ADVERTISEMENT

Who would you want to coach under?

sporthog9er

Jun 9, 2001
Little fun here. Name a current HS head coach you would want to coach under and why. Must be under someone else outside the main team you root for. Can name the position/coordinator if that determines the choice.

I'd go with Leonard. Would love to see the program from the inside to see how that success is sustained. Also feel like it is a close knit community with a ton of support.

I know it’s the team I follow but following Dave Lenti for a season with his preparation and film breakdown...it’s unmatched. For teams I don’t follow I have to go with Holecek or Bishop Macs Rich Zannini.

McCaravan. Why do you say that his prep and film review is unmatched?
Honestly not being cynical, but just curious looking at some great DCs over the last ten years.

Funny when I saw the thread and before I clicked on it I was thinking Leonard too but the father.

But either of them would be great!

After seeing offensive coordinator Lewis Borsellino at Montini who was under Inserra at Maine South, I would pick Inserra also.

McCaravan. Why do you say that his prep and film review is unmatched?
Honestly not being cynical, but just curious looking at some great DCs over the last ten years.
Well...His resume as a defensive coordinator is unmatched...he’s coached in 17 State Championship games and has 12 Rings... most people close to the MC program will agree his defense won the majority of those games. He’s been coaching for 34 years at MC, there isn’t anything he hasn’t seen. He also has 101 shutouts...unmatched.

Well...His resume as a defensive coordinator is unmatched...he’s coached in 17 State Championship games and has 12 Rings... most people close to the MC program will agree his defense won the majority of those games. He’s been coaching for 34 years at MC, there isn’t anything he hasn’t seen. He also has 101 shutouts...unmatched.
Not arguing AT ALL about him being one of the best to ever do it, but, to be fair, the players he's been blessed with also help with that.

Not arguing AT ALL about him being one of the best to ever do it, but, to be fair, the players he's been blessed with also help with that.
This is not a shot at any school or any catholic league coach but I would love to see how catholic schools coaches would pan out coaching at a public school. Same success ? Little success?

Last edited:
I have seen loads of games over his entire tenure and his defenses consistently account for field, formation and situation in all instances. Additionally, the players understand the game plans free of alignment uncertainties, therefore being set at the snap with their eyes directed properly. Also, they do not surrender free yardage due to undisciplined penalties and are not prone to individual after-the-whistle displays of "look at me" behaviors currently in vogue. Admirable across the decades and I represent a neutral observer.

This is not a shot at any school or any catholic league coach but I would love to see how catholic schools coaches would pan out coaching at a public school. Same success ? Little success?
Depends on the school. I would guarantee that his defense would still be very solid and disciplined. Just a question of getting out-athleted on plays here and there

also in no particular order, derek leonard, dave inserra, kerry martin, aaron kunz and chad hetlett. i gotta throw mark grounds in there too.

why? because i'm already friends with these guys. and mark is one of my best buds in the world.

all but one has at least one state title as head coach. the exception is grounds, but he did make it to the semis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Brian Spooner, Clifton Central. 22 years, 158-78, hall of fame. 2A Central's record would probably be better without the years having 3A Tolono Unity, St. Joe Ogden & Monticello in the conference, although Spooner would never complain. The Comets are always ready to play...possible 2A favorites this fall.

I admit to some curiosity about the story behind the achievements of the late and great Gary Korhonen from Richards. Anybody out in the forum have anything to contribute on this?

Reactions: The Outfit
I admit to some curiosity about the story behind the achievements of the late and great Gary Korhonen from Richards. Anybody out in the forum have anything to contribute on this?
From everything I’ve heard he was a great coach and better person. Richards territory included Robbins so they got some outstanding athletes out that area, nobody in that Conference could touch them until Tyrone Washington, a one man wrecking crew from Shepard, snapped their ridiculous winning streak in that conference.

Reactions: mates1
Defin Korhonen....others Gordie Gillespie, Dave Lenti, John Wren.

guys I wouldn’t want to coach for- the Me guys. The ones who you never hear give their assistants and kids the credit without prompting...

Derek Leonard- an absolutely genius but every interview and state title game looks to have his hands in everything? and. I have NEVER once heard him talk about his coaching staff.... is he like that? Anyone know what type of guy he is.
I know his dad is a real good guy... wonder if he fell too far away from the tree

Defin Korhonen....others Gordie Gillespie, Dave Lenti, John Wren.

guys I wouldn’t want to coach for- the Me guys. The ones who you never hear give their assistants and kids the credit without prompting...

Derek Leonard- an absolutely genius but every interview and state title game looks to have his hands in everything? and. I have NEVER once heard him talk about his coaching staff.... is he like that? Anyone know what type of guy he is.
I know his dad is a real good guy... wonder if he fell too far away from the tree
I know Derek a little from when my son played. In my opinion, he’s the real deal. Many of his assistants, Buecker, Nelson, Clarke, Smith, Tackett, and Corley, have been with him during most or all of his coaching tenure. He gives them a lot of the credit for the program’s success when talking to players, parents, and media.

At the end of each season, Derek recognizes each Senior at a team event and talks about them. What impressed me is that he will talk as much about and get choked up over the kid who played on special teams as the star QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT