ADVERTISEMENT

A better question

I have no doubts that a Montini will win 6A-maybe even this year-however the jump from 6 to 7/8 is just huge. Not seeing that happen.

oh dean, you know the history better than i do...jca has plenty of 5a trophies when 5a was the second largest class....and of course, has beaten MC in years when MC and JC won championships...JCA in a lower class.

Truth is, JCA's rosters look nothing like what they did 10 years ago. my senior year team we had 90 players on the roster and were indistinguishable from 8a teams. until enrollments tick back up, it would be a mighty tough challenge. There would have to be an 08 looking JCA team.
back then also JC would open with MC and NN -when they were top notch-FE had JC in 5A quite a bit doing that

oh dean, you know the history better than i do...jca has plenty of 5a trophies when 5a was the second largest class....and of course, has beaten MC in years when MC and JC won championships...JCA in a lower class.

Truth is, JCA's rosters look nothing like what they did 10 years ago. my senior year team we had 90 players on the roster and were indistinguishable from 8a teams. until enrollments tick back up, it would be a mighty tough challenge. There would have to be an 08 looking JCA team.

But even with the enrollment drop, JCA still produces more D1/D2 athletes than anyone else in the area. That hasn't went down. Also, if you include girls sports I bet the top end talent is up at JCA. You just no longer get the backup kids that give you huge rosters.

It is a huge jump and would be extremely difficult. But there are always soo many declarative statements being made on this board. You bring you but that was 10 years ago, 10 years ago naz was going 1-8 and was the doormat of the escc. I dont think it is that crazy for 2 schools with a combination of 18 state championship to get 3 good classes and compete for 7A..

It is a huge jump and would be extremely difficult. But there are always soo many declarative statements being made on this board. You bring you but that was 10 years ago, 10 years ago naz was going 1-8 and was the doormat of the escc. I dont think it is that crazy for 2 schools with a combination of 18 state championship to get 3 good classes and compete for 7A..

West be fair. There aren't soo many declarative statements being made, just mine. I am okay with being single out on this one.

On another note, I am kind of confuse as to why people feel they wouldn't win one. Early individuals was thumping their chest at how Naz would beat everybody except PC. PC would be close. Now we are questioning if SHG, Montini, JC, etc could win one? If they can't please stop ranking them top 10 in the polls.

Reactions: DeanOfSelection
West be fair. There aren't soo many declarative statements being made, just mine. I am okay with being single out on this one.

On another note, I am kind of confuse as to why people feel they wouldn't win one. Early individuals was thumping their chest at how Naz would beat everybody except PC. PC would be close. Now we are questioning if SHG, Montini, JC, etc could win one? If they can't please stop ranking them top 10 in the polls.

I agree completely, %100.

as Great as that JC team was in 07- they did lose to MC. Now it was on a "broken down trick play" LOL- but the point is u play people now for a month in Nov when u are banged up from long season and they are on your level....s&it happens like that.

I have no doubts that a Montini will win 6A-maybe even this year-however the jump from 6 to 7/8 is just huge. Not seeing that happen.

7a Champion and runner-up:

PC - Enrollment = 1824
Cary - Enrollment = 1812

6a Class Cut off:

CLS - Enrollment = 1808 (Rolling Meadows also 1808)
TFS - Enrollment = 1806

Four kids and zero schools separated Cary from 6a (law of averages says probably two boys).
Sixteen kids and three schools (including Cary) separated PC from 6a (law of avg 8 boys).
If Flyer petitioned up last season, Cary, the 7a runner up is in 6a.
Aye.

My bottom line: I think there is a huge leap in playoff difficulty/success from 5-8; but 5-7 is much smaller; 5-6 is really nothing...so on and so forth for 6-8, 6-7. If you can win 6a, you can win 7a (ask MW about how difficult/easy Benet's 7a path was a few year's back...). If you can win 7a, you can win 8a. That said, i am not using the transitive laws and would not suggest if you cna win 6a, you can win 8a. It does get tougher.

But even with the enrollment drop, JCA still produces more D1/D2 athletes than anyone else in the area. That hasn't went down. Also, if you include girls sports I bet the top end talent is up at JCA. You just no longer get the backup kids that give you huge rosters.

agree, but the rules don't only apply to JCA.

I feel like kids are always looking for the easiest way to win and being in 7a will lead to kids transferring to other catholic schools still down in 5a that are looking to win as it is much easier route. Especially with Montini and SHG up. Its never happened before so I guess it could go either way. Will be interesting to see if Izzy gets his 3 or 4 yearly transfers now that they don't have a bye to the state individual series and an automatic title.

I think the exposure factor will be a draw for many.

Izzy doesn't get transfers. He takes them on when they are 4 and keeps them til they graduate high school.

7a Champion and runner-up:

PC - Enrollment = 1824
Cary - Enrollment = 1812

6a Class Cut off:

CLS - Enrollment = 1808 (Rolling Meadows also 1808)
TFS - Enrollment = 1806

Four kids and zero schools separated Cary from 6a (law of averages says probably two boys).
Sixteen kids and three schools (including Cary) separated PC from 6a (law of avg 8 boys).
If Flyer petitioned up last season, Cary, the 7a runner up is in 6a.
Aye.

My bottom line: I think there is a huge leap in playoff difficulty/success from 5-8; but 5-7 is much smaller; 5-6 is really nothing...so on and so forth for 6-8, 6-7. If you can win 6a, you can win 7a (ask MW about how difficult/easy Benet's 7a path was a few year's back...). If you can win 7a, you can win 8a. That said, i am not using the transitive laws and would not suggest if you cna win 6a, you can win 8a. It does get tougher.

Exactly on point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT