ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 9!?!?!

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
Well that escalated quickly, I mean it really got out of control……How did we blow through 9 weeks like that.

1 - That we thought we knew how the NLCC would end up and we are wrong.
2 - That Maine S and LWE win the “we’re gonna try and screw up everyone’s bracket award- just kidding.”
3 - That Morris, well something happened there.
4 - That the hook and ladder is one of the great plays in football - Iggy thinks so, Fenwick not so much.
5 - That I hadn’t seen a Friday week 9 like this in a long time and it was glorious
6 - That Montini needs to go back to the Coach A days.
7 - That Mt Carmel wins the battle and likely won’t be tested again.
8 - That something just didn’t feel right about 75F football this past weekend.
9 - That all but one 2021 champion didn’t make the 2022 field and only 2 runners up missed.
10 - That there are no guarantees once the playoffs start.

Best of luck to the 256 teams that get to keep playing.

The real season starts now ! There is good film on everyone. All top 8A teams have shown flaws. HS football is won with talented athletes, depth, solid coaching and little good luck. Good luck to everyone cheering for their team. Let's go 🎢💯

The real season starts now ! There is good film on everyone. All top 8A teams have shown flaws. HS football is won with talented athletes, depth, solid coaching and little good luck. Good luck to everyone cheering for their team. Let's go 🎢💯
Except for the upstate 8

4-5 and playoff bids are a thing now.
Welcome to the dance Buffalo Grove. Now, let’s see what ya got.
200.gif

I watched the game live. Two talented teams, but neither close to disciplined enough to win 5 straight against quality teams.

MC has a better shot than Loyola because of general weakness in 7A
Weakness is 7A? That’s another joke of a comment. MC just won 9 straight and swept CCL Blue teams on the way to CCL Blue Title. Not bad for an undisciplined team? Oh, and Loyola just came a win away from doing the same. But neither team is good enough? 😂😂

Two talented teams, but neither close to disciplined enough to win 5 straight against quality teams.
MC definitely had more penalties as the season went on, I am hopeful that the coaches & players will get it cleaned up.

8 of MC’s 9 opponents made the playoffs this season (none with a losing record) so they have managed to win a few consecutive games against quality opponents. Maybe a little closer to disciplined enough than they showed yesterday.

I watched the game live. Two talented teams, but neither close to disciplined enough to win 5 straight against quality teams.

I don’t buy the not disciplined argument. These two teams have great coaching and teach discipline. Maybe they know each other so we’ll that it makes them take more risks to get an advantage. I don’t know but both programs and teams are very good. I don’t know what will happen in the playoffs but I do know they both will be a problem.

Neither Mt. Carmel or Loyola will win state in 5 weeks.
I watched yesterday's game on television. It was my first look at the two teams this year. Both teams seem very solid/excellent in almost every way, so I do not share your conviction. However, one potential flaw caught my eye for each team that just might be enough to cost them a championship. That flaw is the position of running back.

The Loyola running back seemed very average. He was a good pass catcher and Loyola used him well in that respect, but on running plays he went down easily and immediately upon contact. He did not break tackles and there were almost no yards after contact the entire game. I was surprised to see that from the Loyola program. As a consequence, they used their quarterback a fair amount (as a runner) to make up for the deficiency. He was effective but such use makes him susceptible to injury.

Mt. Carmel is in a better position at running back. Darrion Dupree is excellent. However, I thought I saw him limp off the field in the first half and, although I could be wrong, don't recall seeing him at all in the second half. Could he be injured? Number 30, although shifty and quick, is not nearly as powerful as Dupree and therefore not nearly as effective.

Those are the only flaws I saw from these two outstanding teams.

P.S. Mt. Carmel cleaned up the penalties considerably in the second half.

That playoffs pairings pitting 2 city schools against each other makes me smile.And that preseason predictions mean nothing.Argo & Chicago Christian got 5 wins only but are in the playoffs despite being picked to finish in the basement

Reactions: Anomalyout28

You’re way offsides with your reasoning and to call either of these storied IL powers undisciplined. These are teenagers, this game has been all the hype since August and the talk of the town the last 2 weeks. They came out pumped up with adrenaline and some emotions got the better. No punches thrown or cheap shots given. They cleaned it up and settled down. They both made amazing plays offensively and defensively. It was a classic and both teams should be commended. It’s your right to feel that way, but it’s my right to strongly disagree. If MC loses the next month it won’t be because they are undisciplined I guarantee that. Watch the SR, Marist, or Ignatius game on You Tube and tell me how undisciplined MC played and how it costed them in their 35-3, 42-7 or 49-17 wins.

Last edited:
i believe we said the same thing about Brother Rice in 7A last year and it didn’t work out to well for them.
I don’t remember anyone saying that. Not with Rita and Wheaton North and Batavia and MC waiting in the wings. Although with a healthy Lausch, they would have had a much better chance.

Reactions: rjjtwest
i believe we said the same thing about Brother Rice in 7A last year and it didn’t work out to well for them.
You’re correct. You never know until it’s played. But you can’t fault anyone for predicting BR to win 7A last year and I think if Lausch was able to run against Wheaton North they might have won it all, but you can’t predict injuries, but they certainly play a part.

Missing the playoffs for the first time in over a decade, but having 4-5 sophs contribute on Varsity, winning conference at the sophomore level and going undefeated at the freshman level...Season's like this won't be the norm for the Panthers and Oswego.

That MC was "undisciplined" but still emerged victorious. That if they had played within themselves, as they have done for most of the season, it wouldn't have even been close.

Last edited:
Reactions: dweise
STOP READING NOW (if final update for SWSC Blue vs Red Division crossover outcomes in this 3rd season of use will jam you up). Blue wins 13 and Red 2 with a 23 ppg avg. win margin for the former. Since inception, 39 Blue wins against 6 losses (87%) with a seasonal average point victory differential of 25 ppg for the Blue.
Finally, see the effects this season on a Red playoff qualifier's seeding from having all your 4 division opponents lose all 3 of their crossover games (happened this year) and the subsequent result of having 12 fewer playoff points. Andrew (6-3) faced this situation to set their 8A seeding to #24 as opposed to #19.
Bradley (5-4), the other Red side qualifier, went down 10 playoff points with the crossover losses from their fellow division teams. So they run the table in the Red, split their 2 non-cons and, in line with an 87% history of dropping a cross-over game, end up losing all 3. Granted, these games were close, but still counted as losses. Their seeding was not severely affected, but coming in at 5-4 in 7A is not helpful.

STOP READING NOW (if final update for SWSC Blue vs Red Division crossover outcomes in this 3rd season of use will jam you up). Blue wins 13 and Red 2 with a 23 ppg avg. win margin for the former. Since inception, 39 Blue wins against 6 losses (87%) with a seasonal average point victory differential of 25 ppg for the Blue.
Finally, see the effects this season on a Red playoff qualifier's seeding from having all your 4 division opponents lose all 3 of their crossover games (happened this year) and the subsequent result of having 12 fewer playoff points. Andrew (6-3) faced this situation to set their 8A seeding to #24 as opposed to #19.
Bradley (5-4), the other Red side qualifier, went down 10 playoff points with the crossover losses from their fellow division teams. So they run the table in the Red, split their 2 non-cons and, in line with an 87% history of dropping a cross-over game, end up losing all 3. Granted, these games were close, but still counted as losses. Their seeding was not severely affected, but coming in at 5-4 in 7A is not helpful.
Probably didn’t help Andrew that a quality opponent like Oswego, had a down year.

Reactions: johnndoe

The wins:

Andrew over Bolingbrook (2019)
Andrew over Lockport (2022)
Andrew over Sandburg (2022)
LWW over Sandburg (2019)
LWW over HF (2020)
LWW over HF (2021)
Bradley over Sandburg (2019)

Tough for all teams, but especially tough for LWC and Stagg.

It's also odd to me that Sandburg doesn't always play Andrew and Stagg, their district rivals. Andrew has only played Sandburg 13 times in 45 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT