ADVERTISEMENT

WSC Playoff Outlook

brucealmighy

Apr 30, 2006
6 teams playoff teams this year for the West Suburban Conference. 4 from the Silver and 2 from the Gold. 2 7A and 4 8A. Can this be the year the conference gets an 8A team back to the quarters?

7A
DGN- Should beat Lincoln Park in the first round and then get a home game vs Mt. Carmel in the second round. DGN seems to be on the rise but no chance against the Caravan.
Willowbrook- Down year for the Warriors. Rematch with Wheaton North in round 1. Can’t see them beating the Falcons.

8A
DGS- Finally back at the top of the conference but will be one and done in the playoffs Vs Palatine.
LT- Got a long awaited win over HC and closed with a nice win over DGN. Couldn’t quite hang with York or GW. Should have a good game with Naperville Central. One of the tighter first round matchups. Central has a good D. Low scoring game is a tossup but I would slightly favor NC given LT’s playoff history.
GW- Had their chances Vs the Dukes but couldn’t get it done. Seem to be getting healthy at the right time of the year. Rematch with Lockport. Hitters should get revenge this year and move on and be favorites Vs Glenbrook South or HF. Semifinal matchup with LWE is a realistic goal for the Hitters.
York- First undefeated season in school history and first WSS crown in a while. Tough draw again. Should be able to get by Oswego East but said that last year about Minooka from the same conference. Second round reward is either Naperville North or Marist. If they survive then Palatine or Minooka. Semifinal vs LA should be the goal.

Yeah GW & York have tough draws, esp. York. Last year York lost their starting QB mid-year & kind of limped home offensively. They seem to be rolling now and their DL will keep them in every game. That 2nd round matchup with Marist or NN will be a doozie. If GW can get even average QB play with minimal mistakes they’ll be tough. That monster kicker will again be a wild card if he’s not out kicking the coverage.

Yeah GW & York have tough draws, esp. York. Last year York lost their starting QB mid-year & kind of limped home offensively. They seem to be rolling now and their DL will keep them in every game. That 2nd round matchup with Marist or NN will be a doozie. If GW can get even average QB play with minimal mistakes they’ll be tough. That monster kicker will again be a wild card if he’s not out kicking the coverage.

This is exactly why The WSC has to shuffle the deck. Strong teams play strong schedules and lose a couple of games along the way. I hope the “chatter” about mixing the pot gains some Momentum.

Go Dukes… I think they are in good shape week 1… week 2 is gonna be rough.

My two cents for 8A
- LT has a chance, as NC appears to be struggling on offense (if you believe what others are saying in other threads). Plainfield North will be an extremely tough challenge in Rd 2, but will need some luck to fall their way.
- DGS may get clocked, as they struggled against all 8A teams they played this year
- GW will beat Lockport as they do well to take advantage of mistakes. They should be hoping for HF to beat Glenbrook South, though, as GBS has an offense similar to GWs. One of GWs biggest advantages is running the offense they do against teams that don't see that type much. It's hard to get ready for in one week. GBS in round two will take that advantage away.
- York really pulled a tough draw. I think they will handle Oswego East convincingly, but then Marist or NN in round 2? Let's focus on this week.
- DGN should beat Lincon Park convincingly. They should make sure to appreciate how cool it is to play in Lane Stadium, since they may get clocked in Rd 2 against Mt Carmel.
- Willowbrook has made the best of a very tough season of injuries and young players. Making it into the playoffs should be considered a win, and the goal should be to not get clocked against Wheaton North.

So - for the WSC, I think the best shot out Quarter Finals is, unfortunately, LT. GW also has a shot, but I really don't think either are as good or as well coached as York this year.

Playoff time is here and lets see what happens.
7A
DGN is a very solid team and will win week 1, but unfortunate MC is in 7A when they should be forced to play 8A. Trojans season ends in 2nd round
WB will get clocked and only in playoffs b/c of how weak the Gold division is.

8A
York will be interesting to watch. They have an explosive RB in Watson, good QB, and stud receiver #8. Their defense flies to the ball and will make it tough on opposing offenses. I think they are a team who will definitely win week 1, but could make it to the semis against Loyola.
GBW is very one dimensional and cannot pass the ball, so wont be surprised to see an early exit from the Hitters.
DGS will be in the same boat as WB
LT is an interesting team because they can do a lot of different things. They can run it and throw it on offense and the defense has been solid. I think the matchup round 1 vs. NC is one of the best in 8A this week.

Playoff football is really different from the regular season. Player attitude and mental discipline are increasingly important as you go from week 1 through week 5, as temperatures fall and friends move on to winter sports. Everyone has to really want to be at practice when it starts to snow. In the playoffs, coaching becomes even more important than it was in June. With that in mind, I predict a GW/York rematch in week 5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT