ADVERTISEMENT

WSC Prediction Thread Wk 5 - You talking about Playoffs?

RD_Watcher

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2019
Finally, we have some Midwest Fall football weather in the forecast. Hopefully the thunderstorm and lightning delays are behind us for the season, and we can see some 7pm kickoffs.

The Week 5 GOTW is in the Gold Division, where Morton (2-2 Overall, 2-0 in Conference) will travel to Hinsdale South (1-3 Overall, 1-0 in Conference). Why is this the GOTW? Because the winner has a path to 5 wins, and a playoff birth; and the loser.... not so much. DGS could play spoiler for both.

Morton's remaining schedule - HS, OPRF, PE, DGS, Willowbrook. I'll give them a win against PE, and a very possible win against a DGS team that may have given up by week 8. That means they need this win to stay alive.

Hinsdale South's remaining schedule - Morton, DGS, Willowbrook, PE, Addison Trail. I'll give them 2 wins against PE and Addison Trail, but they'll still need to beat both DGS and Morton. Playing DGS next week may be a tougher matchup then what Morton has in WK 8. HS needs this win to stay alive.

Of course, the LT @ York is an interesting matchup, as we will find out more about this York team. Last week was their first real test, and they had trouble get started, before rolling through DGN. Friday night, I'll be at OPRF, which is one of my all-time favorite stadiums for High School Football.

Downers Grove North (3-1) @ Proviso West (0-4)
Lyons Township (2-2) @ York (4-0)
Glenbard West (4-0) @ Addison Trail (0-4)
Hinsdale Central (3-1) @ Oak Park River Forest (1-3)
Morton (2-2) @ Hinsdale South (1-3)
Proviso East (1-3) @ Downers Grove South (0-4)
Willowbrook (2-2) @ Leyden (1-3)

Last edited:
DGS runs the table and makes to the playoffs at 5-4. Don't see Morton beating DGS at home week 8.
It definitely could happen. DGS remaining schedule - PE, HS (at home), AT, Morton (at home), Leyden. But, as you said, they will need no missteps.

Downers Grove North (3-1)
York (4-0)
Glenbard West (4-0)
Hinsdale Central (3-1)
Morton (2-2)
Downers Grove South (0-4)
Willowbrook (2-2)

great threads! My kids disagreed with me the Morton pick. I’ll be honest - it’s a tough pick.
Id like to see them get a playoff spot!
DGS did not impress me last week
York LT may be close. I wouldn’t mind loosing that point, but I feel they’ll win at home.
Willowbrook should be fine, looking forward to rematch w York

Finally, we have some Midwest Fall football weather in the forecast. Hopefully the thunderstorm and lightning delays are behind us for the season, and we can see some 7pm kickoffs.

The Week 5 GOTW is in the Gold Division, where Morton (2-2 Overall, 2-0 in Conference) will travel to Hinsdale South (1-3 Overall, 1-0 in Conference). Why is this the GOTW? Because the winner has a path to 5 wins, and a playoff birth; and the loser.... not so much. DGS could play spoiler for both.

Morton's remaining schedule - HS, OPRF, PE, DGS, Willowbrook. I'll give them a win against PE, and a very possible win against a DGS team that may have given up by week 8. That means they need this win to stay alive.

Hinsdale South's remaining schedule - Morton, DGS, Willowbrook, PE, Addison Trail. I'll give them 2 wins against PE and Addison Trail, but they'll still need to beat both DGS and Morton. Playing DGS next week may be a tougher matchup then what Morton has in WK 8. HS needs this win to stay alive.

Of course, the LT @ York is an interesting matchup, as we will find out more about this York team. Last week was their first real test, and they had trouble get started, before rolling through DGN. Friday night, I'll be at OPRF, which is one of my all-time favorite stadiums for High School Football.

Downers Grove North (3-1) @ Proviso West (0-4)
Lyons Township (2-2) @ York (4-0)
Glenbard West (4-0) @ Addison Trail (0-4)
Hinsdale Central (3-1) @ Oak Park River Forest (1-3)
Morton (2-2) @ Hinsdale South (1-3)
Proviso East (1-3) @ Downers Grove South (0-4)
Willowbrook (2-2) @ Leyden (1-3)
Downers Grove North
York (4-0)
Glenbard West
Hinsdale Central
Hinsdale South
Downers Grove South
Willowbrook

Reactions: RD_Watcher
Downers Grove North (3-1)
York (4-0)
Glenbard West (4-0)
Hinsdale Central (3-1)
Morton (2-2)
Downers Grove South (0-4)
Willowbrook (2-2)

great threads! My kids disagreed with me the Morton pick. I’ll be honest - it’s a tough pick.
Id like to see them get a playoff spot!
DGS did not impress me last week
York LT may be close. I wouldn’t mind loosing that point, but I feel they’ll win at home.
Willowbrook should be fine, looking forward to rematch w York
I agree with you, IRT Morton. A good Morton program is better for the conference overall. Building a great football culture in the building is difficult in a losing program. They get a playoff spot, it could help change the entire program.

Lowly Trojans
LT
GBW
HC
HS
Finally I get to pick the Mustangs
Willowbrook

HC 38 - 20 over OPRF

HC gave up 2 Kick Off Returns for TDs. Offense looked much better; Defense looked out of sync in the 1st half, but made some great halftime adjustments.

On to DGN week.

I think the Gold needs to consider some changes to their school mix, or the Gold should discontinue the crossover games. I am surprised by the current state of AT, which has been a pretty scrappy team in past years. But the rest of the Gold is seriously overmatched and change is needed. Has anyone ever considered forming a coop team of Proviso East and West? I'm not sure a combined team will do any better, but someone needs to try something. I've always been a believer that sports at the high school level is an excellent learning tool for kids, and if not, it should be eliminated. But the learning experience at Silver teams is different from that of the Gold teams, at least after the crossover games, year in and year out.

I think the Gold needs to consider some changes to their school mix, or the Gold should discontinue the crossover games. I am surprised by the current state of AT, which has been a pretty scrappy team in past years. But the rest of the Gold is seriously overmatched and change is needed. Has anyone ever considered forming a coop team of Proviso East and West? I'm not sure a combined team will do any better, but someone needs to try something. I've always been a believer that sports at the high school level is an excellent learning tool for kids, and if not, it should be eliminated. But the learning experience at Silver teams is different from that of the Gold teams, at least after the crossover games, year in and year out.
Be careful what you wish for when making a coaching like Addison Trail did. Never should of hired within NO ONE WAS QUALIFIED TO BECOME A HEAD COACH!!!!

Great thread this week - I always enjoy interesting conversation about the WSC. While I'm disappointed in Morton's loss (as it all but solidified another losing season), I'm looking forward to more playoff impacting games in Wk 6.

We had two users go 7-0 this week - @Dual-triple_threat and @Duhawk44

Season Standings

T1 RD Watcher 31-4
T1 @Grepos 31-4

3 @Panthers1211

T4 @brucealmighy 29-6
T4 @Solid Snake Pliskin 29-6

6 @Dual-triple_threat 28-7

T7 @Little Kin 26-9
T7 @USD24 26-9

9 @MS4EVER 25-10

10 @Cross Bones 21-7

11 @WBWarriorWatcher 17-4

12 @Duhawk44 16-5

13 @Joseph Drake 15-6

14 @chuck998 13-1

Downers North (42) @ Proviso West (0)
Lyons Township (7) @ York (14)
Glenbard West (56) @ Addison Trail (0)
Hinsdale Central (38) @ Oak Park River Forest (20)
Morton (14) @ Hinsdale South (24)
Proviso East (14) @ Downers South (37)
Willowbrook (36) @ Leyden (7)

Reactions: Duhawk44
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT