ADVERTISEMENT

Your Best Three Sport School

LTHSALUM76

Aug 27, 2014
For the purposes of this thread, the three sports I have in mind are football, basketball and baseball. I am not talking about past titles. I am talking about right now. I mean, three sports where a school is solid in all.

Looking at the Sun Times, I see Loyola ranked number 14 in basketball. We all know they have an excellent football program. And they are also very good is baseball. H-F is at 13 and they also have an excellent football program. But, I don't know how they fair in baseball anymore.

Any thoughts?

For the purposes of this thread, the three sports I have in mind are football, basketball and baseball. I am not talking about past titles. I am talking about right now. I mean, three sports where a school is solid in all.

Looking at the Sun Times, I see Loyola ranked number 14 in basketball. We all know they have an excellent football program. And they are also very good is baseball. H-F is at 13 and they also have an excellent football program. But, I don't know how they fair in baseball anymore.

Any thoughts?
I would have to think Neuqua Valley may be the gold standard in the Southwest suburbs.

Any thoughts?

If you substitute track for baseball, ESL won the title in all three in 2019.

Last edited:

Any thoughts?
HF is still good in baseball. Hired John McCarthy from Brother Rice as the head coach a few years ago. He is an excellent coach.

A couple that come to mind are St Rita, Brother Rice and Niles Notre Dame. Smaller schools I would say Coal City.

Both Rita and Rice have baseball and football teams that could win a state championship along with pretty good hoops teams.

From down state Glenwood
#1 sectional seed in hoops
Semi finals in football and always one of the top teams in the state in baseball

Last edited:
Oswego and Oswego East should be really good in baseball this season, OHS basketball was ranked at one point, but fell on hard times as of late. OE might make a run in basketball, I think they are finally healthy.

Another mid-size school I'd add to the mix is Lemont. While they are not a state-contender in basketball, they are usually more than decent (17-10 this year). Baseball and football programs are excellent and contend for state titles.

As a side note, Lemont also won the 2A wrestling team title this weekend. They have an impressive all-around sports program.

HF is still good in baseball. Hired John McCarthy from Brother Rice as the head coach a few years ago. He is an excellent coach.

Yah they aren’t. Haven’t won a regional since 2012 and haven’t been to a regional final in 6 years. Maybe the new coach will turn it around.

Last edited:
Reactions: mullin17
Edwardsville comes to mind. So does PR. Not sure how either fairs in basketball though

Now that we have all woken up, ESL is the team right now for multi-sport domination

Edwardsville comes to mind. So does PR. Not sure how either fairs in basketball though
Edwardsville has some up down years in basketball. Not sure how it's been lately, Belleville W/ESL have been really good as of late.

Edwardsville has some up down years in basketball. Not sure how it's been lately, Belleville W/ESL have been really good as of late.

Edwardsville have been to state at least twice in the last 10 years. Edwardsville is pretty much a contender in ALL sports both girls and boys.

Reactions: missingwalter
How is Providence in basketball? They always seem to be good at football and baseball.

Montini should be in the mix. Montini was State champs in baseball and wrestling this past year. Always good to excellent at football with 6 state championships in the past and a lot of runner ups. The girls softball and basketball teams are always very good with a state championship in softball recently. Boys basketball -Meh. All in all, not bad for a school with a total of 664 kids.

Should we consider st Charles North? Went to state in football last year basketball is always competitive and baseball won state - and has won back to back swimming state titles
I was pretty sure that StC North won state too, but the IHSA site says Edwardsville..

Eville football is usually decent. Hoops had a strong program under Mike Waldo 30-years. Had a collection of great athletes recently - but they are usually very solid, but not always a contender.

baseball, almost always, they are good. Through several coaching regimes too.

Reactions: Gene K.

Any thoughts?

LA is more of a swimming school now. That and performing arts.

Eville football is usually decent. Hoops had a strong program under Mike Waldo 30-years. Had a collection of great athletes recently - but they are usually very solid, but not always a contender.

baseball, almost always, they are good. Through several coaching regimes too.
Yeah, we (Oswego) go down every year to the pre-season High school event.

MC has been very good at football and baseball (and wrestling) but the run in basketball has been rough. I always wondered if basketball players felt overshadowed by the success of other sports at the school.

Hmmm...
Coal City...Football Semis. Wrestling 2nd. Hoops Regional title. Baseball dropped to 2A after a 3A Regional final last year...

Lena-Winslow...Football champs...Hoops Regional title...Wrestling regional 2nd to champ Dakota...Baseball?

Mowequa Central...Football 2nd, Hoops Regional title...Baseball? No wrestling...

Sterling Newman...Football title, Regional Hoops title, Baseball? Regional champs last year

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
MC has been very good at football and baseball (and wrestling) but the run in basketball has been rough. I always wondered if basketball players felt overshadowed by the success of other sports at the school.
We’ve had our hoops teams over the years...1985....Walker Era....Tracy Abrams....but it’s really never been a sport the students or the Alums have rallied around. Attendance at the games is very low I hear. They’ve had some talent at the lower levels and this years Soph team went undefeated in the CCL, but the problems been retaining the talented players, they seem to leave for the CPS teams for their Varsity seasons.

Reactions: caravan8
EVILLE knocked off 60+ wins in a row starting my junior year ending my senior year.

https://eatonbaseball.com/documents/pdfs/60StraightWins.pdf?1581811200062

When it was 1A and 2A, us and them won the state titles that year.

They knocked off some damn good Belleville West teams that had two MLB’ers. EVILLE also had two ... we only had one.

In modern times, With 126 wins over the past four seasons, including a 37-5 record and a Class 4A state championship in 2019, the success of the Edwardsville baseball team is reflected in the number of ex-Tigers playing on the collegiate level.

With eight players from the class of 2019 signing baseball scholarships, EHS will have 23 players on the rosters of college teams this spring.

they probably have the most sought after player in the state returning too.

A few years ago this might have been easier because you had significantly more 3-sport guys. Now, its a rarity.

Lincoln Way East
Stevenson
Naperville Central
Mt Carmel
St Rita
Edwardsville
St. Charles North
Cary Grove
Huntley

Those are the ones I think of when you talk about the programs who of late have been most consistent in 3 sports. Each have their up and down years but in the past say 5 years those are the ones that deserve the praise as they have been consistent in a majority of sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT