ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 9!?!?!

I guess you said something by calling me out my name. Reality is you just gave excuses. When LA dropped to 7A, they petitioned up. Why not MC?
Also, do you have any openings for next year?
First, we don't do everything LA does just because we're both Catholic schools. Despite our win this year, we're well behind them in the recent results between the two schools. Second, I might be wrong (and I'm sure someone will point it out if I am), but LA has quite a few more boys than us. Third, For some odd reason, MC doesn't allow me to set their schedule. Hmmm.

First, we don't do everything LA does just because we're both Catholic schools. Despite our win this year, we're well behind them in the recent results between the two schools. Second, I might be wrong (and I'm sure someone will point it out if I am), but LA has quite a few more boys than us. Third, For some odd reason, MC doesn't allow me to set their schedule. Hmmm.
MC have more boys than ESL enrollment yet you find a way to keep discussing playing in 6A. The sad part is you don’t realize that ESL petitioned to be in 6A.

MC have more boys than ESL enrollment yet you find a way to keep discussing playing in 6A. The sad part is you don’t realize that ESL petitioned to be in 6A.
Tiger - we all know that this isn’t really an issue for many of us. ESL always played 7A and I for one enjoyed the battles between our schools. Both MC & ESL, along with JCA are at the top of the all time wins as well as Championships lists and should all be celebrated.

As to why MC doesn’t petition up… I believed in 2013 they would after winning 8A in 2012, however they didn’t. After winning 7A that year Coach Frank made sure to mention that MC was the first school to win a title in 5A, 6A, 7A & 8A. So I think that played into it. When multiplied MC lands in 7A pretty much every year. When multiplied LA lands in 8A every year, which is why I believe LA petitioned up after being waved from the multiplier in 2021. That would be my reasoning for the difference in schools decisions, might not be a great reason but that’s the only one I come up with.

Tiger - we all know that this isn’t really an issue for many of us. ESL always played 7A and I for one enjoyed the battles between our schools. Both MC & ESL, along with JCA are at the top of the all time wins as well as Championships lists and should all be celebrated.

As to why MC doesn’t petition up… I believed in 2013 they would after winning 8A in 2012, however they didn’t. After winning 7A that year Coach Frank made sure to mention that MC was the first school to win a title in 5A, 6A, 7A & 8A. So I think that played into it. When multiplied MC lands in 7A pretty much every year. When multiplied LA lands in 8A every year, which is why I believe LA petitioned up after being waved from the multiplier in 2021. That would be my reasoning for the difference in schools decisions, might not be a great reason but that’s the only one I come up with.
Agreed. It’s not an issue at all. You have one guy that likes to talk about it so sometimes I entertain him. It’s kind of like visiting the retirement home playing chess with one of the elders. He enjoys the dialog.

Been there and won that.

There isnt really a difference in the level of competition between 7A & 8A. Heck some years 6A is better than both.
And 5A is better than 6A, and 4A is better than 5A, and 3A is better than 4A, and 2A is better than 3A, and 1A is better than 2A.

Therefore the best teams in state are 1A. That's why we have classes to protect LWE from Foreston.

First of all, find me a five-team league that did not quality a team for the playoffs. The non-automatic bid to a five-team league still gets a team in the playoffs. Every five-team league this year is represented by at least one team.
Bradley in 7A, an undefeated 5-4 conference champ in a 5-team division, made the playoffs due to securing their 5th win over a Chicago charter school with an enrollment of 408, one-fifth of theirs.

In all seriousness, the ESL guys keep saying that their conference won't let them petition up ... so how did they do it to 6A?

Agreed. It’s not an issue at all. You have one guy that likes to talk about it so sometimes I entertain him. It’s kind of like visiting the retirement home playing chess with one of the elders. He enjoys the dialog.
why are you so hung up on my age? Whenever someone tries to get the better of me and continually fails, he plays the age card. What annoys me, here, is your failure to be clever. Visiting a home? Can't you do better?

BTW, I'm 77. You should hope to live so long (many don't)

Reactions: Gene K.
Aren't all non-boundary schools already multiplied by 1.65? Use the link below and go to page 99 or search "classification System". It says wins a trophy at state or for football wins at least 3 playoff games.

If schools don't achieve this they can apply for a waiver to have the 1.65 multiplier not applied.

Basically the way I read it and I believe it is enforced is

1) the multiplier of 1.65 is applied to any school that either wins a trophy at state in a 2 year cycle or wins 3 playoff games in a 2 year cycle. If a team accomplishes neither of those two things, the multiplier is automatically waived for the next 2 year cycle.

2) the Success Adjustment (page 103 of the rule book linked above) states that to have the success adjustment added to your multiplier, you must win a trophy both years if a 2 year cycle. The cycles do not overlap, so MC would need to win a trophy in 2023 & 2024 to have the success adjustment added to their multiplier.

Every year without fail……

GPC7mIj.gif

why are you so hung up on my age? Whenever someone tries to get the better of me and continually fails, he plays the age card. What annoys me, here, is your failure to be clever. Visiting a home? Can't you do better?

Have never made the attempt to get the better of you. Must be confusing me with someone else. You typically kick off the name calling with everyone that don’t agree with you. It is what it is!

Maybe that’s the energy you put out in the universe. I think most of us have the same thought. Angry old man sitting on his front lawn in some weird north suburb no one has ever heard of wearing head to toe colors that resemble the business end of a portapotty of a school 45 miles away and yelling at kids who are out being kids. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
In all seriousness, the ESL guys keep saying that their conference won't let them petition up ... so how did they do it to 6A?
Their conference by laws were changed to prohibit any conference school from electing up to 7A or 8A. It was all the other conference schools clearly targeting ESL to keep them out of the higher classes so all the other conference schools couldn’t be eliminated by ESL.

so ESL can comply and stay 6A and below. Or they can go without a conference.

given their geography and the difficulty of finding regular season games especially weeks 4-9, they don’t really have a choice. They still elected up to 6A from a likely 5A spot, which is the absolute most they were allowed to do.

Their conference by laws were changed to prohibit any conference school from electing up to 7A or 8A. It was all the other conference schools clearly targeting ESL to keep them out of the higher classes so all the other conference schools couldn’t be eliminated by ESL.

so ESL can comply and stay 6A and below. Or they can go without a conference.

given their geography and the difficulty of finding regular season games especially weeks 4-9, they don’t really have a choice. They still elected up to 6A from a likely 5A spot, which is the absolute most they were allowed to do.
With the way they schedule nationally wouldn’t it be advantageous to leave the conference and play a national schedule with some of the Missouri and Illinois teams dropped in?

Reactions: FballDaddy
With the way they schedule nationally wouldn’t it be advantageous to leave the conference and play a national schedule with some of the Missouri and Illinois teams dropped in?
That’s a lot easier said than done. Most big national matchups happen in the first 2-4 weeks because most schools are locked in to conference play later on.

being a high school football independent is not fun. Even if you can piecemeal 9 opponents take, you’re always scrambling and really have to take whatever you can find weeks 4 through 9, and there may not be a ton to choose from. Then there’s the fundraising needed to play a few more games across the region/nation. And most importantly, no AD is going to sacrifice their conference home for football if it is going to totally mess up your basketball, wrestling, track, volleyball, etc programs.

being independent in football is a pain. Being independent in all sports leads to churning out a new AD every year because who wants to deal with finding 25-35 independent opponents for every sport at every level when you can go down the road and have half your job done already with conference scheduling?

Last edited:
Maybe that’s the energy you put out in the universe. I think most of us have the same thought. Angry old man sitting on his front lawn in some weird north suburb no one has ever heard of wearing head to toe colors that resemble the business end of a portapotty of a school 45 miles away and yelling at kids who are out being kids. 🤷‍♂️
I see that you're back ... still with that age stuff. Can't you guys hire a writer or something?

your response to LHSTigers translates directly to "my dog ate my homework".

I follow THE Mount Carmel, The stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' and dealin' Golden Aces.
You forgot the sipping fine scotch and cigar smoking part! 🤣

Reactions: gobears25
It is almost impossible to schedule 9 games nationally.

Reactions: eireog

I follow THE Mount Carmel, The stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' and dealin' Golden Aces.
I still say Chicago MC should do a Junction Boys trip to Rend Lake or similar and work in a full pads scrim against the Golden Aces in the Snake Pit.

I have a fondness for your MC. In the late 60s, I was stationed for a year at a small AF site located on the Indiana ANG base in Terre Haute. The guard had many, many civilian employees - mostly from that state. But, despite these jobs being state political appointments, there were a bunch of guys from across the border ... including some from Mt. Carmel. It was the first time any of us had met anyone from the other school. There was some good natured ribbing, but that's all. Ever since, I've always rooted for you guys. BTW, as a bartender at the NCO Club, I got to meet Tommy John, Tommy McCraw and the Van Arsdales. Go Aces!

Reactions: Gene K. and dweise
I have a fondness for your MC. In the late 60s, I was stationed for a year at a small AF site located on the Indiana ANG base in Terre Haute. The guard had many, many civilian employees - mostly from that state. But, despite these jobs being state political appointments, there were a bunch of guys from across the border ... including some from Mt. Carmel. It was the first time any of us had met anyone from the other school. There was some good natured ribbing, but that's all. Ever since, I've always rooted for you guys. BTW, as a bartender at the NCO Club, I got to meet Tommy John, Tommy McCraw and the Van Arsdales. Go Aces!
So is that how he originally hurt his elbow?
Tipping a few too many with you at the tap?

I'm going to go against the grain here and say MC63 may be on to something here. I'm not sure if it was him or someone else that had suggested that 8A become an open class. Leave 2 or 4 spots open every year that will allow someone from ANY class to petition up to 8A. If nobody petitions up that year, ok, fill it with 8A schools. I believe ESL would accept this challenge this year. If their conference doesn't like it, oh well. Could you imagine a quarterfinal weekend featuring ESL, Loyola, MC and LWE !
I keep thinking about last year's championship games. Could that incredible JCA team have beaten Lockport ? We'll never know. If JCA was that good last year let them petition up. If the don't, that tells the story then. Somehow I believe they would have.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say MC63 may be on to something here. I'm not sure if it was him or someone else that had suggested that 8A become an open class. Leave 2 or 4 spots open every year that will allow someone from ANY class to petition up to 8A. If nobody petitions up that year, ok, fill it with 8A schools. I believe ESL would accept this challenge this year. If their conference doesn't like it, oh well. Could you imagine a quarterfinal weekend featuring ESL, Loyola, MC and LWE !
I keep thinking about last year's championship games. Could that incredible JCA team have beaten Lockport ? We'll never know. If JCA was that good last year let them petition up. If the don't, that tells the story then. Somehow I believe they would have.
Interesting idea but then your giving those 8A teams that would have made the playoffs the shaft by leaving 2-4 spots open and keeping them out of the playoffs. Especially when you consider that if a team like JCA last year would have taken one of those spots then an extra 4A team gets in that probably shouldn't have.

Interesting discussion, but unless I’m missing the mark, teams can petition up to whatever class up until a certain date.
If a team or teams petitions up, then they fill a spot in that class and the rest of the teams in the playoffs field follow and fill in accordingly. We already have a few examples of this currently - IC, JCA, ESL and Loyola are the ones I’m aware of, although only Loyola went up to 8A.

In other words, 8A is already technically an “open class.”

No - an interesting concept ... as long as those 4 teams being replaced still get to be in the tourney.

No - an interesting concept ... as long as those 4 teams being replaced still get to be in the tourney.
It is with GREAT hesitation I utter these scary words "I agee with MC63", oh that's kinda hurt.

It would still be the very same 256 teams in the playoffs, they would just get bumped down a little until the vacancies created by the teams opting up to Open Class were filled. Interesting Idea.

It is with GREAT hesitation I utter these scary words "I agee with MC63", oh that's kinda hurt.

It would still be the very same 256 teams in the playoffs, they would just get bumped down a little until the vacancies created by the teams opting up to Open Class were filled. Interesting Idea.
People have recovered from worse ... but not too many

Reactions: corey90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT