ADVERTISEMENT

What has MC learned from MS?

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
Yep, it has to be that way.

RB brought the spread to ILHS to beat JCA, they nearly did it...

Much as RB birthed it, MS perfected it. Pass, run, screen, bomb, draw, run pass, power, big Italian kid and small Greek kid.

MC, the old guard of the pulling guard, triple option; run to perfection and with more overall success than any other school in the state (JCA with more titles of course :)...but facts are facts and MC's got the best IL resume from 78 onward - and before if you ask MC63.

Tables turn, the spread will end sometime. My prediction is that it will come with concussion protocol. At some point, many will realize, the speed of the game has increased dramatically because of the open space the spread creates, and legislators of the game will limit the number of players outside the ends...

MC, now lead by Lynch, a master of the spread, gets to face an old foe...and one of equal acclaim. The rest of substance of this post is unnecessary...

Illinois fans deserve to see this game...the disputed open boundary public school vs the disputed open border private school (i love stirring it...).

Much props to the ADs and Coaches who put this together.

Also, much props to MC and MS posters who have a very awesome edgy edgy home base.

Last edited:
Nice post but I don’t know if I’d classify it as the spread...run/pass option, heavy on the run! I’m still trying to figure it out, just as they are!

Much as RB birthed it, MS perfected it. Pass, run, screen, bomb, draw, run pass, power, big Italian kid and small Italian kid.

MC, the old guard of the pulling guard, triple option; run to perfection and with more overall success than any other school in the state (JCA with more titles of course :)...but facts are facts and MC's got the best IL resume from 78 onward - and before if you ask MC63.

Tables turn, the spread will end sometime. My prediction is that it will come with concussion protocol. At some point, many will realize, the speed of the game has increased dramatically because of the open space the spread creates, and legislators of the game will limit the number of players outside the ends...

MC, now lead by Lynch, a master of the spread, gets to face an old foe...and one of equal acclaim. The rest of substance of this post is unnecessary...

Illinois fans deserve to see this game...the disputed open boundary public school vs the disputed open border private school (i love stirring it...).

Also, much props to MC and MS posters who have a very awesome edgy edgy home base.

With all due respect to ESL and JCA, there is no prep football program in Illinois that can match Mt. Carmel. None zero.

I know that JCA has an additional state title, but, and no offense, how many of their titles are against major programs?. ESL has perhaps 20 more victories overall, but, again, how many power teams have they played on a consistent basis over the years?

Again, no offense.

With all due respect to ESL and JCA, there is no prep football program in Illinois that can match Mt. Carmel. None zero.

I know that JCA has an additional state title, but, and no offense, how many of their titles are against major programs?. ESL has perhaps 20 more victories overall, but, again, how many power teams have they played on a consistent basis over the years?

Again, no offense.

i thought i said MC had the top resume?

Reactions: USD24
No offense, but did Esl or JCA fire their legendary coaches like MC did? Lol[/QUOTE

Offically, for the record, he was replaced as football coach, he wasn’t fired from the school, he was asked to stay on and remain with the School but obviously we all know how that turned out!

Mccaravan, you going with JCA this week? Double up??? A coach being replaced is the political way of saying, your fired. Get out! Football team and boosters don’t want you. Is there going to be a lenti night at one of the football games? He did win 600 games, right?

"Spread" appears to be a catch-all term which designates a class of formations displayed when a team first comes up to the LOS. It often features Q not under center, a single back and 2 or more wide receivers. Many attacks, run and pass, can be run from a spread set. Pre-snap shifts and motions can bring backfielders into positions to run about any offense concept.

Mccaravan, you going with JCA this week? Double up??? A coach being replaced is the political way of saying, your fired. Get out! Football team and boosters don’t want you. Is there going to be a lenti night at one of the football games? He did win 600 games, right?
Let’s just say there’s a LOT that a lot of people don’t know about that situation and we’ll end it with that. I’d like to double down on my fellow Carmelite school but I heard they may be limping into this game...if you win and stay healthy I’ll give you a 7-2 season. Watching Marist against BR they really didn’t look good, their line is really below average

Reactions: Gene K.
I trust your thoughts on mt Carmel and understand about a lot of things people don’t know about that situation there at mt Carmel. Hell, I deal with that on this forum every day about JCA football. Ha ha ha. I won’t beat a dead horse there. Instead, I will mount my trusty steed and start heading to elmhurst to see the under rated, again, Hillmen, do battle one more week. Not gonna lie, the two injuries hurt, but we went three quarters against Rita just fine. I will be the first to admit when I think JCA is done. But we are not! I’m a realist. They are ready to go! You need to mount up and ride with me and prove the edgy nation wrong again! I can’t have a posse if it’s just me. Lol

No offense, but did Esl or JCA fire their legendary coaches like MC did? Lol
YES - sorta.

East St. Louis' Bob Shannon's tenure came to a premature end because he dared say on 60 Minutes that the mayor and local government are failing - he graded them with an F.

https://www.si.com/vault/1995/10/30...con-of-hope-amid-despair-now-hes-out-of-a-job

Having chafed for years
under a school district that is now being investigated for
financial mismanagement and corruption, and having been
repeatedly denied sufficient money for his football program,
Shannon announced last spring that he wanted to become East
Side's athletic director, so he could control the athletic
department's funds. The man who held that job, Arthur May,
angrily refused to give it up and threatened to have Shannon
fired. Then Shannon began following the money trail in the
department and accused May of lying to the school district when
requesting funds for the football team's meals on a road trip.
According to Shannon, May told him to mind his own business.

"Now that made me mad," Shannon says, his eyes widening, his
hands clenching into fists. "I'm from Mississippi. I take my
right to protest seriously. And this is a protest--against a
system that doesn't care if money is missing, if the kids don't
have the right shoes or a safe place to practice. That's not
what high school sports is supposed to be about."

And so, on Sept. 2, Shannon announced that he would give up the
job that had brought national glory to East Side and to him. He
was tired of fighting unsuccessfully for funds, and he felt that
because of his conflict with May, his presence was doing the
football team more harm than good. East St. Louis mayor Gordon
Bush
, among many others, urged Shannon to reconsider, but while
Shannon was thinking it over, the school board hastily convened
a special meeting and voted 6-0 to accept his resignation. (The
board usually decides on rehiring coaches in November.) One
board member accused Shannon of airing "dirty linens" in public.

Gordon Bush' daughter went to Althoff, not ESL.

Last edited:
That’s horrible!!!!! I grew up in Chicago and voted for the mayor three times in the same election, so I know corruption. Lol. When it involves kids, that’s inexcusable. That story made me and my horse stomach turn. Lol

Reactions: Bowie50

Much as RB birthed it, MS perfected it. Pass, run, screen, bomb, draw, run pass, power, big Italian kid and small Greek kid.

One thing I would say they have put RT Mendiola at Nose a little bit ala Kevin Jarvis

Again, no offense.
Nothing like a little humility to start the day. What a humble guy. I just love this board. :)

The Charlie Bliss (MS) offense has always revolved around the bubble screen. the "Purdue" package has 4-7 options on every play. no matter the formation, trips, bubble, dual flex, you have an out. adding a athletic qb to that mix, and its tough to beat. from listening to the MC posters, it sounds like (again, only 1 lynch game has been played) that they are adding a little bit of spread but not much (still run first). I doubt MC goes full on spread offense, and if they did it would be dramatically different than a Bliss spread

Reactions: Gene K.
Oh boy, here we go...
Not quite. The "here we go" started with the first post on the subject.

Again, no offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT