ADVERTISEMENT

What do you do?

Black&white

Nov 25, 2001
Chicago Hope Academy 91 River Valley Coop 0.

I don't think scores like this are good for high school football. Interested if anyone is close enough to know the details.

Memo to Chicago Hope Coach...

• See the knob in the middle of your leg?
  • It's called a Knee
  • Have QB and RB use Knee quite often when you are in the 60's and the clock can't run fast enough.

I don't think scores like this are good for high school football. Interested if anyone is close enough to know the details.

They are in the same conference therefore there isn't much you can do about the matchup. I do not believe in telling players not to go hard while they are on the field as one mistake could lead to season ending injury. At some point, the losing team staff should consider dropping football for safety concerns. so far three teams have 47, 60 something and now 91.

Last edited:
There are in the same conference therefore there isn't much you can do about the matchup. I do not believe in telling players not to go hard while they are on the field as one mistake could lead to season ending injury. At some point, the losing team staff should consider dropping football for safety concerns. so far three teams have 47, 60 something and now 91.

I'm not advocating that players don't play hard every play because yes that can lead to injury if you half ass it.

What I am saying is that The victory formation can be used earlier in the game than just the last 2 minutes. It will also signal to the refs - hey you might want to talk to the opposing team and think about calling this one early!? We Won't score on you anymore but we will continue to play defense if you want to keep banging your head against our defensive wall. .

I know someone out there is going to say - Voodoo - that is a worse disrespect to the team getting blown out.. and maybe so - but assuming you have every last back up playing and you are still clobbering them 91-0? Maybe less guys will get hurt on the blown out team if they are only playing offense the rest of the game

I'm not advocating that players don't play hard every play because yes that can lead to injury if you half ass it.

What I am saying is that The victory formation can be used earlier in the game than just the last 2 minutes. It will also signal to the refs - hey you might want to talk to the opposing team and think about calling this one early!? We Won't score on you anymore but we will continue to play defense if you want to keep banging your head against our defensive wall. .

I know someone out there is going to say - Voodoo - that is a worse disrespect to the team getting blown out.. and maybe so - but assuming you have every last back up playing and you are still clobbering them 91-0? Maybe less guys will get hurt on the blown out team if they are only playing offense the rest of the game

So when should they go into victory formation, after the first touchdown? Maybe the second? Taking a knee in the first half is more disrespectful to me.

Obviously not. and I Understood where you are coming from (I even said it in my post).

Just me- but I think when the score is 63-0 you start taking a knee on offense. Assuming that's in the 3rd quarter based off the 91-0 score?

I really dislike scores like this. At first glance, it makes me angry.

But, a little more research shows that River Valley Coop hasn't scored a point all year, and their closest previous game was a 47-0 thrashing at the hands of Luther North. River Valley Co-op went 0-9 last year, forfeiting its last five games after being shutout in its first four games of the season. They also forfeited five games in the 2014 season.

Still, the Chicago Hope Academy coach knew all that coming into the game, so I would like to think that he was prepared for this potential blowout and that it could have been worse than 91-0. If that isn't the case, then shame on him.

This was a CONFERENCE game in a ten team conference where each school plays nine conference games. Assuming that the Co-op is in existence next year in the same conference, we can expect similar blowouts.

All that said, God bless those kids from that team.

I really dislike scores like this. At first glance, it makes me angry.

But, a little more research shows that River Valley Coop hasn't scored a point all year, and their closest previous game was a 47-0 thrashing at the hands of Luther North. River Valley Co-op went 0-9 last year, forfeiting its last five games after being shutout in its first four games of the season. They also forfeited five games in the 2014 season.

Still, the Chicago Hope Academy coach knew all that coming into the game, so I would like to think that he was prepared for this potential blowout and that it could have been worse than 91-0. If that isn't the case, then shame on him.

This was a CONFERENCE game in a ten team conference where each school plays nine conference games. Assuming that the Co-op is in existence next year in the same conference, we can expect similar blowouts.

All that said, God bless those kids from that team.

I agree. We also have to keep in mind that both teams are small schools therefore there probably isn't a lot of depth to be subbing players. As ugly as it is, if the score was 85 at half I don't see an issue with it. Instead of forfeiting their last 5, how about given the better teams a by week and letting this team play against the schools it can compete with.

I am trying not to be judgmental as I don't have the facts. I have been officiating for 30 years and only once in that time did we see a team break 70. It just seems to me that if the coaches are on the same page and the officials are aware, a game can be safely managed to avoid that without jeopardizing safety and without asking kids to play anything less than 100%.

Case in point - had a CPS team with 15 kids dressed play a very respectable suburban power. It was 28-0 six minutes into the 1st quarter. There was communication between coached and with officials. The game ended up 51-0. An ugly rout, yes....but a long way from 91-0.

I am trying not to be judgmental as I don't have the facts. I have been officiating for 30 years and only once in that time did we see a team break 70. It just seems to me that if the coaches are on the same page and the officials are aware, a game can be safely managed to avoid that without jeopardizing safety and without asking kids to play anything less than 100%.

Case in point - had a CPS team with 15 kids dressed play a very respectable suburban power. It was 28-0 six minutes into the 1st quarter. There was communication between coached and with officials. The game ended up 51-0. An ugly rout, yes....but a long way from 91-0.

After being on both sides of lopsided scoring, 51-0 while the opposing team is playing 9th graders in hope now to score is just as embarrassing as the 91-0. I think too much emphasis is put on the better team to not hurt a team feelings. Most coaches would prefer not to be in this situation based on how difficult it is to manage on either side. You would prefer not to play the game.

We had a game week 2, was 64-6 early 4Q... Opposing team took 2 delay of game penalties, officials took a long time to spot and count and that melted about 7 minutes, enough time we could take knees when we got the ball..

Kids are resilient. While you hate to see that score, theyll bounce back. The only thing I hate is when a good program loses a game then takes it out on the defenseless one the next week.

Reactions: LHSTigers94
I hate scores like this. No one benefits from this kind of game, except the winning team gets the win. River Valley Coop should be made to discontinue football. Perhaps the conference should step in and remove them from football competition. If they forfeited games in each of the last few years, they are actually harming the other teams by taking a week out of their competitive schedule. Note to River Valley: maybe try soccer, cross country, chess club, anything but embarrassing your kids like this.

Kids are resilient. While you hate to see that score, theyll bounce back. The only thing I hate is when a good program loses a game then takes it out on the defenseless one the next week.

Don't think there are any LWE kids on this topic. Nice try. LOL

Reactions: Cross Bones
Another team in a similar situation though probably not as bad is Joliet Central. They have never won a game and lost last week to Oswego East 71-0. To their credit though I don't think they have forfeited any games.

I agree. We also have to keep in mind that both teams are small schools therefore there probably isn't a lot of depth to be subbing players.

River Valley Co-op, at 464 students, is the largest school, by far, in their conference. Luther North's actual enrollment is one-third the size of River Valley Co-op.

Chicago Hope Academy, with a multiplied enrollment of 338, has a 43 man varsity roster, 27 of whom are freshmen or sophs, according to Maxpreps.

Another team in a similar situation though probably not as bad is Joliet Central. They have never won a game and lost last week to Oswego East 71-0. To their credit though I don't think they have forfeited any games.
And they hadnt scheduled a CPL either. I have a certain amount of respect for that.

I had something similar in a youth game just yesterday. Clearly a mismatch. Winning coach had backups in on offense from the beginning. Then again it was 14-0 before they even had an offensive play (Kickoff return for TD, 3 and out, punt return for TD). Running clock was implemented in the 1st half. Winning coach didn't even want to play the 2nd half and didn't want to be on offense. Luckily after discussion we had the 3rd string offense (aka the backup lineman) running the ball in the 2nd half after we declared the 2nd half a scrimmage. I loved that personally.

At the high school level though I don't see how you can do that safely. I'm certain the backups were in early and if the backups are better than the other team's starters than I'm not sure what you can do.

you mean like Stagg;)
Nope. Stagg doesnt fall into that category. And 55-7 isnt that bad especially when it was 42-7 at half. Couple that with the fact we had only 2 offensives TDs in regulation all season and you have a recipe for needing to work out some issues. But I have seen us run up a Joliet Central score after a loss. When we used to rest some guys that week.

Hell, we had a JC game end 12-0 not too long ago.

I hate scores like this. No one benefits from this kind of game, except the winning team gets the win. River Valley Coop should be made to discontinue football. Perhaps the conference should step in and remove them from football competition. If they forfeited games in each of the last few years, they are actually harming the other teams by taking a week out of their competitive schedule. Note to River Valley: maybe try soccer, cross country, chess club, anything but embarrassing your kids like this.

Get real, Chuck. No team should be "made to discontinue football". This is a free country with free markets.

As a long time official, you've got the best perspective on the subject.

What I have noticed when there is a very lopsided score is that a lot of scoring happens on special teams. Punting from deep in your own territory results in a very short field for the receiving team and touchdown returns.

I notice the classier programs will not have anyone back to receive punts. They don't pressure the punter and offer plenty of time to get off a good kick. No punts get returned for TDs this way and it gives the offense more opportunity and more field to run their offense.

Start the running clock in 2nd quarter regardless of the rule. Been in multiple games on both sides where this was done.

Reactions: LHSTigers94
Get real, Chuck. No team should be "made to discontinue football". This is a free country with free markets.
None of that " free markets" stuff applies to high school anything, including football. And they can be forced to quit football by being kicked out of their conference for not being competitive, and then not being scheduled by any other team in the ihsa. I suppose when one of their kids get badly injured, it'll be the invisible hand that did it. Give me a break, they're high school kids.

It's very easy to manipulate the clock in these situations.

I agree. You have to really want to score 91 points in order to score that many points.

You can manage running off 5 minutes rather easily a series without gaining a first down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT