ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 9!?!?!

How many teams from one conference should make the playoffs? SWSC has 6 teams in. Five of those, including Andrew, are 8A schools. Maybe it is time for the SWSC to get rid of divisions?

Wish ESL would have went 7a so this game would have happened. Instead we get to follow ESL running clock the little sisters of the poor.
You have to remember that their "conference won't let them lay up." It's either that, or, "my dog ate my homework."

The same can be said about JCA and PC and a few others.

• Wow
Reactions: gobears25
How many teams from one conference should make the playoffs? SWSC has 6 teams in. Five of those, including Andrew, are 8A schools. Maybe it is time for the SWSC to get rid of divisions?
And be a closed conference? Absolutely not. I do recognize the systemic problem with the set up, and I applaud the efforts of the conference to attempt to address the problem even though the Red's relative weakness is no fault of the Blue schools, even though doing so exposes the conference as woke (in a football sense).

Andrew for example won 2/3 of their crossovers. Maybe it's a culture issue with the rest of the Red schools? They should look to Andrew as the model program.

You have to remember that their "conference won't let them lay up." It's either that, or, "my dog ate my homework."

I haven’t heard this. Those schools conferences won’t let them play up?

And be a closed conference? Absolutely not. I do recognize the systemic problem with the set up, and I applaud the efforts of the conference to attempt to address the problem even though the Red's relative weakness is no fault of the Blue schools, even though doing so exposes the conference as woke (in a football sense).
Andrew for example won 2/3 of their crossovers. Maybe it's a culture issue with the rest of the Red schools? They should look to Andrew as the model program.
Let's be sure any readers know their 2 cross-over wins were from the bottom 2 teams in Blue division play.

I like ESL's chances in 6A. However, they will face challenges from teams such as: Simeon, Crete, Lemont etc. To suggest they are not in the proper class and will just walk through it is insulting to the rest of 6A. No one from ESL is suggesting that, just morons such as MC63.

This constant bitching about teams not in the proper class is beyond tiresome. JCA and PC are not even favored in 4A. But, the uninformed seem to have difficulty understanding that.

8/8, 5/5/6 or the CCLESCC style 4 of 4?
What I heard is 1 game per school. 1st place in DVC vs 1st place in SWSB. The 6th place DVC would play the #1 in the Red. I cannot confirm this. I am not sure how the Red team would schedule the remainder of their schedule with that built in possibility.

What I heard is 1 game per school. 1st place in DVC vs 1st place in SWSB. The 6th place DVC would play the #1 in the Red. I cannot confirm this. I am not sure how the Red team would schedule the remainder of their schedule with that built in possibility.

I can confirm this. It begins next year based off the 2019 conference finish. Games will be played in Week 3. Bradley, LWC, LWW, and Stagg have already posted on the IHSA Open Dates for Week 3 next season.

Naperville North at Bolingbrook week 3 according to NN 8to18 site (change to 23-24 schedule) https://il.8to18.com/napervillenorth/schedules/football/b/v

Metea Valley vs Andrew week 3

Mt. Carmel will be a success-factor bump-up for the 2023 and 2024 seasons in addition to being hit with the non-boundary school multiplier and therefore will play 8A for the next 2 seasons.

That is my interpretation of the ihsa rules and I certainly could be wrong in my analysis but it’s how I read it.

In all honesty the success factor for non-boundaries schools only doesn’t seem fair. I get the multiplier because of having the ability to potentially bring in student-athletes from great distances but moving a team up a class due to tremendous playoff success over a two-year period would seem to be penalizing freshmen/sophomores who perhaps. Had nothing to do with great Success on the varsity.
I m not sure how underclassmen should be penalized by the varsity success of others.
And if the ihsa thinks that is fair, why does that rule not apply to Lena-Winslow or East St. Louis whose underclassmen are not penalized by the success factor of their varsity teams.
. I mean in the case of Mt. Carmel the ihsa already hits them with the non-boundary school multiplier which I get the reasoning for. Now it’s also applying the success factor bump—up and not applying it to all schools seems unfair.
It will be interesting to see if the non-boundary schools such as Mt.Carmel and small-school Decatur St. Teresa can compete at a higher level the next two years with a different set of kids.

A 10-team conference with a complete round robin means no non conference games.
But it also means that mathematically a 4-5 team from such A league can’t qualify for the playoffs due to a lack of “playoff points” which this year was the tiebreaker to determine which 4-5 teams got in and which didn’t.
While o don’t follow this league closely I think in saw that three teams finished 3-6 and lost their final game.
In theory a 4-5 team can make the playoffs but a 4-5 team from. 10-team closed conference cannot. I expect all 10-team leagues to l Split into two fives of n coming years.
Going the opposite way makes zero playoff sense.

Reactions: stl705
In theory a 4-5 team can make the playoffs but a 4-5 team from. 10-team closed conference cannot. I expect all 10-team leagues to l Split into two fives of n coming years.
Going the opposite way makes zero playoff sense.
Then, you create the problem of not qualifying for the playoff as a conference champion automatically. Also, as the SWSC conference has found after 3 seasons, creating an equitable division split is a huge problem if mandating multiple cross-overs. If you do it based upon enrollment, it is great for the 5 larger schools, but statistically unfair for the 5 smaller. This is evidenced by the 87% loss rate since SWSC began this (ICYMI from other posts).

MC doesn’t get hit with the success factor next year. They did not win a trophy last season so even if they win it this season they will not be success factored up to 8A. Theoretically I believe they would have to win or place second in 2023 & 2024 to have the success factor applied.

They only need to win 3 games (semi's) at minimum for two years to get success factored up to the next class. MC still wouldn't get hit with the success factor next year since they lost in the quarters last year.

They only need to win 3 games (semi's) at minimum for two years to get success factored up to the next class. MC still wouldn't get hit with the success factor next year since they lost in the quarters last year.
Wrong. Winning 3 playoff games in the two year cycle gets a private school enrollment multiplied by 1.65, which MC already is. That is NOT the success factor. The success factor is winning trophies in both years of the 2 year cycle, which results in the school being moved up a class. MC can not win trophies in both years of the current cycle since this is the second year of the cycle and they did not win one last year.

To make it simple read the above post by caravan8. He knows what is going on. Do not read the post by olderbytheminute, as his "interpretation" is wrong. And this is not the first thread he has been told that.

Wrong. Winning 3 playoff games in the two year cycle gets a private school enrollment multiplied by 1.65, which MC already is. That is NOT the success factor. The success factor is winning trophies in both years of the 2 year cycle, which results in the school being moved up a class. MC can not win trophies in both years of the current cycle since this is the second year of the cycle and they did not win one last year.

To make it simple read the above post by caravan8. He knows what is going on. Do not read the post by olderbytheminute, as his "interpretation" is wrong. And this is not the first thread he has been told that.
Aren't all non-boundary schools already multiplied by 1.65? Use the link below and go to page 99 or search "classification System". It says wins a trophy at state or for football wins at least 3 playoff games.

If schools don't achieve this they can apply for a waiver to have the 1.65 multiplier not applied.

Aren't all non-boundary schools already multiplied by 1.65? Use the link below and go to page 99 or search "classification System". It says wins a trophy at state or for football wins at least 3 playoff games.

If schools don't achieve this they can apply for a waiver to have the 1.65 multiplier not applied.

No. You even linked the handbook then use the word apply. The handbook clearly states the waiver is automatically applied if those 2 parameters aren’t met.

The only teams that can be success factored up from the results of this year’s playoffs are:

St. Rita
Fenwick
Joliet Catholic

if those teams make the finals again this year.

MC can win this year and next year and still not be success factored up in 2024 due to the non-rolling two year classification window. Of course, they will continue to be multiplied for the next two years if they beat Buffalo Grove like any other non-boundary school that achieves 3 wins overall in the playoffs in 2021 and 2022.

I like ESL's chances in 6A. However, they will face challenges from teams such as: Simeon, Crete, Lemont etc. To suggest they are not in the proper class and will just walk through it is insulting to the rest of 6A. No one from ESL is suggesting that, just morons such as MC63.

This constant bitching about teams not in the proper class is beyond tiresome. JCA and PC are not even favored in 4A. But, the uninformed seem to have difficulty understanding that.
My point is that ESL has a dominant, powerful program beyond the scope of most, if no all, 6A teams. As a result, it's unrealistic for actual 6A teams to compete with them on an equal basis. Sorry this is so confusing for you.

Reactions: corey90
No. You even linked the handbook then use the word apply. The handbook clearly states the waiver is automatically applied if those 2 parameters aren’t met.

The only teams that can be success factored up from the results of this year’s playoffs are:

St. Rita
Fenwick
Joliet Catholic

if those teams make the finals again this year.

MC can win this year and next year and still not be success factored up in 2024 due to the non-rolling two year classification window. Of course, they will continue to be multiplied for the next two years if they beat Buffalo Grove like any other non-boundary school that achieves 3 wins overall in the playoffs in 2021 and 2022.
Correct. Thank you, I worded that poorly. I'm aware MC wouldn't be success factored up this year or next. My reason for the comment was due to someone saying 3 wins in the playoffs didn't qualify for success factor.

Correct. Thank you, I worded that poorly. I'm aware MC wouldn't be success factored up this year or next. My reason for the comment was due to someone saying 3 wins in the playoffs didn't qualify for success factor.
Correct. 3 wins in the playoffs does not qualify a team for the success factor.

Just let me know when MC petition to play 8A. They did beat LA who is one of the favorites right?

To all other MC posters, I know MC63 is in a world of his own and doesn't reflect the opinions of others.
Bluto: yes, we beat LA, an 8A school, as well as Marist, also 8A. However, we play a range of teams and we're just right at 7A. Some schools are where they should be, and that's us. Note the spirited conversation regarding whether or not we would be "success factored" up next season. Personally, I hope so. (BTW, we are 2 -2 in state championship games at the very highest level for that season).

• Haha
Reactions: chiliconcarne
Then, you create the problem of not qualifying for the playoff as a conference champion automatically. Also, as the SWSC conference has found after 3 seasons, creating an equitable division split is a huge problem if mandating multiple cross-overs. If you do it based upon enrollment, it is great for the 5 larger schools, but statistically unfair for the 5 smaller. This is evidenced by the 87% loss rate since SWSC began this (ICYMI from other posts).
First of all, find me a five-team league that did not quality a team for the playoffs. The non-automatic bid to a five-team league still gets a team in the playoffs. Every five-team league this year is represented by at least one team.
And who you are burning with a 10-team closed league is the 4-5 team which can't qualify for the playoffs with a 10-team closed league but could qualify if. its schedule includes four division games, two crossovers and three non-conference games against opponents it can actually beat.
This 10-team league is, as I get from you, is very lopsided in terms of the haves and have nots. Then, separate by five haves in one half, five have nots in the other half, and play just two crossovers with three non-cons of your choosing. A bad team could go 3-1 in its division, 0-2 in crossovers against the powerhouse division, and 2-1 in cleverly scheduled non-cons and finish 5-4 and make the playoffs. A bad team could go 4-0 in its division, 0-2 in crossovers and 1-2 in the non-cons and finish 5-4.
That gives the bad teams some hope. Heck, if you schedule with luck, your non-cons might even be against teams that wind up winning a lot of games for playoff points that could make you a contender for the posteason at 4-5.
The argument of not having an automatic playoff berth is not worth mentioning unless you're in the two-team Chicago Catholic LeagueDivision that has just two. teams.
I just think 10-team closed leagues are going tobe historyl.
In the 10-team closed Fox Valley this year, 4 teams got into the playoffs with five or more wins. Two teams finished 4-5 but it was impossible for them to have enough playoff points in the closed league to make the postseason. In contrast, there were teams in the state with 47 or 48 playoff points and a 4-5 record that could at least have their fingers crossed regarding making the playoffs.
As it turned out, only one 4-5 team got in THIS YEAR. If there are fewer teams playing football next year, perhaps the number of 4-5s grows from one to a higher number. Who knows? Or maybe the IHSA decides to allow all the Chicago Public League teams to be playoff eligible and the 4-5 teams will be completely shut out and so will a lot of 5-4 teams. I don't know.
What I do know is this: 13 schools from the Chicago Catholic League's 22-team league made the playoffs. including a team that went 0-3 in league play. The smaller league (four teams) seems to work perfectly for that league.
Maybe your league should find two more schools and have three four-team divisoins based on team strength.\
There is no perfect solution when a league is lopsided. But that's the case in just about every 8-10 team league.
Hopefully, you are happy with the results of your six qualifiers.
I personally don't have a team. I'm just an old guy who enjoys football.

Reactions: johnndoe
Well that escalated quickly, I mean it really got out of control……How did we blow through 9 weeks like that.

1 - That we thought we knew how the NLCC would end up and we are wrong.
2 - That Maine S and LWE win the “we’re gonna try and screw up everyone’s bracket award- just kidding.”
3 - That Morris, well something happened there.
4 - That the hook and ladder is one of the great plays in football - Iggy thinks so, Fenwick not so much.
5 - That I hadn’t seen a Friday week 9 like this in a long time and it was glorious
6 - That Montini needs to go back to the Coach A days.
7 - That Mt Carmel wins the battle and likely won’t be tested again.
8 - That something just didn’t feel right about 75F football this past weekend.
9 - That all but one 2021 champion didn’t make the 2022 field and only 2 runners up missed.
10 - That there are no guarantees once the playoffs start.

Best of luck to the 256 teams that get to keep playing.
#9- Wheaton North and Lockport are both in the playoffs.

Bluto: yes, we beat LA, an 8A school, as well as Marist, also 8A. However, we play a range of teams and we're just right at 7A. Some schools are where they should be, and that's us. Note the spirited conversation regarding whether or not we would be "success factored" up next season. Personally, I hope so. (BTW, we are 2 -2 in state championship games at the very highest level for that season).
I guess you said something by calling me out my name. Reality is you just gave excuses. When LA dropped to 7A, they petitioned up. Why not MC?
Also, do you have any openings for next year?

Consider me ALL ON BOARD for smaller 5 team divisions! I agree, think it makes too much sense moving forward.

The ONLY downside is does it create a squeeze of 1/2 the state trying to schedule the same few “gimme” schools? Or is there enough gimme schools to spread wins across a whole state of 4-5 team divisions? I think it’s more likely to be a squeeze.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT