ADVERTISEMENT

Why would you leap frog someone over JCA?

It's something I've been strong on forever. The reason why I am okay with schools leapfrogging JCA is because we're talking about proving it on the field by beating the other schools in the conversation and not trying to project what would happen in a hypothetical matchup. We all thought Loyola looked the strongest, but due to being 8A they had to prove it on the field. Lockport didnt necessarily look the strongest and I saw them close up. But they proved it on the field. So how much confidence do we put into "team X looks the strongest" vs "team X actually proved it on the field"? I am going with the latter 100% of the time.

Same reason I push back against crowning EStL, and I love that program. Hell, I like JCA. What I like more than anything is teams playing who they should play and seeing what happens.
Based on your theory, beating LA doesn't prove anything on the field other than LP probably can beat every team LA beat which is the CCL and Rochester. That said, LP would be Favored in 7A assuming St. Rita win (WN will have something to say about that) and favored in 5A assuming Fenwick win (Kankakee will have something to say about that). LP also proved that they are beatable by losing to LWE. In my opinion, the number 1 team has to be a team that hasn't lost to a team in the Chicago land. All other scenarios can be challenged without the opportunity of proving it on the field as any given team can't play everyone.

Reactions: Hofman and Gene K.
Based on your theory, beating LA doesn't prove anything on the field other than LP probably can beat every team LA beat which is the CCL and Rochester. That said, LP would be Favored in 7A assuming St. Rita win (WN will have something to say about that) and favored in 5A assuming Fenwick win (Kankakee will have something to say about that). LP also proved that they are beatable by losing to LWE. In my opinion, the number 1 team has to be a team that hasn't lost to a team in the Chicago land. All other scenarios can be challenged without the opportunity of proving it on the field as any given team can't play everyone.
So JCA is #1 in Chicago area and ESL #1 in the state?

This is my own post and I am sick of it already. You have all the worms crawling out of their holes and stating opinions like it "word". Then the real posters try to talk sensibly and they are attacked by these self righteous bastards. Ok so LA loses and Edgy asks us who should be #1. Don't people pay him for that info. Let's be honest here, we are talking off of the wrong starting point. LA has not been the #1 team in Chicago for many weeks. My God they beat a bunch of sophomores and Juniors from the crappiest LWE team in ten years by 2 points. Does that really sound like the #1 team? They were before their star got hurt but not lately. So Lockport, who I don't think was in the preseason top 20 or is the lucky team to beat the wounded #1. If you all think that makes them #1 then I'm ok with that. Let's end this god awful thread I was too stupid to start and please move on. Yes, I will say whatever Edgy wants. Lockport is #1.

Reactions: rjjtwest
Niles ND will be #1 in Chicago area after they win the Prep Bowl (that's some lighthearted humor for you BD's).

Reactions: epicbret
This is my own post and I am sick of it already. You have all the worms crawling out of their holes and stating opinions like it "word". Then the real posters try to talk sensibly and they are attacked by these self righteous bastards. Ok so LA loses and Edgy asks us who should be #1. Don't people pay him for that info. Let's be honest here, we are talking off of the wrong starting point. LA has not been the #1 team in Chicago for many weeks. My God they beat a bunch of sophomores and Juniors from the crappiest LWE team in ten years by 2 points. Does that really sound like the #1 team? They were before their star got hurt but not lately. So Lockport, who I don't think was in the preseason top 20 or is the lucky team to beat the wounded #1. If you all think that makes them #1 then I'm ok with that. Let's end this god awful thread I was too stupid to start and please move on. Yes, I will say whatever Edgy wants. Lockport is #1.
Second of all and most important I admit to you all that I was an idiot for trying to start an intelligent post. I am very sorry that for some reason I thought our board has changed I am sorry to all the regular posters.

Reactions: rjjtwest

So, I’m wondering which category, of those mentioned, am I being placed in. Am I a worm?? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Hofman and Gene K.
Well, we start with as many known quantities that we can. In this case LA being undefeated and a staple in largest class finals as well as wins over a number of the perceived top teams is the closest thing to a known quantity that we have. Using one data point is never optimal, but sometimes is the best thing we have. Luckily this year we got something that we almost never get when 4A powerhouse played 8A powerhouse, then played SHG (5/6A powerhouse) the next week. It confirms the theory of classes being "better" as they increase when Rochester got brutalized by LA. I have no choice but to extrapolate that to 4A excluding JCA since JCA already showed they can play with schools like Rice.

So, one can attempt to knock down the arguments for Lockport, but what would be their argument for another team?

Reactions: Hofman
All right, here is why JCA should be #1 in front of both Lockport and Maine South

Maine South lost to Palatine
Palatine lost to SCN
SCN lost to WWS
WWS lost to RIce
Rice lost to JCA

Lockport lost to LWE
LWE lost to Sandburg
Sandburg lost to Prospect
Prospect lost to Rita
Rita lost to MC
MC lost to Rice
Rice lost to JCA

See how easy and straight forward this is. Carry on!

Well, we start with as many known quantities that we can. In this case LA being undefeated and a staple in largest class finals as well as wins over a number of the perceived top teams is the closest thing to a known quantity that we have. Using one data point is never optimal, but sometimes is the best thing we have. Luckily this year we got something that we almost never get when 4A powerhouse played 8A powerhouse, then played SHG (5/6A powerhouse) the next week. It confirms the theory of classes being "better" as they increase when Rochester got brutalized by LA. I have no choice but to extrapolate that to 4A excluding JCA since JCA already showed they can play with schools like Rice.

So, one can attempt to knock down the arguments for Lockport, but what would be their argument for another team?
You and I rarely agree but you do know HS football. Hasn't it crossed your mind recently that LA really was not #1 since they lost their star? That is why I think that should be the base. Just because Edgy didn't want to drop them for some reason everyone should have known they were a ghost of #1 after the LWE game.

Reactions: Cross Bones

Considering the only thing 4A about JCA is the playoffs, you can't use the Rochester example. Cary has an argument as well. Both are undefeated and beat at least one 8A and 7A qtr final playoff opponent.

Reactions: Gene K.
All right, here is why JCA should be #1 in front of both Lockport and Maine South

Maine South lost to Palatine
Palatine lost to SCN
SCN lost to WWS
WWS lost to RIce
Rice lost to JCA

Lockport lost to LWE
LWE lost to Sandburg
Sandburg lost to Prospect
Prospect lost to Rita
Rita lost to MC
MC lost to Rice
Rice lost to JCA

See how easy and straight forward this is. Carry on!
Nice!
Problem solved!!

Just throwing this out there. SHG will be 3A in next few years. Multiplied to 4A

You and I rarely agree but you do know HS football. Hasn't it crossed your mind recently that LA really was not #1 since they lost their star? That is why I think that should be the base. Just because Edgy didn't want to drop them for some reason everyone should have known they were a ghost of #1 after the LWE game.
Definitely crossed my mind that Loyola wasn't the #1 team. I think a number of teams were capable of beating Loyola, but there is a difference between being capable and actually doing it and Loyola's track record of beating other top teams over the past decade is 2nd to none. LA and JCA both beat Rice, but after that you have to give the edge to Loyola's schedule handily. Both games with Rice were competitive. I don't necessarily look at the spread unless it indicates a game wasnt competitive. For example the LA and SHG scores against Rochester suggest there is a different level between SHG and LA. Unfortunately that is based on one data nugget which can be extremely flimsy, the only thing it's better than is no nugget at all. For example LWE... They lost to Sandburg which has to be astounding to Bolingbrook and Lockport fans considering both beat Sandburg decisively. LWE provided more data that showed they are more than likely similar to LP and Brook by beating both than they are like Sandburg.

So my thing is that there is a class or classes of schools that can be competitive with JCA and possibly beat them, they're just not in the classes. I have to reward the teams playing and beating other contenders.

Reactions: Hofman
Definitely crossed my mind that Loyola wasn't the #1 team. I think a number of teams were capable of beating Loyola, but there is a difference between being capable and actually doing it and Loyola's track record of beating other top teams over the past decade is 2nd to none. LA and JCA both beat Rice, but after that you have to give the edge to Loyola's schedule handily. Both games with Rice were competitive. I don't necessarily look at the spread unless it indicates a game wasnt competitive. For example the LA and SHG scores against Rochester suggest there is a different level between SHG and LA. Unfortunately that is based on one data nugget which can be extremely flimsy, the only thing it's better than is no nugget at all. For example LWE... They lost to Sandburg which has to be astounding to Bolingbrook and Lockport fans considering both beat Sandburg decisively. LWE provided more data that showed they are more than likely similar to LP and Brook by beating both than they are like Sandburg.

So my thing is that there is a class or classes of schools that can be competitive with JCA and possibly beat them, they're just not in the classes. I have to reward the teams playing and beating other contenders.
I think your argument is full of holes like when LA beat Rice they had their star player and do not now. At that time I agreed with all that LA was by far the best team in Chicago. What do you think JC would do to LA now if they played them before Lockport got the long straw?
But heh. I put a like on your post because your opinion is just as valuable as mine. I appreciate you taking the time to disagree with me.(that is not sarcastic) Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones.

This is what is wrong with worrying about rankings, and perception of program's strengths. Because SF and Phillips lost to " Farm Schools",( my words, not yours) your perception of the strength of JCA's playoff opponents is lessened?
Has nothing to do w “farm schools”. Plenty of great farm schools (Morris, Washington, Rochester, etc…)

They were just simply no match for JCA.

Has nothing to do w “farm schools”. Plenty of great farm schools (Morris, Washington, Rochester, etc…)

They were just simply no match for JCA.
Your taking my quote out of context, the issues was not about RB, it was about who JCA was supposed to play, a CCL school and the highest profile CPL school, instead of Genoa and RB. BTW, if I wasn't clear, I was defending JCA as well as GK and RB. Performance on the field has a lot more importance in my eyes, than ranking by all of us so called "experts" on this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: colin2229
I think your argument is full of holes like when LA beat Rice they had their star player and do not now. At that time I agreed with all that LA was by far the best team in Chicago. What do you think JC would do to LA now if they played them before Lockport got the long straw?
But heh. I put a like on your post because your opinion is just as valuable as mine. I appreciate you taking the time to disagree with me.(that is not sarcastic) Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones.
I don't know what would happen if LA played JCA now. JCA just struggled with Richmond Burton and people are saying they're missing some of they're top defenders. Being an 8A comparable team playing in 4A allows for things like that. None of my argument hinges on LA being the best team, it's all based on them being among the best teams. Unfortunately for people clamoring for JCA they now have to hype up an SHG that split the season series with Rochester.(both games decided by a single score). People can try to knock down putting Lockport at #1 all they want, but I'm not seeing much of an argument being made for someone else.

Reactions: corey90 and EdgyTim
No. Because they would still get destroyed by their regular season opponents. Methinks you are too much of a homer and not a rational thinker
Who is number one? I don’t know right now. I kind of think of the eight IHSA classes in three groups. 1A-3A as a group, 4A-5A as a group and 6A-8A as a group.

I’ve also posted earlier that I did not care about how many kids were on a sideline. Its only the 35 or so that actually play that count. Give me the right 30 kids and I might beat everyone in the state. So Sunday morning we will have 8 state champs. JCA will be one of them.

Who will be number one in the state?
Who is the best team in the state?

Two separate questions. Tough questions and not that easy to answer. What hurts JCA in my mind is their regular season schedule. They have no control their league portion. Brother Rice was highly rated all season. Had they not put all their marbles on the offensive side of the ball they may still be playing. For me it was not the fact they didn’t score enough in their losses, it was they didn’t get that defensive stop when they needed it. But you have to admit they were fun to watch as was JCA this season. That JCA/BR game is a good picture of both teams. Is JCA’s defense good enough to be the best team in the state?

Sunday morning the questions I will ask myself can JCA beat ESL? Could they beat the 7A and 8A winner? Could they beat them in three straight weeks. Could ESL do that or the 7A and 8A winner do that?

Regular season schedule from IHSA web site for JCA:

3-6 Cardinal Ritter
3-6 De LaSalle
3-6 Providence Catholic
3-6 Montini
4-5 St. Laurence
4-5 Benet
5-4 Simeon
6-3 Crete Monee
7-2 Brother Rice

Last edited:
Reactions: Taylornew24
Contributing only to point out that per Max Preps, Ritter is now listed at 9-6 and in their State's Semifinal game.

An interesting twist is that among their CCL/ESCC conference opponents, Benet was the only ESCC team that the Hilltoppers played.
Lastly, I really could not care less about who is rated where by whom.

Let's look at those - Jackson is no joke at 12'-0. St. Mary's - might have the second best guy in the area behind LB3. They still playing, KC Lincoln Prep is 11-1 and they lost to a 12-1 team in KY. They have not played cupcakes.
Let's look at those - Jackson is no joke at 12'-0. St. Mary's - might have the second best guy in the area behind LB3. They still playing, KC Lincoln Prep is 11-1 and they lost to a 12-1 team in KY. They have not played cupcakes.
Those are good teams and Cardinal Ritter got clocked in 3 of the 4 games. That is the issue. Losing is one thing, getting clocked is another.

YOu just have something against them. You said MO 3A like our 1A - not true. Ritter would compete with most anyone in IL - JCA did not abuse them.

Serious question. Have you seen any 3A team outside of Ritter in Missouri? If you haven’t, there is no reason to discuss further. Probably should watch videos on Owensville.

I have not - but Lemar in 2A ... they are something. I'm saying, MO football is better than you portray.
I never spoke on Missouri football as a state. I specifically mentioned 3A. 6a is very good. Most other classss are very watered down.

I am going out there again and picking Lockport over MS in an upset since the Sun Times had MS ranked higher. Go Porters!

Reactions: USD24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT