ADVERTISEMENT

What HS team do you root for

I' MC's record in 8A title games is 1-2.

Mt Carmel has won 15 state championships. Of these, two were at the highest level at that time; twelve were one level down; and one was two levels down. We've lost five state championship games: two at the highest level at that time, and three at one level down. We lost in the semis in 1987 to East St Louis in the highest level. In the seven years from 2006 to 2012, we competed in 8A playoffs.

Mt Carmel has won 15 state championships. Of these, two were at the highest level at that time; twelve were one level down; and one was two levels down. We've lost five state championship games: two at the highest level at that time, and three at one level down. We lost in the semis in 1987 to East St Louis in the highest level. In the seven years from 2006 to 2012, we competed in 8A playoffs.
I've heard it said that if MC wins state this year, they'll be in 8A next year, which should result in some interesting match-ups. MC's record in 8A title games is 1-2.
Wrong thread guys.

Last edited:
Good stuff several years ago on this board when Rita visited Sterling in the playoffs.
If I moved and stayed in Illinois Sterling area would be on my short list as with Morris Illinois area. Playoff football over 50 plus years has taken me all over the state, but those two communities kind of hit a cord with me. Sterling were very friendly hosts. I follow them ever year since we played then.

In order:
My sons HS
My Family’s Sons HS
My Friends Sons HS
Marist
Any team playing a team that wears Brown

Always love this thread.
For all the years I’ve been on this site, finding the Marist fan is like spotting a unicorn 😀. Very bizarre fan base. They are very successful in Football and numerous other sports. They pack the stands, they’re loud and passionate and if they lose they couldn’t care less, they are thankful for a good time. I’m envious I admit it!

cool beans

• Wow
Reactions: rjjtwest and k1867
For all the years I’ve been on this site, finding the Marist fan is like spotting a unicorn 😀. Very bizarre fan base. They are very successful in Football and numerous other sports. They pack the stands, they’re loud and passionate and if they lose they couldn’t care less, they are thankful for a good time. I’m envious I admit it!
I don't know if I would say couldn't care less about losing. 2013 losing to Naperville Central in the semis on controversial call still hurts especially when Naperville Central went on to win it all. Losing in the semis to rival BR at home in 2018 still stings as well.

I don't know if I would say couldn't care less about losing. 2013 losing to Naperville Central in the semis on controversial call still hurts especially when Naperville Central went on to win it all. Losing in the semis to rival BR at home in 2018 still stings as well.
I was at that Marist / Naperville Central game and don't remember a controversial call. Without derailing this thread (too much) please refresh my memory.

I was just there as a fan of high school football and had no horse in the race. So no bias. Just don't remember controversy.

I honestly don't root for anyone. I just love high school football.

I haven't set foot on the campus where I graduated in the 39 years since I graduated. The school my kids went to was known for having talent but a poor coaching staff, so they always exited early and community support has wavered.

I generally respect the storied programs and love when the "blue bloods" battle each other. I love teams with discipline and a clean sideline. I love the double wing.

I was at that Marist / Naperville Central game and don't remember a controversial call. Without derailing this thread (too much) please refresh my memory.

I was just there as a fan of high school football and had no horse in the race. So no bias. Just don't remember controversy.
Marist scored late in 4th. Ensuing kick Naperville did not field kick properly and it bounced past the return man where Marist recovered right around the 1 or 2 but rolled into the end zone where it was called a touchback. Otherwise Marist would have been inside the 2 going in for potential lead. NC came down and scored game winner on this drive. Great game none the less.

Marist scored late in 4th. Ensuing kick Naperville did not field kick properly and it bounced past the return man where Marist recovered right around the 1 or 2 but rolled into the end zone where it was called a touchback. Otherwise Marist would have been inside the 2 going in for potential lead. NC came down and scored game winner on this drive. Great game none the less.
Thanks. I don't remember that (but my memory is crap). I can totally understand how that would be controversial.

Besides the obvious, I have a soft spot for Evegreen Park, where I was a substitute teacher while home on leave; and Elk Grove, whose games I'd attend on Friday nights while having their hot dogs for dinner back in my single days. I always pull for St Rita whwn they're playing someone else.

You knlw what might be a great thread: teams you can't stand. (It's likely I might have caused some folks to not like you-know-who.)

But the lower level championships don't count, remember?

I love high school football so I follow many schools.

Mighty Mt Carmel Caravan
Cary Grove
~~~ All of the Fox Valley
Prairie Ridge
JCA
Brother Rice
EStL
Chatham Glenwood (Redskins) Titian
QND

Rochester
Byron
Wilmington
Le-Win

Morrison (because they are the Ponies)
Arcola
Sullivan Redskins

Nokomis Redskins
WIVC~ Hardin Calhoun, Camp Point, Greenfield
Tuscola
Decatur St. T
Toledo Cumberland
Sangamo Conference
Williamsville
Maroa

Athens, Olympia, and Pittsfield
Pawnee

Reactions: rocketnation
Mighty Mt Carmel
Batavia
Cary Grove
Prairie Ridge
JCA
Brother Rice
Byron
Wilmington
Seneca
Lena Winslow
Morrison Pony Express
Chatham Glenwood
QND
Rochester
Williamsville
Maroa
Olympia
Athens
Pittsfield
Hardin Calhoun
Greenfield
Camp Point Central
Nokomis Redskins
Sullivan Redskins
Arcola
Tuscola
Decatur St. T
Pawnee
Toledo Cumberland
Nothing like Friday night lights!!!

St. Rita

Others (when not playing America’s Team, your St. Rita Mustangs):

Leo (Mrs. Soup’s family’s school, still has her Orange sweater with the big Black L on it that she wore to games as a grade schooler)

Mt. Carmel

Brother Rice

Notre Dame College Prep

St. Patrick

Marmion Academy

Starting with the South Side, to the North Side, to the West Suburban Academy for all boy Catholic High Schools.

Providence (Ran by the Augustinian order of priests who also run St. Rita of Cascia)

@MS4EVER Scott looks like I have to set up @PowerI66 with the red and blue starter pack!

Which reminds me of my Public Schools I root for:

Reavis: friends

LWE/Lockport: Friends. Like seeing the rosters and seeing any names from the old neighborhoods and finding if that’s so and so’s kid or nephew or whatever

Playoffs/Paths Cross
Sandburg
Bolingbrook

My North of Madison interests

Maine South since the ‘95 playoff meeting and because the equipment guy is a pretty cool guy

And now my new favorite: Palatine. Hey wait a minute, 1994 semis. Dang it. Aaargh that’s driving me nuts. But I’ve matured since then sort of

618: ESL Not many people know this but been down there a handful of times for 2 playoff games and the kick off classics. They have the crankiest, smartest old fans imaginable. It’s like hanging out with encyclopedias of high school football knowledge that spit and cuss

Chicago Christian
Question. Love the Knights!!! Mrs Fransman was awesome. I know when you had that good run in football you were playing some old Sica schools.
How come CCHS vs Shepard never happened in football? You even played Eisenhower at one time I think

Anybody who can field a team I like. My tops are any old Sica Teams & throw in Rich Township with that & The non Sica Lincoln Way Teams as well as any ex Illini 8 teams. Sica when started wanted to take the Illini 8 & rename it the Sica Southwest. The deal breaker was they didn’t want Joliet Catholic or Marian Catholic so it was a no go.

Anybody who can field a team I like. My tops are any old Sica Teams & throw in Rich Township with that & The non Sica Lincoln Way Teams as well as any ex Illini 8 teams. Sica when started wanted to take the Illini 8 & rename it the Sica Southwest. The deal breaker was they didn’t want Joliet Catholic or Marian Catholic so it was a no go.
I also had to add I like various other teams from neighboring states like all past & present from the region/northern Indiana, teams such as Brother Rice Michigan who used to play Rita,St.L & the other Brother Rice & some Iowa,Wisconsin & St.Louis schools. Coach Perry would remember some of my Wisconsin favorites that played LFA,North Shore Country Day,Mooseheart. Williams Bay for one

LA
Then: St George, St Mel’s, the old original DePaul Academy, Weber, Gordon Tech, Mendel, St Gregory, St Ben’s. And if Marillac were still around, they’d win flag football easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: RockSoup
I never, ever belittled the lower level championships -- only those who consistently particcipate there, but don't belong.

You know this, of course.
Really? I don't recall you ever posting about this.

@MS4EVER Scott looks like I have to set up @PowerI66 with the red and blue starter pack!

Which reminds me of my Public Schools I root for:

Reavis: friends

LWE/Lockport: Friends. Like seeing the rosters and seeing any names from the old neighborhoods and finding if that’s so and so’s kid or nephew or whatever

Playoffs/Paths Cross
Sandburg
Bolingbrook

My North of Madison interests

Maine South since the ‘95 playoff meeting and because the equipment guy is a pretty cool guy

And now my new favorite: Palatine. Hey wait a minute, 1994 semis. Dang it. Aaargh that’s driving me nuts. But I’ve matured since then sort of

618: ESL Not many people know this but been down there a handful of times for 2 playoff games and the kick off classics. They have the crankiest, smartest old fans imaginable. It’s like hanging out with encyclopedias of high school football knowledge that spit and cuss
How did Palatine get in there Rock? Family connections?

LA
Then: St George, St Mel’s, the old original DePaul Academy, Gordon Tech, Mendel, St Gregory, St Ben’s. And if Marillac were still around, they’d win flag football easily.
Don’t forget Weber,Seton Academy,Luther South & Luther North,St.Francis De Sales,St.Martin De Porres,Hales Franciscan,St.Elizabeth,St.Phillip,St.Martin De Porres & Morgan Park Academy plus Lake Forest Academy,Mooseheart & North Shore Country Day

Last edited:
Reactions: ignazio
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT