ADVERTISEMENT

ICE Finals

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
Athens vs. Wilmington - Some predicted the Cats to be here (if not win it), some did not. Time to see if they capitalize on their 4th trip to the state finals. I think Wilmo has every opportunity to win this game as long as they don't self implode. Athens lost by a score the Maroa in week 9, but as we know teams evolve over the playoffs and hit their stride. Wilmington has had their ground game rolling and I don't anticipate it slowing down. I don't think Wilmo dominates like some are calling for, but I do think it's a comfy win. Wilmo 35 Athens 20

Reactions: Alexander32
Athens is good and should not be overlooked, even though the general consensus seems to have Wilmo as clear favorites.
I saw a bit of Athens on hudl. Athens runs double wing, but not with the packed in concepts that Wilmo uses. It looks like Athens will rarely pass, just a little bit more than never. The fullback has the bulk of the carries with 1600 yds. Their main wingback has over 1800 yds on 10+ ypc.
I don’t have a good feel on their defense. The thing will be whether they can get stops and get the ball back. It should be noted that Athens beat Olympia in a low scoring slugfest. Olympia is the one good run first/wing team in the Sangamo, although I don’t think they do it as well as Wilmo does.
As long as Wilmo isn’t making a ton of mistakes, I think they will be able to move the ball. I like Wilmo’s chances.

Reactions: rocketnation
Let me put it this way. Wilmington is by far the better team and Reents teams do not self destruct or beat themselves. When was the last time they fumbled the football? How often does a stupid penalty kill a drive? How often does a coaching miscue almost cost them a game? Purple Reign in 2A on Friday. WILMINGTON 49 Athens 12

Let me put it this way. Wilmington is by far the better team and Reents teams do not self destruct or beat themselves. When was the last time they fumbled the football? How often does a stupid penalty kill a drive? How often does a coaching miscue almost cost them a game? Purple Reign in 2A on Friday. WILMINGTON 49 Athens 12
It would be awesome if they put up 49, but given the nature of both teams, I’ll say they win going away, something like 35-14.

Reactions: McEvergreen
2A and 3A will have the biggest blowouts of the weekend. Wimo wins big and with out much issue. Cats 45 Warriors 7

Outside of a few blowouts, mostly featuring IC, the 3A game has traditionally had some really great, down to the wire games.
Yes it has.

Wilmington in '14 - last second field goal
Monticello in '18 - used some trickery to upset Byron
Williamsville and Byron in '19 could be the best one ever.

Not surprised to see both of these teams in the finals. Athens had a favorable draw but were able to defeat a really good Nashville team. Wilmington got past the teams (TV and Seneca) that gave them a 2 game losing streak and beat MF in dominating fashion. Athens lost to Mf by 7 points in a game that really could have gone either way.

Both teams are mirror images of each other and no stranger to big time games. Hopefully the IHSA has some extra Country Companies commercial and more of the Xmas light fixing tool because there will be plenty time until the 3A game as this one will be just over half of the 3 hour allotted time. Wilmington 31 Athens 20

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT