ADVERTISEMENT

What schools had the most disappointing season?

teye69

Jan 1, 2004
Trying to not upset anyone but interested in which teams where expected to make a splash in the pre season predictions but did not pan out. Just a discussion looking for others input.

Trying to not upset anyone but interested in which teams where expected to make a splash in the pre season predictions but did not pan out. Just a discussion looking for others input.
I for one, did not think for one second that you had bad intentions regarding this post. However, the members of this site who have been around for a long time, correctly forecasted that it would spawn inappropriate dialogue.

Reactions: Undercenter3rd1
If this were an adult message board there would be no issues. Well... it’s Not and it will be a ststorm. Take this down before it takes flight EDGY.

Reactions: Relist8
I’m sorry I just don’t understand why this subject is so taboo!Talking about a HS teams that had down yr or have had a bad run of yrs!All programs go up and down who cares,he’s not talking about individual players.

I’m sorry I just don’t understand why this subject is so taboo!Talking about a HS teams that had down yr or have had a bad run of yrs!All programs go up and down who cares,he’s not talking about individual players.
Experience tells us that threads going down this road quickly degenerate into condemnations of coaches and/or programs. This stands contrary to the spirit and intentions of this forum.

Because we're talking about high school football. It's not the NFL and D1 in some instances where you can buy the talent and build a team. For most high schools, it's what you get with each class and it's a crap shoot. Besides, kids don't need the pressure to succeed just to satisfy a bunch of old internet trolls like us.

Disappointing season is all relative 5-5 would be a master piece for Maine East and disaster for Maine South.

Kids know when they had a disappointing season but failure is part of life. Most put more pressure on themselves then some guys on a message board ever could. If they read this board they most likely laugh at it.

Because we're talking about high school football. It's not the NFL and D1 in some instances where you can buy the talent and build a team. For most high schools, it's what you get with each class and it's a crap shoot. Besides, kids don't need the pressure to succeed just to satisfy a bunch of old internet trolls like us.[/QUOTE
Disappointing season is all relative 5-5 would be a master piece for Maine East and disaster for Maine South.

Kids know when they had a disappointing season but failure is part of life. Most put more pressure on themselves then some guys on a message board ever could. If they read this board they most likely laugh at it.
My boys played on large 8a championship teams.Trust me they or their teammates don’t care what’s on this site.Pressure is from training all year and putting in so much time.When it doesn’t work out it hurts

Reactions: ClownBaby
The more I thought about this thread,it has to be Lincoln way east,after all of the rah- rah stuff throughout the season.

Too funny. 12-1 is a disaster at LWE but a banner year for Brother Rice to go 13-1 and have no title either. Adults really do ruin kids sports. Good post wasdo.

Reactions: Cat Box
The more I thought about this thread,it has to be Lincoln way east,after all of the rah- rah stuff throughout the season.
Although I do agree that the final game of our season was a disappointment, you’re nuts if you think our season was. What a great run! One game does NOT define a SEASON. For YOU however, It only defines your attitude and your feelings for your team. My attitude and those of all Griffins is that these boys gave their best and on a certain Saturday, it was just not their day. Always and forever a proud Griffin fan, rah - rah!!!!!!!!!

Loyola Academy had a disappointing regular season.

Something to think about - since Holecek became head coach LA has never played less than 12 games in a season. He is averaging 13.58 games a season. He has been the head coach in 59 post-season games - the equivalent 6.5 extra regular seasons. 59 extra weeks of practice.

Reactions: Bowie50
Although I do agree that the final game of our season was a disappointment, you’re nuts if you think our season was. What a great run! One game does NOT define a SEASON. For YOU however, It only defines your attitude and your feelings for your team. My attitude and those of all Griffins is that these boys gave their best and on a certain Saturday, it was just not their day. Always and forever a proud Griffin fan, rah - rah!!!!!!!!!
I agree lwe did have a good season,but not even close to winding up where the whole season of accolades was taking us . Close but no cigar! Winning isn't everything,it's the only thing - quote from Vince Lombardi,in case you never heard of him ,he was head coach for the Green Bay packers in the 50 s - 60s

I think if you ask anyone at Main west they had a great Yr! What about Taft making prep bowl!My son won a 8a state championship and lost in finals once.Its all fun!

Reactions: Cross Bones
I love this board. And just for fun...anything below 7A, or prep bowl games are fake games anyway. 8 man..might as well play horse for a basketball championship. Your perspective is everything. For that matter only undefeated teams should be called champions.

WIU78 and jcrewx7: You guys need to stop being so thin skinned. WIU, no one said the season for LWE was a disaster like you inferred. The title of the thread is, What schools had the most disappointing season?

So, the question is, what is the definition of disappointing? To some schools, getting to the playoffs is a good season. To others, winning four games is good. It all depends on what goals were the team had at the beginning of the season.

There is no question LWE's season ended up being disappointing, especially since many thought they were the best team in the state at any level. The best thing to do is ask the players. Then ask them 10 or 20 years from now. I guarantee, while they will say it was a good season, they will always know it ended up being a disappointment. That is how the conversation will always end.

Case in point. Many, many people felt Lockport had the best team in the state in 2004 at any level. They were ranked number 1 from preseason through week 9. Then, they looked past LWE in the opening round of the playoffs and got beat and were out of the playoffs. I don't think Lockport has beaten LWE since the regular season of 2004.

Anyway, a week of so after the entire fall sports season ended, the school had their Fall sports awards program at the LKPT East gym. The AD and a few other speakers went on and on about what a wonderful season the football team had because, for the first time in history they had gone 9-0 during the regular season and won the conference. I'll never forget a parent of one of the players was sitting behind me and said to his wife "who gives a f***? They lost their first playoff game."

So, you guys go talk to the kids from that 2004 team and ask them if they think the season was a disappointment and see what they say. Not one of them will say anything else besides it being disappointing.

There is nothing personal about the question and I think it's a fair question. As to who had the most disappointing season? That is open to discussion.

And THAT LTHS is exactly why the participants should determine the answer to the question. 100% agree with what you have said but by having adults on this board debate it makes no sense. Said it Monday as well when the thread was started. These are young kids who also read about their overall performance. JCrew has a son who played on a team that lost 1 game in two years.

WIU78 and jcrewx7: You guys need to stop being so thin skinned. WIU, no one said the season for LWE was a disaster like you inferred. The title of the thread is, What schools had the most disappointing season?

So, the question is, what is the definition of disappointing? To some schools, getting to the playoffs is a good season. To others, winning four games is good. It all depends on what goals were the team had at the beginning of the season.

There is no question LWE's season ended up being disappointing, especially since many thought they were the best team in the state at any level. The best thing to do is ask the players. Then ask them 10 or 20 years from now. I guarantee, while they will say it was a good season, they will always know it ended up being a disappointment. That is how the conversation will always end.

Case in point. Many, many people felt Lockport had the best team in the state in 2004 at any level. They were ranked number 1 from preseason through week 9. Then, they looked past LWE in the opening round of the playoffs and got beat and were out of the playoffs. I don't think Lockport has beaten LWE since the regular season of 2004.

Anyway, a week of so after the entire fall sports season ended, the school had their Fall sports awards program at the LKPT East gym. The AD and a few other speakers went on and on about what a wonderful season the football team had because, for the first time in history they had gone 9-0 during the regular season and won the conference. I'll never forget a parent of one of the players was sitting behind me and said to his wife "who gives a f***? They lost their first playoff game."

So, you guys go talk to the kids from that 2004 team and ask them if they think the season was a disappointment and see what they say. Not one of them will say anything else besides it being disappointing.

There is nothing personal about the question and I think it's a fair question. As to who had the most disappointing season? That is open to discussion.
You lost me at thin skinned. When I get a text that extends beyond the bottom of the screen....

I am a huge LWE fan. That said East had a very good season but very disappointing ending. I still believe they were the best team but didn’t win State. If you asked the players now or 40 years from now they would tell you they didn’t finish it.
Disappointing for the fans and the players.
That said their is next year except for the seniors.
Go East be proud but don’t forget the disappointment.

Parents are the ones who can’t get over it!The players have a bond for life!Most of them get over it.LWE still has another shot a this,they will be ranked no1 at the start of the season.

Reactions: Gene K.
Loyola Academy had a disappointing regular season.

Something to think about - since Holecek became head coach LA has never played less than 12 games in a season. He is averaging 13.58 games a season. He has been the head coach in 59 post-season games - the equivalent 6.5 extra regular seasons. 59 extra weeks of practice.

And 59 extra weeks of nutrition.

Reactions: Gene K. and Bowie50
they will be ranked no1 at the start of the season.

Twenty-five years from now, when they're at a reunion, none of them will look back proudly and say, "We were number one in the preseason."

One of the posters quoted Vince Lombardi -- how true!

How about Prairie Ridge and Johnsburg ?

Also, Crystal Lake South as they had two Division I Offensive linemen playing 6A but inconsistent winning big one week then getting beat the next against a lesser opponent .

Twenty-five years from now, when they're at a reunion, none of them will look back proudly and say, "We were number one in the preseason."

One of the posters quoted Vince Lombardi -- how true!
We generally talk at our reunions about how our lives have changed, families, careers etc. I kind of feel bad for you if you are talking about previous year's football rankings at your reunions sir. Bruce Springsteen wrote a song about it called "Glory Days", might want to check it out or is that considered hip-hop or bubble gum pop to a man your age? Have a great day!

Reactions: Undercenter3rd1
Actually I’m amazed by Lockport.
Not that this was necessarily a season of great expectations but, I can’t get over how far they have fallen.
They still field excellent wrestling and baseball teams so there are still a lot of athletes there.
I assume the turnover of the coaching staff in the past 10 years or so must have a lot to do with it??

We generally talk at our reunions about how our lives have changed, families, careers etc. I kind of feel bad for you if you are talking about previous year's football rankings at your reunions sir. Bruce Springsteen wrote a song about it called "Glory Days", might want to check it out or is that considered hip-hop or bubble gum pop to a man your age? Have a great day!

I thought you were still a student.

Actually I’m amazed by Lockport.
Not that this was necessarily a season of great expectations but, I can’t get over how far they have fallen.
They still field excellent wrestling and baseball teams so there are still a lot of athletes there.
I assume the turnover of the coaching staff in the past 10 years or so must have a lot to do with it??
IMHO they are well-coached, sound in scheme and do not make more mistakes than most anyone else. Usually somewhat undersized across the board in the trenches, but seemingly good contributions from their wrestler kids. Appear to be lacking an offensive athlete or two both to get some chunk plays and move the chains. The latter puts them in field position disadvantages along with having their defense (some 3rd level speed deficits) on the field too much. Finally, with their big enrollment, they end up playing 2 or 3 out of the LWE, H-F and Bolingbrook gauntlet in conference games. Not sure all of what they have returning next season, but their starting QB returns and he should be a nice centerpiece from I what I saw in '18.

How about Prairie Ridge and Johnsburg ?

Also, Crystal Lake South as they had two Division I Offensive linemen playing 6A but inconsistent winning big one week then getting beat the next against a lesser opponent .
South is looking better than the last few years.
PR graduated a lot of talent and can't recruit. I think they had a good season!

Says the guy who is posting on a high school football message board.

Reactions: MC63
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT