ADVERTISEMENT

What changes would you make to the IHSA football championship weekend?

MC63

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Lake County
I'd make three:

First, I'd play the 1A, 3A, 5A and 7A games on Friday, and the other four on Saturday. As it stands now, the 4A game is broadcast in prime time on Friday. Let's face it ... that game doesn't attract much of a TV audience. A 7A game, however, featuring Hersey or Batavia against SR or MC would do much better in the ratings and raise the profile of prep football in the state..

Secondly, I'd move the games to DeKalb on a permanent basis. The Mausoleum in Champaign is an extremely dreary venue.

I'd shorten the awards ceremonies after each game. Does the fourth game of the day ever start less than an hour late? Among other things, you could award the trophies to both schools on the field, but let the schools present the individual medals at their assembly on Monday.

Your suggestions?

I'm with you on the even/odd split for each day.

Good luck getting the games moved to DeKalb. The schools south of I-74 would have a fit.

Game Times:

Hour buffer would help improve the start times of the later games each day. Illinois St is the perfect size and place for the games, but they have no interest in hosting.

I don't know why the IHSA doesn't do multiple site state championship games. The reason? Classes 1A to 5A are basically north / south splits, with the N/S split about Champaign in many cases. 6A to 8A are dominantly from north of I-80. Why not play 1A to 4A in Champaign on Friday, and 5A to 8A in DeKalb on Saturday? The Illini could then still play on Saturday.

I don't like the even/odd concept proposed by others. Many conferences are split in size for football between two classes. Let's use 2014: Wilmington won 3A, Coal City was in the 4A semis. If they would both have made it, why make I-8 fans go twice, or spend the night? From a tourism standpoint, you want them to spend the night. Right now the split between 4A & 5A primarily affects the Leonards (SHG & Rochester). But I don't think even & odd helps the experience for anyone...

Split site might also deal with some TV issues. What if 1A & 2A played in Champaign on Friday at 10 & 4, while 5A & 6A played in DeKalb at 1 & 7? The games should start on time...although I don't really like the idea. If the only TV issue was with the Chicago market, I could understand. But this is the whole state....

Game Times:

Hour buffer would help improve the start times of the later games each day. Illinois St is the perfect size and place for the games, but they have no interest in hosting.

That would make for a very long day. TV would have a huge challenge trying to fill all the down time.

I don't know why the IHSA doesn't do multiple site state championship games. The reason? Classes 1A to 5A are basically north / south splits, with the N/S split about Champaign in many cases. 6A to 8A are dominantly from north of I-80. Why not play 1A to 4A in Champaign on Friday, and 5A to 8A in DeKalb on Saturday? The Illini could then still play on Saturday.

I don't like the even/odd concept proposed by others. Many conferences are split in size for football between two classes. Let's use 2014: Wilmington won 3A, Coal City was in the 4A semis. If they would both have made it, why make I-8 fans go twice, or spend the night? From a tourism standpoint, you want them to spend the night. Right now the split between 4A & 5A primarily affects the Leonards (SHG & Rochester). But I don't think even & odd helps the experience for anyone...

Split site might also deal with some TV issues. What if 1A & 2A played in Champaign on Friday at 10 & 4, while 5A & 6A played in DeKalb at 1 & 7? The games should start on time...although I don't really like the idea. If the only TV issue was with the Chicago market, I could understand. But this is the whole state....

How often does it happen that a conference has representatives in two classes on Thanksgiving weekend? Even if they do, should the whole state have to compromise for them?

Regarding TV, the Chicago market generates the overwhelming bulk of advertising dollars. I know that a lot of downstaters find this annoying, but it is what it is.

I have no problem with putting the smaller games in Champaign. Just get the big school games closer to 90% of the population.

Once the current contract is up I would love to see.....

5 years in DeKalb and 5 years at Illinois State and rotate hosting every other year,

TV is one of the main reason no multiple sites for state finals along with being easier for IHSA staff to manage (people have this assumption they are staffed like the NCAA couldn't be more wrong).

I also don't believe ratings are a big deal to be honest not exactly a huge ad revenue generator compared to other programming (Bulls/Hawks/Cubs/Bears/Sox).

Start times? Again pretty hard to control they try to move everything along as quickly as possible and have improved things such as pregame warmups etc.

1, 3, 5, 7

2, 4, 6, 8

Drop DeKalb and the dump in Champaign, move all games to ISU. IHSA would never split the venue in same year, too many logistical issues.

Reactions: flyerforlife
I'd make three:

First, I'd play the 1A, 3A, 5A and 7A games on Friday, and the other four on Saturday. As it stands now, the 4A game is broadcast in prime time on Friday. Let's face it ... that game doesn't attract much of a TV audience. A 7A game, however, featuring Hersey or Batavia against SR or MC would do much better in the ratings and raise the profile of prep football in the state..

Secondly, I'd move the games to DeKalb on a permanent basis. The Mausoleum in Champaign is an extremely dreary venue.

I'd shorten the awards ceremonies after each game. Does the fourth game of the day ever start less than an hour late? Among other things, you could award the trophies to both schools on the field, but let the schools present the individual medals at their assembly on Monday.

Your suggestions?

I agree with the even odd split (5A and 7A primetimes Friday nite and 6A and 8A primetimes on Saturday nite). Several other states currently have it split even/odd and are already doing that. If they (state associations) have a national meeting - could ask those states how it is working?

If there ever is a private / public split, the # of Thanksgiving weekend games would go down from 8 to 6, helping with the delay problem. There is probably only enough private schools to support 2 classes of 16 team playoffs which would end closer to mid November , and in the higher class, basically a Catholic Metro commemorative series (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

A return to ISU would be great but as long as Brock Spack is there......Home FCS playoff games remain a priority for the Redbirds.

That would make for a very long day. TV would have a huge challenge trying to fill all the down time.

But there isn't much down time. Last game of day already starts close to 8pm most of the time already even though it is supposed to start at 7.

Reactions: Wolffan64
SIUC has the best stadium and should host the championships.
Carbondale?? A bit of a drive considering more teams are coming from the northern half of Illinois. I always liked ISU the best. Perfect sized stadium, centrally located, and can pick up an Avanti's gondola on the way home. :)

Reactions: Sweets0823
SIUC has the best stadium and should host the championships.

I was on media advisory when SIU just opened and they definitely drew some consideration. What hurts besides the obvious distance from a huge majority of schools is the fact that Southern Illinois teams don't wind up in the finals as much as I think people assume they do. They had done a pretty in depth research loom into it and the percentage was smaller than I expected.

Carbondale?? A bit of a drive considering more teams are coming from the northern half of Illinois. I always liked ISU the best. Perfect sized stadium, centrally located, and can pick up an Avanti's gondola on the way home. :)

Where teams come from is irrelevant for the State Championship. What matters is the best game atmosphere for the last game of the season. Southern Illinois would have the most random fan support where each day would be a sell out.

I do like ISU as well but they are not interested.

Where teams come from is irrelevant for the State Championship. What matters is the best game atmosphere for the last game of the season. Southern Illinois would have the most random fan support where each day would be a sell out.

No one would travel to SIU.

The best setup would be Toyota Park but that is not turf so not practical.

Parking in Normal is abysmal, almost like Chicago except minus the stuff. Although I guess the lots would be available for the Thanksgiving weekend.

I also disagree with the odds/even set up. Say I'm going and don't necessarily want to be there 2 days, being an 8A guy the games I am generally most interested in seeing are the large schools. Splitting it isn't going to make me stay, it's going to make me leave. That said I'm probably watching on TV anyways in which case they can pick the order out of a hat. I typically watch all 8 from the comfort of a couch.

How about this: all 16 teams arrive and 7 of them pick their opponent out of a hat, that would be interesting, no? And the Champs aren't classified, each trophy just says Illinois State Champions. I know what you're thinking, but just strap em up and play.

Last edited:
I was on media advisory when SIU just opened and they definitely drew some consideration. What hurts besides the obvious distance from a huge majority of schools is the fact that Southern Illinois teams don't wind up in the finals as much as I think people assume they do. They had done a pretty in depth research loom into it and the percentage was smaller than I expected.

I completely understand that however the experience of traveling and playing in a great venue is really what the kids and Coaches want. Based on the seating at SIUC, you will think that its standing r
No one would travel to SIU.

The best setup would be Toyota Park but that is not turf so not practical.

Chicago folks don't travel to NIU. I am not talking about Chicago fans as to me, they are really non existent outside of the team they support. However Southern Illinois would support not matter who is playing which is big difference to the overall atmosphere. The fans of the team they support will travel to wherever the championship game is played.

Reactions: flyerforlife
Soldier Field will be my choice when they add field turf in 2055!!

My only real gripe is the venue. A more intimate venue would definitely be preferred.

I completely understand that however the experience of traveling and playing in a great venue is really what the kids and Coaches want. Based on the seating at SIUC, you will think that its standing r

Chicago folks don't travel to NIU. I am not talking about Chicago fans as to me, they are really non existent outside of the team they support. However Southern Illinois would support not matter who is playing which is big difference to the overall atmosphere. The fans of the team they support will travel to wherever the championship game is played.

siu would be the best venue. nicest stadium.
5hr ride, jump on the train and tailgate all the way down. then tailgate all day fri and sat.

I would honestly take the title game on the odd year away from Dekalb. Go back to Normal, or Charleston. Heck Carbondale.

NU was involved in some manner with hosting the playoffs, but I don't remember how much or when.

I think that moving games from DeKalb would be a huge mistake. Why leave the stadium serving the largest in the state?

I was there a few years ago, and the crowd seemed to be fine.

siu would be the best venue. nicest stadium.
5hr ride, jump on the train and tailgate all the way down. then tailgate all day fri and sat.
As an Illini & Saluki alum, I believe Memorial Stadium is one of the most majestic stadiums in the country. But it is really too big for the state championships. Saluki Stadium is the right size, in a beautiful setting, but way out of the way (McAndrew's rusting hulk wouldn't even be considered).

There are six major state universities playing football. If all eight classes have to be played at the same place, only Illinois, NIU & ISU make much sense geographically. If you could split the days, EIU, WIU, and SIU could make logical destinations for the small classes, with the big classes at NIU...

Reactions: rfb321
I agree move all the games to ISU every year!

Put the games back on free tv.

Comcast replay the games over night for those of is who also work on weekends.

We need the Honeybears back beginning at the IHSA games.

Battle of the bands at half time.

JCA like tailgating at ISU

High school Superstars competition next to the stadium

Football skills competition next to the stadium for the kids

and miss those ISU Rugby team parties on the weekends at the Rugby house next to Redbird arena

Last edited:
I agree move all the games to ISU every year!

Put the games back on free tv.

Comcast replay the games over night for those of is who also work on weekends.

We need the Honeybears back beginning at the IHSA games.

Battle of the bands at half time.

JCA like tailgating at ISU

High school Superstars competition next to the stadium

Football skills competition next to the stadium for the kids

and miss those ISU Rugby team parties on the weekends at the Rugby house next to Redbird arena
Rugby House was on Kingsley Court but Blue House was across from Hancock, Tri-Towers and ironically, ISU PD station.

I think your talking about the Mike Prior (Packers/ISU/Marian Catholic) Heisman House at ISU

I promise that the next time the games come up for bid ISU will have a horse in the race....if not I'll buy you lunch...

Reactions: mchsalumni

Anything that moves it out of Memorial Stadium is an improvement

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT