ADVERTISEMENT

Why do teams schedule Friday night games that they have to travel hours to play? Just play Saturday

Id rather drive on Friday and play. Saturday's suck.

As we move into November, the temperature is often 25-30 degrees warmer in the early afternoon than at night.
Given the choice I would prefer to have my team play in potentially warmer weather on Saturday afternoon versus a Friday or Saturday night.
Even if you believe you will play in the state championship game which might be at night, you still have to get there.
In my mind a high school team's ability to play at their peak level is more likely in warmer weather.

Team are creatures of habit. Some teams like playing at night (Fri or Sat) vs daylight .. they see it has a competitive advantage. It is all gamesmanship !

All.... Springfield High School wanted to play this Friday and Lemont agreed. Why? Unless The Senator coach (who is out after the the season) said ok if not then the earliest on Saturday 1pm. Ratsy

All.... Springfield High School wanted to play this Friday and Lemont agreed. Why? Unless The Senator coach (who is out after the the season) said ok if not then the earliest on Saturday 1pm. Ratsy

It’s Lemont doing the traveling, correct?

As we move into November, the temperature is often 25-30 degrees warmer in the early afternoon than at night.
Given the choice I would prefer to have my team play in potentially warmer weather on Saturday afternoon versus a Friday or Saturday night.
Even if you believe you will play in the state championship game which might be at night, you still have to get there.
In my mind a high school team's ability to play at their peak level is more likely in warmer weather.
I completely agree with this reasoning. Additionally, as this past week showed, if you have a chance for better weather, you take it. O’Fallon had to agree to drive up to Glenbrook South last Friday, and play in pouring rain. Not only did that play into GBS’s hand in depending on the run, it completely took away O’Fallon’s ability to pass the ball. Saturday afternoon was beautiful.

It’s Lemont doing the traveling, correct?

All.... Yes. Lemont really didn't have a problem with Friday. It's a three hour drive play Saturday bring the team down Friday and spend the night. Team meeting and meal in the evening while going over your opponent and rock and roll the next day. Don't think jumping off the bus after that ride and playing the game soon after is the way to go. Ratsy

Reactions: brucealmighy
I think it is a matter of preference. I doubt any team is showing up 30 minutes before game time either way. It is a tough sell for some areas to get hotel rooms for 60 plus kids and stay the night. I would imagine that is a nightmare for most admins as well. Most teams travel the day of regardles friday or saturday. They get there a few hours before. The kids would get a light workout in to get the body moving, then walk through, final dress, etc.
The one thing that I would worry about is if your team plays on friday all year is if you are going to get the same team on a saturday afternoon.
Just my thought

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT