ADVERTISEMENT

ICE Playoff Outlook and Round 1 predictions

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
The real season starts now. Congrats to the 3 ICE representatives.

2A - Wilmington is in a loaded side of the bracket. BCC and Maroa are interesting additions to this already deep north half of the bracket. I really think there could be any of 4 or 5 teams that can make a run at a title. I know everyone here is hoping for Westville to win week 1 so they get to play Seneca at home. It's been too long since Seneca has felt the rumble of the Harleys. I don't expect Aledo to give much of a challenge. They have beat the bad teams and lost to the above average teams on their schedule (except week 1) I think Wilmo wins week 1 with ease let's say 35-14. However I am finding it hard to make a prediction for the rest of Wilma's post season. I think after week 1 every game is truly a toss-up. Downs, Seneca, Maroa/BCC all wait for the Cats. I do think the north wins this class though. Too many players on that half.

3A - The 'Tone gets to tune week one against a CPS school. However, not so fortunate to play Byron in Round 2. Whatever happens after that, I just hope Byron can keep rolling and get past Montini. Peotone 42- Crane 6

4A - Coal City round 1 should be a win. Normal didn't really beat anybody good, but if I'm being honest CC didn't either. I will go with the ICE team to win, but congrats on getting Rochester in round 2. North looks tough too though. CC 28 - U-high 21

Sandwich has a great draw and should probably be favored to get to the quarters.

Wilmo should handle Mercer Co. Wilmo has steadily gotten better. They have a real good shot, but if you look at calpreps, they are basically toss ups with the other 4 top seeds in 2A north. If Wilmo is fortunate enough to advance, I see road games for both rounds 2 and 3.

Tone shouldn’t have any trouble with Crane. At least their 2nd round game v Byron will be at home.

I don’t have a lot of faith in CC to be honest. U High plays in a much bigger and better conference, even though they did not have to play Rochester. I’ll be pulling for the Coalers, but U High is my pick.

Last edited:
Anyone remember the last time the ICE/old I8 only got 3 teams in to the postseason? Not a good year.

2A #12 Aledo (Mercer County) (6-3) at #5 Wilmington (8-1) - Wilmo is in for a dog fight if they want to make it out of the North. But I think they have it pretty easy until the quarters. Aledo isnt vey good and Downs isnt at the level the Cats are at, but then Seneca will be waiting in the Quarters. I don't see Wilmo having much trouble in Round 1 . Cats 42 Golden Eagles 13

3A #9 Peotone (6-3) vs. #8 Chicago (Crane) (6-3) - Tone gets in at 6-3. Up and down season for them. Looked really good at times and not so good also. Good draw here for round one. Another bad CPS school. Tone makes the drive to the city and gets a convincing win. Unfortunately the best team in 3A waits for them in Round 2, Byron. Tone gets a good win here and can consider this season a success, I think they will be even better next year with that young backfield. Blue Devils 35 Cougars 8

4A GOTW #9 Normal (University) (7-2) at #8 Coal City (7-2) - Much like Tone, if CC wins they have the 4A state champ awaiting them in Round 2. This is an interesting matchup. U High has had their best season in the CS8 since they joined. They beat a good Decatur MacArthur team and won the games they were supposed to win in that conference. Coalers, like Tone, have looked really good and also average at times. I think this will be a very close competitive game. I don't have much confidence in the Coaler offense but I do in their defense. The physical play of the Coalers gets them a round 1 win here. Coalers 24 Pioneers 21

As far as State Champ predictions I like
1A Lena Winslow
2A Seneca
3A Byron
4A Rochester
5A St Francis
6A Cary Grove
7A Mt Carmel
8A Loyola

Still think the Seneca/Wilmington winner wins 2A. Wilmington will be a tough out second time around and with Reents having seen them a second time. North half is loaded south well...........

Outstanding draw for all three ICE teams. All three get a head start on watching round two film.

2A North quarters n semis will come down to who's home and who's away. Stay tuned 👍

Still think the Seneca/Wilmington winner wins 2A. Wilmington will be a tough out second time around and with Reents having seen them a second time. North half is loaded south well...........
Still waiting to see what’s up with Seneca QB. I saw something on FND live stream that said he played week 9, but not at QB. Reading the St. Bede game story from their local reporter, he was not mentioned.
That QB really makes Seneca go.

Still waiting to see what’s up with Seneca QB. I saw something on FND live stream that said he played week 9, but not at QB. Reading the St. Bede game story from their local reporter, he was not mentioned.
That QB really makes Seneca go.
If the QB is good as you say he is and he doesn't play QB in the playoffs then Seneca doesn''t make it past the quarters.

ICE gets 3 teams in which is what most of us expected.

Mercer County @ Wilmington - Wilmington is cruising and is firing on all cylinders. Don't know anything about Mercer County except for this would have been a great matchup back in the early 2000s. Wilmington 45 Mercer County 18

Peotone @ Crane - the Devils went through a lot of trials and tribulations this season and regardless of what happens the next few weeks they should call this season a success. A Chicago Crane team that I can't imagine is anything other than a typical CPS team won't be able to stop the 'Tone from their power run game. Peotone 52 Crane 12

Normal U-High @ Coal City - the Pioneers are a somewhat surprising entry into the playoffs in my opinion but their league is improving quickly and becoming more competitive. U-High isn't flashy and the Coalers aren't either. U-High seems better offensively than the Coalers but the Coalers look to have a stronger defense. A pretty evenly matched game that will go down to the wire. U-High 27 Coal City 22

Sandwich has a great draw and should probably be favored to get to the quarters.

Wilmo should handle Mercer Co. Wilmo has steadily gotten better. They have a real good shot, but if you look at calpreps, they are basically toss ups with the other 4 top seeds in 2A north. If Wilmo is fortunate enough to advance, I see road games for both rounds 2 and 3.

Tone shouldn’t have any trouble with Crane. At least their 2nd round game v Byron will be at home.

I don’t have a lot of faith in CC to be honest. U High plays in a much bigger and better conference, even though they did not have to play Rochester. I’ll be pulling for the Coalers, but U High is my pick.
Ok, terrible pick by me. Coal City put a beat down on them

Reactions: corey90
The CC game was the only game for the ICE where I could see an ICE loss. However, the Coalers had other plans.

Although the ICE was bad this year I still view CC as the 2nd best team in the conference. Normal beat one decent team all year. Coal City hadn't really beat a decent team leading up to playoffs, however their two losses were against some of the best in their respective classes.

Good win for CC, however next week probably won't go as well.

The CC game was the only game for the ICE where I could see an ICE loss. However, the Coalers had other plans.
I was surprised y'all were giving U-High so much respect. I hope the Coalers other plans included half the staff preparing for Rochester last week lol

I didn't think the would lose, just said it would be the only shot for an ICE loss.
Yeah I didn't think the Coalers were gonna get pounded or anything, I just didn't have a lot of faith in them. I guess that game against Wilmo I put too much stock in. Clearly that was just a weird homecoming one off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT