ADVERTISEMENT

What game on the schedule does your team circle on the calendar?

SOUTHSIDECFD

Oct 1, 2009
With Mount Carmel sliding over to the Green Division the next two years there is no St. Rita game for them. But their two crossovers as reported are both tough games with Loyola and Providence Catholic. Just a guess but maybe Mount Carmel circles the Loyola game. Or maybe not?

Brother Rice circles the Marist game every year. Who does St. Rita circle Brother Rice? My guess Brother Rice circles the St. Rita game too?

Who does your team get up the most for? What’s your team’s biggest rival?

That would be great but it looks like they are off schedule with contracts. West is finishing a home and home with Maine South next year and I would imagine WWS will be starting a new one.

I have no influence at Althoff, but if I ever wanted to score 100 on someone it would be Carbondale, the team requesting the ouster of Althoff from the South 7.

Puck @ss &|+{#€$.

My guess is that Althoff thinks they have some nice players coming up if they wanna open with IC. I know there is some D already coming back as sophomores .. 2019 they will be prominent DSR talk - maybe even 2018.

Reactions: superac777
With Mount Carmel sliding over to the Green Division the next two years there is no St. Rita game for them. But their two crossovers as reported are both tough games with Loyola and Providence Catholic. Just a guess but maybe Mount Carmel circles the Loyola game. Or maybe not?

Brother Rice circles the Marist game every year. Who does St. Rita circle Brother Rice? My guess Brother Rice circles the St. Rita game too?

Who does your team get up the most for? What’s your team’s biggest rival?

Beat PC. Augustinian rivals playing very close games the last couple of years.

Montini Guys who are your non cons next year I saw that the LZ contract wasn't renewed.

Kind of weird not having MC on SR’s schedule next two years. I would have moved PC to the green first as they were in last ones in the CCL Blue. While every conference game is big I do think the kids will be up a little more for both the PC and BR games. Both games this year were on the road so I’m hoping to have both at home. Both are conference games. With the Augustan’s teaching at both SR and PC schools that rivalry will always be there. With BR it’s a neighborhood game with the schools only 39 blocks apart.

go_rice would beg to differ.
I thinks it's a bigger game for Marist. Without the Rice game Marist has no south side presence. All of their ESCC opponents are far enough away that there usually is no neighborhood buzz for games like Marist v. C of M.

I think Aurora Christian and Aurora Central Catholic will have each other circled now that they are in the same conference again.

Catholic managed to avoid Christian all but one of the years they were in the SCC together because they were usually in different divisions of the conference.

Eagles lead the series 2-1.

Wilmington hasn't lost an I-8 small game in like 10 years...traditional rival Peotone (who they opened every season with for years prior to Peotone joining the I-8) probably. Lisle, with the turf monster @ Benedictine, might be close.

But the real circles are for the first two weeks next season...Coal City & Manteno. Both return their QBs from 6 win seasons...CC is the traditional rival in football & wrestling. Manteno, after back to back week 9 undefeated matchups in '14 & '15, has become the measuring stick...and a revenge game next year.

Wilmo will reload...loses all-state left tackle, stud fullback/linebacker, left wing...returns all-state wing/QB/db...beauty of a well run double wing system is that you never just fall off the cliff...

I thinks it's a bigger game for Marist. Without the Rice game Marist has no south side presence. All of their ESCC opponents are far enough away that there usually is no neighborhood buzz for games like Marist v. C of M.

Except for the fact they are located on the southside and many of their alumni live on the southside. Other than that you are right no southside presence at all.

Reactions: USD24
Except for the fact they are located on the southside and many of their alumni live on the southside. Other than that you are right no southside presence at all.

He clearly stated no South Side presence on their schedule. Reading is fundamental.

I will also miss the Carmel/Rita games. I know from the rivalry from hockey MC and Fenwick games are always testy. That could develop into something. But LA is a obvious choice. For SR I’ll guess it will be BR.

He clearly stated no South Side presence on their schedule. Reading is fundamental.
I live about 12 minutes SW of Marist. There is no “buzz” about Marist unless they are playing another south side team. BR, SR or MC are natural draws for grade school football players. But if Marist is playing ND of St. Pat’s there is no buzz about it unless you are a Marist alumni.

No slight of Marist intended. The ESCC is just so geographically scattered. My wife worked at Benedictine University for years and I have been at several Marist Benet games. Not same intensity compared to Marist BR. I think it's just geography.

If you want to talk about circling a date on the calendar the Marist girls and Mother McCauley put most of the boys sports to shame for intensity. If you can get a seat at McCauley for either volleyball or basketball game vs the Marist girls it’s worth the effort. The cheering can get vicious.

Reactions: USD24
I noticed a couple of you got the point I was trying to make. Thanks tomloner & CCLGuy. Exactly what I was trying to say all along. For Marist that game is their “Pulaski Road Super Bowl”. The only crack they get each year at any of the schools they recruit/compete for students against. For BR, it is probably the 4th or 5th circled game on the schedule behind Rita, MC, Laurence (when we get the opportunity) and probably Loyola (understated longtime rivalry). I did not mind when the BR/Marist game was off the schedule & truly wouldn’t mind if it went away again. Grew up with SR, MC, D, StL even Leo & de Sales guys and those are the games I remember as I get older. I don’t have many friends that went to Marist, a few good guys I know but for the most part, they are cut from a different cloth than the old school CCL crew. No offense intended to Marist truly, but I don’t know why we play them, personally I’d rather not give them the platform since they aren’t a conference rival, and l honestly think by playing them we give them a neighborhood footprint they otherwise wouldn’t have. As someone else stated their games create virtually no buzz in the area. Even when they had an undefeated season there was still a lot more chatter about our 2-7 Crusaders declining a Prep Bowl invite than any Marist game outside of the BR game & the day when Loyola ended it.

When I started this thread I was hoping teams from across region will post their biggest rivalry. Yes good teams get up for every game but there is usually one team they look forward to. I find it hard to believe Marist gets up for ND with the same vigor that they do for BR. But MC SR has always been the big one. Let's hear from some downstate teams too!

East Side and Belleville West play for the Alton Southern Bell and have for more than 100 years - used to be the Thanksgiving game. That intensity faded for a bit (decades) as ESL was dominant in the series.

Now, it’s ESL and EVILLE - because both are usually competitive.

You don’t need to win any.

Yes we do because we always lose a game we are supposed to win like Marmion this year, we likely will play a tough crossover and therefore likely will have to win 2 blue games to make the playoffs.

For next year definitely weeks 2-4 circled in Maine S, @ Loyola and DLS who MC lost to.

Yes we do because we always lose a game we are supposed to win like Marmion this year, we likely will play a tough crossover and therefore likely will have to win 2 blue games to make the playoffs.
Cross overs are Marmon for sure. they don't play Mt. Carmel. Who could be a "tough" crossover? Win the 2 non cons and the crossovers and they're in.

For next year definitely weeks 2-4 circled in Maine S, @ Loyola and DLS who MC lost to.

MC comes out of this with a possible 1 - 2 record? What you think, Deano? I just assume with LA, all teams get a loss. Not sure what MS brings next year, but based on past performance and tradition, they should be very good. I think MC beats DLS next year.

It’s hard to believe that a little over 20 years ago, Montini was playing Wilmington in the 3A playoffs. Now they are playing in the CCL Blue...?

Marian Catholic....its a game I know the Hilltoppers can win!

In reality, JCA really does not have a natural rival in football or a game that is circled every year. It has been decades since they have had geographical rivalries in football that they play on a consistent basis.
In past years the circled game has changed from Providence to Morris to MC. Ironically, when I was there in the late 80s, the biggest rival was probably Marian Catholic.

I would love to get MC or Provi or Morris back on the schedule on a yearly basis.

Last edited:
ESL vs E'ville
Althoff Vs Cahokai
Althoff vs Centralia (Tried to kick them out of the conference)
Breese Central vs Mater Dei
Belleville East vs Belleville West
Collinsville Vs Granite City (typically the loser end the year last place in SWC)
O'fallon vs Belleville East
Highland vs Triad

I noticed a couple of you got the point I was trying to make. Thanks tomloner & CCLGuy. Exactly what I was trying to say all along. For Marist that game is their “Pulaski Road Super Bowl”. The only crack they get each year at any of the schools they recruit/compete for students against. For BR, it is probably the 4th or 5th circled game on the schedule behind Rita, MC, Laurence (when we get the opportunity) and probably Loyola (understated longtime rivalry). I did not mind when the BR/Marist game was off the schedule & truly wouldn’t mind if it went away again. Grew up with SR, MC, D, StL even Leo & de Sales guys and those are the games I remember as I get older. I don’t have many friends that went to Marist, a few good guys I know but for the most part, they are cut from a different cloth than the old school CCL crew. No offense intended to Marist truly, but I don’t know why we play them, personally I’d rather not give them the platform since they aren’t a conference rival, and l honestly think by playing them we give them a neighborhood footprint they otherwise wouldn’t have. As someone else stated their games create virtually no buzz in the area. Even when they had an undefeated season there was still a lot more chatter about our 2-7 Crusaders declining a Prep Bowl invite than any Marist game outside of the BR game & the day when Loyola ended it.

You're right ... Rice is giving Marist a neighborhood footprint. You'd be better off if they were playing some far flung ESCC team than night.

Wilmington hasn't lost an I-8 small game in like 10 years...traditional rival Peotone (who they opened every season with for years prior to Peotone joining the I-8) probably. Lisle, with the turf monster @ Benedictine, might be close.

But the real circles are for the first two weeks next season...Coal City & Manteno. Both return their QBs from 6 win seasons...CC is the traditional rival in football & wrestling. Manteno, after back to back week 9 undefeated matchups in '14 & '15, has become the measuring stick...and a revenge game next year.

Wilmo will reload...loses all-state left tackle, stud fullback/linebacker, left wing...returns all-state wing/QB/db...beauty of a well run double wing system is that you never just fall off the cliff...

I guess your thoughts on circling a game on the schedule and mine might be a little different. Yes, Peotone used to be our first game of the season before they were in the I-8 but up until the last few years they weren't anything special. The two games Wilmo looks forward to the most is Coal City and Reed-Custer. These are the towns that interact the most with each other at the beach clubs, parties, carnivals, etc. These are the towns that see romantic relationships forming with each other and jealousy brewing among the boys. No matter how terrible RC is Wilmo looks forward to that game and the pounding they are going to deliver. The coaches told us every year "It is unacceptable to lose to Braidwood."

This year for Herscher??? I am guessing Wilmington as they will probably be the biggest obstacle for them to win their third straight conference title..

This year for Herscher??? I am guessing Wilmington as they will probably be the biggest obstacle for them to win their third straight conference title..
Herscher & Wilmington haven't played each other in 3 years, and unless something has recently changed they aren't on next years schedule...The Cats play Manteno & Coal City weeks 1 & 2, Streator (for the first time since Streator joined the I-8) and Plano weeks 8 & 9...Wilmington only as of now has an opening for week 7, which was Seneca...strangely enough, the Wildcats still have Westmont listed for week 6, and Westmont's IHSA post indicates they are not looking for a week 6 game, so maybe they are still playing?

I guess your thoughts on circling a game on the schedule and mine might be a little different. Yes, Peotone used to be our first game of the season before they were in the I-8 but up until the last few years they weren't anything special. The two games Wilmo looks forward to the most is Coal City and Reed-Custer. These are the towns that interact the most with each other at the beach clubs, parties, carnivals, etc. These are the towns that see romantic relationships forming with each other and jealousy brewing among the boys. No matter how terrible RC is Wilmo looks forward to that game and the pounding they are going to deliver. The coaches told us every year "It is unacceptable to lose to Braidwood."
Historically, I think you are right. But my interaction with the kids the last few years indicates that, other than the Jones boys (who transferred from RC to Wilmo in junior high) the players view RC as not much more than a speed bump in football. They considered Manteno much more of a measuring stick - '14 & '15 they played week 9 as undefeated conference champions, and in '14 they weren't sure they could defend a passing attack well enough to win a state title until they shut down the Panthers...but since the boys know I am from Manteno, maybe they were pandering to me...lol

The RC/Wilmington rivalry might be on the upswing, however, after the Wildcats sophs only beat the Comets by one this fall...Its hard to circle a team when you keep going running clock by halftime...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT