ADVERTISEMENT

California Playoff Controversy

common sense is what should stand. correct the obvious error and reward the proper winning team.

common sense is what should stand. correct the obvious error and reward the proper winning team.
If they correct the error they need to enforce a penalty and replay the down. By awarding the losing team the W you are taking the kicking teams chance to win away to make the extra point and force OT. The play needs to stand.

Reactions: bccanwin
The potential precedent this sets would be horrible. We are human, we make mistakes. Hardly intentional - at least I haven’t met an official yet whose made a mistake on purpose.

It’s a miss. At a bad time, but a miss.

Reactions: 4Afan
Imagine if this happened in Illinois. The lawyers would be out:
The appeal to have the outcome reversed was denied by California prep football group on Sunday so the team that scored the two-point conversion that clearly was illegal has been declared the winner and will play next weekend.
It seems like a blown call in an Illinois state semifinal a fews years back resulted in the team that should have won in regulation winding up losing in overtime and that incorrect call by referees was upheld by the IHSA group.

Such an amazing story. I’ve worked with Don Cook and a number of the guys in that crew.

I became an official because football is in my heart. I have a unique perspective as someone who has been a coach, a parent of a player, a member of the media and now an official.

Much like any aspect of life, there are good ones and bad ones. But I have yet to see one that didn’t try to do his or her best.

I admit, I yelled at officials. But I also admit that yelling is one thing, but forcibly attacking an official, following them tk their car, calling their house or sending them threatening emails is behind over the line.

My crew and I in Virginia were followed to our cars with fans banging on our vehicles. And this was the team that won.

So I ask of this board, before you wildly yell at an official. Before you go on social media and claim some red nosed Irish guy is on the take wait a moment and think.

These people are humans that make human mistakes. Being an official is hard. We don’t have the benefit in HS of replay so we get one instinctual millisecond to get it right.

I can guarantee you those parents from DuPec haven’t gone through one training class, spent a second on the field or could tell you the difference between previous spot and end of play spot.

This is a rant because I love officiating. I appreciate how hard it is. And now that I do college it’s even tougher.

Appreciate these men and women who dedicate their lives to this like Kenny did and still does. He is a great great man - but he is human.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT