

Reactions: zimmwr8015
Speak your mind but also be respectful…

edgy:

Without question, New Trier.

Every year we hear about NT's greatness. Every preseason NT is treated with soft-focus profiles or otherwise overflattering coverage in the newspapers and magazines about how this is "NT's year," and the abundance of Division I players filling its roster.

Then the Trevians play MS, and when the team emerges from the rubble of getting pummeled by the Hawks, the pathetic excuses and explanations start.

x2 for both of these. For all the hype Fenwick and their stable of Div 1 recruits get, they sure don't play up to it. Same with Nap Central - tons of media hype, dream teams, etc. Not seeing it on the field. Also, could never figure out how a school that big lacked the big boys on the line.

Didn't NC go undefeated last year (Not including the forefeits) and beat a Top 5 Maine South team?

1. Naperville Central
2. Bolingbrook
3. NV
4. Naz (No JJ, not close to as good)
5. Fenwick

To be fair, I don't think The Brook has been rated high recently at all. And when they are I tell you guys they shouldn't be. Then you guys say I'm sandbagging. But let me be clear if you're a public school in a class below 8A and you're not a list of schools I could count on less than ten fingers they'd beat you.

HF has been legit. That list of schools would be cut in half for the Vikings.

To be fair, I don't think The Brook has been rated high recently at all. And when they are I tell you guys they shouldn't be. Then you guys say I'm sandbagging. But let me be clear if you're a public school in a class below 8A and you're not a list of schools I could count on less than ten fingers they'd beat you.

HF has been legit. That list of schools would be cut in half for the Vikings.
They may be legit, but they have yet to win a big game. They are always ranked high, but dont finish.

Without question any team from the mid suburban . I say that having played for Hersey in the mid eighties, but every year they have a couple teams that roll through the season unblemished only to crap the bed in the 2nd round. Yes I am talking to you Barrington, Hersey and others

Reactions: Bowie50
Without question any team from the mid suburban . I say that having played for Hersey in the mid eighties, but every year they have a couple teams that roll through the season unblemished only to crap the bed in the 2nd round. Yes I am talking to you Barrington, Hersey and others
Hersey did the win the 6A championship in 87

edgy:

Without question, New Trier.

Every year we hear about NT's greatness. Every preseason NT is treated with soft-focus profiles or otherwise overflattering coverage in the newspapers and magazines about how this is "NT's year," and the abundance of Division I players filling its roster.

Then the Trevians play MS, and when the team emerges from the rubble of getting pummeled by the Hawks, the pathetic excuses and explanations start.
Yeah, like “it started raining at halftime.” Coach Doll

Last edited:
Palatine?

In 2015 as a 13-seed, they beat 4th-seeded Oak Park and 5th-seeded Brother Rice. They then give Loyola everything the Ramblers can handle and lose 24-22 in the semi's. Loyola, stays undefeated and blasts Marist 41-0 in the state title game.

in 2016, Palatine is rolling along until Oles gets hurt against ND in the first round of the playoffs. They still manage to make it to the semi's where they lose to Maine South 28-14. The Hawks go on to beat Loyola for the title. I'll contend to the day I die, that if Oles doesn't break his shoulder, Palatine wins 8A that year.

Reactions: eagles2k3
They may be legit, but they have yet to win a big game. They are always ranked high, but dont finish.
They went to the championship in 2014. In that run they beat NV, Edwardsville, Brook, and Simeon before losing to an also legit Stevie for the 2nd time that season. Edwardsville beat ESL that year and lost by a single point in OT to Loyola. Simeon thrashed Hinsdale Central and beat Naperville Central.

2015 they were also legit. In the Qtr finals they lost to an also legit Loyola in a classic game where Loyola literally had to drive 99 yards in the 4th quarter to score the winning TD and HF nearly came back and won in mere seconds. I'm sure any Loyola supporter here will vouch for that HF team. They manhandled everyone on their schedule including LWE until we pulled off the upset in week 9. And they continued demolishing everyone until Loyola.

I guess I have more respect for the field. There's more than one big game in that class.

Rich Central had a few seasons in the recent past when they were touted highly early on. They never seemed able to solve Crete-Monee in their league and had some early outs in the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT