ADVERTISEMENT

What team (besides the one you follow)do you expect to surprise us this season

I'm interested in seeing how Glenbard South does since they return a bunch of starters and are building a decent talent base in the program. They play in a weak closed conference but do play mainly 7A/ 8A schools while being a 5A school. I think they probably go 7-2 and make the quarterfinals.

Reactions: missingwalter
Well if if ESL goes 6A again, the surprise I’d see is if they don’t win back to back titles.

I think Plainfield East is going to make a little noise. They have a ton of talent coming back on offense. The 2021 group has never had a problem putting points on the board, their QB is mobile with a rocket arm on the run. They have some size and experience on the line and a really good receiving corp. led by Bright and Knowles. They do not play either Oswego team this year and are likely catching Yorkville and Minooka in down years. Also their second year coach should have a handle on what he has over there now.

In the Central State 8, Decatur MacArthur will be getting as transfers the two best players from Eisenhower, a QB and WR. MacArthur has been in the playoffs the last three years and can be a very tough out, especially at home. They have Rochester, Springfield, and Glenwood as home games. I think the new additions could push them to 6 or 7 wins.

Fenwick has a chance to surprise this year. They have a very good Jr. class led by QB Kaden Cobb, who is going to be very good in his second year on varsity. Keep an eye on the Friars.

Missingwalter.....what to do you think of Joliet West's chances to surprise? What do they have other than Howland? Their first four games are tough (Lockport/Minooka/Oswego/Oswego East), but I'm hearing they could take a step up this year.

Fenwick has a chance to surprise this year. They have a very good Jr. class led by QB Kaden Cobb, who is going to be very good in his second year on varsity. Keep an eye on the Friars.

Missingwalter.....what to do you think of Joliet West's chances to surprise? What do they have other than Howland? Their first four games are tough (Lockport/Minooka/Oswego/Oswego East), but I'm hearing they could take a step up this year.
JW was the team I hyped up last year. They have played Oswego tough at every level the last 3 seasons. They are big on the line and Howland has given us trouble. It's literally the game I think we fear the most. They will win that side of the division this year. Oswego needs to find some DT's and a good game plan to stop Howland. **on a side note, my son tells me, the JW kids are the friendliest group of kids they play each year.

In the Central State 8, Decatur MacArthur will be getting as transfers the two best players from Eisenhower, a QB and WR. MacArthur has been in the playoffs the last three years and can be a very tough out, especially at home. They have Rochester, Springfield, and Glenwood as home games. I think the new additions could push them to 6 or 7 wins.

All..... I recently heard possibly a TE as well. Another long season for the Panthers should football actually be played. Have the Rockets picked up any impact players for 2020? Ratsy

Reactions: rocketnation
All..... I recently heard possibly a TE as well. Another long season for the Panthers should football actually be played. Have the Rockets picked up any impact players for 2020? Ratsy
Rochester has a new Superintendent with a son who will be a Senior. I believe he played both Football and Baseball at his old school. Not sure of his position.

For a team that I think will surprise I’ll throw De La Salle name into the ring. Jason Moore is a really strong do everything player and very dangerous if he gets in the open. They have a D1 Linebacker heading to Iowa State and D1 DB. The Oline returns some talent and has good size and they have a returning QB I believe. They have a tough Catholic League schedule though. If they can upset someone that can really get them going. This has been a common tale with De in the past though, 3 or 4 really strong players with a so-so supporting cast.

Rochester has a new Superintendent with a son who will be a Senior. I believe he played both Football and Baseball at his old school. Not sure of his position.

All..... Looked him up. The kid is a stud baseball player (pitcher and a lefty) with a commit to Central Florida. Not sure if he played football in 2019 but when he did it was at rb and olb. Ratsy

Geneva will be better this year and possibly even better next.

When I mean better I mean overall talent wise...but they are still in a buzzsaw conference...they will not get blown out as bad, if at al as in years past.

No idea what happened at Geneva last year, they are bound to be better. Since we are on the DuKane and talking about surprises, I am putting my team out there.
Lake Park will surprise people and win five games this year. This is a program that has only won five games twice in the past ten years.
Also with two of our better players playing elsewhere this year, it will surprise a lot of people if we win five.
New coaching staff, good senior group, two winnable non-conference games (Maine West & LW-Central) and we will be one of the surprise teams of 2020.

Last edited:
No idea what happened at Geneva last year, they are bound to be better. Since we are on the DuKane and talking about surprises, I am putting my team out there.
Lake Park will surprise people and win five games this year. This is a program that has only won five games twice in the past ten years.
Also with two of our better players will be playing elsewhere this year, it will surprise a lot ofpeople if we win five.
New coaching staff, good senior group, two winnable non-conference games (Maine West & LW-Central) and we will be one of the surprise teams of 2020.
yeah, losing that safety is a tough loss.

Also with two of our better players will be playing elsewhere this year, it will surprise a lot ofpeople if we win five.
I thought about mentioning them. Where do you see their 5 wins coming from?

I'm also going to say that East Aurora will get back to the playoffs for the first time since 1982. Team was Jr dominated last year and their sophs were 7-2, also got a pretty good transfer from Waubonsee Valley.

Any other jr dominated teams from last year? I know Walter mentioned plainfield east, but north and south have a lot back too.

Any other jr dominated teams from last year? I know Walter mentioned plainfield east, but north and south have a lot back too.
Certainly, but I expect them to be playoff teams already. Oswego was Jr dominated as well. The 2021 class in that conference is fairly talented.

I'm wondering about Six Flags ... was it a group of studs then back to reality? Or do they have a beginnings of a legit program?
My understanding is that last year was THE year, but that this junior class is no slouch.

I thought about mentioning them. Where do you see their 5 wins coming from?
W's against Maine West, LW-Central, Geneva, and then go 2-4 vs. the rest of the DuKane. Batavia, SCN and WWS might be L's.
Go 2-1 against SCE, WN & GBN and we got 5.

I'm watching Grayslake North. I believe they have around 8 three year starters.

I believe the title says it all, but include a summary of why.

It's got to be better than talking about Covid.
If the season is played:

I think Forreston (three titles in the last six years) rebounds from a second round playoff loss last year to win the 1A championship this year.

Crete-Monee rebounds from a second round playoff loss to make the 6A semifinals this year.

Normal Community rebounds from an off-year (for them) to go undefeated in the regular season and make the 7A quarterfinals.

Waubonsie Valley rebounds from missing the playoffs last year, to winning a first-round playoff game this year.

@PowerI66

what are your thoughts on deems this year? Seems like they have a bunch coming back.
I'm assuming you are asking about Fremd? They should be pretty good. Strong chance they win the conference again as they had a strong sophomore group last year. All 3 LBs are returning, but losing Hipchen is massive. He covered so much ground on defense, and was really one of the only things that worked for them on offense last year. They are really lacking in size on the line, besides Walsh, which is a bad weakness to have. My guess is probably another second round exit.

Reactions: Bowie50
I'm assuming you are asking about Fremd? They should be pretty good. Strong chance they win the conference again as they had a strong sophomore group last year. All 3 LBs are returning, but losing Hipchen is massive. He covered so much ground on defense, and was really one of the only things that worked for them on offense last year. They are really lacking in size on the line, besides Walsh, which is a bad weakness to have. My guess is probably another second round exit.

What happened to Hipchen?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT