ADVERTISEMENT

My Take: University of Illinois Class of 2024

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
University of Illinois Class of 2024 Team Recruiting Rankings and Signing Class roster

My Take: In State Names from the Illinois Class of 2024

The University of Illinois recruiting Class of 2024 is composed of 19 signee's including four names from the State of Illinois. The State of Illinois 2024 recruiting class overall was a strong overall group, and the upper portion of the Class of 2024 is very strong at the very Top Tier. The Top 10-15 names in this class include several impact names with high pedigrees who have a very good chance of developing and becoming big time names down the line. Unfortunately for Illinois, they continue to not find a way to close on those highly ranked and recruiting Top 10 names in state. One big point of emphasis from Illinois head coach Bret Bielema was how he wants his recruiting philosophy to remain focused on signing and developing high school level talent...and it sure doesn't sound like Illinois will be shopping in the high priced NLI market anytime soon. Could this become a positive for Illinois (it certainly will be a positive from a high school recruiting perspective) or a possible negative...if a school like Illinois falls behind as more and more rival Big Ten schools look to make more then what? Time will tell.

Illinois Class of 2024 In State Signing Class

WR Tysean Griffin Morgan Park 4 star
DL Eddie Tuerk Lyons Township 4 star
LB Joe Barna Wheaton North 3 star
OT Brandon Hansen Mundelein 3 star

Which In State name has the best chance of becoming an impact player?

WR Tysean Griffin Morgan Park 4 star ranked by Rivals-
Griffin, who is coached by former Illinois WR Chris James at Morgan Park has been the Mustangs main go to guy and leader on and off the field. A four year two way varsity starter and captain, Griffin was an impact player in all three phases of the game over those four seasons. Griffin has excellent hands, speed and quickness along with the ability to make opposing defenders miss. Griffin is a dangerous open field runner who showed to have multiple gears and will seldom be caught from opposing defensive backs. Griffin, who is also a standout in the class room will be given every opportunity to get into the Fighting Illini receivers rotation as early as next fall. Griffin still needs to add more good weight and size to be Big 10 ready but I love his overall tools and motor.

Sleeper In-State Name in the Class of 2024?

Mundelein OT Brandon Hansen-
Brandon Hansen was pretty much an unknown until the winter after his junior year when he began to show up at various recruiting showcases (including my annual MLK Showcase event) and had some really impressive showings. Hansen also played a bit under the radar at Mundelein High School, a program stuck in a very strong North Suburban conference. Hansen no question is already college ready from a size and strength perspective and his overall work ethic,, motor and overall hunger and desire to become a great player is very evident. Hansen still has work to do including just getting used to going against Big 10 level defensive linemen week in and week out. Hansen also needs to improve his overall speed/quickness while also getting more comfortable adjusting from play to play and developing a short memory. Yet overall....Hansen in my opinion has the physical tools, work ethic and mentality to develop into a very nice addition for the Fighting Illinois.

The One Who Got Away?

Chicago Mount Carmel 4 star ranked RB Darrion Dupree (Wisconsin)-
Dupree, a four star ranked running back who led the Caravan to the 2023 Class 7A state title win also had an All State season and was named as the Chicagoland Player of the Year by the Sun Times. Dupree made an official visit to Illinois back in mid June and was one of his Top 4 schools before announcing his verbal commitment to Wisconsin. Dupree continued to draw strong recruiting efforts after his commitment to Wisconsin including a late offer from Alabama, and also Illinois remained in the picture this fall. Yet in the end Dupree stuck with the Badgers and signed with them on Wednesday.

Overall Grade on the University of Illinois In State Class of 2024: C+

Illinois and head coach Bret Bielema no question still has work to do from an in state recruiting perspective and the main issue in my mind is can the Fighting Illini continue to battle for position with say the Top 10 in state names and then find a better way of closing? Positives for Illinois? Bielema and his staff focus on in state recruiting has been much more than lip service in my opinion. In state coaches no question have a much better feeling for the University of Illinois and how Bielema and his staff continue to make in school visits and make a real effort towards the in state recruiting base. While that work and effort still hasn't generated much yet from a Top 5-10 perspective....I truly feel it remains on the right path.

I would also be remiss not to include a factor that I've talked about for decades now.....and that is winning. Illinois last season was coming off a 8-5 record in 2022 and sure looked like the football program was starting to turn thing around but then reverted backwards a bit in 2023 with a 5-7 record. Winning and becoming a more consistent winner no question will help out in state recruiting efforts in a big way and especially Illinois who still to this day seems to generate the most amount of ink and coverage in state compared to both Northwestern and NIU.

Also the always changing recruiting landscape has shifted again with the transfer portal along with NIL paydays. Illinois as mentioned seems to want to focus on high school recruiting (the correct answer whether that's the truth or not so much) and then maybe dip it's toe a bit more into the water from an NLI standpoint? Again I don't see Illinois throwing around millions here...but will they end up being forced into more NIL bidding wars if it's competition also decided to go more of an NIL route? Again this is another storyline to follow over the next year for sure.

The Illinois Class of 2024 as mentioned is solid.....not spectacular at all and the lack of overall n state names along with no Top 10 names in this group also lowers the overall letter grade. But do I feel Illinois is down or not on the right track? No. The overall grade for this Illinois Class of 2024 including OOS names is pretty decent so hopefully the OOS efforts will carry this class as projected.

Reactions: 4Afan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT