ADVERTISEMENT

What I'm hearing on the potential spring football season.....

Will there be lower level games as well or will they be the sacrificial lamb.

One example of a thousand that we deal with. Not made up. How many male athletes hit a growth spurt from between 14-16? How many need time in training to develop coordination. My point being is that specifically for the sport of tackle football, playing GAMES, not 7 vs 7, in May and June and then coming back and doing it again in August is not in the best interest of the student-athletes. Of course not all of them are as tough as lets say...you.

Why did the IHSA stop Wednesday playoff games? 9-14 games, even 5-7 require rest and recovery. 9 weeks of football ending in June followed by 9-14 weeks in August - November is too much. That's why the season has to be played in March and April.

Fully agree. Combined with the potentially devasting impact on other sports in the metro and out of the metro, many schools may not be able to field a team if football is a "summer" sport.

Why did the IHSA stop Wednesday playoff games? 9-14 games, even 5-7 require rest and recovery. 9 weeks of football ending in June followed by 9-14 weeks in August - November is too much. That's why the season has to be played in March and April.

To try to compare the difference between 3 days rest and 3 months “rest” isn’t even worth the argument. Using a “growth spurt” as an example just further proves the point on how their bodies are remodeling and making new tissue. This is what allows a young person to bounce back quicker than say a 30yr old. Growth spurts don’t only occur in June They happen during the season, we don’t take time out to train to the ever evolving body type. I appreciate your concern for the athlete but your argument is based 100% off conjecture with no science backing behind it. We’ve had enough of that the past 11months

Reconditioning is only thing that will keep many from hitting straight through from February til November if option is there.

Reconditioning is only thing that will keep many from hitting straight through from February til November if option is there.
Precisely why football will be March and April and not in May and June. Have to save the meatheads from themselves.

Reactions: mc140
Enough with the recovery time. Try to remember your teenage body, not our old and creaky bones. They’ll be fine. Play until May, take 6 weeks off to “recover” which they’ll do partying, then get back at it.

As I said earlier my kid played Rugby in March in shorts and a short sleeve shirt, the fields will be fine, the same as they would be in November.

Nobody is forcing these kids to play. They want to skip the shortened Spring and wait to Fall, fine. Some of these kids it’s their last chance to wear the uniform after 4 years of work, most will want to play. This is what we wanted, we may very well get it, now people are saying it won’t happen....settle down and wait and see.
Played rugby in March after finishing football in late November. How did he recover so quickly?!? Oh, that's right, he was 17. Hell, give these boys 3 weeks and they'd be ready to start another season.

Reactions: NDSox and McCaravan
Played rugby in March after finishing football in late November. How did he recover so quickly?!? Oh, that's right, he was 17. Hell, give these boys 3 weeks and they'd be ready to start another season.
I think it is more mental than physical. Might end up losing the non starters as time off is shortened. Resulting in less players.

If football is played I wonder what the playing surfaces will be like especially the turf fields since the tire rubber under will be frozen.
All they need to be is cleared off of any snow, practiced in February for other sports and once the sun is on it there is no problem, issue will be schools that don't have these facilities yet trying to get work in on either still frozen grass fields or saturated from spring rains, and what shape these fields will be in in August. Glad there is a light at the end of the tunnel and fingers crossed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT