ADVERTISEMENT

What is the origin of your handle?

When I was on the job, I was the house geezer, so everyone called me Blue, after the the geezer in the movie "Old School." But now I'm just a ruination of my former self, which put me in mind of another movie, a little-seen masterpiece on Netflix called "Blue Ruin." The same guy made "Green Room," another obscure masterpiece on Netflix.

Last edited:
Reactions: eireog
Eireog is loosely translated as young Ireland or even a son of Ireland. Éire is Gaelic goddess(Ireland) og , can be translated as young or son. Young Ireland was a political movement for Irish nationalism in the mid? 1800’s. Being from a long line of Irish nationalists that finally gave up and arrived here in the mid 1960’s, I figured it to be the perfect moniker for a message board that would have no idea what it meant.

No, handle honestly has nothing to do with "that" particular connotation of "woody."

I was born and raised in Wilmington.
To keep it PC I’ll iust leave it at Wilmington and Kentucky have many similarities. Therefore Wilmatucky!

This concept is fairly common around here.. Lots of locals refer to Manteno as Mantucky for similar reason...

And to add to my earlier post...I was also on the committee that organized the Manteno Youth Football League, the Wildcats...the saying goes that in Manteno Wildcats grow up to be Panthers...growing up to be Irish is frowned upon...:cool: And my stepson and his Wilmo teammate friends, where Bobcats grow into Wildcats, don't appreciate it when I tell them they can grow up and be Panthers too...o_O

Started out on the old Tribune message board as goramblers back around 96 or 97. Came here first as goramblers, but quickly changed to ramblinman because of my penchant for the Ramblers, for being verbose and because I like the Allman Brothers. I like Zeppelin too, so I probably could have easily been ramble on.

Tryin to make a livin and doin the best I can.

I remember goramblers. With a couple of these admissions it makes me think some of the old schools guys may still be here under a new name.

Back when you had to type in your name on every message I would alternate between Bbrook Guy and DGS Guy depending which team I was discussing. Pretty sure up until recently my name in the bracket challenge was still Bbrook Guy.

Hill for Hill Traffic Does Not Stop
Illini for I believe in Josh Whitman
74 Big fan of Bob Lilly

Way back there was a poster with the handle AMB of Quam. Would love to know the story behind that one

Eireog is loosely translated as young Ireland or even a son of Ireland. Éire is Gaelic goddess(Ireland) og , can be translated as young or son. Young Ireland was a political movement for Irish nationalism in the mid? 1800’s. Being from a long line of Irish nationalists that finally gave up and arrived here in the mid 1960’s, I figured it to be the perfect moniker for a message board that would have no idea what it meant.

I really like your avatar, Shane MacGowan. The whole band is great. They have at least a dozen songs, maybe even a score or more, that I listen to religiously. I use that last word very loosely, since I fell from grace with God a long time ago.

Last edited:
This concept is fairly common around here.. Lots of locals refer to Manteno as Mantucky for similar reason...

And to add to my earlier post...I was also on the committee that organized the Manteno Youth Football League, the Wildcats...the saying goes that in Manteno Wildcats grow up to be Panthers...growing up to be Irish is frowned upon...:cool: And my stepson and his Wilmo teammate friends, where Bobcats grow into Wildcats, don't appreciate it when I tell them they can grow up and be Panthers too...o_O

I know I have seen you post about the stepson before.....Who was he? What year did he play?

I figured it to be the perfect moniker for a message board that would have no idea what it meant.

eireog:

How right you were.

At first glance, I thought the image you have affixed to your profile was an an artist's representation of a badly-decomposed Ian Curtis, the late lead singer of Joy Division. The likeness is striking for one who can put a name to Curtis (few here are able), and who can conceptualize how Curtis would appear in such a rotting state. Naturally, you can imagine my relief when you responded to my inquiry, imparting the picture was not of Curtis, but of Shane MacGowan.

I reluctantly admit I have yet to listen to his music as you gently recommended, but I did do some perfunctory research on MacGowan. He looks better today even in a wheelchair than he does in your profile picture and I marvel how MacGowan has reached the age of 60 after living a life besieged by alcohol.

eireog:

I reluctantly admit I have yet to listen to his music as you gently recommended, but I did do some perfunctory research on MacGowan. He looks better today even in a wheelchair than he does in your profile picture and I marvel how MacGowan has reached the age of 60 after living a life besieged by alcohol.
Different people, different chemistry and DNA. There are people who smoke and drink every day and live into their 90s. And, I knew someone who never smoked, quit drinking 35 years ago, had a pretty good diet, was always slim and trim, walked at least 20 to 30 miles a week and died of colon cancer at age 58. Go figure.

I know I have seen you post about the stepson before.....Who was he? What year did he play?

Grad 2017 - he was the soph starting left tackle & DE as a 210 pound frosh & 230 pound soph, his 285 pound cousin was the frosh RT. He started on the soph hoops both years as well. He was very asthmatic & COPD - and allergic to grass, pollen and everything else that makes breathing hard in August. Probably would have been the 2 year varsity left tackle as well, but his breathing got so bad before his junior year he took the season off - and discovered that he could breathe when he wasn't rolling around in the grass a couple hours every day...Reents buried him on the roster when he went back out as a senior...

The 2017 all-state tackle (a year younger than him) would have been behind him - or more likely pushed to guard. HIs cousin suffered a career ending non-football head injury before playing a game as a soph. Think about it...how good would have that 2016 Wildcat team led by Owen Weaver have been if its bookend 280 pound tackles not been lost to physical ailments...Do they beat IC? Probably not, but the game is closer with fresher DL to chase Rowell & Ricobene.

It was an old name I used on some college football forums back in the day. I couldn't think of a name and noticed that there was a digital camera on my desk and Iowa State's mascot Cy was on my computer screen. DigitalCy used to be a troll before trolling was a thing

eireog:

How right you were.

At first glance, I thought the image you have affixed to your profile was an an artist's representation of a badly-decomposed Ian Curtis, the late lead singer of Joy Division. The likeness is striking for one who can put a name to Curtis (few here are able), and who can conceptualize how Curtis would appear in such a rotting state. Naturally, you can imagine my relief when you responded to my inquiry, imparting the picture was not of Curtis, but of Shane MacGowan.

A lesser man would have buckled under the abuse he inflicted on himself. He’s one of a kind.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
It was 2003 and I was experimenting with mushrooms. Now in times like these you're going to want to be in the best environment possible. My preference? Outdoors; with a few of your best of friends who can help should any part of the day turn for the worse.

On this particular day we were out in the desert and I came across a lizard. It was an ordinary enough looking lizard, but as I stared intently at it it suddenly turned and looked back at me. We locked eyes, saw into each other's souls. I suddenly and completely understood what it was like to live life as a lizard. I waved. It waved back. Our moment ended as abruptly as it began and I walked away.

Few minutes later I thought to myself how ridiculous that moment was. Human and reptile, acknowledging each other. Two fellow animals recognizing that we're all just clumps of cells speeding around space on some random rock. I chuckled, recognizing the raised level of consciousness I was currently inhabiting and the connection we had ever so briefly made.

Thought to myself "Shit, that must have been one stoned lizard."

LOVE following High School Sports on the South side. No matter the sport I am looking up scores for BR Marist Rita MC etc. With that being said i am a South land Fan

Reactions: go_rice
Back around 2000 I had two sons at Com (before the acronym CoM came into use here), my handle was 2atchs. Got banned during some of the heated public vs. privates discussions, and came back years later as Oddy, a nickname an older brother gave me, it's similar to my real first name but more descriptive... BTW, good to be back here for another season of HS football. I still love it.

Reactions: Gene K.
Back around 2000 I had two sons at Com (before the acronym CoM came into use here), my handle was 2atchs. Got banned during some of the heated public vs. privates discussions, and came back years later as Oddy, a nickname an older brother gave me, it's similar to my real first name but more descriptive... BTW, good to be back here for another season of HS football. I still love it.

I am sure you learned your lesson. Lol
Welcome back. You know big brother “Edgy” is always watching. I am sure I have come close myself. I found Edge Man to be fair unless you cross the line. As I have aged I realize it’s not worth getting coated into a reaction I will regret. Stay away from Religion, Politics, calling out kids or coaches and unless you have something good to say about someone don’t post names. Other than that use common sense.

I am sure you learned your lesson. Lol
Welcome back. You know big brother “Edgy” is always watching. I am sure I have come close myself. I found Edge Man to be fair unless you cross the line. As I have aged I realize it’s not worth getting coated into a reaction I will regret. Stay away from Religion, Politics, calling out kids or coaches and unless you have something good to say about someone don’t post names. Other than that use common sense.
Yea, I didn't think it was warranted, but no hurt feelings. Funny thing is my youngest son is now on the coaching staff of the school I had the argument with.

The year I started working at our HS, the gentleman who was the PA announcer for football left for another school.

I asked our AD if I could try it, he said 'Sure' and I've been fortunate enough to have done it since the 2001 season. It in no way, however, means I'm the spokesperson for our school's football program.

As an aside, the two hardest parts of doing the PA for football? Reading the names of your two nephews during the Senior Night ceremonies. Making a proud uncle choke up a little when he's trying to do his job :)

Other proudest moment? Don't want to tick off the MC people, but De La Salle 21, Carmel 14 in October 2017 at Rita. Hearing our kids sing the fight song after that game...chills.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT