ADVERTISEMENT

What I'm hearing on the potential spring football season.....

YDFan_2000

Jul 29, 2020
Goal is to start having games the first weekend of March, but chance it may get moved back two weeks contingent if they try to squeeze in more games for the basketball season. Games in March and early April will be played on Saturdays during the day in hopes of warmer weather. Games in mid April and potentially early May will be played on Friday nights. Season will consist of 6-7 games and be primarily conference games. If there are some schools in a particular conference not participating in the spring season or in a region that is not in Phase 4, then the AD will look for an additional game. As of now, no plans for any playoffs or state championship (hopefully that will change). If they allow football games to overlap w/ baseball season then I can see there being playoff games and a state championship. Only 50 spectators allowed at games but I am very hopeful that will change as well since football teams traditionally have more parents at games and since games are played outdoors.

Of course anything can change. Goal is to get into Phase 4 and stay there. As I hear more I will keep you posted.

Reactions: IgorStL and EdgyTim
If football is played I wonder what the playing surfaces will be like especially the turf fields since the tire rubber under will be frozen.

Was hearing growing momentum from some school officials of letting the outside traditional spring sports just go in March like normal to have a fuller season after last year not having one, with thought of trying to get back to normal for spring and go forward. I wonder if that philosophy suddenly changed after yesterday.

Was hearing growing momentum from some school officials of letting the outside traditional spring sports just go in March like normal to have a fuller season after last year not having one, with thought of trying to get back to normal for spring and go forward. I wonder if that philosophy suddenly changed after yesterday.

That was when everyone was waiting for bball and football to be cancelled on the 27th.

Sorry but no..... season is going to be pushed back to May.
Season will not be played in May. Underclassmen will not be recovered by August/Sept. with a May/June season. They would be more likely to cancel the season then bump it to May.

Reactions: Jenny27
Season will not be played in May. Underclassmen will not be recovered by August/Sept. with a May/June season. They would be more likely to cancel the season then bump it to May.
correct. The season will be pushed to may but will not take place.

correct. The season will be pushed to may but will not take place.
This scenario you state could turn out to be true. This "covariant" virus strain might spread more easily as to spike the numbers to unacceptable levels and/or be more resistant to current vaccines. Furthermore, continued vaccine roll-out delays and/or inoculation opt-outs could be more severe than expected. Hope for the best, yet prepare for the worst?

Enough with the recovery time. Try to remember your teenage body, not our old and creaky bones. They’ll be fine. Play until May, take 6 weeks off to “recover” which they’ll do partying, then get back at it.

As I said earlier my kid played Rugby in March in shorts and a short sleeve shirt, the fields will be fine, the same as they would be in November.

Nobody is forcing these kids to play. They want to skip the shortened Spring and wait to Fall, fine. Some of these kids it’s their last chance to wear the uniform after 4 years of work, most will want to play. This is what we wanted, we may very well get it, now people are saying it won’t happen....settle down and wait and see.

Something to keep an eye on...

university of Michigan just shut down sports for two weeks bc of a new strand of the virus on campus.

we shall see what happens here...

If the trajectory of in-person learning in the public HS districts keeps progressing in the positive direction, it would seem the chances of playing FB this school year exist. Absent that, I can't see it happening.

If the trajectory of in-person learning in the public HS districts keeps progressing in the positive direction, it would seem the chances of playing FB this school year exist. Absent that, I can't see it happening.
Why? Low risk sports were held this past fall under the current learning schedules, why would the in-person schedules have to change to compete in football? They won’t.

Have to be at the point to at least try to play football and see what happens. 42 states played their season w no issues.
That’s all the data you need.

All.... Does anyone know if a master schedule is available for all teams in Illinois on the seven game schedule that was proposed.? 8 to 18, Hudl and MaxPreps aren't really in sync. Ratsy

Recovered from what? They could have surgery in may and be “recovered” to play football in august. Other states play 2 football seasons. Do they have different 16yr old physiology than illinois 16yr olds?

Enough with the recovery time. Try to remember your teenage body, not our old and creaky bones. They’ll be fine. Play until May, take 6 weeks off to “recover” which they’ll do partying, then get back at it.

As I said earlier my kid played Rugby in March in shorts and a short sleeve shirt, the fields will be fine, the same as they would be in November.

Nobody is forcing these kids to play. They want to skip the shortened Spring and wait to Fall, fine. Some of these kids it’s their last chance to wear the uniform after 4 years of work, most will want to play. This is what we wanted, we may very well get it, now people are saying it won’t happen....settle down and wait and see.
Speak for yourself:

May is already in the plan. The original September plan is what is already in movement. Fall sports March/April, spring is may/June. That won’t changes unless Covid hits again. They won’t cancel spring.

May is already in the plan. The original September plan is what is already in movement. Fall sports March/April, spring is may/June. That won’t changes unless Covid hits again. They won’t cancel spring.
And your getting this info from....? If this was the plan it would have been announced.

A May start is not in the plans, trust me. At most a 2-week delay w/ a start in mid March and will end in early May. They want to have a 4-5 week baseball season where they can play 17-20 games as that will start in May.
Expect the football games to be extremely “senior” heavy in terms of playing time. Coaches know this is it for them. Currently with no play for playoffs or state championship, some coaches will not not want to overuse their stud Sophs or Juniors and risk them getting hurt and missing the fall season.
We all know the boys, coaches, and parents NEED this spring season as it’s been a very tough 11 months. The season will be fun, memorable, but possibly not as competitive knowing there will not be a state championship. Either way let’s just enjoy these boys playing and so happy for the seniors to play a few more games before they “hang up their cleats” and m

A May start is not in the plans, trust me. At most a 2-week delay w/ a start in mid March and will end in early May. They want to have a 4-5 week baseball season where they can play 17-20 games as that will start in May.
Expect the football games to be extremely “senior” heavy in terms of playing time. Coaches know this is it for them. Currently with no play for playoffs or state championship, some coaches will not not want to overuse their stud Sophs or Juniors and risk them getting hurt and missing the fall season.
We all know the boys, coaches, and parents NEED this spring season as it’s been a very tough 11 months. The season will be fun, memorable, but possibly not as competitive knowing there will not be a state championship. Either way let’s just enjoy these boys playing and so happy for the seniors to play a few more games before they “hang up their cleats” and m
I don't know if you have a source from ihsa or not, but I just dont see that plan happening

The spring season is happening. Whether its 5 games or 7 depends on how quick the ENTIRE State is in Phase 4 or lower. There will be no State series but thats cool as long as we get to play this year. The biggest hurdle is whether or not CPS will play. Each school will have the option to opt out this season and come back in the fall. Some CPS schools and charters will take this route if High schools are not back in some form (hybrid or full).

I don't know if you have a source from ihsa or not, but I just dont see that plan happening
Confused? What don’t you see happening? We all know nothing is 100% certain and the regions must get to and stay in phase 4. But if so, they will play a 6-7 game season with a start in March. Not sure why you think that won’t happen?

Your three main continued fall sports are football, soccer and volleyball. There is a wave of small school conferences which don't play football. Might there be a movement for some of those conferences to play a longer basketball season? Or start spring sports at the normal time?

Lets use the Kankakee area River Valley Conference as an example. Eight schools are members, none play football & Their football co-ops have all died. Donovan, Crete Ilinois Lutheran, and Cullom Tri-Point don't play soccer - their fall sports are cross country and/or golf. Grant Park, St. Anne, Beecher, & Kankakee Grace Christian play soccer; Gardner S-W co-ops with Reed Custer. Half the conference played their fall sports in the fall and have nothing to play in the second fall season. Gardner & Grace played fall baseball for the first time last fall...might they play fall baseball, "spring" fall baseball, and regular spring baseball? Maybe one year football or soccer co-ops?

Confused? What don’t you see happening? We all know nothing is 100% certain and the regions must get to and stay in phase 4. But if so, they will play a 6-7 game season with a start in March. Not sure why you think that won’t happen?
I don't think anything will get moved, just my guess. I'm guessing they keep football to start Feb 15 and because of the different scenarios bases on what regions are in what tiers, I think it's going to be left up to the schools to do whatever they can. I think they provide the traditional spring sports with a fuller regular schedule starting in March and attempt for outside state tournament. I think they will attempt to keep what they originally had in place for the most part to allow ADs to be able to schedule what they can with space and officials, buy priority will be given to a traditional spring sports schedule. Football and basketball will be allowed but more of a local decision to do what they want.

I don't think anything will get moved, just my guess. I'm guessing they keep football to start Feb 15 and because of the different scenarios bases on what regions are in what tiers, I think it's going to be left up to the schools to do whatever they can. I think they provide the traditional spring sports with a fuller regular schedule starting in March and attempt for outside state tournament. I think they will attempt to keep what they originally had in place for the most part to allow ADs to be able to schedule what they can with space and officials, buy priority will be given to a traditional spring sports schedule. Football and basketball will be allowed but more of a local decision to do what they want.
I agree. I think it's important for the Spring sports to have as normal a season as possible. They have already missed an entire year.

Recovered from what? They could have surgery in may and be “recovered” to play football in august. Other states play 2 football seasons. Do they have different 16yr old physiology than illinois 16yr olds?
Chief, you’ve officiated for a long time. You know damn well, there’s a difference in recovering from a collision sport and a thing your legs back after a basketball season. Two tackle football seasons with limited physical training is a bit much for kids. As it is summer will end up being just running and lifting.

Chief, you’ve officiated for a long time. You know damn well, there’s a difference in recovering from a collision sport and a thing your legs back after a basketball season. Two tackle football seasons with limited physical training is a bit much for kids. As it is summer will end up being just running and lifting.
While it has been near 20yrs since I played a high school football season I do know that when we played we went about 2 weeks off and straight into conditioning/lifting/playing another sport 5days a with little break until 3 a days started again in august. Now that I work in a sports medicine/rehab role I can tell you there is nothing an athletes body is doing 4months from now that is related to what is done to it today. Unless there is an injury process for you to recover from of course(prolonged immobilization, atrophy due to disuse, etc). Sure the body could use some rest after a relentless 4months(best case scenario)of abuse to let it recover from sprains and strains but it surely does not require 4months with no major injury to heal from. If anything their bodies will be more prepared for is as it has physically adapted to the rigors or accepting impact with the ground/players, the explosive nature of playing, and everything that isn’t simulated in a weight room or 7on7. You’re much more sore after your first few contact days than you are midseason when your body has adapted minus sprains/strains which you’ll over come with some short rest, rehab/recovery.

I feel like I'm in an alternate universe reading some of these threads. We get great news, positivity rates are dropping all across state and dudes are posting there will be no season and craziness about how these kids can't play football in spring and fall. A week ago I was pessimistic but how in the world could you not be bullish on a spring season now? Things are looking solid.

I'm guessing we will get that shortly from IHSA

I expect some flux here. Depends on which sports overlap, some schools especially outside the chicago metro may no longer be able to field teams. And then there is CPS...

I feel like I'm in an alternate universe reading some of these threads. We get great news, positivity rates are dropping all across state and dudes are posting there will be no season and craziness about how these kids can't play football in spring and fall. A week ago I was pessimistic but how in the world could you not be bullish on a spring season now? Things are looking solid.

I think Illinois will play but I don’t like a 6-7 game season and hate they won’t have playoffs and a state final. Mean while Ohio, Indiana and a whole bunch of other states played last year and will play full season this year. Illinois is a shit show.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
While it has been near 20yrs since I played a high school football season I do know that when we played we went about 2 weeks off and straight into conditioning/lifting/playing another sport 5days a with little break until 3 a days started again in august. Now that I work in a sports medicine/rehab role I can tell you there is nothing an athletes body is doing 4months from now that is related to what is done to it today. Unless there is an injury process for you to recover from of course(prolonged immobilization, atrophy due to disuse, etc). Sure the body could use some rest after a relentless 4months(best case scenario)of abuse to let it recover from sprains and strains but it surely does not require 4months with no major injury to heal from. If anything their bodies will be more prepared for is as it has physically adapted to the rigors or accepting impact with the ground/players, the explosive nature of playing, and everything that isn’t simulated in a weight room or 7on7. You’re much more sore after your first few contact days than you are midseason when your body has adapted minus sprains/strains which you’ll over come with some short rest, rehab/recovery.
I will stick with my position that a May start for football will not happen. Having experienced spring practices in March and April, I can't imagine if we played actual football games instead of 16 practices and a couple scrimmages that we would be 100% for kickoff in August. That was 18-22 year old men. How about the 16 year old who hits a growth spurt while recovering from June football games and doesn't get a chance to move and train with longer limbs and developed musculature before another kick off in late August. I agree kids are physically resilient but that's insanity. The season will be March and April, that's the best we can hope for.

Next challenge, sharing multiple sport athletes if Track and Baseball run concurrently. Who practices when... What competition takes priority... How much does weather temp factor into practice... What about indoor social distancing and group limits...

A whole lot to consider in very short order.

From 4th grade on, I went from one sport to the other all year long. Soccer in the fall, then basketball from T-day to mid-lent (35 game) then to track - with baseball overlapping into fall, then basketball (wrestling club too instead of soccer) then track/ball again.

Did that until I was 18.

Dude you are making up one off scenarios for long-limbed kids. Is this what we have come to?
One example of a thousand that we deal with. Not made up. How many male athletes hit a growth spurt from between 14-16? How many need time in training to develop coordination. My point being is that specifically for the sport of tackle football, playing GAMES, not 7 vs 7, in May and June and then coming back and doing it again in August is not in the best interest of the student-athletes. Of course not all of them are as tough as lets say...you.

Why did the IHSA stop Wednesday playoff games? 9-14 games, even 5-7 require rest and recovery. 9 weeks of football ending in June followed by 9-14 weeks in August - November is too much. That's why the season has to be played in March and April.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT