ADVERTISEMENT

Will Any CPS Teams Compete for a Title this Year?

In all honesty....I don't see it yet. CPL was impacted more from the COVID issues than anyone else just from a football only focus....Simeon has the best chance....Phillips still has some talent but with Troy McAllister gone (and also don't overlook the passing of DC Mike Larsen) not sure what to expect from Phillips right now. Kenwood has some FBS/FCS talent no question but can they physically position by position matchup with the better suburban powers? Morgan Park will be interesting to watch Chris James has a handful of really talented young kids and the Mustangs are heading in the right direction. Time will tell but for right now I don't see it.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
Thanks Edgy. Seems like the perennial CPS powers will have some issues this year. Taft lost its' coach as well, I believe?

Phillips won the Otis Wilson CPL 7 on 7 tournament this past week. I know Lincoln Park was there but not sure who else was there.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
CPL football talk in the summer?? Love it!
MP, Kenwood, Simeon, Phillips, Taft. Those schools are clearly the class of the CPL. CPL programs are heavily coach-dependent , so the biggest question marks will be Phillips and Taft with the new coaches in place. Pretty sure I read Taft retains their entire staff, not sure about Phillips. The bigger question with CPL is which schools will field teams after not playing in the spring season. I worry a lot might be gone forever.

MP, Kenwood, Simeon, Phillips, Taft. Those schools are clearly the class of the CPL. CPL programs are heavily coach-dependent , so the biggest question marks will be Phillips and Taft with the new coaches in place. Pretty sure I read Taft retains their entire staff, not sure about Phillips. The bigger question with CPL is which schools will field teams after not playing in the spring season. I worry a lot might be gone forever.
1000 percent great question.....

I think a few of the Phillips coaches went to Sandburg.

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
I think a few of the Phillips coaches went to Sandburg.
A chronicle of the Bronzeville to Orland Park odyssey (as it relates to a HS football season) would be quite interesting to read. Maybe someone should be logging it.

Yea. They went by total points and wins to determine places after the first 2. MP beat Clark to make it to the championship game. Phillips beat Lane. Both Lane and Clark ended up with a record of 3-1 & scored 88 pts
This is so CPL of them. Create an arbitrary rule to determine some, but not all, of the place finishers. The un initiated might find this strange, but the hard core CPL fans among us don't even flinch. At the end of the day, I'm just super happy we have what looks to be a normal CPL season...BRING ON THE THURSDAY 3:30 THURSDAY STARTS!

This is so CPL of them. Create an arbitrary rule to determine some, but not all, of the place finishers. The un initiated might find this strange, but the hard core CPL fans among us don't even flinch. At the end of the day, I'm just super happy we have what looks to be a normal CPL season...BRING ON THE THURSDAY 3:30 THURSDAY STARTS!
Just surprised they didn’t use max preps rankings to break the tie

Yea. They went by total points and wins to determine places after the first 2. MP beat Clark to make it to the championship game. Phillips beat Lane. Both Lane and Clark ended up with a record of 3-1 & scored 88 pts
What other teams were there?

my JCA constituents made a TikTok asking me to ask you guys whats going on with Simeon this year. Theyre kinda shy.

Reactions: USD24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT