ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 3!?!

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
So far so good right? Here we go for week 3.

1 - That we are 1/3 the way through the season and still don’t know too much
2 - That if Loyola is really in 7A there will be much rejoicing by 8A schools
3 - That two once proud programs - Stevenson and Nazareth are 0-3 and don’t look to have a path to 5 wins
4 - That Wauconda was supposed to be in a rebuilding year
5 - That Cary Grove is back to doing Cary Grove things that the rest of 6A won’t like
6 - That a Batavia Wheaton N rematch would be nice thank you.
7 - That despite the outcomes in some cases Illinois HS football plays just fine vs elite out of state teams.
8 - That Barrington has righted the ship for now in the MSL West Conf games await.
9 - That all GBW does is win, but we already knew that.
10 - That very quietly Libertyville is 3-0 and could emerge as the challenger to Warren in the NSC.

That’s it, on to week 4.

So far so good right? Here we go for week 3.

1 - That we are 1/3 the way through the season and still don’t know too much
2 - That if Loyola is really in 7A there will be much rejoicing by 8A schools
3 - That two once proud programs - Stevenson and Nazareth are 0-3 and don’t look to have a path to 5 wins
4 - That Wauconda was supposed to be in a rebuilding year
5 - That Cary Grove is back to doing Cary Grove things that the rest of 6A won’t like
6 - That a Batavia Wheaton N rematch would be nice thank you.
7 - That despite the outcomes in some cases Illinois HS football plays just fine vs elite out of state teams.
8 - That Barrington has righted the ship for now in the MSL West Conf games await.
9 - That all GBW does is win, but we already knew that.
10 - That very quietly Libertyville is 3-0 and could emerge as the challenger to Warren in the NSC.

That’s it, on to week 4.

Loyola should be in 8A. Their team is as deep as any 8A team. IMO they are the best team in the state. I feel like the reason they were moved down to 7A was a loop hole in the IHSA rules and not playing in 2020 due to covid shut down. I am not saying they wouldn’t win 8A I think they would but it might be more of a challenge once they got to the playoffs? I maybe wrong, what does everyone else think?

Loyola should be in 8A. Their team is as deep as any 8A team. IMO they are the best team in the state. I feel like the reason they were moved down to 7A was a loop hole in the IHSA rules and not playing in 2020 due to covid shut down. I am not saying they wouldn’t win 8A I think they would but it might be more of a challenge once they got to the playoffs? I maybe wrong, what does everyone else think?
Do that and let ESL take their 7A spot. Stay away from 6A!

I think the question is: can they petition up? If so, did / will they? I have no idea. Anyone?

On one hand Loyola should be 8A and I wish they were (along with Rice). On the other hand I look forward to seeing the havoc they wreak in 7A.

Reactions: corey90
Was Loyola is really good mentioned already? If not, Loyola is really good. Also the young Caravan are fun to watch, will be a great game this week at Marist.

Reactions: Bowie50
Who’s sleeping on them? They are ranked #13. And how does this fit into “What did we learn?”

Maybe that we've learned that they're better than their #13 ranking (beating 2 ranked teams) while Warren, LWE, NC have lost games and are ranked higher. Not to mention St. Rita with 2 losses.

Reactions: USD24
Maybe that we've learned that they're better than their #13 ranking (beating 2 ranked teams) while Warren, LWE, NC have lost games and are ranked higher. Not to mention St. Rita with 2 losses.
Don’t think for a minute LWE is a cupcake. Losing away by a field goal away. East will only get better and better as the season progresses. East is young and hungry. Very well coached and dangerous. Don’t get a head of yourself be happy your #13. All this will correct itself by playoff time. 😊

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
Are you saying NV would beat those three teams as well as they 2 teams they lost to?

Marist just rolls on. Not sure they win a game in the Blue but I watch them take the field. Their O line looks like a college team. D is faster than last year but much smaller. IMO all falls on their willingness to run the football and control the clock.

Reactions: Anomalyout28
Don’t think for a minute LWE is a cupcake. Losing away by a field goal away. East will only get better and better as the season progresses. East is young and hungry. Very well coached and dangerous. Don’t get a head of yourself be happy your #13. All this will correct itself by playoff time. 😊

Are you saying NV would beat those three teams as well as they 2 teams they lost to?
Yes, since they already beat a top 10 ranked team St. Mary's from STL who had a receiver that holds 30+ offers and a team that will most likely win state in Missouri. MO is a state that is almost identical in talent level as IL. But as NapervilleBuck said, we will find out for sure when they play NC in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: NapervilleBuck
Keep sleeping on Neuqua Valley.

NV always has a ton of talent and disappoints but this year may be different since the QB is a special player, I don’t know if he is a big time college player but he is one of the best HS QBs I’ve seen in a long time. The 99 yard TD pass was perfectly thrown pass into really good coverage and his 70 yard TD was a play where WWS misaligned and he saw it and took the snap and ran right to weak spot on his own. Most QBs at the HS don’t read defenses and process things like him, kid is a special player so enjoy it @NapervilleBuck

NV always has a ton of talent and disappoints but this year may be different since the QB is a special player, I don’t know if he is a big time college player but he is one of the best HS QBs I’ve seen in a long time. The 99 yard TD pass was perfectly thrown pass into really good coverage and his 70 yard TD was a play where WWS misaligned and he saw it and took the snap and ran right to weak spot on his own. Most QBs at the HS don’t read defenses and process things like him, kid is a special player so enjoy it @NapervilleBuck
He's slippery too, breaks a lot of tackles.

This is by far the most explosive Cary Grove Team, maybe ever, but at least since the 1st State Championship team of 2009. 7 plays, 4 TD? against the 8th ranked team in the 6A. I've never seen anything like it.

Spot on. I’ve been watching NV since it opened. We’ve had some decent QBs but this current run of Rutter, Gronowski, and now Mennecke is pretty special. All 3 have different skill sets.

Rutter had a great arm and tremendous touch.

Gronowski was a field general. He did whatever the team needed. Deep balls, out patterns, running the RPO and taking off. Special talent and tough as a $2 steak.

Mennecke has “it”. Can’t describe “it” but he has it in spades. Deadly accurate with a lively arm, a feel for the game that is almost eerie. Like @ClownBaby said, that run against WWS was beautiful. He fooled the entire D as well as the entire crowd watching the game. Fast snap and he went right over the C and was gone.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dapiech and Gene K.
Both states have 30 players in the rivals list of recruits for 2022. That was my basis for the comment. Why do you think its inaccurate?
Look at 2019-21. Top 10s are pretty similar with Big Ten heavyweights, SEC and ND. Missouri talent drops off pretty quick and averages about 40 D1 players a year. Illinois typically has about 75 D1 a year.

Reactions: USD24
Look at 2019-21. Top 10s are pretty similar with Big Ten heavyweights, SEC and ND. Missouri talent drops off pretty quick and averages about 40 D1 players a year. Illinois typically has about 75 D1 a year.
I wasnt aware of that, but good point. At least for 2022, things seem to be even though. I still think NV beat as quality a team as any in the top 10 in IL.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT