ADVERTISEMENT

What's the deal with Chicago Hope Academy?

HotBeer

Jul 31, 2017
Maybe this is a silly question, but are these guys like Baltimore-St. Frances Junior or something?

Tiny little 1A school, but in the past two years they have played out in California, beaten much larger schools like De La Salle, Marian Central, Quincy Notre-Dame etc.

I'm a lifelong Chicagoan and know nothing about this school... is the whole school a football program essentially?

Small private Christian school in Chicago. 250 students. Play in same conference as Wheaton academy, B Mac, etc. Went 8-1 beating both those schools. B Mac score was 57-0 Somehow they are not multiplied and will play down in 1A, where they should be a heavy favorite

Reactions: HotBeer
They are very athletic but very soft. Every year they go 8-1 or 9-0 and have to play a team out of the NUIC that punches them in the nose. They go into the fetal position and get trounced the first or second round. Can't handle hard-nosed ground and pound football.

Well, that explains why they’re not multiplied. Though, this year they have some good wins. Wheaton Academy is a decent 5A team with their only loss to Hope. Hope has only one playoff win in last three years

Well, that explains why they’re not multiplied. Though, this year they have some good wins. Wheaton Academy is a decent 5A team with their only loss to Hope. Hope has only one playoff win in last three years
I agree the Wheaton win is an impressive win for Hope. But they have to show they can stop a ground and pound team because that is what the 1A north is full of especially as the weather turns colder.

Maybe this is a silly question, but are these guys like Baltimore-St. Frances Junior or something?

Tiny little 1A school, but in the past two years they have played out in California, beaten much larger schools like De La Salle, Marian Central, Quincy Notre-Dame etc.

I'm a lifelong Chicagoan and know nothing about this school... is the whole school a football program essentially?
The whole school is most definitely not a football program. It is a coed school of 275 kids that offers 9 sports for boys, with three of them (football, soccer, and cross country) being in the fall. Maxpreps says their varsity roster is 37, with 10 of them being either 9th or 10th graders. Their boys soccer team won a 1A regional title this year.

Reactions: colin2229
Wheaton Academy is in the 4A playoffs. WA schedule this included 7 class 1A and 2A schools and St Charles East an 8A school with a record of 1-8. 9th opponent was out of Texas.

Wheaton St Francis is 5A.

Wheaton Academy is in the 4A playoffs. WA schedule this included 7 class 1A and 2A schools and St Charles East an 8A school with a record of 1-8. 9th opponent was out of Texas.

Wheaton St Francis is 5A.
Right you are! So by your assessment, Wheaton academy would get smoked in 1A. I see they get a CPL bunny in round one and then RB. Ouch!

Small private Christian school in Chicago. 250 students. Play in same conference as Wheaton academy, B Mac, etc. Went 8-1 beating both those schools. B Mac score was 57-0 Somehow they are not multiplied and will play down in 1A, where they should be a heavy favorite

Remember in the 2nd round, CHA will play a team they lost to in the regular season, aurora christian.

Le-win won't play a game within 10 points, probably 20.

They would win 2A easily and be co-favorite in 3A with Byron
Definitely a deserving favorite but they'll have to deal with Althoff in 1A, 2A north is already crazy so wouldn't say they win that class easily, and 3A also has Montini.

Right you are! So by your assessment, Wheaton academy would get smoked in 1A. I see they get a CPL bunny in round one and then RB. Ouch!
Wheaton will do just fine vs RB. They are a nice program that is building.

Hope is good young team that most of the young players played elementary football together on the Illinois Vikings. Lot more size this year and will only get better. Alot of top players are 9th and 10th graders.....they should make serious noise next year.

Last edited:
Definitely a deserving favorite but they'll have to deal with Althoff in 1A, 2A north is already crazy so wouldn't say they win that class easily, and 3A also has Montini.

Calpreps has Lena as a 9 point favorite over Maroa who is the best 2A team. Maybe easily isn't the right word, but they would be a clear favorite.

Last edited:
Calpreps has them a 9 point favorite over Maroa who is the best 2A team. Maybe easily isn't the right word, but they would be a clear favorite.
Calpreps…ooooooook.

Until Hope beats a NUIC program…they are a second tier 1a program. This is coming from someone who is pulling hard for their program. Big Fan.

Calpreps…ooooooook.

Until Hope beats a NUIC program…they are a second tier 1a program. This is coming from someone who is pulling hard for their program. Big Fan.
Ummmm, pretty sure he's talking about Lena-Winslow.

Also, Calpreps is fairly accurate at picking winners.

Ummmm, pretty sure he's talking about Lena-Winslow.

Also, Calpreps is fairly accurate at picking winners.
Any top NUIC program. They were destroyed by a Second tier NUIC program last year.

What makes the NUIC so competitive? You guys are talking about it like the SEC of 1A-3A. I feel like it's pretty rare for public conferences to be high-quality top to bottom.

Genuinely curious - I'm not familiar with the NUIC.

What makes the NUIC so competitive? You guys are talking about it like the SEC of 1A-3A. I feel like it's pretty rare for public conferences to be high-quality top to bottom.

Genuinely curious - I'm not familiar with the NUIC.
They are. They went 13-4 in the playoffs last year and 3 of those losses were against each other. The last (6) 1A champions have come from the NIUC in 1A.

Tough kids that are well coached.

If i'm not too mistake, I believe the 11 man NUIC schools have 20 state titles in total. The 8 man schools added in another 5 or 6 when then played 11 man. The 8 man schools have won two of the three 8 man titles and are favored to get another one this season.

I thought they got done dirty by the CCL.Great people & nice program.Competitive vs big name teams but fizzle out in the playoffs

Hope 37
AC 29

Final

Hope should win next week as well before they run into Lena University.

• Wow
Reactions: gobears25
Neighborhood behave this week please!
Sad you have to ask that but i recall a few years ago a nearby shooting caused 2 teams to forfeit to Hope rather than play there.The focus of the media ofc was to trash the schools who wouldn't play there rather than the scum
who did the shooting

How did they get done dirty by the CCL?
When they redone CCL they pushed Hope out.I'm sure there is a post on it from years ago on here & Edgy had to get his golden plunger as a few got flushed as it got heated

What's a gameday like at Altgeld Park?

This would be an awesome one to watch - has Le-Win ever played a game in the Chicago city limits? Wish I could make it.

Is this the week Lena Winslow goes down?
Don't think so. Hope has played Aurora Christian to two close games, one a win and the other a loss.

AC got manhandled by Wilmington. LW is on Wilmington's level. It sounds like Hope is not.

I know it's all about matchups and you can't project one result to a different opponent, but it seems to be that Lena should be considered the heavy favorite here.

What's a gameday like at Altgeld Park?

This would be an awesome one to watch - has Le-Win ever played a game in the Chicago city limits? Wish I could make it.
I believe back in about 2012 LW traveled to Hales Franciscan and won there about 28-14.

Don't think so. Hope has played Aurora Christian to two close games, one a win and the other a loss.

AC got manhandled by Wilmington. LW is on Wilmington's level. It sounds like Hope is not.

I know it's all about matchups and you can't project one result to a different opponent, but it seems to be that Lena should be considered the heavy favorite here.
I would agree with this thought process as well. The one wild card is how much playing at home on a decent weather day will help Hope?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT