ADVERTISEMENT

Option Football LOVERS.... and haters

Hernandez03

Silver Member
Aug 30, 2023
Whats up yall. Option football fan and been thinking about the great option teams in Illinois history what are some of your favorites? Split back veer , wing t , flexbone? What are some schools / coaches you love and remember? (or hated watching your team play against haha)

Ty Isaac at JCA

Older Mt. C

Cary Grove

Prairie Ridge

few I love rewatching

Reactions: Silver Rain
Whats up yall. Option football fan and been thinking about the great option teams in Illinois history what are some of your favorites? Split back veer , wing t , flexbone? What are some schools / coaches you love and remember? (or hated watching your team play against haha)

Ty Isaac at JCA

Older Mt. C

Cary Grove

Prairie Ridge

few I love rewatching
Wilmington

Reactions: forlouann
Wilmington
Wilmington runs almost zero “option” plays, but 99.8% of their plays are double TE double wing with almost no splits between the linemen.
Byron and Lena are also phenomenal at the ground and pound. Those 3 are probably tops among the small schools.

Seneca will probably take a step back next year with graduation losses, but they ran the old school T offense last year as good as I’ve seen it run.

Reactions: Hernandez03
Although not producing deep playoff advancements, Oak Forest racked up a decent stretch of 7 or 8 wins every regular season under 2 different head coaches, Gene Johnston and Brian McDonough, over close to 2 decades on both sides of the millennium. They ran a flexbone triple-option attack from the mold of Georgia Southern teams during those years.

It must be understood, as was stated above, that simply going double tight with 2 wingbacks and a fullback does not make a team an option team. What they run from that does or does not. Wilmington and JC have run wing t and double wing formations for decades and hardly ever run an option play. In fact, in the last 30 years, I can remember JC running one option play and that was a fake punt where both the up man and punter were running backs.

As for the true triple option, Mark Venegoni ran it as well as anyone I have ever seen at CoM in 2003. As for the veer, watching 90s/2000s Concord, CA DeLaSalle was like watching a machine. MC ran it well for decades. I believe DGN ran it all the way to an 8A title in 2004. In more recent vintage, C-G and PR seem to run the triple option to near perfection.

Ignatius has done a good job using the option to neutralize talent deficits in the CCL/ESCC in recent years, though as those talent gaps disappear it will be interesting to see if they change schemes. Always loved seeing Geneseo and Metamora running their options as well.

Wilmington runs almost zero “option” plays, but 99.8% of their plays are double TE double wing with almost no splits between the linemen.
Byron and Lena are also phenomenal at the ground and pound. Those 3 are probably tops among the small schools.

Seneca will probably take a step back next year with graduation losses, but they ran the old school T offense last year as good as I’ve seen it run.
I respect the hell out of Reents and the Wilmo program but….. can you open it up a little on offense please?

I know, it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

I know I’m not following the rules here…I vote for Oklahoma with the tear off jerseys.
Let's add in Darrell Royal's Texas Longhorns who joined the Sooners in the early '70s putting on a full-wishbone clinic during the annual Red River Rivalry game from the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. OU actually installed the 'bone in 1970 during a bye week just before playing UT, but lost before going on a run the rest of the season. Royal (OK alum) gave his OC permission to school HC Chuck Fairbanks and OC Barry Switzer in the offense! Then in '71 the Sooners went undefeated until the T-giving Day loss to unblemished Nebraska in Game of the Century II.

Andriano at Montini was a split back veer guy for years back in the 1990’s

I respect the hell out of Reents and the Wilmo program but….. can you open it up a little on offense please?

I know, it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
Probably not gonna happen. They did throw pretty effectively last year the one time they needed it in the quarterfinal game.

Reactions: colin2229
“I run six plays, split veer, it’s like Novocaine, give it time, it always works” Coach Herman Boone.

And I agree with Coach Boone, but you need the horses to make it work. MC had amazing success with it, but they started missing out on the players they had normally got to other schools when the RPO became more of the popular thing. Kids wanted to play in a more wide open offense with more options. Between 2014 and 2017 MC lost 17 games in 4 seasons, that’s more then they lost in 14 seasons between 1988 and 2002. I don’t know if they win the titles in 2019, 2022, and 2023 if they are running the Veer still because I’m not sure if MC would have got the same players they had those years, especially in 2022 and 2023, if they didn’t change their offense…maybe they do, but I don’t think so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
“I run six plays, split veer, it’s like Novocaine, give it time, it always works” Coach Herman Boone.

And I agree with Coach Boone, but you need the horses to make it work. MC had amazing success with it, but they started missing on on the players they had normally got to other schools when the RPO became more of the popular thing. Kids wanted to play in a more wide open offense with more options. Between 2014 and 2017 MC lost 17 games in 4 seasons, that’s more then they lost in 14 seasons between 1988 and 2002. I don’t know if they win the titles in 2019, 2022, and 2023 if they are running the Veer still because I’m not sure if MC would have got the same players they had those years, especially in 2022 and 2023, if they didn’t change their offense…maybe they do, but I don’t think so.
Interesting perspective as to the future of Private schools with regards to trying to run an option offense. I fully agree with your thoughts. Kids today MAY be less likely to want to play for even a very successful team, if they feel they would be playing for what they consider to be a boring offense, even if it works well.

Thanks, good food for thought. :)

Interesting perspective as to the future of Private schools with regards to trying to run an option offense. I fully agree with your thoughts. Kids today MAY be less likely to want to play for even a very successful team, if they feel they would be playing for what they consider to be a boring offense, even if it works well.

Thanks, good food for thought. :)
Now my question is other than some of those schools moving to more of an RPO based offense isn't it really the same thing just dressed up more sexy? A lot of the most winningest schools ran and still run the option style offense. Since when did winning become soo unattractive to kids.... Cary Grove ESL is the the ultimate clash of those two types of thought and Cary seems to have figured it out with less high level recruits.

Reactions: atrain97
I would be curious to discover the extent that youth programs feeding into public high schools that run option football use such an attack. Particularly as it relates to having a option-ready QBs coming in as freshmen with some background,

I would be curious to discover the extent that youth programs feeding into public high schools that run option football use such an attack. Particularly as it relates to having a option-ready QBs coming in as freshmen with some background,
While I agree with you 100% and understand that it gives you an immense advantage, Isn't that the whole reason for hiring good coaches? You want to develop players not everyone has the luxury to be able to select who they bring to their school. I imagine 90% of a varsity roster are kids who worked their way through the lower levels and I'm not saying its the same thing as playing on Friday night but I watched South Elgin play 6 games with a qb who scored 25 touchdowns and then when he went down the backup came in and scored like 20 something of his own.

Reactions: johnndoe
Surprised no mention of Vern Pottinger and Belvidere. Back-to-back state champions running option football out of the wishbone.

Vern was an option master.

Currently, there’s CG and then a wide gap IMO, at least in the North and Northwest burbs.

Sidebar: Two best teams I’ve seen run OV (outside veer) were Mount Carmel and Prairie Ridge. They had the higher-level athletic QB’s who could stretch all the way to the the ‘C’ gap and beyond with their first read. That’s not easy. Very few teams can run OV effectively.

Carmel Catholic with M. Venegoni didn’t run OV. They ran a double-dive into the ‘C’ gap and beyond. Ran it to perfection. Took the option read completely out of the play, but it had the look of standard belly option.

Last edited:
Surprised no mention of Vern Pottinger and Belvidere. Back-to-back state champions running option football out of the wishbone.

Currently, there’s CG and then a wide gap IMO, at least in the North and Northwest burbs.

Sidebar: Two best teams I’ve seen run OV (outside veer) were Mount Carmel and Prairie Ridge. They had the higher-level athletic QB’s who could stretch all the way to the the ‘C’ gap and beyond with their first read. That’s not easy. Very few teams can run OV effectively.

Carmel Catholic with M. Venegoni didn’t run OV. They ran a double-dive into the ‘C’ gap and beyond. Ran it to perfection. Took the option read completely out of the play, but it had the look of standard belly option.
All.... Oh I remember (I try to forget) that 94 Buc team. SHG traveled to Belvidere for a semi. A fun long road trip. I was already thinking about next weeks championship game and when to show up for that one.. It didn't help that the Cyclones stud receiver was severely limited fighting a hip pointer injury.

I will never forget that running offense. Coach Pottinger's rb's were packed in so tight in formation they almost looked like they were offensive lineman. Cyclones fell 14-6 in that game. Ratsy

Played against Belvidere in the semi's in 87. First time I had really played against an option team. Took a few quarters to figure it out.

All.... Oh I remember (I try to forget) that 94 Buc team. SHG traveled to Belvidere for a semi. A fun long road trip. I was already thinking about next weeks championship game and when to show up for that one.. It didn't help that the Cyclones stud receiver was severely limited fighting a hip pointer injury.

I will never forget that running offense. Coach Pottinger's rb's were packed in so tight in formation they almost looked like they were offensive lineman. Cyclones fell 14-6 in that game. Ratsy
SHG fared far better against the '94 Bucs than Morris did in the title game. Belvedere won 28-0 to complete back to back titles. I believe they won 5A in '93 and dropped down to 4A for '94.

And even after Pottinger left we ran it and we ran it no huddle.

Also talking option football Belvidere North switch to the Flexbone in 2015 and still run it now.

When Frank Lenti was criticized for running the veer option, he brought up De La Salle High School in Concord, CA, which ran the veer so successfully that it won a ridiculous 151 games in a row from 1992 to 2004.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldSICA
When Frank Lenti was criticized for running the veer option, he brought up De La Salle High School in Concord, CA, which ran the veer so successfully that it won a ridiculous 151 games in a row from 1992 to 2004.
I seem to recall another HS program in Cali that made some major hay in the 90s (along with others afterward in the state) with a super-compressed double-wing offense running pitch and trap with the FB literally inches from the QB? I remember Rich Central adopting it for a couple seasons in the early 2000s maybe.

Reactions: Silver Rain
Played against Belvidere in the semi's in 87. First time I had really played against an option team. Took a few quarters to figure it out.
You didn’t play against Eddie Thomas and St. Pat’s in ‘86? St. Pat’s ran some option. We (Carmel) were tied late in the game with Pat’s 3-3 in the fall of ‘86 when Eddie took one to the house on a long run. We lost 10-3 @ Hanson and that horrible turf.
Lost to Viator 3-0.
Lost to Marist (6A runner up) 19-14.
Only game to get away from us was a loss to JC (their HC game).
(3) frustrating losses in ‘86 - finished 5-4. Had to get to 6-3 to qualify, but it didn’t happen.
In the Marist game we went up 14-13 late on a naked bootleg, only to KO and see Matt Quinn return it for a TD.
The very next season (‘87) against Marist we scored first on a draw play (Donnell Foster TD) right before halftime to go up 6-0. We were hoping to take that lead to the locker room, only to see - yes - Matt Quinn - return the ensuing KO for a TD.
Went into the locker room down 7-6.
Got our asses chewed big time.
Lost 20-6.

LONG and late bus ride home.

That game against Marist was week (3), Marist’s first home game that season, their first-ever game under lights, their coaches 100th victory celebration (T. Pieterzak (sp?)), Sportvision (or Cablevision ?) HS televised game of the week, and we got there late. Traffic was horrible and so was our warm-up.

Mike Mulligan from the Score (currently) covered the game for the Trib.

Last edited:
You didn’t play against Eddie Thomas and St. Pat’s in ‘86? St. Pat’s ran some option. We (Carmel) we tied late in the game with Pat’s 3-3 in the fall of ‘86 when Eddie took one to the house on a long run. We lost 10-3 @ Hanson and that horrible turf.
Lost to Viator 3-0.
Lost to Marist (6A runner up) 19-14.
Only game to get away from us was a loss to JC (their HC game).
(3) frustrating losses in ‘86 - finished 5-4. Had to get to 6-3 to qualify, but it didn’t happen.
In the Marist game we went up 14-13 late on a naked bootleg, only to KO and see Matt Quinn return it for a TD.
The very next season (‘87) against Marist we scored first on a draw play (Donnell Foster TD) right before halftime to go up 6-0. We were hoping to take that lead to the locker room, only to see - yes - Matt Quinn - return the ensuing KO for a TD.
Went into the locker room down 7-6.
Got our asses chewed big time.
Lost 20-6.

LONG and late bus ride home.

That game against Marist was week (3), Marist’s first home game that season, their first-ever game under lights, their coaches 100th victory celebration (T. Pieterzak (sp?)), Sportvision (or Cablevision ?) HS televised game of the week, and we got there late. Traffic was horrible and so was our warm-up.

Mike Mulligan from the Score (currently) covered the game for the Trib.
That was a pretty good Pats team in 86. They hammered us 28-0 at Hanson stadium, It was JC's first loss ever in the ESCC. I don't really remember them running the option. They beat us again in 87 13-7. That was our last loss of the year. Ran off 9 straight after that game. Their running back was Curtis Lipsey. Maybe the best running back I played against in high school.

Curtis dated a girl from Carmel Catholic, so I met him and William Freeney a few times outside of sports and banging helmets.

In ‘86 with Eddie Thomas at QB they ran speed option. They never had a belly game. Eddie faked the pitch to Lipsey on his long run I mention above. Both had great edge speed (he and Curtis). He had enough of a lane and some good blocking to take it to the house. That was pretty much the extent of their option game; it was effective when they ran it.

I remember reading about JC’s loses to St. Pat’s in ‘86 and ‘87. Louisville worked that school well with their recruiting efforts as they grabbed both Brian Hayes (MLB) and Lipsey. Both had good production @ L’ville.

Last edited:
Curtis dated a girl from Carmel Catholic, so I met him and William Freeney a few times outside of sports and banging helmets.

I remember reading about JC’s loses to St. Pat’s in ‘86 and ‘87. Louisville worked that school well with their recruiting efforts as they grabbed both Brian Hayes (MLB) and Lipsey. Both had good production @ L’ville.

To add insult to injury, it was our homecoming

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT