ADVERTISEMENT

Your dream HS football match up?

Always thought Barrington vs Cary Grove would be cool. Have they ever played each other?

I spoke with an assistant coach at Barrington I know a couple of years ago. He said there would be no upside for them in doing so, meaning potentially losing to a school two classes below them.

Schools are ten minutes apart so it would be a fun matchup. Don’t see it ever happening.

Closest CG has gotten to Barrington is practicing on their field for the state title games...

Last edited:
I spoke with an assistant coach at Barrington I know a couple of years ago. He said there would be no upside for them in doing so, meaning potentially losing to a school two classes below them.

Schools are ten minutes apart so it would be a fun matchup. Don’t see it ever happening.

Closest CG has gotten to Barrington is practicing on their field for the state title games...

Well it would be a cross town type rival game with lots of interest. 2005 to 2008 LWE played PC who was a I believe 6A at the time and even though East won every meeting it made for a great cross town game that was always a big turnout. Sometimes it just makes sense for the kids sake.

Reactions: The Outfit
Well it would be a cross town type rival game with lots of interest. 2005 to 2008 LWE played PC who was a I believe 6A at the time and even though East won every meeting it made for a great cross town game that was always a big turnout. Sometimes it just makes sense for the kids sake.

Totally agree. Not sure about this coming season but there could have been some great games over the years.

Totally agree. Not sure about this coming season but there could have been some great games over the years.

You got to love the cross town games especially when they never get to play each other. The kids love to play against their friends and the community has fun talking about it and all the hype. Win or lose it’s a great game.

Reactions: CGsupporter
Like you caravan8 I am also a bit biased about the 2005 LWE Griffins. My son was on that team. Not that it means anything, but they finished the year ranked #9 by the USA Today.

Reactions: caravan8
Some great teams on this list. I was fortunate enough to still be in school for the 1996 MC run and to this day I believe it is the best MC team ever (I’m a bit biased admittedly).
98 was probably mc best team. Their defense that year was relentless. Schumacher timbers an company were tough to move the ball against.

Reactions: caravan8
98 was probably mc best team. Their defense that year was relentless. Schumacher timbers an company were tough to move the ball against.
They definitely were and I believe that defense also had Derrick Strong on it and Piatrowicz as a K/DE. I am biased towards ‘96 because I was in school at that time and experienced the season as a student instead of alumni. Also I think the ‘96 team was just laser focused on winning that year after losing the previous season. I remember guys saying in the halls that they felt like they had let down the Dowling family by not winning the previous year after Kevin tragically passed during the ‘95 season. It meant a little something extra for those seniors that season.

Although not rising to the level of a mythical dream match-up, I would like to see Phillips and Crete-Monee have a go at each other while now in their respective primes.

Reactions: net-se
Saint Thomas Aquinas (FL) at Joliet Catholic (in November)
IMG Academy at Saint Thomas Aquinas (FL)

You really don’t want that ;)
You’re right, not today. I was thinking more of 2000 or 2001.
But IMG vs. STA would be a great matchup today. I am surprised they haven’t made that happen down there.

I originally read that as "Florida Team" @ JCA or any other Northern Illinois run happy team in late November (Early Winter weather a must.)

10-15 degrees, 40 mph winds and and snow might be nice. :)
You still don’t want that. Nor does any other team in Illinois.

Reactions: JAYC14
A very personal one: 1990 Althoff at East Saint Louis at Parson’s Field. We had week 9 open ... and it stayed that way ... but had it not:

Hickey and Chris Moore head to head - two top running backs ever to date in the state ...
Are you sure they were even the 2 best in 1990? Mike Alstott was either a junior or senior that year.

Edit: and yes Alstott was a running back in high school, not really a fullback.

I acknowledge that Alstott was a great high school back and a tremendous pro, but I’ll stand by my statements.

It’s not a slam on Alstott, by no means. But those two were more advanced and prodigious than any other backs, compared to their peers. It just happened a year a part and three miles down the road from each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
I acknowledge that Alstott was a great high school back and a tremendous pro, but I’ll stand by my statements.

It’s not a slam on Alstott, by no means. But those two were more advanced and prodigious than any other backs, compared to their peers. It just happened a year a part and three miles down the road from each other.
I will agree for the most part. 1990-91 was certainly a great time for Illinois high school RB's / FB's.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Pc played althoff in 1990. Very unique offense and Hickey Thompson was the real deal!

Pc played althoff in 1990. Very unique offense and Hickey Thompson was the real deal!
They came to us that year ... I think the final was 35-0.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1990-11-19-9004070865-story.html

Note the error - they called Hickey 160-pounder ... he was 5/11-185.

What does Hickey know now?

He knows he needs but 152 yards in Friday`s championship showdown with unbeaten Rock Island Alleman to break the 3,000 yard barrier, a mark once thought unattainable in Illinois` 14-game prep season.

Funny thing is, though, Thompson`s current total of 2,848 yards on 268 carries (not to mention 39 touchdowns) have come in only 12 games since Althoff had an open date at the end of its regular season. Taking into account that he sat out the entire fourth quarter of nine of those games due to recurrent Althoff blowouts, Thompson has actually compiled those mind-blowing numbers in total playing time of less than 10 games.

OK, maybe he`s just about 10 notches above the competition in small-town football. Trouble with that theory is Althoff`s opponents are the state`s big boys, more often than not.

''Most of our schedule, which a lot of (Class 3A teams) complain about, is made up of 5A and 6A schools,'' said Althoff coach Glen Schott. ''So our kids are used to playing that type of big-school competition. I don`t apologize for that. It does help us in the playoffs, but it`s also a big gamble. If we go 5-4 against them and don`t make the playoffs, no one would say a thing.''

And that, boys and girls, is how we ended up with Football Enrollment.

What about watching Alstott's JCA team vs Dergo's Morris team?

It would be like watching John Riggins on both teams.

Alstott was defin a Riggins type of running back; Dergo not so much. Dergo was an incredible athlete with GREAT field vision and quickness. His wrestling background afforded him the aggressive running style he possessed. He ran like he his hair was on fire!!! Alstott was more the fire engine at the scene!

Alstott was defin a Riggins type of running back; Dergo not so much. Dergo was an incredible athlete with GREAT field vision and quickness. His wrestling background afforded him the aggressive running style he possessed. He ran like he his hair was on fire!!! Alstott was more the fire engine at the scene!
If you ever really wondered how good, strong & Fast NFL players are, I give you this: for not everyone here saw Alstott play that much in high school.

In high school Alstott actually used his speed more than his power and he was able to outrun most defenders and get around the corners due to his speed against top northern Illinois teams.

I also realize that the 40+ pounds of muscle he put on after high school probably slowed him a little bit, but he never out-speeded anybody during his NFL career.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAYC14
If you ever really wondered how good, strong & Fast NFL players are, I give you this: for not everyone here saw Alstott play that much in high school.

In high school Alstott actually used his speed more than his power and he was able to outrun most defenders and get around the corners due to his speed against top northern Illinois teams.

I also realize that the 40+ pounds of muscle he put on after high school probably slowed him a little bit, but he never out-speeded anybody during his NFL career.
Mike was a heck of an athlete back in high school (fantastic baseball player, too). On our 90 State Team (his junior year) our offense was much more balanced with Coach Stone. We had a nice balanced passing attack and 2 other backs that shared the carries. This prevented Mike from having the big stats/yards, but we ended up 14 and 0. Mike was a special football player that could have played anywhere on the field and both sides of the ball.
To this day, still the best work ethic I have ever seen from a high school kid.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I was shocked by an article that said his cousin or nephew played for Kaneland but never met Mike.The Alstott at Kaneland may still be in HS.

I was shocked by an article that said his cousin or nephew played for Kaneland but never met Mike.The Alstott at Kaneland may still be in HS.
He was class of 2019, pretty solid RB too. No idea where he’s going.

My dream matchup almost happened last year. After having some family play for both Marist and LWE I came to fondly root for both teams. Fondly is putting it lightly. Well for years I wanted to see these 2 teams square off and it came so close to happening last year but 2 CCL teams got in the way !!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT