ADVERTISEMENT

What's the deal with Chicago Hope Academy?

What's a gameday like at Altgeld Park?

This would be an awesome one to watch - has Le-Win ever played a game in the Chicago city limits? Wish I could make it.
This will be the biggest game in Atlgeld Park/Hope Acadmey history! Not sure how many fans Lena will bring, but combined w/ Hope fans I'm not sure the stadium can hold an overflow crowd. There could a scenario where people are standing behind the goalposts, sidelines ( inside the 25s), or even on the street outside the gates with the sounds of 290 behind them. A state semi hosted by Hope will be a first. Parking is VERY scarce in the lot so prepare to walk at least 1blk if you're late from your street parking. Lena Winslow came to play Hales one playoff year if im not mistaken

Altgeld Park

Saw a game there this year. Quite shocked they are allowed to play games there. It’s a liability nightmare.

One end zone has light poles a foot behind the corner end lines and a fence one yard behind the EZ. The other EZ has a brick wall a yard behind the EZ.

Teams can only kick FG’s into the west EZ. So…what do you do if you're driving with no TO’s the opposite direction to win the game?

Looking forward to this game but don’t think it’s going to be very close.

What's a gameday like at Altgeld Park?

This would be an awesome one to watch - has Le-Win ever played a game in the Chicago city limits? Wish I could make it.
They played at DePaul Prep either last year or the year before. The Rams scored a few touchdowns on them, and the game wasn’t the blowout I expected it to be - it was a precursor of DePaul’s rise up to becoming competitive again (as in average and no longer just an easy win).

They played at DePaul Prep either last year or the year before. The Rams scored a few touchdowns on them, and the game wasn’t the blowout I expected it to be - it was a precursor of DePaul’s rise up to becoming competitive again (as in average and no longer just an easy win).
I think DePaul is going to be sneaky good next year... lots of momentum and big numbers in that program

They will have to play in 4A though. Much different than 1A.
Of course. I wouldn't be surprised if they are 5A - their intake seems to keep growing and I would not be surprised if their Freshman class is considerably bigger than their senior class. And I'm not even suggesting they make a playoff run - just getting to the playoffs would be a first in a decade for them.

But depending on how their schedule shapes up next year, I think they could very conceivably run the table in the Red next season and finish with 7 or 8 reg season wins.

Of course. I wouldn't be surprised if they are 5A - their intake seems to keep growing and I would not be surprised if their Freshman class is considerably bigger than their senior class. And I'm not even suggesting they make a playoff run - just getting to the playoffs would be a first in a decade for them.

But depending on how their schedule shapes up next year, I think they could very conceivably run the table in the Red next season and finish with 7 or 8 reg season wins.
And they did pretty well against 5A and 6A schools this year. Beat Fenwick and NND and only lost by a TD to Providence. The future is definitely bright there.

Reactions: HotBeer
RIP to Hales! Looks like it was 27-21.
Story about Hales:
Before MJ donated funds to make a major renovation to their stadium, Hales played on a diagonal field without much for stands or press box. While at a game, I was disappointed to watch the head coach talking on his cell phone throughout the game as it was being played. In the second half, I expressed my building anger to a crewmate and he pointed to the top floor of the nearby apartment building. There, on the balcony, were two assistant coaches with similar cell phones...

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishfan90
Reactions: Gene K.
The camera view is virtually unwatchable, but Hope just stopped Le-Win in on downs in the red zone. It then turned around and hit a long pass on first down to move the ball out near mid-field.
Would a Hope win be one of the biggest upsets in IHSA history?

Another long pass puts Hope on the doorstep of the Le-Win end zone. Hope seems to be just chucking the ball down the field with success.

6-yd. TD run by Eddie Jenkins Jr. -- ill. motion penalty had moved the ball back -- extra point make it 28-16 with 5:04 to go. 21 unanswered points for Hope.

Reactions: brucealmighy
L-W rides Gage Dunker on the ground into the red zone. TD pass to Shoemaker to Lynch. Dunker with 2-pt. run. 28-24 with 1:04 left in the third qtr.

The camera appears to be literally behind what would be called the press table with a cement post in the way when the ball is on Hope's end of the field.

Le-Win forces Hope into a fourth down as the third quarter comes to an end. It will be fourth and 7 for Hope when the final quarter begins.

Horrible snap on the punt. He still manages to get the kick off. L-W will open the possesssion at its own 26.

Hope goes for it on fourth and an inch. Jenkins rolls out and connects with WR, who drops the ball when a L-W makes the hit. First down Panthers at the Hope 35. Jenkins probably could have run for the first down.

Le-Win throws interception on fourth and 13. Shoemaker hit as he is trying to throw. Hope will take over at its own 21 with 5:07 to go.

Hope is held on downs in its own territory. Le-Win takes over at 27 with 2:50 to go.

Hope holds L-W on fourth down. Eagles will take over at their own 26 with 1:49 to go.

Hope moves across midfield on pass play. 1:11 to go. Behind press box and cement post.

Hope gave LeWin everything they could. Hope coach gave the LeWin radio station an interview after the game. An amazing interview. Hope coach is a class act.

Reactions: AmbroseBlack
I like Hope but another disappointing finish. They underachieved. It seems each year they lose by the skin of their teeth. The beat quality upperclass teams but not 1A teams.

Last edited:
Le-Win is a powerhouse. They would probably win 2A and be very competitive in 3A. Hope lost when L-W intercepted a pass at the goal line. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I like Hope but another disappointing finish. They underachieved. It seems each year they lose by the skin of their teeth. The beat quality upperclass teams but not 1A teams.
I disagree with this take.
They have had trouble in the past with ground and pound smash mouth teams, but did a hell of a job yesterday. They had juggernaut three time defending champs LeWin on the ropes.
They played great but just came up short.
Making the semis for the first time isn’t underachieving in my book.

I disagree with this take.
They have had trouble in the past with ground and pound smash mouth teams, but did a hell of a job yesterday. They had juggernaut three time defending champs LeWin on the ropes.
They played great but just came up short.
Making the semis for the first time isn’t underachieving in my book.
Moral Victories don't mean squat. Whether you lose by 1 or by 50 it's all the same. They should have won last night but didn't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT